Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > What Car? > Hatchbacks


Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 5th February 2010, 15:20   #16
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 2,534
Thanked: 984 Times
Default

If only the front 2 seat comfort is the priority then it would be swift any day. Its very comfortable and you can drive for quite sometime without any fatigue to you or the passenger in the front seat.

But when it comes to rear seat being occupied by family members [elders or youngsters], its not at all comfortable and can prove to be very tiring. Ritz scores here due to the tall boy design and also as mentioned by others, marginally better suspension.

So depending on your usage you can select between the 2.
abhinav.s is online now  
Old 5th February 2010, 15:24   #17
Senior - BHPian
 
finneyp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 2,619
Thanked: 160 Times
Default

Are you going for a deisel?

If not, check out Chevy Beat...
finneyp is offline  
Old 5th February 2010, 15:34   #18
Distinguished - BHPian
 
SS-Traveller's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 6,627
Thanked: 10,816 Times
Default

Between the Swift and Ritz, I own and drive a Swift (albeit a Zxi - 40k km now). Two things are a perpetual source of frustration:
  1. Constant rattles from everywhere - multiple trips to the service centre haven't sorted them out completely, and I've learnt to live with them.
  2. The bulbous mudguards and super-flimsy bumpers - getting scraped in heavy traffic is not uncommon during initial driving, try as hard as I might, and bumper damage in case of even minor contact is dramatic. I've had one front bumper replaced already, and the rear one has a crack where a motorcyclist bumped into me. Almost every Swift has damaged mudguards everywhere I see.
I understand the rattles are less in a Ritz, and the body line is less bulbous. Can't say about how strong the bumpers are, though they shouldn't be any worse!
SS-Traveller is offline  
Old 5th February 2010, 16:04   #19
BHPian
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: delhi
Posts: 62
Thanked: 27 Times
Default

Here I think I dont agree with you, Have done Patiala - kasauli - Delhi same day with my family that amounts to approx 550 kms. in Swift Zxi which includes hills also, noboby complaint of any fatigue whatsoever. my mom slept in sitting position for the maximum part of the journey on the backseat.
I tell you moms can be really very fussy about comfort.

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhinav.s View Post
If only the front 2 seat comfort is the priority then it would be swift any day. Its very comfortable and you can drive for quite sometime without any fatigue to you or the passenger in the front seat.

But when it comes to rear seat being occupied by family members [elders or youngsters], its not at all comfortable and can prove to be very tiring. Ritz scores here due to the tall boy design and also as mentioned by others, marginally better suspension.

So depending on your usage you can select between the 2.
oxymoron is offline  
Old 5th February 2010, 17:33   #20
BHPian
 
funnyguru's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Chennai
Posts: 266
Thanked: 5 Times
Default

Let me get very practical here.

You are a family guy. Lets assume your spouse is into family ways, I betcha the Ritz will be a saviour to the bucket type Swift.
Experience speaks!!. Go for the Ritz.
funnyguru is offline  
Old 5th February 2010, 17:45   #21
BHPian
 
Abbas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Visakhapatnam
Posts: 411
Thanked: 27 Times
Default

Go for the Ritz man. Its more spacious than the swift and has been awarded the car of the year. Plus its a newer model than the swift.
Abbas is offline  
Old 5th February 2010, 18:34   #22
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 2,534
Thanked: 984 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by oxymoron View Post
Here I think I dont agree with you, Have done Patiala - kasauli - Delhi same day with my family that amounts to approx 550 kms. in Swift Zxi which includes hills also, noboby complaint of any fatigue whatsoever. my mom slept in sitting position for the maximum part of the journey on the backseat.
I tell you moms can be really very fussy about comfort.
Ha ha! Yes i know they can be very fussy about comfort.

Due to an experience I had with me, my friend, his mom and my wife in the swift, i have posted my opinion. The journey was not even close to what you have done. It was somewhere around 300 kms. My wife and my friends mom are both short. The rear head rest was in such an awkward position for them that they could not sleep comfortably when they wanted to. Along with that the rear was bouncy and they were very vocal about their displeasure being in the back seat. Of course the bouncy ride could be due to higher tyre pressures, but the lack of under thigh support and the positioning of the head rests cannot be ruled out. Add to that the difficulty of ingress and egress in the back seat.
abhinav.s is online now  
Old 5th February 2010, 23:27   #23
BHPian
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: thane
Posts: 741
Thanked: 5 Times
Default

hey Gemi

Congratz on being a dad..!
I have driven both cars.I own a swift Ldi and a friend owns a Ritz Vdi.
I feel that the Ritz is not that fun to drive a car as the swift is.The turbo punch available in the swift is not felt to that extent in the Ritz.

The swift is still beautifull to look at dude.I feel the maruti engeneers were high on ganja when they designed the rear end of the Ritz.Though looks are subjective I feel go for a Swift and be happy maan..!
shantyrocks is offline  
Old 6th February 2010, 10:50   #24
BHPian
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: delhi
Posts: 62
Thanked: 27 Times
Default

Really can't say about ingress and egress for back seat, havent really sat there. But for the bumpy ride, it can be due to over inflated tyres because when I took the delivery my car was also bouncing like a ping pong ball, got air pressure checked, it was 35 psi instead of 29 as prescribed by maruti for Zxi. Post that ride has never been a problem.
But yes people can have different experience with same thing. Very subjective I should say.
May be I am just loving the overall experience post Fiat one.
One thing I would like to add here though not pertinent to this thread, lot of people complaint about Fiat TATA merger and says that it has
[FONT=Calibri][SIZE=3]deteriorated [/SIZE][/FONT] the quality and service delivery but I dont agree on this , had a very good experience of after sales service with them and parts replacement were never a problem. They had good inventory management.

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhinav.s View Post
Ha ha! Yes i know they can be very fussy about comfort.

Due to an experience I had with me, my friend, his mom and my wife in the swift, i have posted my opinion. The journey was not even close to what you have done. It was somewhere around 300 kms. My wife and my friends mom are both short. The rear head rest was in such an awkward position for them that they could not sleep comfortably when they wanted to. Along with that the rear was bouncy and they were very vocal about their displeasure being in the back seat. Of course the bouncy ride could be due to higher tyre pressures, but the lack of under thigh support and the positioning of the head rests cannot be ruled out. Add to that the difficulty of ingress and egress in the back seat.
oxymoron is offline  
Old 6th February 2010, 20:30   #25
Senior - BHPian
 
gemithomas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Trivandrum
Posts: 2,364
Thanked: 136 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by arunsasi View Post
My close to 2 years of Swift Dzire ownership was trouble free. Ritz is still relatively sold in fewer numbers in the market. If i had to choose, i would still go for the Swift.
(PS: i have not test driven a Ritz)
Thanks Arun. How are the service costs for the Dzire. I mean on an average how much do you pay for each service.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCEite View Post
Considering you are a family man, i would say go for the Ritz LDi. Also, why not look at the Petrol version ? Is your running too high? Some more inputs from your side would be appreciated
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaaz View Post
+1
Between Swift and Ritz, I suggest Ritz. But do think about Petrol version and considering the Premium you pay for Diesel version vis-a-vis your average usage per month
So stick to Ritz - No matter whether it is Petrol or Diesel.
In the last 3 yrs i did 40K on my adventure which gives me arond 9km/l. So i am assuming i will do more running with a diesel. Thats the reason i am looking at the diesel only. Hope i am doing the right thing.


Quote:
Originally Posted by AirWind View Post
Having driven both the Swift VDi and Ritz VDi, here is my thought.

Okay my recommendation goes to the Ritz!
Thanks a lot Airwind. That was real helpful. Its exactly the kind of opinions that i was looking for. Would the resale of the Ritz be very low compared to Swift? I'm sure you cant be sure as of now but just to know what you guys think.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vkochar View Post
Ritz it should be. I drove one a few months back when it was launched and it drives the way a small car should
Thanks dear.

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenhorn View Post
From my experience
Ritz - more spacious, better visiblity, cheaper, better availablity.... BUTTTTT Ritz was unstable at 140+ speeds, especially while manouvering, forget cornering. even crosswinds made it nervous. BSIV engine tuning was a bit funky - very linear. I liked the nitrous boost like effect of the swift motor . Plus the centre gear console kept fouling with my knees, was very annoying
Swift - a bit claustrophobic, low visiblity, But better performance, stability, resale. My choice
Thanks green horn. 140!!! I dont think i'll ever go at that speed on these roads. What about at 80-90km/hr. What do you think?

Quote:
Originally Posted by phamilyman View Post
Swift anyday for solo drives - I'm assuming the adventure will do family duties.
No dear. The 100bhp Italian soft roader will not be with me anymore.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sushrutha View Post
I have driven both,
Swift VDi and Ritz VDi.
If you are ok with the rear looks of Ritz , then go for it.
Is the comfort factor in ritz worth the compromise on the high speed performance? That is actually my biggest confusion right now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
Seems like Maruti has tweaked the suspension of the Swift along with the recent engine change. ACI states that swift now rides better with less bumps filtering into the cabin
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...ml#post1717689 (Swift with the K series engine? Update: Launched.)

gemithomas: Are you going to keep the adventure, or planning to sell it?
The suspension setup on the swift diesel will also change? Could anyone confirm this fact. Or will the suspension in the diesel change only by april when the diesel too becomes BSIV?

Quote:
Originally Posted by tj123 View Post
Iíll keep it short & simple.

Ritz is a more practical (Family) car while Swift is more a fun (Individual) car.
Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by oxymoron View Post
Hey gemi followed this thread from PUG, We both come from the same school of thought, I can very well understand why you need a hassle free car now . I also own S10 so I know how it can disturb your budget in a second.
My suggestion would be to go for Swift as there is no major difference between Ritz & Swift . But in addition you get better resale with Swift.
have bought mine few months back (Petrol) and loving every moment of ownership. plus *** experience is awesome with free pick and drop facility.
Thanks a lot. Thats very reassuring. Now i feel i am doing the right thing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by falcon009 View Post
I would definitely vote for ritz here. Its a very practical car if you have a family and also the height really gives it a sense of being a much bigger car than it actually is.
Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by VTEC_Rocks View Post
I would definitely vote for Swift.
if you like to get noticed, get a Ritz and get a good set of alloys.
Engines are the same.
Thanks a lot

Quote:
Originally Posted by zaks View Post
why not try the new Polo 1.2?
No VW. I have a fear that they might behave like Skoda.

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhinav.s View Post
If only the front 2 seat comfort is the priority then it would be swift any day.
But when it comes to rear seat being occupied by family members [elders or youngsters], its not at all comfortable and can prove to be very tiring. Ritz scores here due to the tall boy design and also as mentioned by others, marginally better suspension.
Thanks. How about front seat comfort in Ritz. Is it very much better compared to Swift or is it the same in your opinion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by finneyp View Post
Are you going for a deisel?
If not, check out Chevy Beat...
finney. I checked out the beat. REAL VFM product. The only thing that made me decide against it is the fact that they dont give you the 3 year free ownership thingy with just this car. Just could not digest that fact.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS-Traveller View Post
Between the Swift and Ritz, I own and drive a Swift (albeit a Zxi - 40k km now). Two things are a perpetual source of frustration:
Thanks man. How is the service / service cost.

Quote:
Originally Posted by funnyguru View Post
Let me get very practical here.

You are a family guy. Lets assume your spouse is into family ways, I betcha the Ritz will be a saviour to the bucket type Swift.
Experience speaks!!. Go for the Ritz.
Isnt the bucket type supposed to be more comfortable??? That was what i always thought.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Abbas View Post
Go for the Ritz man.
Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by shantyrocks View Post
hey Gemi

Congratz on being a dad..!
I have driven both cars.I own a swift Ldi and a friend owns a Ritz Vdi.
I feel that the Ritz is not that fun to drive a car as the swift is.The turbo punch available in the swift is not felt to that extent in the Ritz.

The swift is still beautifull to look at dude.I feel the maruti engeneers were high on ganja when they designed the rear end of the Ritz.Though looks are subjective I feel go for a Swift and be happy maan..!
Thanks. The only thing that keeps me thinking is the aspect about ride comfort and everyone says its better in the Ritz. My only confusion. AS i mentioned earlier is that.

Is there enough comfort to be worth compromising the handling?
gemithomas is offline  
Old 6th February 2010, 21:11   #26
Distinguished - BHPian
 
SS-Traveller's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 6,627
Thanked: 10,816 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by gemithomas View Post
140!!! I dont think i'll ever go at that speed on these roads. What about at 80-90km/hr. What do you think?

Is the comfort factor in ritz worth the compromise on the high speed performance? That is actually my biggest confusion right now.
You've answered your own question. At 100 km/h, the handling is so imperceptibly different, you'd never notice. Theoretical race track performance ability is something I'd happily trade off for extra comfort.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gemithomas View Post
The suspension setup on the swift diesel will also change? Could anyone confirm this fact. Or will the suspension in the diesel change only by april when the diesel too becomes BSIV?
Try and get yourself a BS-III spec engine, rather than BS-IV. Read about the reasons here (Are the Oil firms ready for Euro-IV?).
Quote:
Originally Posted by gemithomas View Post
Thanks man. How is the service / service cost.
Service cost for a Swift / Ritz is not exactly peanuts, and if you ask me subjectively, my Accent Viva CRDi asked for less money than the Swift does. Roughly Rs.6k spent at the last service. I suppose that's better than Fiat.
Quote:
Originally Posted by gemithomas View Post
Is there enough comfort to be worth compromising the handling?
If the Ritz is easier to drive and sit in for long periods, less prone to rattles, and less prone to being scraped in heavy traffic, compromising the handling is a non-issue. If you suddenly wake up one morning imagining you're Tommi Makinen, you can try out your driving skills for less than 25k INR with a much better-handling car here.
SS-Traveller is offline  
Old 6th February 2010, 21:52   #27
BHPian
 
quadmaniac's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 396
Thanked: 79 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by shantyrocks View Post
I feel the maruti engeneers were high on ganja when they designed the rear end of the Ritz.
That was a good one. Looks ARE subjective, but even I cannot digest the rear of the Ritz! Ritz comes in an array of amazing colours, if only they'd gotten the rear right!
quadmaniac is offline  
Old 6th February 2010, 22:05   #28
Senior - BHPian
 
gemithomas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Trivandrum
Posts: 2,364
Thanked: 136 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS-Traveller View Post
Try and get yourself a BS-III spec engine, rather than BS-IV. Read about the reasons here (Are the Oil firms ready for Euro-IV?).
Now you have scared me away from the Ritz with that. Will it lead to a nightmarish ownership if i buy a BSIV engine in kerala (trivandrum)?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS-Traveller View Post
Service cost for a Swift / Ritz is not exactly peanuts, and if you ask me subjectively, my Accent Viva CRDi asked for less money than the Swift does. Roughly Rs.6k spent at the last service. I suppose that's better than Fiat.
6K for which service???!!! I see you have a petrol swift so will my services cost more than that. I was assuming it would be around 3K from what i read from Jaggu's Thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS-Traveller View Post
If you suddenly wake up one morning imagining you're Tommi Makinen, you can try out your driving skills for less than 25k INR with a much better-handling car here.
Ha! Ha! Thats a nice one.
gemithomas is offline  
Old 6th February 2010, 22:24   #29
Distinguished - BHPian
 
SS-Traveller's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 6,627
Thanked: 10,816 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by gemithomas View Post
Now you have scared me away from the Ritz with that. Will it lead to a nightmarish ownership if i buy a BSIV engine in kerala (trivandrum)?
AFAIK the Ritz's DDiS engine is coming BS-IV ready, and not BS-IV complaint till now. BS-III will work just fine. And from April 1, Trivandrum would not require BS-IV compliance either.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gemithomas View Post
6K for which service???!!! I see you have a petrol swift so will my services cost more than that. I was assuming it would be around 3K from what i read from Jaggu's Thread.
4th(?) service at 38k km (supposed to be at 40k km). Spark plugs to engine flush, they did everything. Including replacing wipers. I guess I deserved it, for not hanging around while the job was being done.

At least, with my wife driving it often, I'm not worried about something falling apart in the next few months.
SS-Traveller is offline  
Old 6th February 2010, 22:55   #30
Team-BHP Support
 
Jaggu's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 17,752
Thanked: 7,475 Times
Default

What exactly you would want from the new car? Chart it out and then i can share my thoughts.

For starter if you are looking at it from driver perspective, Swift it is. But if you want more pace and better rear seat comfort for family, go with the Ritz.

Resale both being MUL will not have much of a difference, but expect more popular Swift to hold better value, especially in a state like Kerala.
Jaggu is online now  
Closed Thread


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
All i10 & i20 owners, I need feedback EDIT - Booked i10 AT Asta Tejas@perioimpl Hatchbacks 89 12th October 2011 14:58
Audi A4 3.0 TDI - any competitor? EDIT : Booked A4. Further EDIT : Got BMW 540i V8! SOBOSpeedster Luxury, Imports & Niche 75 8th June 2010 10:12
My very own first car - Ritz Zxi or i10 Asta? EDIT: Booked Ritz Zxi. Gandhi Hatchbacks 93 24th November 2009 15:50
Suzuki SX4 or NHC type 1 second hand EDIT: SX4 now booked - EDIT 1 -Swift VDi booked GeekSrik Hatchbacks 126 24th June 2007 12:37


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 19:52.

Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks