Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > What Car? > Hatchbacks

Old 30th December 2009, 19:11   #16
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pragmites View Post
I drove a Grand Punto Active ( Petrol) from Pune to Mahabaleshwar. Very easy to drive in traffic, great on the highway. The owner is a lady doctor who is 5ft 2 " tall and drives primarily in the city (from hospital to hospital/clinic) and another "kimi raikonnen". She has no problems with maneuverability/parking/etc. She has upgraded from Wagon-R and loves the car. Although the engine is 1.2, it is quite peppy and I find it very smooth. I need not add anything on ride and handling.

Pune OTR is about 4.5 lakhs if no discounts are available. If they still have free insurance/ extended warranty, the price will be lower. And by now you are getting premium A** from TASS.

If you are not in a hurry, how about the Polo ( expected April 2010)?
geeash here has mentioned that he would be traversing narrow roads
- with all due respect, both the cars you suggested have the highest turning radius among hatchbacks in India !
blackasta is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 30th December 2009, 19:20   #17
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by geeash View Post
Is this auto expo going to be a big thing?. i dont mind waiting as i said in my post!!.
Heck yeah!! You got the Toyota Etios, Chevy Beat , Honda's concept hatch, VW Polo. I would choose between the Hyundai i10 or the Ritz Petrol. Though i feel i10 suits your needs.
karanraheja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th December 2009, 19:27   #18
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackasta View Post
geeash here has mentioned that he would be traversing narrow roads
- with all due respect, both the cars you suggested have the highest turning radius among hatchbacks in India !
I agree that with the large turning radius you may not be able to make a U-turn on a narrow road. But the point I was making is that the Punto is quite maneuverable-and that's coming from someone who has been driving a WagonR.
Pragmites is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th December 2009, 22:27   #19
Senior - BHPian

@pragmites

No mate!. i dont wanna go for punto as it is a fairly large car and its turning radius is equal to that of linea nearly. The sole purpose will be defeated then!!
geeash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st December 2009, 09:41   #20
Senior - BHPian

I see most of you recommending i10 here. will have a look at it.

but is it worth a wait for all these newer cars like polo, figo, micra, etios and others which are coming next year?

I see i10 having a good kappa engine 1.2 which is zippy and good to handle, but isee many reports here that it is not frugal in FE. is it so?

Does automatic decrease the FE? if yess how gross will be the reduction?.

i domnt want to get a car and have my father bashing me if it gives 6kmpl for a litre of petrol. for a small hatch i atleast expect 10-11kmpl for city driving as even my linea gives 11-12.5kmpl inside city with full a/c on, not to mention the highwaydrive where it scores 23/litre of petrol!!
geeash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st December 2009, 10:09   #21
Senior - BHPian

Go for i10 1.1, it's not only value for money in that price tag but your parents will be very happy with seating position provided. However, if you can strech you can also opt for i10 Auto.
ashthedivx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st December 2009, 10:13   #22
BHPian

Hey doc, i have been in a similar dilemma on which city car to pick and have a similar budget too... and no time constraints !

As of now, i have zeroed in on the i10 Sports Auto and i am quite convinced that this is the best suited car for our requirements, it is probably a few thousands more than 5L, so, if you would like to consider something cheaper then Spark was the next contender when i was deciding, but the issue is I am 6' tall and found my left leg constantly hitting the center console while driving... i felt it quite cramped in that area... but for short drives to the bazaar, i am sure its something you can live with and the dimensions are good enough to compete with the rickshaws in chennai city traffic !

Since i am not in a hurry, i have decided to wait for the new cars to release in Q1 2010, if not for anything, atleast for a better bargain on the i10 because more competition means more discounts !!

I would consider a Jazz too if Honda slashes the price considerably or if i win a lottery, though the chances of the latter is more likely than the former
kartho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st December 2009, 11:19   #23
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by geeash View Post
I see most of you recommending i10 here. will have a look at it.

but is it worth a wait for all these newer cars like polo, figo, micra, etios and others which are coming next year?

I see i10 having a good kappa engine 1.2 which is zippy and good to handle, but isee many reports here that it is not frugal in FE. is it so?

Does automatic decrease the FE? if yess how gross will be the reduction?.

i domnt want to get a car and have my father bashing me if it gives 6kmpl for a litre of petrol. for a small hatch i atleast expect 10-11kmpl for city driving as even my linea gives 11-12.5kmpl inside city with full a/c on, not to mention the highwaydrive where it scores 23/litre of petrol!!

I get anything from 12.5 to 13.5 kmpl in 50-50 city/highway, driving my 3 month old i10 A/T.
But there are reports from Tejas's post that as his usage is very less (less than 10 kms a day), so is his FE (7-8 kmpl). You might PM him for latest info or invite him to comment in this thread.
blackasta is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 31st December 2009, 11:46   #24
BHPian

Doc,

All your requirements can be met with a Nano & it certainly will serve your purpose. it would not cost a lot, work like a donkey & you will save some hassles with it.
SamtheLeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st December 2009, 12:40   #25
Senior - BHPian

Aswin,

Hyundai i10 Sportz Auto is less than 5 lakhs in chennai.
My brother bought it before 5 months in Red Color.
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-d...-sportz-1.html (I've got the 'i'..but this time its automatic (Hyundai i10 Sportz AT))

But WagonR is the Best Buy
aks_karthik is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 31st December 2009, 14:02   #26

Best bet: Spark PS (next best i10)

Reasons -
1. Reasonable FE: 12-15 in the city (as per TBHP member feedback)
2. Tight turning radius (prob the best in class)
3. excellent city driveability with super silent operation
4. Power steering will help a lot
5. Small size and foot print (like a rickshaw )
6. Cute looks (should appeal to the BOSSES )
7. Value for Money (excellent offers going on, should be able to get it around 3.4L OTR)
8. No maintenance cost for 3 years
9. Stereo system and central locking being offered free currently

I suggest you take the BOSSES and Dad for a TD, fairly sure they will all find some reason to like it. If not, you always have the Korean option being suggested by others
indiagenie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st December 2009, 16:56   #27
Senior - BHPian

The most different yet practical option suggested by Sam!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamtheLeo View Post
Doc,

All your requirements can be met with a Nano & it certainly will serve your purpose. it would not cost a lot, work like a donkey & you will save some hassles with it.
I second this choice. Spark seems to be the best bet with the 3 years maintenance free option and also the on road price not being as steep as an i10.
Spark PS is the basic variant with Power Steering if i am not wrong.

Quote:
Originally Posted by indiagenie View Post
Best bet: Spark PS (next best i10)

Reasons -
1. Reasonable FE: 12-15 in the city (as per TBHP member feedback)
2. Tight turning radius (prob the best in class)
3. excellent city driveability with super silent operation
4. Power steering will help a lot
5. Small size and foot print (like a rickshaw )
6. Cute looks (should appeal to the BOSSES )
7. Value for Money (excellent offers going on, should be able to get it around 3.4L OTR)
8. No maintenance cost for 3 years
9. Stereo system and central locking being offered free currently

I suggest you take the BOSSES and Dad for a TD, fairly sure they will all find some reason to like it. If not, you always have the Korean option being suggested by others
abhinav.s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st December 2009, 17:34   #28
BHPian

+++ to the suggestions for i10 A/T Magna version. It is a perfect fit for your needs.

If you dont want to spend that much, suggest you look around if you get a used Santro AT.
Can be had for less than 3 L, good condition.
And it is THE PERFECT CITY CAR.
jigbarai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st December 2009, 18:17   #29
Senior - BHPian

Doc,

For something that will be easy on the pocket and on the arms,the following choices can be considered(since they are the latest in Technology )
  1. New Wagon-R(expected Mar2010)
  2. A-Star
  3. Ritz
  4. Chevy Beat
  5. Maruti Eeco(serious - except for bad looks it has everything that is needed in a City car)
I wouldn't recommend anything else. I10 is good but has aged - you never know when Hyundai will bring in a replacement(history is proof)
vigsom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st December 2009, 18:52   #30
BHPian

^^
@ vigsom: They'r still selling the Santro !!
i10 is their next big cash cow in sheer numbers.
If the Hyundai folks have even just a little bit of business accumen - 'you keep doing what you are doing well' ..

Cars (apart from the Palio) are discontinued/phased out only after they dont sell as much as the company expects them to.

Verna might disappear to a newer model (i30), but, i10 is here to stay for a good time.

Last edited by jigbarai : 31st December 2009 at 18:53.
jigbarai is offline   Reply With Quote