Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > What Car? > Hatchbacks


Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 27th March 2010, 22:46   #136
Senior - BHPian
 
AbhiJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Kolkata
Posts: 1,298
Thanked: 462 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by .anshuman View Post
But the car lacks the driveability in town due to taller gearing.
I cannot comment about the petrol, but the CRDi has no such problem. The engine frees up after 4-5k kms and pulls VERY cleanly from low revs after that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by .anshuman View Post
so its the least involving car to drive.
Also, the engine, gearbox and brakes give you enough "involvement" in the i20 Crdi when you need it / want it... and the chassis/suspension is enough to handle the power.

I cannot comment on the Polo / Figo, since I have not driven them, but even though the Punto has a much better suspension & ride as compared to the i20, I wont exactly call it a drivers car...

Not until Fiat give it the Linea's engine at least...

Last edited by AbhiJ : 27th March 2010 at 22:51.
AbhiJ is offline  
Old 27th March 2010, 23:25   #137
BHPian
 
Karthik1100's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 575
Thanked: 366 Times
Default

Post Deleted by the Team-BHP Support : SMS / Slang is STRICTLY prohibited on this community. We would much appreciate your using full & proper English in posts, for the benefit of other forum users.

Please view our board rules carefully before proceeding any further.

Last edited by GTO : 30th March 2010 at 13:16.
Karthik1100 is offline   Received Infraction
Old 28th March 2010, 00:37   #138
Team-BHP Support
 
.anshuman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Good-Gaon
Posts: 7,714
Thanked: 9,025 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by AbhiJ View Post
I cannot comment about the petrol, but the CRDi has no such problem. The engine frees up after 4-5k kms and pulls VERY cleanly from low revs after that.



Also, the engine, gearbox and brakes give you enough "involvement" in the i20 Crdi when you need it / want it... and the chassis/suspension is enough to handle the power.

I cannot comment on the Polo / Figo, since I have not driven them, but even though the Punto has a much better suspension & ride as compared to the i20, I wont exactly call it a drivers car...

Not until Fiat give it the Linea's engine at least...
Talking about driveability lets face the facts:
20-80 in 3rd gear= 15.51secs
40-100 in 4th gear= 19.01secs
All other diesel cars in the sement have better times, This is because of the tall gearing. The tall gearing though a pleasure on open roads sometime feel like a pain in traffic.

I accept the engine is better than MJD but gearshift is not the best around nor are the brakes, all other cars in the segment have nice Brakes and the long throw gearshift action is not the best around.

Polo has the best gearshift in the segment followed by Swift.


Quote:
Punto has a much better suspension & ride as compared to the i20, I wont exactly call it a drivers car...
Talking about Punto:

Ride is better than most cars in two segments above, not even Civic or Altis can absorb deeper bumps like Punto.

Without a doubt its the best handler in the segment though Swift is most entertaining.

Steering is AWESOME, Its Direct, weighs up nicely, accurate and nice to hold. Its the best steering under 20 Lakh rupee cars.

The only thing lacking is power, with Punto Sport coming soon this concern will be addressed to quite an extent and for others there is the option of getting a Tuning box.

For i20 aftermarket kits cannot can give it a nice steering or the dynamic ability of the Punto.

Facts are facts, lets face them. This has nothing to do with my ownership of a certain car.

Last edited by .anshuman : 28th March 2010 at 00:40.
.anshuman is offline  
Old 28th March 2010, 00:51   #139
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Bhubaneswar
Posts: 1,762
Thanked: 532 Times
Default

Having not driven the i20, cant really comment about its dynamic abilities. But as my family owns a Punto, I have to say it is a very very good car to drive. For a hatch it feels very good over bumps. Has a great handling package. Though a large part of that would also depends on which version you get. I think the E-packs wide tyres do give it some advantages.

My family has the 1.4 petrol version. Wouldn't say its as much fun as a Swift, which feels a lot more nimble and chuckable, but its not very bad either. The petrol is a bit sluggish, especially at lower rpms. But if you are ready to sacrifice FE, and keep her over 4000revs, its very good. Especially its throaty engine noise.
julupani is offline  
Old 28th March 2010, 02:38   #140
Senior - BHPian
 
Amartya's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Evanston
Posts: 1,699
Thanked: 376 Times
Default

^^
Good points. I had driven the i20 CRDi (multiple test drives) before recommending the Punto E-Pack to my close friend, because the i20 truly wasn't confidence inspiring at speeds greater than 70kmph. Although that is subjective, but the Punto feel a lot more in "control" at higher speeds. The ride and handling balance along with the feeling of being in a solidly built car is something that the i20 just doesn't have.

That being said, I did like the i20 for it's interiors, they really seemed to be well put together and the quality of materials used, a couple of notches better than the Punto. Since I do know a little bit about automobiles, I tend to side more with engineering than with feel-good things. It is in that regard that the Punto has the i20 "Beat", it simply has a superior dynamics package. I can totally understand though, when people go for the i20, it does give you feel-good feeling on first acquaintance, and for most, that once is enough.

Last edited by Amartya : 28th March 2010 at 02:51.
Amartya is offline  
Old 28th March 2010, 17:30   #141
BHPian
 
iamback's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Punekar
Posts: 126
Thanked: 8 Times
Default

Anytime Polo, I have also booked Polo Highline 1.2L Petrol. The dealer told me that the car will be Delivered only after June. Slow Slow Majhe Lo. Anyway, I will add my polo review as soon as i will get my car delivery.
iamback is offline  
Old 28th March 2010, 18:07   #142
Senior - BHPian
 
AbhiJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Kolkata
Posts: 1,298
Thanked: 462 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by .anshuman View Post
The tall gearing though a pleasure on open roads sometime feel like a pain in traffic.

Boss, how many kms have you driven the i20 Crdi??
Quote:
Originally Posted by .anshuman View Post
Without a doubt its the best handler in the segment.

Its the best steering under 20 Lakh rupee cars.
Apart from your own judgement/opinion, please provide credible backing to the above 2 statements...

See, all of us love our cars on this forum, and thats the sole reason we are here ... but lets keep our discussions based on facts and not our opinions.

Last edited by AbhiJ : 28th March 2010 at 18:11.
AbhiJ is offline  
Old 28th March 2010, 20:53   #143
Team-BHP Support
 
.anshuman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Good-Gaon
Posts: 7,714
Thanked: 9,025 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by AbhiJ View Post
Boss, how many kms have you driven the i20 Crdi??


Apart from your own judgement/opinion, please provide credible backing to the above 2 statements...

See, all of us love our cars on this forum, and thats the sole reason we are here ... but lets keep our discussions based on facts and not our opinions.
I have driven i20 CRDi twice for more than 50kms, rather than discussing my experience with cars lets discuss the car instead.

I have given figures, those are facts Any enthusiast who knows his cars and he will agree. Our unnecessary argument wont make the i20 the best handler in the segment.

Last edited by .anshuman : 28th March 2010 at 21:00.
.anshuman is offline  
Old 28th March 2010, 21:06   #144
Senior - BHPian
 
blackasta's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Kolkata, WB
Posts: 2,777
Thanked: 959 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amartya View Post
^^
the i20 truly wasn't confidence inspiring at speeds greater than 70kmph.
Really? I have not driven a i20, but my i10 manages speeds upto 100 - 110 pretty well, albeit with upgraded tires. 70+ is rock steady!
So does upgrading tires solve this problem in i20 also?
blackasta is offline  
Old 28th March 2010, 23:25   #145
Senior - BHPian
 
AbhiJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Kolkata
Posts: 1,298
Thanked: 462 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by .anshuman View Post
I have given figures, those are facts
Your opinion does not equal fact.

Best Steering this side of 20 lacs: Cannot be quantified in figures
Best Handler: Cannot be quantified in figures

These are your opinions. Not Facts. And I will respectfully disagree

Quote:
Originally Posted by .anshuman View Post
Any enthusiast who knows his cars and he will agree.
So you mean to say that a) I am not an enthusiast b) I dont know my cars. Either ways

Quote:
Originally Posted by .anshuman View Post
Our unnecessary argument wont make the i20 the best handler in the segment.
I never said anything w.r.t. the i20 being the best at handling. Please read my posts.

Last edited by AbhiJ : 28th March 2010 at 23:27.
AbhiJ is offline  
Old 28th March 2010, 23:38   #146
Senior - BHPian
 
Amartya's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Evanston
Posts: 1,699
Thanked: 376 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackasta View Post
Really? I have not driven a i20, but my i10 manages speeds upto 100 - 110 pretty well, albeit with upgraded tires. 70+ is rock steady!
So does upgrading tires solve this problem in i20 also?
I should have phrased that differently, my mistake. I meant that the power steering doesn't weigh up well and any steering input (different from being steady) at higher speeds is not confidence inspiring.
Amartya is offline  
Old 29th March 2010, 19:43   #147
Senior - BHPian
 
EssYouWe's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Lucknow
Posts: 1,392
Thanked: 15 Times
Default

Cheap arguments make for little value addition.

@AbhiJ
Opinions are the only way to talk about things like steering feel and handling. Seeing that there are no ways to measure it, going by your proposition all we'll talk about is bhp and 0-100 figures.
I have extensively driven both cars and can confidently opine that the Punto absolutely trumps i20 as far as handling and steering is concerned. The poor engine does leave you wanting.

I disagree with Anshuman when he says that the i20 is difficult to drive in the city. The lag is not incapacitating and the engine provides just about enough acceleration as any decent driver would need in the city.
The gear shifts were absolutely slick and the clutch felt nice.

In fact, I loved driving the i20 around in the city.

I agree with Anshuman when he says that the ride is not inspiring. The i20 is at its best at sub 100 speeds. The steering is lifeless and can be wrung with your pinky.

Where's the OP by the way?
EssYouWe is offline  
Old 29th March 2010, 20:07   #148
BANNED
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Bangalore Cantonment
Posts: 1,642
Thanked: 21 Times
Default

Initially I liked the LOOKER i20. Only on the looks part and yes, the petrol 1.2 is very sluggish!

Then came the STUNNER - Grande Punto.. I Fell In A Trap! By TRAP I mean, i fell in LOVE with this Italian beauty and I am just dreaming all day to buy one!

Polo - I just don't feel like paying 5+lacs for a three cylinder car.
arun1100 is offline  
Old 29th March 2010, 20:29   #149
Senior - BHPian
 
sandeepmohan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Wellington
Posts: 1,944
Thanked: 1,626 Times
Default

If you are looking at the best driving dynamics then there is no better a car than the Fiat Punto. It has a fantastic steering, good brakes, chassis & suspension setup that can trash many other expensive cars with ease. The only weak link are its engines. You will have to drive hard to enjoy this car & this can lead to high fuel consumption.
sandeepmohan is offline  
Old 29th March 2010, 20:32   #150
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Pune
Posts: 2,511
Thanked: 1,280 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amartya View Post
^^
Good points. I had driven the i20 CRDi (multiple test drives) before recommending the Punto E-Pack to my close friend, because the i20 truly wasn't confidence inspiring at speeds greater than 70kmph. Although that is subjective, but the Punto feel a lot more in "control" at higher speeds. The ride and handling balance along with the feeling of being in a solidly built car is something that the i20 just doesn't have.

That being said, I did like the i20 for it's interiors, they really seemed to be well put together and the quality of materials used, a couple of notches better than the Punto. Since I do know a little bit about automobiles, I tend to side more with engineering than with feel-good things. It is in that regard that the Punto has the i20 "Beat", it simply has a superior dynamics package. I can totally understand though, when people go for the i20, it does give you feel-good feeling on first acquaintance, and for most, that once is enough.
I'd say that is a pretty good wrap up of the two cars, except it leaves out the quality of the after sales service, which is much better on the Hyundai. I'd say the Punto is an involving car to drive, but one pays for that by having to continue to remain involved in not so pleasing ways with niggles and service. The i 20 is fuss free, even boring, with slick economical service, but for many of us, that is what we need from our cars to allow other priorities to be managed better! And I suspect, lots more Puntos among the active forum members, while in the overall market the i 20 seems to be meeting the needs of the market a lot better, as evidenced by the much higher sales numbers.
Maybe the Polo will capture the best of both worlds spot, time will tell.

Last edited by Sawyer : 29th March 2010 at 20:37.
Sawyer is offline  
Closed Thread


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search



All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 07:06.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks