Santro(bumpy ride)
Palio, punto(huge turning radius)
Dr.Abhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st December 2009, 22:04   #32
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jigbarai View Post
^^
@ vigsom: They'r still selling the Santro !!
i10 is their next big cash cow in sheer numbers.
If the Hyundai folks have even just a little bit of business accumen - 'you keep doing what you are doing well'
True - but we've seen many "versions" of the Santro - from the '98 launch to the 2000 cosmetic upgrade to 2003 Xing to Xing ERlX

Same with i10 - the IRDE came in the i10 when it was launched and now Magna,Sportz and upwards have the 1.2 litre Kappa

Hapless consumers will be at the receiving end with such "quick" changes since spares would be an issue after sometime .

Quote:
Originally Posted by jigbarai View Post
^^

Cars (apart from the Palio) are discontinued/phased out only after they dont sell as much as the company expects them to.
Not always - the 2004 Esteem,Zen,Zen Estilo were doing quite well but see - all gave way to new cars/versions.

In the end,it is upto Doc to decide on what his heart and his head tells him to do.
vigsom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st January 2010, 11:45   #33
BHPian

Good luck with your search. I am sure the others will help you out here. I just wanted to add that ABs, Airbags and EBD are not goodies. They are essentials which we (including me) compromise on to our peril.
Takumi-san is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st January 2010, 11:58   #34
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vigsom View Post
True - but we've seen many "versions" of the Santro - from the '98 launch to the 2000 cosmetic upgrade to 2003 Xing to Xing ERlX

Same with i10 - the IRDE came in the i10 when it was launched and now Magna,Sportz and upwards have the 1.2 litre Kappa

Hapless consumers will be at the receiving end with such "quick" changes since spares would be an issue after sometime .
I do not think spares would be an issue with i10 - its selling by truckloads every month!
There is nothing different between the 1.1 and 1.2 liter variants saving the engine (to the best of my knowledge).
blackasta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st January 2010, 12:42   #35
BHPian

Geeash,

I would highly recommend the Spark. I've been driving this beauty for 3 months now and its an absolute pleasure to drive. We had almost the same requirements as yours (Dad has a Civic). Mine is a High end model LT which cost me 3.9 Lacs OTR Bangalore.

Fuel Economy is good, I'm getting 13.5 to 14 kmpl in the city. As far as interiors are concerned, the thing that the interiors are small is a myth. Just sit inside a Wagon R and then try Spark. There is a world of difference... The fit and finish is good compared to either Alto, Wagon R or the Estilo. The engine is peppy and SUPER SILENT. I would not say much... Just test drive this vehicle and you will know what i'm talking about.

Anant.
anantu2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st January 2010, 21:11   #36
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anantu2001 View Post
Fuel Economy is good, I'm getting 13.5 to 14 kmpl in the city. As far as interiors are concerned, the thing that the interiors are small is a myth. Just sit inside a Wagon R and then try Spark.
The rear legroom and seat in the Spark is definitely better than the WagonR. But other than that, front seat legroom, overall headroom and boot space is more in the WagonR. Infact, for tall drivers (like me, 5,11) there is problem of knees touching the central console of the Spark. Also, the overall visibility (specially the front) is one area where WagonR excels.

But yes, Spark is a great VFM car. WIth 3 years maintainance package, its an even sweeter deal. I wished GM came with a upgraded Spark with smaller steering wheel, better front seats (current ones lack any thigh support) and redesigned central console. Would be such a great city hatchback then!
DCEite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st January 2010, 21:30   #37
Senior - BHPian

Doctor, i feel you need to focus on just 3 cars
- i10 Automatic
- Spark
- Beat

The Automatic would mean it would be much easier for your father and wife to drive it.
If you dont want to spend that much go for the Spark - REal VFM car and very easy to drive. The BEat would be more funky and "NEW"
gemithomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd January 2010, 02:30   #38
BHPian

i10 is my preference as it has best comfort for drivers compare to other small cars especially the clutch/gear shift is very smooth, even the automatic version is great but bit expensive both purchase and maintenance (fuel)
raka1o is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th January 2010, 09:25   #39
Senior - BHPian

Great to see all the advice flowing. Going to schedule testdrive of i10 and spark / beat this week.

meanwhile keep your thoughts flowing

One more question

can someone tell me how much FE reduction can i expect if i choose a automatic?

What about the maintanence cost of auto tranny?
geeash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th January 2010, 10:49   #40
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by geeash View Post
Great to see all the advice flowing. Going to schedule testdrive of i10 and spark / beat this week.
Excellent choice... I am sure any of the 3 cars you pick you cant go wrong. Except that, if you pick an AT your wife / mom can also drive in case of emergencies ! Considering this is a stand by car, i think it should cover all requirements !!

meanwhile keep your thoughts flowing

One more question

can someone tell me how much FE reduction can i expect if i choose a automatic?

What about the maintanence cost of auto tranny?
Since you are expecting to use this car mostly for City driving there would hardly be any difference in FE, but yes, it may be prudent to expect 1 - 2 kms less FE than the MT.

Atleast in the first 40 - 50k kms I dont think there would be any difference in the maintenance costs... that would be more than sufficient for you, considering the fact that this car would be mostly used for city/short drives only.

When you are done with your TD of the cars, do share your findings, i am sure it would be interesting to hear what you thought of these cars in comparison ! Happy Testdriving !

Last edited by kartho : 4th January 2010 at 10:50.
kartho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th January 2010, 12:00   #41
Senior - BHPian

Maintenance cost of an autobox can be greatly reduced by prudent use of brakes. Generally in autobox cars, there is little engine braking and you solely depend on your brakes to slow your car down. So by not flying between signals when there is a red light ahead can save your brakes, and thus make them last longer.
Also, there is lesser chance of gear linkage related problems/over revving problems/engine lugging problems with the autobox. It may not be fun as how an autobox shifts, but its sure the ideal way to make your engine/transmission last long!
Also you need much more tranmission oil for an autobox (eg: around 6 litres for an i10), but you change that after long gaps.

Last edited by blackasta : 4th January 2010 at 12:01.
blackasta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th January 2010, 23:42   #42
Senior - BHPian

Thats a good info blasckasta

thanks

now the chevy beat pricing is also announced and the middle variant only costs 3.94 l. i am going to have a look at it too.

what a great time to anounce a stonker of a pricing , just when i need a small car!!
Old 5th January 2010, 15:56   #43
BHPian

Hey Ashwin, I personally feel for B'lore as well as Chennai's traffic conditions an automatic is a no-brainer.
pranava999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th January 2010, 10:33   #44
Senior - BHPian

Went and checked out BEAT yesterday. Car looked beautiful, But interior is not as big as its exterior. Formal testdrive at sundaram motors was not available as the car has not gone to RTO. Seems the official launch in chennai is only on tuesday and TD will be available only after that

Will write about my opinion after the TD

I am looking at i10 option too probably asta without sunroof / magna 1.2 and loads of other cars as well.

In TD mode this week
Old 13th January 2010, 15:32   #45
BHPian

I would trust Hyundai's quality over Chevy any day. Chevys in India are basically rebadged Daewoos, remember that.

The i10 and i20 are far better in terms of reliability and service.

The base VW polo could also be an option.
prashant03 is offline   Reply With Quote