Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > What Car? > Hatchbacks


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 9th February 2010, 15:09   #76
Team-BHP Support
 
suhaas307's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 8,055
Thanked: 6,601 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sammyboy View Post
Dude, dont tell me you still havent measured the parking space yet .
Come on, go measure and get the damn Jazz.
As a matter of fact, I have, Sammyboy!

The space can accommodate a car that's roughly 1650-1700 millimeters wide. And the Jazz is coming home this Friday. We've booked a test drive for the Jazz! So we will know for sure in a few days!
suhaas307 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th February 2010, 15:39   #77
Senior - BHPian
 
sammyboy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Gurgaon/Doon
Posts: 1,738
Thanked: 338 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by suhaas307 View Post
As a matter of fact, I have, Sammyboy!

The space can accommodate a car that's roughly 1650-1700 millimeters wide. And the Jazz is coming home this Friday. We've booked a test drive for the Jazz! So we will know for sure in a few days!
Now thats more like it. . Hope to see the results of the TD from you soon.
sammyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th February 2010, 15:56   #78
Senior - BHPian
 
sbraj's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: B L R / T V M
Posts: 1,071
Thanked: 4 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by suhaas307 View Post
I'm quite surprised that this thread is now a couple of pages! My dilema seems to be hot property! Hehe..
Probably due to the thread title - "Price no bar!".
sbraj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th February 2010, 20:18   #79
BHPian
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Dehradun
Posts: 67
Thanked: 23 Times
Default

[quote=Sumain;1723024]Hi,

Just bought a white Jazz on the 1st of this month.

Can recommend it wholeheartedly. Very very refined and smooth. Excellent quality.

So, go for the Jazz with eyes closed.

(BTW I got 60K discount on 2009 model).
Congrats Sumain I also bought a White Jazz on 25th Jan.Its really fantastic and though I test drove almost all new hatchbacks and was about to buy a Ford fiesta(!) because of the heavy discount and features- I now realise there is no competition to a Jazz in space, comfort, maneuverability.Great about discount, I could manage only around 36000-37000.Did you get any accessories fitted active mode?
Suhaas I hope you have a great test drive and can zero in on the car!
amit162 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th February 2010, 09:46   #80
BHPian
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Malapuram
Posts: 103
Thanked: 14 Times
Default

Hi suhaas307, i need not mention anything special about Honda as you already own a civic. But yesterday got a message from the sales person that there is an offer for Jazz that you will be getting insurance free of cost for the First year and also a bonus of Rs.10,000 for no reason. May be they could give me because i bought an overpriced ANHC. Why cant you wait till Jazz A/T is launched, as your priority goes for city driving most of the time. Heard someone in the showroom saying that i might be launched by the end of April.

Last edited by infinitewheel : 10th February 2010 at 09:48.
infinitewheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th February 2010, 10:14   #81
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Delhi
Posts: 2,175
Thanked: 128 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by suhaas307 View Post
Hi guys,

The criteria for the new Hatch:

Your mother has the same perspective on bigger cars than my wife and mother. They think that a underpowered hatch will be easier to move around and will be zippy and nimble compared with a higher priced sedan. Since you have driven a Civic (and I do a Corolla), I know for sure that is not true at all. For 9+, if you are happy with your Civic, you will do a great service for them by getting them a City AT.

I seriously think this hatch and nippy business is just a myth as most driving a higher torqued car will attest to. No problems in general in any congested place. Plus, more presence and lesser chances of people bugging you by driving in the wrong lane or cutting across your front fender. This happens a lot in Delhi.

Edit: congrats on your Jazz!!!

Last edited by vasudeva : 10th February 2010 at 10:16.
vasudeva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th February 2010, 10:33   #82
BHPian
 
handsofsteel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: mumbai
Posts: 200
Thanked: 133 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by thangu View Post
Since price is not an issue, my suggestion would be as follows
1. Jazz
2. I20
3. GP
+1 to that my friend. After having owned this magnificent car for 6 mths now..
i second it (if price is no bar that is) no othe car matches its boot,headroom and city handling
handsofsteel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th February 2010, 10:39   #83
Senior - BHPian
 
sbraj's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: B L R / T V M
Posts: 1,071
Thanked: 4 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by vasudeva View Post
congrats on your Jazz!!!
I think Suhaas has just booked Jazz for TD, not yet purchased.

Quote:
Originally Posted by suhaas307 View Post
We would love to try out the Polo!
An initial review, snaps of the Indian version, you can find here (VW Polo 1.2 Petrol: Brief Test Drive).
sbraj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th February 2010, 14:07   #84
Team-BHP Support
 
ampere's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 15,604
Thanked: 8,593 Times
Default

My only comment on the Polo is to see/wait for the VW service to stabilize. From that point of view its better to go with Jazz or i20.

Better to be with a known devil than an unknown one.
Though surely Hyundai is not a devil in that sense.
ampere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th February 2010, 17:23   #85
Newbie
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Noida
Posts: 12
Thanked: 0 Times
Default

Just one thing about the i20.

See, when you release the steering after a turn, it is supposed to straighten out on its own.

The Honda Jazz does it normally.

The i20 PULLS HARD back to centre. Even during the turn, you have to keep holding to it tight just to keep it in the turn, otherwise it will straighten itself out.

No problem during a 20 minute test drive. But when you have to live with it on a day to day basis, it can get a bit irritating.

I know your mom will love the jazz for its neutral handling and its light controls. And of course the light and airy interior. And the higher seating position. And the quality of just everything. It just FEELS better.

And to fit it into your parking, just fold the outside mirrors!

Cheers
Sumain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th February 2010, 17:24   #86
Team-BHP Support
 
suhaas307's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 8,055
Thanked: 6,601 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by amit162 View Post
Hi,

Just bought a white Jazz on the 1st of this month.

Can recommend it wholeheartedly. Very very refined and smooth. Excellent quality.

So, go for the Jazz with eyes closed.

(BTW I got 60K discount on 2009 model).
Congrats Sumain I also bought a White Jazz on 25th Jan.Its really fantastic and though I test drove almost all new hatchbacks and was about to buy a Ford fiesta(!) because of the heavy discount and features- I now realise there is no competition to a Jazz in space, comfort, maneuverability.Great about discount, I could manage only around 36000-37000.Did you get any accessories fitted active mode?
Suhaas I hope you have a great test drive and can zero in on the car!
Congratulations to the both of you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by infinitewheel View Post
Hi suhaas307, i need not mention anything special about Honda as you already own a civic. But yesterday got a message from the sales person that there is an offer for Jazz that you will be getting insurance free of cost for the First year and also a bonus of Rs.10,000 for no reason. May be they could give me because i bought an overpriced ANHC. Why cant you wait till Jazz A/T is launched, as your priority goes for city driving most of the time. Heard someone in the showroom saying that i might be launched by the end of April.
Thanks for the info, infinitewheel. I don't like automatics and neither does my mother. We prefer manual trannys any day! We would've considered the i20 automatic in that case as well! But thanks for the suggestion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by vasudeva View Post
Your mother has the same perspective on bigger cars than my wife and mother. They think that a underpowered hatch will be easier to move around and will be zippy and nimble compared with a higher priced sedan. Since you have driven a Civic (and I do a Corolla), I know for sure that is not true at all. For 9+, if you are happy with your Civic, you will do a great service for them by getting them a City AT.

I seriously think this hatch and nippy business is just a myth as most driving a higher torqued car will attest to. No problems in general in any congested place. Plus, more presence and lesser chances of people bugging you by driving in the wrong lane or cutting across your front fender. This happens a lot in Delhi.

Edit: congrats on your Jazz!!!
It's not that we don't want a sedan, but we rather have a hatch! A car that can be relatively easy to park and easy to maneuver through traffic! The Jazz is definitely a larger hatch, but what I'm told is that it's a pretty nimble car with good punch and ample space! We already have a large sedan at home, we wouldn't need another sedan! I appreciate the interest that you've taken for this! Thank you!

Oh, and I've only booked the test drive, not the car!


Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
My only comment on the Polo is to see/wait for the VW service to stabilize. From that point of view its better to go with Jazz or i20.

Better to be with a known devil than an unknown one.
Though surely Hyundai is not a devil in that sense.
To be brutally honest, if we like the Polo, we might pick it up as a 3rd car (exclusively for me!) That's of course, after we see how it has fared in our market. But that's still sometime away!

Last edited by suhaas307 : 10th February 2010 at 17:26.
suhaas307 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th February 2010, 18:41   #87
Team-BHP Support
 
suhaas307's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 8,055
Thanked: 6,601 Times
Default Update!

Update:

This afternoon, Dakshin Honda dropped by in a blue Jazz and I'd like to start by saying that it's a magnificent car! It looks absolutely fantastic! The four wheels are at the extreme corners of the car and that helps while parking tremendously! The swoopy lines and the sharp edges make it a real head turner! My only grouse is the rather narrow set of tyres that the car wears. And unfortunately, alloys don't come standard!

Now the interior of this car can be, and dare I say it, compared to the Civic! It's that spacious! The quality of plastics and the material is absolutely top notch and the car seems to be worth the high price tag that it comes with! I'm still bowled over by the space it has to offer! There is no compromise at all! The leg space at the back is massive even with the front seats pushed right to the back. The headroom is crazy! The boot is 380 liters!

I shouldn't be comparing this to our Civic but I must say, it's very close to it in terms of ride quality and handling. It doesn't feel very different from the Civic to drive. It's quite comfortable, and irons out pot-holes and rough patches quite nicely, although you can tell that it hates doing that!

We have no problems with the engine. It's very smooth and is quite sprightly when it needs to be. It loves to be revved like all Jap cars! It's definitely a huge step ahead of the Santro in terms of power and performance so we're impressed.

Anyway, we were worried that it might not fit in our parking space but it did! And quite neatly! Yes, it did take a few attempts to get it right and we did struggle a bit but we did it! And we're thrilled to bits! We could even get out easily after parking it in! It might prove to be a bit of a squeeze the first couple of times, but I guess it's a matter of getting used to it.

My dad and I loved the feel of it. Driving it was great! Since we're used to driving the Civic, it didn't feel very different and we felt at home at once. My mom, on the other hand, had a huge problem getting adjusted. She was stuck in 2nd gear and was coming to terms with its width only towards the end of the test drive. She wasn't very comfortable and I could tell by the way she kept fidgeting around. She didn't even give it the beans on a straight empty road! But that's how my mom is always. She's never comfortable in any other car other than the Santro. But she said she loved it and it's just a matter of getting used to it.

We're probably looking to test drive a few other cars this weekend and next weekend and then, we'll come to a verdict. Till then, keep your revs up, buckle up, and stay tuned folks!
Attached Thumbnails
Looking to buy a new Hatch. Price no bar!-120220101347.jpg  

Looking to buy a new Hatch. Price no bar!-120220101348.jpg  

Looking to buy a new Hatch. Price no bar!-120220101350.jpg  

suhaas307 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th February 2010, 20:55   #88
BHPian
 
handsofsteel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: mumbai
Posts: 200
Thanked: 133 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by suhaas307 View Post
Update:

it's a magnificent car! It looks absolutely fantastic! The four wheels are at the extreme corners of the car and that helps while parking tremendously! The swoopy lines and the sharp edges make it a real head turner!

Now the interior of this car can be, and dare I say it, compared to the Civic! It's that spacious! The quality of plastics and the material is absolutely top notch and the car seems to be worth the high price tag that it comes with! I'm still bowled over by the space it has to offer! There is no compromise at all! The leg space at the back is massive even with the front seats pushed right to the back. The headroom is crazy! The boot is 380 liters!
Absolutely spot on!! the headroom at the rear is something six-footers find extremely handy. the magic seats are a delight, parking is a breeze. infact, if not for the '3-box bias' of the Indian Junta, i find it hard to justify the need for a sedan when you have a car like this.
And the nothing-to-write-home-about sales in the market do give it a snob value. its a head turner alright.
handsofsteel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th February 2010, 00:45   #89
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 124
Thanked: 5 Times
Default

You say money is not constraint for you. And you also said you want peace of mind with the car that you buy. So I would recommend JAZZ.What else you earn money for? For peace of mind, right? So if you have the bandwidth go for JAZZ.
vnk77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th February 2010, 06:27   #90
Senior - BHPian
 
sbraj's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: B L R / T V M
Posts: 1,071
Thanked: 4 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by handsofsteel View Post
And the nothing-to-write-home-about sales in the market do give it a snob value. its a head turner alright.
Or it could be the other way around. If Honda does not correct the pricing soon, this car may take the same path as Ford's Fusion. Honda may introduce a new car in the segment and Jazz could turn out to be the old looking.

There is always a risk in going for a car rejected by the market.

Last edited by sbraj : 13th February 2010 at 06:31.
sbraj is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
money no bar, which car would you buy/import in India to make heads turn at any cost? sidindica Super-Cars & Imports in India 140 31st March 2017 10:15
Hyundai Verna: Rear Torsion Bar / Front Stabilizer Bar? ph03n!x Modifications & Accessories 14 24th April 2014 12:34


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 10:42.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks