Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > What Car? > Hatchbacks


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 17th January 2010, 15:30   #31
BHPian
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Dehradun
Posts: 67
Thanked: 23 Times
Default

I was facing a similiar dilemma, but eventually zeroed on the Jazz for peace of mind (engine/performance/space and Honda reliability) and the around 40,000 discount dealer is throwing in. The only problem holding me back is : (i) since its selling in such small numbers (269 last month) I am afraid that if the vehicles production is discontinued or sales do not go up, its maintenence and spares will be expensive.(ii) Also like the Matiz resale price will really take a knocking.Will be gateful for advice from BHPians as the offer is valid only for 1-2 days - till 2009 stock lasts.
amit162 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th January 2010, 15:55   #32
Senior - BHPian
 
karanraheja's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Coimbatore
Posts: 1,915
Thanked: 233 Times
Default

I think you need to wait for the Polo 1.6 ( i heard its not Jetta's motor) . Not confirmed though. I think it would be a close tie between Polo vs Jazz.
karanraheja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th January 2010, 16:25   #33
Team-BHP Support
 
suhaas307's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 8,053
Thanked: 6,597 Times
Default

The Jazz actually would be our immediate/default choice because my parents are extremely happy with Honda's service and their products' reliability. The only thing that's pushing us away from the Jazz is its width (and I would personally love it if it had been available with the City's 1.5 ivtec motor)

The Figo is an interesting prospect. We always loved the Fusion and it seemed to be a great car. The Figo looks to be designed and engineered along the same lines as the Fusion, minus the SUV-ish stance and poise. But the thing that's pushing us away from the Figo is our past experience with Ford. We used to own a Ford Ikon 1.6ZXi and it was a fantastic car. But it was let down by some pretty poor servicing. We weren't treated well by the service centre/dealer. It wasn't a horrifying experience but it was definitely a forgettable one.

I'm in love with the Grande Punto and I would do anything to try and get one parked in our garage soon! My dad says that Fiat doesn't have a future in India or something like that. But some convincing later on might help!

The Ritz seems to be a great car. And I have this uncanny feeling that it's going to end up taking the Santro's space! And to be honest, I wouldn't mind it because it's a great little car!

The Beat is a good option and we might consider it as well (Even though it's kinda Korean)! It isn't too wide so it would fit in our parking spot nicely and from what I've heard, it's powered by quite a sprightly motor! One thing's for sure, if we would get it, we wouldn't get it in that Lamborghini green!

The i20 is out of contention. (1) It's Korean (No offense people) and (2) it's extremely wide and wouldn't fit in our parking spot! And we aren't really fans of the i10 either.

We're eagerly waiting for the introduction of the VW Polo as it might change things for us slightly. I'm hoping it would come with a 1.6 very soon! Also hoping that it would fit neatly in our parking spot! Fingers crossed!

The Micra/March too has caught our attention but we're not as keen as we are about the Polo.

Our test drive session has been postponed to the first week of February. That's when we get cracking! I will keep all of you'll posted!

And again, thank you all!
suhaas307 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th January 2010, 16:31   #34
oss
BHPian
 
oss's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Chennai
Posts: 683
Thanked: 4 Times
Default

Polo 1.6 is the way to go; guess you are already drawn towards it.

Hope VW launches it in the 7lac ex-showroom price point, which will push Jazz out of reckoning, space not withstanding.

Last edited by oss : 17th January 2010 at 16:32.
oss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th January 2010, 17:18   #35
BHPian
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Dehradun
Posts: 67
Thanked: 23 Times
Default

I checked up the Polo. 3 were being test driven in Mumbai Pune Express way. The cars had the Fabia 1.3 engine with a lighter body and the FE was 16 km/l as told by the test drivers. It however reminded of of a mix of Zen and Fabia.The rear space was akin to Fabia and entry exit was not as convenient/the feeling of space was not akin to jazz. No offense to any one but the Polo did not excite me - looked rather bland. I may be wrong.
amit162 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th January 2010, 21:41   #36
BHPian
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Dehradun
Posts: 67
Thanked: 23 Times
Default

I finally bought the Jazz on 25th Jan. The tie was between the blue and the white one. It was finally the white though perhaps blue would have been great as well. After driving it now I wonder where was the question of another car?? The performance and driving comfort is way above the competition. With the super smooth engine and all the essential features and the slightly high seating position (as compared to i20 and the Polo) - there is no other car near it.Excellent turning circle and visibility make it as easy to drive in narrow , congested roads as my old Santro. The car is less wide than the Swift and more compact then the Dzire but has ample boot space.
amit162 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th January 2010, 22:08   #37
BHPian
 
Cartman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 408
Thanked: 220 Times
Default

Hey Suhas!!

Go for the Eeco. Doesn't cost much. Blow your money on ICE and bling then.

Jokes apart,
I'd suggest you to go with the Ritz Zxi. Fully loaded and ready to dart around whenever you need to.

Adding to that, go through the Figo's test-drive review. Will help you with the positives and the negatives. Secondly, go through the ownership reviews of the shortlisted cars. That should give you a rough idea how your owning experience should/could/can be.

Test drive all of them and see which car feels right. Hope you get what I mean.

Cheers!

Cartman.
Cartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th January 2010, 23:13   #38
Team-BHP Support
 
suhaas307's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 8,053
Thanked: 6,597 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by amit162 View Post
I finally bought the Jazz on 25th Jan. The tie was between the blue and the white one. It was finally the white though perhaps blue would have been great as well. After driving it now I wonder where was the question of another car?? The performance and driving comfort is way above the competition. With the super smooth engine and all the essential features and the slightly high seating position (as compared to i20 and the Polo) - there is no other car near it.Excellent turning circle and visibility make it as easy to drive in narrow , congested roads as my old Santro. The car is less wide than the Swift and more compact then the Dzire but has ample boot space.
First of all, Congratulations!

The Jazz is a brilliant car! I've always had a soft corner for it! It's a hot favourite in my list! If It's not the Punto, I'd go in for the Jazz! The only grouse is that it may not fit in our garage and that would make us choose something smaller. Something like a Ritz or the Beat perhaps?

We're going to start our test drive sessions next week! I can hardly wait! We'll see if the Jazz fits nicely in our slot. If it doesn't then I guess there is no point in even considering it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cartman View Post
Hey Suhas!!

Go for the Eeco. Doesn't cost much. Blow your money on ICE and bling then.

Jokes apart,
I'd suggest you to go with the Ritz Zxi. Fully loaded and ready to dart around whenever you need to.

Adding to that, go through the Figo's test-drive review. Will help you with the positives and the negatives. Secondly, go through the ownership reviews of the shortlisted cars. That should give you a rough idea how your owning experience should/could/can be.

Test drive all of them and see which car feels right. Hope you get what I mean.

Cheers!

Cartman.
Thank you for your suggestion, Eric! Several others just like you suggested the Ritz! It's a great car and like I said earlier, if the larger hatches don't fit, the Ritz and the Beat are going to have to fight it out to earn the spot!

The Figo is a good option but again, it's quite a large hatch and plus, we haven't had the best of experiences with Ford when we had our Ikon earlier this decade!
suhaas307 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th January 2010, 07:34   #39
BHPian
 
hrmanju1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 184
Thanked: 0 Times
Default

I waited a long time for Polo price/specs. Huge fan of Polo Looks and 1.6L Petrol. Got bored one day as no further info coming from VW on whether Polo 1.6 will be released in march or not? So i went to Honda dealer to look at other options. Took my wife along. After she spent 30 minutes inside Jazz, kaput goes the choice of Polo from her mind.

Even i was super duper impressed with Jazz. Awesome use of every inch of space. It reeks of quality. But the thought of owning a VW is keeping me away from singing on the paper.

Note: I am an EX Honda owner yearning for a VW. No complaints on Honda though
hrmanju1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th January 2010, 09:50   #40
BHPian
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Mumbai/BLR/USA
Posts: 928
Thanked: 190 Times
Default

If price is not an issue then I will pick the following cars

1. Jazz
2. I20
tj123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th January 2010, 09:57   #41
Senior - BHPian
 
shankar.balan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: BLR
Posts: 8,027
Thanked: 5,325 Times
Default

Price No bar? Seriously?

In which case - why not the Nissan 370Z - a lovely little super-sports hatch with the grunt to match the looks!

Or (slightly down to earth) - when the Fiat Bravo comes in, it will be a very desirable vehicle to own I think!

More down to earth - hang in there and consider the foll:

VW Polo top end spec
Ford Figo top end spec

of the currently available ones...

Honda Jazz top end spec and spend lots of money to seriously Jazz it up!
Hyundai I 20 top end spec
Grande Punto top end spec with the newly upgraded engine
Skoda Fabia top end spec
shankar.balan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th January 2010, 11:15   #42
Team-BHP Support
 
suhaas307's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 8,053
Thanked: 6,597 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by hrmanju1 View Post
I waited a long time for Polo price/specs. Huge fan of Polo Looks and 1.6L Petrol. Got bored one day as no further info coming from VW on whether Polo 1.6 will be released in march or not? So i went to Honda dealer to look at other options. Took my wife along. After she spent 30 minutes inside Jazz, kaput goes the choice of Polo from her mind.

Even i was super duper impressed with Jazz. Awesome use of every inch of space. It reeks of quality. But the thought of owning a VW is keeping me away from singing on the paper.

