Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > What Car? > Hatchbacks


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 24th February 2010, 10:44   #121
Senior - BHPian
 
sbraj's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: B L R / T V M
Posts: 1,071
Thanked: 4 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
For Suhaas I have Robert Frost : "Miles to go before I sleep"
"Miles to test drive before I buy" ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkh View Post
You are going to get a prize for the longest thread on deciding a car ...
I think that goes to vid6639, he was deciding for over an year, and finally bought a Corolla.
sbraj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th February 2010, 11:23   #122
Team-BHP Support
 
ampere's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 15,600
Thanked: 8,588 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbraj View Post
"Miles to test drive before I buy" ?
By the way I also love big hatchbacks more than sedans. Even I am on the look for a good replacement for my Fusion, but not in the near future. Thats at least 2 years away. This helps in that directly (obviously god knows what new models one will have then). But the Polo release makes me hope that there would a Golf release as well within that period. Waiting to see that happen!

PS: Did I hear one year of car selection process somewhere ()?.
ampere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th February 2010, 11:26   #123
BHPian
 
s3va's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Dubai
Posts: 646
Thanked: 3 Times
Default

Polo 1.6 should be a wait worth.
s3va is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th February 2010, 15:16   #124
Senior - BHPian
 
rameshnanda's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Chennai
Posts: 1,231
Thanked: 813 Times
Default Not before June

Quote:
Originally Posted by s3va View Post
Polo 1.6 should be a wait worth.
There is no official word from VW on Polo 1.6. I don't think it will be launched before June this year.
rameshnanda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th February 2010, 23:19   #125
Team-BHP Support
 
suhaas307's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 8,054
Thanked: 6,601 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by shreeps View Post
8 pages of posts and no decision yet!! Even I am hooked to this thread and looking for latest updates like its some saas bahu serial.

C'mon, finish with the Polo and i20 TD from Advaith and put us out of our misery

On a more serious note, I think you are following the right process:
1. Taking numerous test drives till you are satisfied
2. Eliciting opinions from the forum

All the best and I sure hope you take a decision soon.
Haha! Thanks mate! Our decision will be made by the end of February for sure! Will update when that happens!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
I guess as stated Polo makes the balancing act to bring down Jazz. It will split the Jazz/i20 market and the rest may choose to go i20 way, leaving Jazz only for the true Honda fanatics. Its I guess Honda's call now.

For Suhaas I have Robert Frost : "Miles to go before I sleep"
Good one!

Anyway, Honda needs to drop prices of the Jazz and fast! There is no way it will sell in our market where people put value on an extension at the back called a 'boot'!

They need to yank of at least 50k of the ex-showroom price and introduce the 1.5 iVtec mill (that does duty in the City) in the Jazz. They need to introduce new features that might go a long way like height adjustable driver's seat, leather seats, alloy wheels and so on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkh View Post
did they send u a TD car which is a customer car? I can see a number there- usually the TD cars do not have them or have side stickers indicating its a TD car..
that apart- polo is a wait..and which means this thread will live longer. You are going to get a prize for the longest thread on deciding a car and we wll who contributed will come over for a grand lunch on the day of the delivery - esp the bangy guys can come over!
How about posting a run down on all TD done so far and verdict( and keep updating that?), its a wee bit difficult to run through all the pages to know whats the status on each. I know you almost decided on fabia and then jazz and Ritz is out. Punto? Figo?
Not sure if it was a customer's car or a TD car, Mkh! The clutch did have the trademark 'play' that Marutis in general are famous for. And I hate that about Marutis! They are a serious kill joy!

I don't think we can wait till June though. And my parents wouldn't be comfortable going in for a car that has just been launched. And we're not prepared to wait either. So we might settle for something else, unfortunately!

About the grand lunch, I'll have to speak to my parents about that!

I'll work on the 'run-down' of all the TDs so far so that it's easier for people to follow this thread! I had no idea that it would go into the 8th page!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
By the way I also love big hatchbacks more than sedans. Even I am on the look for a good replacement for my Fusion, but not in the near future. Thats at least 2 years away. This helps in that directly (obviously god knows what new models one will have then). But the Polo release makes me hope that there would a Golf release as well within that period. Waiting to see that happen!

PS: Did I hear one year of car selection process somewhere ()?.
That's nice! Nice to know that there are people who don't mind spending that little extra on a hatch rather than thinking twice and wondering if you should go in for a sedan for the kind of money you pay!

Quote:
Originally Posted by s3va View Post
Polo 1.6 should be a wait worth.
It would be. But unfortunately, we can't! I'd love to though!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rameshnanda View Post
There is no official word from VW on Polo 1.6. I don't think it will be launched before June this year.
That's terrible news for me. We might settle for the Jazz then!
suhaas307 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th February 2010, 09:27   #126
Team-BHP Support
 
ampere's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 15,600
Thanked: 8,588 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by suhaas307 View Post
That's nice! Nice to know that there are people who don't mind spending that little extra on a hatch rather than thinking twice and wondering if you should go in for a sedan for the kind of money you pay!
5 years back, people said I was mad buying Fusion+ for 8.2 on road! It has served me will till date.
ampere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th February 2010, 16:12   #127
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 34
Thanked: Once
Default

Folks,

Today I test drove three hatches namely Fabia, Ritz and i20. Both Fabia & Ritz was real slow to pickup speed at 2nd gear with AC on where as i20 was like makhan (Butter) at even on 3rd from a speed bump. I have not seen such a performance with even my Petra 1.6.

I am amazed. Is this how other i20 people feel too.

Cheers

Manu
manupriyam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th February 2010, 17:29   #128
Senior - BHPian
 
aparth's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 1,048
Thanked: 614 Times
Default

^ Even I found the i20 to be butter smooooth. It really exceeded my expectations in terms of refinement.
aparth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th February 2010, 18:46   #129
Team-BHP Support
 
suhaas307's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 8,054
Thanked: 6,601 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
5 years back, people said I was mad buying Fusion+ for 8.2 on road! It has served me will till date.
Unfortunately, the Fusion and the SRV were launched way ahead of their time. They're fantastic cars and trust me, if the SRV was around, we'd have considered that as well!

Quote:
Originally Posted by manupriyam View Post
Folks,

Today I test drove three hatches namely Fabia, Ritz and i20. Both Fabia & Ritz was real slow to pickup speed at 2nd gear with AC on where as i20 was like makhan (Butter) at even on 3rd from a speed bump. I have not seen such a performance with even my Petra 1.6.

I am amazed. Is this how other i20 people feel too.

Cheers

Manu
SO looks like I'm not the only one who found the Fabia sluggish. I found the Punto 1.4 quite sluggish as well. But the Ritz was pretty nippy I thought! Love the new K-Series engines!
suhaas307 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th February 2010, 19:44   #130
mkh
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 1,071
Thanked: 107 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
5 years back, people said I was mad buying Fusion+ for 8.2 on road! It has served me will till date.
Which goes to prove the statement again- the best car is the one that serves YOUR purpose and serves YOU the best. There is nothing like the best choice! Infact even now people buy Fusion and even the Palio -though they are well past their time! As long as the owner is happy, the car has done what its expected to!
mkh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th February 2010, 19:49   #131
Team-BHP Support
 
ampere's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 15,600
Thanked: 8,588 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkh View Post
Which goes to prove the statement again- the best car is the one that serves YOUR purpose and serves YOU the best. There is nothing like the best choice! Infact even now people buy Fusion and even the Palio -though they are well past their time! As long as the owner is happy, the car has done what its expected to!
Well said. Thats exactly what buyers need to comprehend. I have seen folks who argue a lot and compare on features of mobile based on which they buy them and in the end never use that feature!
ampere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th February 2010, 23:14   #132
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 34
Thanked: Once
Default

I think I spoke too early on i20 performance. When I drove it with 5 people, it was as sluggish as I am used to with car scarping most of the speed bumps too. I struggled overtaking trucks on the sharjapur road, Bangalore. Big No NO from my son and wife, funny that I was test driving back to the showroom for booking the car.

Suddenly feel depressed as it seems there is no worth while car for my hard earned money :-(

Tried SX4 too but surely not at all refined for that kind of money. What to do?
manupriyam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th February 2010, 23:21   #133
Team-BHP Support
 
suhaas307's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 8,054
Thanked: 6,601 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by manupriyam View Post
I think I spoke too early on i20 performance. When I drove it with 5 people, it was as sluggish as I am used to with car scarping most of the speed bumps too. I struggled overtaking trucks on the sharjapur road, Bangalore. Big No NO from my son and wife, funny that I was test driving back to the showroom for booking the car.

Suddenly feel depressed as it seems there is no worth while car for my hard earned money :-(

Tried SX4 too but surely not at all refined for that kind of money. What to do?
Wait for the Polo 1.6 or settle for the Jazz! That's what I'd say! The Jazz in particular, is as good as any mid-size car in the market! People have misunderstood its ability and have branded it as an expensive hatch instead (IMO)!
suhaas307 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th February 2010, 23:49   #134
Senior - BHPian
 
aparth's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 1,048
Thanked: 614 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by suhaas307 View Post
Wait for the Polo 1.6 or settle for the Jazz! That's what I'd say! The Jazz in particular, is as good as any mid-size car in the market! People have misunderstood its ability and have branded it as an expensive hatch instead (IMO)!
+1
I totally agree with you Suhaas! People are under the wrong misconception that it's an expensive hatch only because it's a 'Honda'.
aparth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th February 2010, 00:02   #135
Team-BHP Support
 
suhaas307's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 8,054
Thanked: 6,601 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by aparth View Post
+1
I totally agree with you Suhaas! People are under the wrong misconception that it's an expensive hatch only because it's a 'Honda'.
It's a hatch with almost 400 liters of boot space and enough leg room to give most D-Segment cars a complex! This car is a gem! It's superb and it doesn't get the respect it deserves! Arm-chair critics should seriously give it a try!
suhaas307 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
money no bar, which car would you buy/import in India to make heads turn at any cost? sidindica Super-Cars & Imports in India 140 31st March 2017 10:15
Hyundai Verna: Rear Torsion Bar / Front Stabilizer Bar? ph03n!x Modifications & Accessories 14 24th April 2014 12:34


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 12:48.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks