Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > What Car? > Hatchbacks

Closed Thread

Old 2nd February 2010, 11:14   #1
BHPian

Arrow Need Suggestions on my 1st small car

Hi All,

Recently relocated from abroad to Indirapuram, GZB and my office is at CP, New Delhi. I will need to travel/drive 70 KM's every day and some time more to meet customers.
Recently got the DL and you can treat me as new driver (still some fear inside)...! We are 4 (me, wife, 2 kids) and some time go to shopping with family. Kindly let me know which car is easy to drive? VFM, Good safety features and etc. Max Budget is 4.5 L and I wish to go for a new small car at this time until I learn complete driving and familiar with Delhi Roads.
I-10, Beat and A-Star was in my mind, however still would like to get experts opinion as I am new to driving.

Thank you so much.
Siva

Last edited by yousivakutti : 2nd February 2010 at 11:15.
Old 2nd February 2010, 11:19   #2
BHPian

Since you drive around 70kms/ day it's better to go for a diesel hatch.
That will save you a lot of money.
And in your budget the choices are Ritz, Vista and the upcoming Figo.
Old 2nd February 2010, 11:22   #3
BHPian

First of all Welcome to the Mess!!!

I also have office at CP & used to live in Indrpuram

All of these cars are good in their own perspective. My 2 cents would be test drive with your family in it & then decide keeping all factors in mind. BTW with your mileage & amount of travel you can look for a diesel as well.

On the other had you can look for Punto petrol also as an option . Am I confusing you more ? Confusion is what leads to enlightenment isnt it?

OT : BTW my first suggestion for your commution would be to try & use Metro
Old 2nd February 2010, 11:22   #4
BHPian

Siva,

I would recommend Beat would be apt here. Its refreshing new and Have decent chevy A.S.S. However,There is nothing comes closer to Maruti Suzuki products and their A.S.S

I would not recommend A-Star as it has literally the smallest boot and you cannot put more than two or Max three bags

However i10 Would be better then Chevy but Considering you do about 2000 K.M.S a month it my be high on your wallet.

Just my two cents here.

Regards,
Otomobil.
Old 2nd February 2010, 11:30   #5
BHPian

@Daewood: Thanks for the suggestions. Forgot to mention, I can claim the Petrol Allowances from Company ..!! I wish to go with a Petrol Version at this time.

@SamtheLeo: I saw one Punto in my Apt complex, I am bit worried for the A.S.S. So, I wish to go with Maruti or Hyundai or Chevy to get Service Support. You may well aware of the driving conditions btw Indirapuram and CP... I am looking for a small/compact car for easy driving...!
Old 2nd February 2010, 11:38   #6
Senior - BHPian

70 km's everyday - Diesel would make sense.

The only Diesel hatch that fits your budget would be Vista, Punto Base.

Petrol - i10 / Beat are both excellent cars. Beat is supposed to be one good hatch - wait for the final prices.

VW Polo ??
Old 2nd February 2010, 11:45   #7
BHPian

Looks like the beat is best suited for your needs, but for the petrol option.
Among the diesels, real peace of mind can be had from the Vista (TDi/Quadrajet) . A.S.S is only subjective. If you are careful , no one can fleece you.
The upcoming Figo would also be a good deal.The pricing is expected to be competitive. The diesel would be the pick. It is truly a made for india car.
If you want to be like the rest of the Indians, the best would be an A-star or i10. Good for resale value and to some extent mileage but little else.

If you want to look a little lower down the order, the Spark is a delightful vehicle to own, park ,drive , everything. If there is a really good small car in the market today, it is a spark. The LT version would be well within your budget OTR. Or you can go for the usual tin cans (Wagon R, Santro , Zen Estilo etc etc).

My advice, if you are driving 70km a day, it will not take you more than 3 or 4 days to remove the 'L' board from your vehicle . Don't worry about being 'afraid of driving'.
Cheers
rpmx1000
Old 2nd February 2010, 11:52   #8
Senior - BHPian

Please choose between Ritz VXi / Swift VXi and i10 Kappa Sportz.
Old 2nd February 2010, 14:35   #9
BHPian

Since you have mentioned safety as one of the important parameters, the Beat offers ABS and airbags on the top model which should be within your budget. The lack of boot space should not be an issue since most of your travelling will be within city limits. Also, the smaller dimension Beat should be relatively easier to drive in delhi traffic.
Old 2nd February 2010, 14:52   #10
BHPian

ALL, Thank you for the suggestions. I can increase the budget. But looking for a complete small size car with ABS, EBD, MUSIC System and etc for long term use.

Somewhere I read the Swift is coming with new Engine, can some one throw me some information? When it is going to be? What is all about? How much would be the price tag? I need to keep the car at least for next 5 years..!!

Some how, I don't like the look of RITZ..!! But I like I-10, Beat, Swift Looks..!!!
Old 2nd February 2010, 15:27   #11
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by yousivakutti View Post
Somewhere I read the Swift is coming with new Engine
It's already launched with 1.2 K series engine . Swift is almost 5 years old , so better to go with a recently launched model. Go for the i10, or stretch the budget a wee bit and get a base version i20 Magna.
Old 2nd February 2010, 15:34   #12
Senior - BHPian

Why not go for the new Chevy Beat top end LTZ?

It should be about 4.5 lacs on Road Bangalore which is about as expensive as the base version Swift.

From all accounts the GM guys are pulling out all the stops to woo the Indian small car consumer and the Beat comes pretty heavily loaded with all sorts of goodies and safety features as well.

And the Karl Slym Chevrolet promise of the special introductory price for the first 60 days + the 3 year Zero cost maintenance deal etc make this extremely attractive as a value proposition!

it has a pretty powerful little engine, muscular styling and they claim 18 kmpl which should make you smile. as a bonus it is also a pretty good looking car in my opinion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by yousivakutti View Post
ALL, Thank you for the suggestions. I can increase the budget. But looking for a complete small size car with ABS, EBD, MUSIC System and etc for long term use.

Somewhere I read the Swift is coming with new Engine, can some one throw me some information? When it is going to be? What is all about? How much would be the price tag? I need to keep the car at least for next 5 years..!!

Some how, I don't like the look of RITZ..!! But I like I-10, Beat, Swift Looks..!!!

Last edited by shankar.balan : 2nd February 2010 at 15:36.
Old 2nd February 2010, 16:31   #13
Senior - BHPian

I suggest you choose between the Swift / Ritz / i10. The K series engine is the best one currently available in this segment. For Swift (P), you can expect waiting periods of upto 2 months. If you want a car immediately, I'd suggest you go for the Ritz. Ritz Zxi comes with all the bells and whistles (except auto climate control) at a decent price. Don't worry about the looks. It will grow on you sooner than later.
Old 2nd February 2010, 16:39   #14
BHPian

Since you will be driving more miles/day you need a Diesel option. For your budget you may consider Vista TDi a true VFM car. Other options in petrol are in the sequence Ritz, Swift. A-Star looks like little over priced.
Old 2nd February 2010, 16:39   #15
BHPian

Well Dear ,

My 2 cents again, I own a Punto & in Gurgaon A.S.S is not that an issue. if you can stretch the budget then go for Punto 1.2 MJD with ABS, Airbags everything , Take a TD & you will understand what i mean
Closed Thread