WagonR LXi 20 25.64%
Zen Estillo LXi 8 10.26%
Hyundai i10 50 64.10%
Voters: 78. You may not vote on this poll

Old 13th December 2009, 11:30   #1
BHPian

Default Hyundai i10 ERA or WagonR LXi or ZEN Estillo LXi

Which car should i go for:
Hyundai i10 ERA - Costs 3.55L (incl. Insurance and 3 year warranty) after discount
WagaonR LXi - Costs 3.25L (incl. Insurance and 3 year warranty) after discount
ZEN Estillo LXi - Costs 3.51L (incl. Insurance and 3 year warranty) (NO DISCOUNT)

Engines in all 3 cars are of more or less same capacity.
i10 has good interiors, overall good looking car. Fun to drive. Feels a bit cramped compared to WagonR or Estillo.
WagonR has loads of space. Good to drive. Looks are dated.
Estillo got a facelift. Its looking better than before. Better interiors that WagonR, a little less space than WagonR.

Maruti has good A.*.*. so does Hyundai.

Car would be used by parents.

Which one should i go for?

Last edited by SumitBahl : 13th December 2009 at 11:31.
SumitBahl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th December 2009, 11:44   #2
Senior - BHPian

Its purely a personal decision based on whats your criteria:

1) i-10
Pros: Looks, contemprary interior and freshness
Cons: 1.1 ltr Santro engine is not as refined, low trim levels, price

2) Wagon R
Pros: Tried tested, smoother engine compared to i-10 era, space, price
Cons: Dated looks, maybe discontinued in the future

3) Estillo
Pros: K Series Engine and gearbox combination makes it joy to drive
Cons: looks, price, equipment, handling, and works

Rest its your personal decision based on whats your budget and which factors are more priority in your books. i-10 Era looks from a segment higher and would not be dated soon and probably the higher initial cost would be offset by higher resale.
aseem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th December 2009, 12:08   #3
Senior - BHPian

I would suggest a Zen estilo because i am seeing a old couple about 55 years of age using a estilo for 2 yaers now and they are completely satisfied and happy with the car. The dimensions of the car combined with the seating position is very nice and makes it comfortable to drive
manikjeet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th December 2009, 12:29   #4
Senior - BHPian

Of the three, Zen Estilo has the most modern engine (K-Series) and is also the most fuel efficient. However being a 3 cylinder engine vibrations are present which is not the case in i10 and WR.

I would say if FE is the most important criteria for you, go for the Estilo.
If low price and space is what you long for, go for the WagonR.
For best in class interiors and plastic and build quality, go for the i10.

BTW, you might also consider Spark - good to drive and a great value for money car.
DCEite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th December 2009, 13:40   #5
BHPian

Zen estilo (new version) is good , I test drove it a few months back, gear box was smooth unlike earlier zen estilo and wagon R(though i 10 also has a slick gearbox), accelerated smoothly and quickly to 100 with 3 people on board and FE is very good. New shape is also good.

I10 looks vey good and looks to me more spacious, FE should be only 1-2km lower than Zen. It has to be either Zen or I10 in my book whatever looks better to the buyer.
rock75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th December 2009, 14:02   #6
Senior - BHPian

As an i10 owner who has also driven the Wagon R to a fair extent (my uncle owns one), I say go for i10. i10's interiors and build quality is way ahead of WagonR. Also i guess Wagon R is due for a face lift. Cannot comment about Estilo's interiors/ride, but personally I find the face lifted Estilo bearable than the older Estilo which was yuck.
blackasta is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 13th December 2009, 18:27   #7
BHPian

Hummmmmm..........

I have driven i10 1.2 Sportz (My cousin has one). How is the drive in 1.1?
Would you rate it better than Estilo?

I agree, new estilo looks better than older one. Thats the reason i considered it.
SumitBahl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th December 2009, 22:42   #8
BHPian

My younger brother has 1.1 i10 Magna and I do not find its engine unrefined or whatever. It has travelled 11,000 kms now and it is as good as new and its is quite peppy too. He also gets a mileage of about 13 kmpl in city.

Nothing can go wrong with any of the i10s(iRDE or Kappa) and considering your father driving it should be even apt for the iRDE engine of i10.

