Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > What Car? > Hatchbacks

Old 15th January 2010, 00:19   #46
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vishwask82 View Post

Reddy@Hyd -> Thanks for your suggestion. As you own i20 magna, can you tell me in detail about it's behaviour, performance, ride/handling? How does it behave with all 5 on board? does it beg for more power?

Thank you.

Regards,

Vish
You wont notice any sound while you are driving,engine is so smooth.
Best thing i liked is gear shifting.it is so smooth.I took 5 on board only few times,i didn't feel under power at any day. Handling is great. Recently i got some time to ride during night without any traffic(Jubilee Check post to Hi tech city - good road with steep turns),Handling was amazing.Steering was so good that i handled with ease even on speed of 100KPH.
Even in highways -was able to touch 140KPH with ease (4 on board with AC on)
I20 is best for city driving IMO
Reddy@Hyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th January 2010, 11:23   #47
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reddy@Hyd View Post
You wont notice any sound while you are driving,engine is so smooth.
Best thing i liked is gear shifting.it is so smooth.I took 5 on board only few times,i didn't feel under power at any day. Handling is great. Recently i got some time to ride during night without any traffic(Jubilee Check post to Hi tech city - good road with steep turns),Handling was amazing.Steering was so good that i handled with ease even on speed of 100KPH.
Even in highways -was able to touch 140KPH with ease (4 on board with AC on)
I20 is best for city driving IMO
Thanks Reddy..How is the ground clearance with 5 on board? Did you upgade your tyres from OEM? i20 Magna and Asta have different set of tyres with different specifications, right? Which one do you have?

Regards,

Vish
vishwask82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th January 2010, 22:38   #48
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vishwask82 View Post
Thanks Reddy..How is the ground clearance with 5 on board? Did you upgade your tyres from OEM? i20 Magna and Asta have different set of tyres with different specifications, right? Which one do you have?

Regards,

Vish
Yes vish,magna and asta has different spec's
Magna: 175/70 R14,Asta: 185/65 R14
i didn't upgrade my tyres.As i said there were only few occasions where i had 5 on board.I feel ground clearence is good,but sometimes i hear a thud sound when i go a little bit speed on speed breakers. donno which is causing that
Reddy@Hyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th January 2010, 17:12   #49
BHPian

My -ve expreince with I20 asta in 10months &10020kms of driving is the ground clearence.
with 5 on board you to have be extremely careful and slowly manover the speed breakers, potholes & steep slopes, while others easily pass through.
sree70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th January 2010, 20:10   #50
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sree70 View Post
My -ve expreince with I20 asta in 10months &10020kms of driving is the ground clearence.
with 5 on board you to have be extremely careful and slowly manover the speed breakers, potholes & steep slopes, while others easily pass through.
@ Sree70 -> Thank you..Any other -ves that you have discovered till date? This would be very helpful in deciding my first hatch. I will probably go for i20 Magna or Ritz ZXi..Ur thoughts?

Regards,

Vish
vishwask82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th January 2010, 07:41   #51
Senior - BHPian

Well, to the thread starter as well as for vishwask82, I would recommend that you should take a look at the Figo, if you read GTO's review, the car truly has no flaws (with the petrol being slightly underpowered). It might be a good idea to wait for the prices to come out.

@vishwask82: If you plan to take the car on the highway, among the cars listed, the Punto wins hands down. If the Dynamic diesel is in your budget, the Punto gives you what no other hatchback can (none!); highest cool index . Read the thread in the Indian Car Scene, where tbhpians are discussing the Fiat First initiative.
Amartya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th January 2010, 08:50   #52
BHPian

@Adabass: Reading your thread feels like I am reading about my dilemma that I had a couple of months ago. I had ditto situation i.e Coming back home after long time, first car in house, features required and budgetary constraints etc. I did alot of research on same all cars that tickled your fancy. I zeroed in on i20. It satisfies all comfort and space needs. It is modern, stylish and would also fit well in your budget too. Go for it matey.

Also from my personal experience, asking friends and family to go & choose a car for you may not leave a smile on your face at the end as they'll like what they like not you. If you know someone whom you know well & share the same taste is a different story altogether.

OT: That's a different story I ended up buying an i10 despite the fact I didn't like the car. No offence to i10 owners, it just didn't fancy me but parents loved it (and that's whom the car for).

Regards
Punzabi
Punzabi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd July 2012, 17:22   #53
BHPian

Default Re: Skoda Fabia vs Hyundai i20 vs Suzuki Swift?

I stumbled upon this thread after a long time and I thought I should update what I chose to do. I bought a Honda Jazz because we fell in love with the car when we test rode it. It has been >2 yr ownership now and I still feel so happy when I get up in the morning and step in it for a drive.

What I love -
1. The amazing looks
2. Airbags
3. No outside sound in cabin
4. Dashboard space/cupholders
5. Boot space/general space. Have carried exercise cycle, 2 big trunks in it without breaking a sweat. I know I have space when I need it.

What I dont like -
1. The low ground clearance
2. Climate control absence
adabass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd July 2012, 20:44   #54
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by adabass View Post
...5. Boot space/general space. Have carried exercise cycle, 2 big trunks in it without breaking a sweat. I know I have space when I need it.

What I dont like -
1. The low ground clearance
2. Climate control absence
adabass, a bit OT ..."exercise cycle, 2 big trunks" - Wow! That's a load. But with that much in the back, the low ground clearance must definitely be an issue? I mean, does loading up the vehicle that much exacerbate the GC issue noticeably?
CowlFlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd July 2012, 20:48   #55
BHPian

Yes, the GC becomes an issue. With 4 full sized adults (~300 kgs) I have scraped the bottom on big speedbreakers. I have talked to the mechanics about this and they have said minor scraping is not an issue as the material below is quite tough. I have travelled with 4 full sized adults with a full boot (2 check in size large suitcases, 2 cabin bags and 2 duffle/laptop bags) and experienced only minor scraping.
adabass is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 24th July 2012, 12:28   #56
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by adabass View Post
Yes, the GC becomes an issue. With 4 full sized adults (~300 kgs) I have scraped the bottom on big speedbreakers. I have talked to the mechanics about this and they have said minor scraping is not an issue as the material below is quite tough. I have travelled with 4 full sized adults with a full boot (2 check in size large suitcases, 2 cabin bags and 2 duffle/laptop bags) and experienced only minor scraping.
Thanks adabass. They told me quite the same thing - "minor scraping is not an issue as the material below is quite tough". However, to a large extent, it depends on one's driving style, and how you take those speed breakers. From what I noticed in a TD, one has to slow down to almost a standstill before the fronts hit the slope, and accelerate very gently to get the rears over. In short, really baby foot the machine over breakers. Have you tried taking the breakers at an angle, as recommended elsewhere on this forum?

Not sure about the Fabia or the i20 in this aspect, but the swift sails over those same breakers with panache.
CowlFlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th July 2012, 13:02   #57
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CowlFlap View Post
Not sure about the Fabia or the i20 in this aspect, but the swift sails over those same breakers with panache.
I cannot comment about a "new" swift. But my family is a HEAVY family - 5 members totalling ~400kgs and the 2010 model swift we were in kissed a lot of those unconventional speedbreakers spread across the Bangalore city. The 45-degree angle can solve these problems to a certain extent but in a crowded city as Bangalore, there rarely is space to do that.

However, we kiss a lot lot fewer speed breakers in my Fabia now. But I would not say NONE!

Can't comment on the i20.
mempheS.D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st July 2012, 10:27   #58
BHPian

Well yes, now I am quite used to it. I just take the breakers quite slow. If you do it at some speed, the up and down motion at some speed causes the suspension to jerk downwards hence hitting it at more impact. The angular take does save the scraping but is not possible everywhere and is dangerous on city roads to try to do that.
adabass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th August 2012, 12:04   #59
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mempheS.D View Post

However, we kiss a lot lot fewer speed breakers in my Fabia now. But I would not say NONE!

I totally agree with you. Though on specs the GC of Fabia is only 156mm(if am not wrong), it hardly feels low. There were very few instances where the speed breakers touch it's underbody.

Just to give an example, there's one close to my home which regularly touches the underbody of my Fiesta and we literally have to come to a halt to drive over it without scraping, but the fabia could just fly by just as any other speed breaker. I know the GC of fiesta is low, but it's just the comparison I noticed.
21Archer84 is offline   Reply With Quote