Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > What Car? > Hatchbacks

Old 7th January 2010, 23:14   #16
Senior - BHPian

IMO, stick with the Swift VDI and get it before April '10. The engine will be tuned for BS IV from April and may not be as peppy as it is now.
rameshnanda is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 8th January 2010, 00:12   #17

Hi mate, it's clear from your write up that decision relies heavily on your dad and not on you. And your dad has already decided on swift. Than why unnecessarily create confusion on first hand. The thing is, your dad is gonna drive it not you, so let him buy the car he wants. Swift is already proven product. VW has miles to cover on A.S.S. and I guess part would be expensive. Beat would be a compromise against swift. Get the VDi and enjoy yourself
indianvirus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th January 2010, 21:35   #18

Originally Posted by DieselFan View Post

I have swift for last 3 years and 52000 kms later I have no regrets of purchasing the same. I would recommend Swift all the way. Beat No way can match swift. As far as Polo is concerned the car is good but has not be tried and tested in India. The Skoda A S S in India (A Sister concern of VW) has been below average in India. Hence my recommendation would be to stick to Swift VDI and not risk 6L by opting for VW Polo.

Does a 1300-1400 KM per month run justify to buy a diesel? I have i20 Asta in my mind.

hsegOY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th January 2010, 22:25   #19

The entry level Polo engines (1.2 petrol and 1.2 diesel) are both 3-cylinder engines and both produce less power than the Swift petrol and diesel engines. The Polo also does not seem to have a significantly better list of features than the Swift.

Reviews of the European Polo have been excellent, but there are significant differences between the European Polo and the Indian Polo (parts have been changed or omitted to save costs), so until it is tested you cant say for sure that the Indian Polo deserves any awards.

The Chevy Beat is the product of one bankrupt company (Daewoo) acquired by another bankrupt company (GM). If you're worried about track record and brand I would be worried about Chevrolet and not about VW (which is the largest selling carmaker in the world, alongside Toyota).

Swift is a proven car for sure. The engines are great for the price (although the 1.3 petrol is old, its very rev happy and quicker than most of the competition, and the 1.3diesel is award-winning). But the Swift's build quality is below that of its peers. The car rattles a lot, so budget for a really loud stereo to cover up the noises.
theEnd is offline   Reply With Quote