Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > What Car? > Hatchbacks

Old 21st December 2009, 15:25   #16
Senior - BHPian

why not consider nano car ?
black12rr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st December 2009, 17:48   #17
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Considering that you like the WagonR, I'd say go for it. And no, considering the healthy sales of the car, Maruti wouldn't discontinue the Wagon anytime soon.

I would have recommended the auto to you, but Maruti's AT box is a lousy 3 speed. You are better off with the manual.
GTO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st December 2009, 21:05   #18
BHPian

My two bits being 6'2" and a 100kg myself:
The Indica / Indica Vista cannot be beaten for big guys from the following perspective:
# Ease of ingress & egress
# No knee knocking anywhere
# Ample space in the wheel well to relax and move feet about at signals / jams
# Great Headroom!
# Wide supportive seats
viper_711 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st December 2009, 21:09   #19
Senior - BHPian

Wagon-R is poor on the highways unless you limit yourself to 80 kmp but as a pure city car, its hard to beat. I would still recommend the Indica Vista Quadrajet simply because for the price of a base Ritz you get the loaded to gills Vista which also enjoys more space, better ride and almost similar performance.
Vista would be my choice.
extreme_torque is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 21st December 2009, 21:23   #20
BHPian

Palio..I know its a bit old model. But looking at the price brackets that you are expressing interests for, Palio should be an ideal fit. No other hatch with so much space and solid build quality. And if you get the palio 1.6 sports, nothing like it .
s3va is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st December 2009, 21:38   #21
BHPian

My two bits here, since I am 6' 2 myself and we own WagonR in our family I can vouch for the ease comfort and enough legroom that this car offers. Go for it since yours is mainly going to be city driving. Even on highways it pulls a decent 80 to 100 kmph as the situation demands.
The common sense and practicality in space of this car is hard to beat. Another plus point being the reliability low cost of maintenance. I would rather suggest you go for pre owned ones.
amikacin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st December 2009, 22:28   #22
Senior - BHPian

It is a good idea. If it is not so urgent let you wait till the auto expo. Some time some new and cheaper car might also appear.
navan49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st December 2009, 22:36   #23
Distinguished - BHPian

We already have WR's replacement. Estilo is better looking and has better interiors .

Like viper said, check out Indica Vista.

Quote:
Originally Posted by black12rr View Post
why not consider nano car ?
Is the booking open and I guess he want a car now
jkdas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st December 2009, 22:45   #24
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrnsss View Post
I am 6'1'' and weigh 113 kgs. I loath driving in the city and I need a car that can seat me comfortably.

It wold be handy to have a Ritz if I have to make a quick run to Bangalore or mayiladuthurai. Love it's funky looks and I have seen Swifts hauling a$$ on the highway, so Ritz should be able to do atleast 75% of what a swift does.

So between Wagon R and the Ritz DDIS which is better for me ? Not considering the cost.

Please advise
At your weight none of the Maruti vehicles will give you sufficient side support on the front seats, this is my own experience @ 110 Kgs and having driven the Wagon R for sometime, swift since 2008 November and the Ritz occasionally swapped with a friend. I have the feeling of being thrown out of the seat every time I take a curve at anything above 60kmph and the under thigh support is non existant. My shoulders are not sufficiently supported either, it is only the seat belt that holds me back.

For sheer space on the front seat and support on the sides, under thigh support and around the shoulders I would recommend the UvA. I have an Aveo 1.6 and the front seats and space in both cars is same. You can drive endlessly without any fatigue. Plus on days when you are driven the back seat has enough leg & head room for a 6 footer.
khoj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st December 2009, 23:59   #25
Senior - BHPian

Khoj might be the real practical man of your size. What he tells might be true. We are all telling with assumptions only. So just give a try on that areas of his suggestions and see which one is comfortable for you.
navan49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd December 2009, 00:03   #26
Senior - BHPian

im 6 1' and well over 110 kilos and never had a problem in the fiat palio.
buy a fiat palio diesel and forget about your worries.
not yet tried the punto but im guessing it too will be comfy.
vinaydas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd December 2009, 01:05   #27
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by navan49 View Post
Khoj might be the real practical man of your size. What he tells might be true. We are all telling with assumptions only. So just give a try on that areas of his suggestions and see which one is comfortable for you.
Navan49 you are correct, my statements in the earlier mail and this one are based on actual driving experiences in the cars mentioned.

Gravitationally we are almost equal but vertically I am beat by 7". Having said that if I lack under thigh support rrnsss would definitely be uncomfortable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinaydas View Post
im 6 1' and well over 110 kilos and never had a problem in the fiat palio.
buy a fiat palio diesel and forget about your worries.
not yet tried the punto but im guessing it too will be comfy.
+1 to that.
How could I forget the Palio. Guided or goaded my uncle to buy one about 3 yeras back. He is 5'10" and around 90 kgs. Both of us have driven his car extensively in city and on the Delhi-Panchkula-Shimla stretch and no complaints on the front seats or back ones for that matter.

Vinaydas is as close you could get to someone being the same weight and height. Go ahead and try out the Fiat, maybe you could get the 1.6L 100 bhp hot hatch and drop the Swifts for dead on your highway runs.

Last edited by khoj : 22nd December 2009 at 01:06.
khoj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd December 2009, 06:06   #28
BHPian

I am going to check out the Indica Vista QJ today. I am not too comfortable with Palio as I am afraid of the spares availability and service.

The seat support problem in Maruti can be fixed by koyas in Coimbatore. SO that is not a show stopper for me. I just like the peace of mind a Maruti after sales service gives. Same is true for Tata too even though Suzuki is thought of being slightly upmarket.

The Reva costs 4.3L with A/C and that is a bit too much for an electric car.

Ram
rrnsss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd December 2009, 06:23   #29
BHPian

Hi,

I would suggest you to consider Swift. My Cousin had the same problem he is 6.2" Tall and he had drive most of the higher Segment cars in US.After test driving a lot of cars in India he felt the most comfortable one as Swift.It has got a very good Leg Space in the front.He finds it completely comfortable to drive without any knee contacts with the Car..
Just take a Test Drive,you might like it.
cedizen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd December 2009, 08:06   #30
BHPian

Hello, I think you should consider the wagon R.

My cousin in Pune is 6.3 , he and his family are very comfortable with Wagon R and also another cousin in Bangalore has a Wagon R too, he is 6.2 .

Since, its only for commuting through traffic every day for work and you have other motors at home, I would ask you stick to lower budget/comfy cars.

My vote to Wagon R, it may be 1.1 , but I think it has has a 16valve engine , which is good and you will be very comfortable in it.
vdiatech is offline   Reply With Quote