I suggest i10.
shuvadips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th December 2009, 10:22   #9
BHPian

I10 with 1.1 engine has sufficient power, and i 10 is spacious too, believe me I've seen i10 with 6 adults (mostly heavyweights) in an i 10 during one of those typical marriage ceremony runabouts and it drove without a complaint !
rock75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th December 2009, 15:56   #10
GTO
Team-BHP Support

I'd say the i10. The 1.1 may be a Santro engine, but its got better low end torque than the 1.2 kappa. Plus, the i10s overall quality & interiors are way superior to that of the Wagonr or Estilo.

The new 3 cylinder (A-Star) engine in the Estilo may be fuel efficient, but its horrible to use in the city. Rough idle, jerky at low rpms and all the torque is above 3,000 rpms.
GTO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th December 2009, 16:46   #11
BHPian

SumitBahl,

You have not mentioned your requirements clearly.

I can see that the car would be driven by your parents. What car have they been driving before this ?

What are your other priorities - mileage, cost of ownership, ease of driving, ride quality, build quality, cabin space, boot space, no. of people traveling regularly, typical usage - city/highway etc ?

Also, what will be the typical running of the car (kms per month) ?

Have you considered LPG models (WagonR, Santro, Spark) ?

Most importantly, what is your budget ? Is it slightly flexible ?

Out of the 3 cars which you have currently shortlisted, my choice would be i10 ERA.

i10 ERA (iRDE) is a pleasure to drive in the city and also packs enough punch for the occasional highway drives.

i10 has more cabin space than WagonR and Estilo, although boot space may be slightly lesser compared to WagonR and Estilo.

i10 has much better fit and finish compared to WagonR and Estilo. It looks and feels like a higher segment car.

i10 ERA comes with front power windows, rear child locks, tubeless tyres. IIRC, these features are not present in WagonR Lxi and Estilo Lxi.

WagonR and Estilo are also not bad. After all, they come with the Maruti badge.

IMHO, WagonR and Estilo are comparatively less drivable in the city - WagonR because of the vague and wobbly gearbox and Estilo because of the lack of low end torque in the 3-cylinder engine.

My sincere advice would be to stay away from aging models (WagonR/Santro), unless you are interested in LPG models.

Rohan,
Bangalore
rohan_iitr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th December 2009, 17:09   #12
BHPian

i10 is a relatively new product compared to Estilo & Wagon R. Its always good to go in for the latest technology, style & features.

New Estilo is just an upgraded product, personally I don’t like it much.
Wagon R is a good product reaching it end of its product life cycle. Wagon R is replaced by Suzuki Splash/ Ritz in the European markets
tj123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th December 2009, 17:23   #13
Senior - BHPian

If you want the best FE, hassle free maintenance and a relatively hassle free product go for the Estilo. If you want decent FE, refined engine,hassle free maintenance and a hassle free product go for the WagonR. If you want beige interiors, good rear seat, good plastics and good build with some sacrifice in FE and maintenance costs go for the i10. In short the Marutis will give you better FE and are relatively trouble free to maintain. They hold onto their resale values much better than the Hyundais. The i10 has that solid build feeling(compared to Estilo and WagonR). The plastics are way better than the Marutis and is a newer product compared to the other two. Take your pick depending on what is more suitable to your specific requirements.

Last edited by longhorn : 14th December 2009 at 17:29.
longhorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th December 2009, 17:25   #14
BHPian

I would say go for the i10 . Maybe its just me but i preferred the 1.1L engine over the 1.2 kappa for city driving. Seems much more peppy.

We have a wagonr in the family and though thats a nice car when new, it rattles a lot after few years of use. Fuel consumption almost same for wagonr and i10 1.1 L . Cant comment on Estilo because have not driven the K series engine zen as yet.

You wouldnt go wrong with an i10 . Good year end discounts are available on the same.
manishkapadia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th December 2009, 21:30   #15
BHPian

Since you have already added the kind of cars; why don't you wait for the new wagonR lauch which might be a few months away; and if it has the ritz engine then that would be an icing on the cake.

If you are in an urgency; then i think zen estillo would be a good choice; I am also thinking of buying a small car for my parents, but now since the auto expo is around a wait and watch mode, should be good.

Name:  new_suzuki_wagon_r_front.jpg
Views: 19270
Size:  29.8 KB
Fraz33r is offline   Reply With Quote