Note: I am an EX Honda owner yearning for a VW. No complaints on Honda though
The Jazz is a very impressive hatch! No doubt about that! Coupled with Honda's bullet proof after-sales, service and reliability (that we're quite familiar with), it's a killer car! And since we don't have any hang ups about spending 9 lakhs for, it's the default choice! The only issue is that it might not fit in our garage! And this is killing me! Waiting for the 1st week of Feb when the test drive sessions start.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tj123 View Post
If price is not an issue then I will pick the following cars

1. Jazz
2. I20
Please read earlier posts, Sir.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
Price No bar? Seriously?

In which case - why not the Nissan 370Z - a lovely little super-sports hatch with the grunt to match the looks!

Or (slightly down to earth) - when the Fiat Bravo comes in, it will be a very desirable vehicle to own I think!

More down to earth - hang in there and consider the foll:

VW Polo top end spec
Ford Figo top end spec

of the currently available ones...

Honda Jazz top end spec and spend lots of money to seriously Jazz it up!
Hyundai I 20 top end spec
Grande Punto top end spec with the newly upgraded engine
Skoda Fabia top end spec
Haha, Shankar, I was looking forward to reading your suggestions in this thread! I've finally got it today!

When I said, "price no bar", I meant a common hatch that's available in India. Barring the Beetle, the 500 and the Bravo and the like! Something that's under 9 lakhs!

The Skoda Fabia and the Hyundai i20 are out of contention as of now! The Fabia's petrol mill isn't inspiring although it's a great car! We will test drive it! The i20 isn't my cup of tea as I'm quite biased! Not a fan of anything from Korea! The Jazz is a great car and so is the Punto!

Come February first week and this thread would get some updates from me!

Last edited by suhaas307 : 28th January 2010 at 11:19.
suhaas307 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th January 2010, 15:24   #43
Senior - BHPian
 
sbraj's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: B L R / T V M
Posts: 1,071
Thanked: 4 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by suhaas307 View Post
The i20 isn't my cup of tea as I'm quite biased! Not a fan of anything from Korea!
I am not trying to convince you on i20, but have a look at the following Fortune Magazine article on Hyundai.
Hyundai smokes the competition - Jan. 5, 2010
sbraj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th January 2010, 15:46   #44
Senior - BHPian
 
shankar.balan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: BLR
Posts: 8,027
Thanked: 5,325 Times
Default

Hey!

Yes I do agree that the Fabia's petrol engine is small. But the car itself inspires a feeling of "solidity" that not many other currently available cars here can.

The Jazz is a nice vehicle by itself but still a bit over-priced despite the recent flurry of discounting. If the Honda chaps would atleast load it up a bit and then charge for it, that would be acceptable to me. However, it is a lovely little glasshouse of a car - I like its looks. It handles very nicely in the city too, though I personally felt the 1.2 engine to be a bit small-ish.

I dont know what the Grande Punto with the proposed new upgraded engine etc will be like. Am keenly looking forward to what that will be like because all things considered the Punto is truly a head turner! I just love that Italian Styling - it looks so much like an Alfa Romeo Brera in profile - I really love its looks! The car is nicely and solidly built - like the Fabia is - there's a great "feel good' factor in that! Once the new engine option is available the car, being smaller than the linea, could have a lot of added grunt. If I were in the market for a nice hot hatch I would seriously consider this one - the top end spec, but once the new engine option comes!

I might have even suggested the Chevy SRV but despite its beautiful styling, it never really did very well in the marketplace - perhaps it was a bit too ahead of its time!

Nice to hear that we may see some new action early Feb! But I would put a small word of restraint here - it might really be worth your while to hang in there for the VW Polo and Ford Figo - both look exceedingly promising.

Quote:
Originally Posted by suhaas307 View Post
Haha, Shankar, I was looking forward to reading your suggestions in this thread! I've finally got it today!

When I said, "price no bar", I meant a common hatch that's available in India. Barring the Beetle, the 500 and the Bravo and the like! Something that's under 9 lakhs!

The Skoda Fabia and the Hyundai i20 are out of contention as of now! The Fabia's petrol mill isn't inspiring although it's a great car! We will test drive it! The i20 isn't my cup of tea as I'm quite biased! Not a fan of anything from Korea! The Jazz is a great car and so is the Punto!

Come February first week and this thread would get some updates from me!

Last edited by shankar.balan : 28th January 2010 at 15:47.
shankar.balan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th January 2010, 15:50   #45
BHPian
 
donarun's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: chennai
Posts: 345
Thanked: 17 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
I might have even suggested the Chevy SRV but despite its beautiful styling, it never really did very well in the marketplace - perhaps it was a bit too ahead of its time!
is the SRV still sold by chevy ?
donarun is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
money no bar, which car would you buy/import in India to make heads turn at any cost? sidindica Super-Cars & Imports in India 140 31st March 2017 10:15
Hyundai Verna: Rear Torsion Bar / Front Stabilizer Bar? ph03n!x Modifications & Accessories 14 24th April 2014 12:34


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 17:21.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks