Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > What Car? > Hatchbacks

Closed Thread

Old 8th March 2010, 22:55   #46
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kroniq View Post
i love driving and will be driving on my own at all times.

The car should be powerful and amazing to drive.
Hmmm, you can go in for a Punto MJD Active/Dynamic and do it up as you wish. That will free up your budget considerably.
After a bit you can go in for Pete's which will ensure the power stays enough to keep you interested.

i20 is great for city riding as I said before, however the steering is practically disconnected with the wheels. There is absolutely no feedback. The suspension and the steering will give out way before that gem of an engine does.

You can weigh your options now. I do believe it makes sense to go in for a diesel seeing your high running.
Old 8th March 2010, 23:36   #47
Team-BHP Support

I forgot to mention i20 has the best diesel engine the segment. Its an absolute all rounder. Its free revving, refined, frugal and powerful. Some of us may find it painful in city but thats due to the tall gearing. Expect the i20 CRDi to return better FE on Highways than any of the cars equipped with MJD.

Punto and i20 are equally good with their own unique set of qualities. I haven't driven the Polo yet.
Old 9th March 2010, 00:24   #48
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hpzone View Post
I do agree punto is a great car, but FIAT made it to fail in Inida. I wish if it was sold and services by Maruti
Do you have any first hand experience with Fiat service? Blanket statements like these give little value to a forum.
Old 9th March 2010, 02:26   #49
BHPian

kroniq you have done the first part of shortlisting very well. Three of these are perhaps the better of the lot available in the hot hatchback segment. All three very competent cars and have proven their credentials in other markets as well. This is how I would go about my buying decision:

Challenge with Polo would be very thin dealer & service network for Volkswagen in India. They have practically zero presence outside major metros and if you plan to go out of city you would dread that with Polo. Add to the fact, none of their cars have done well in India and there is question on their ability to sell well in India. VW may be huge globally but they are learning their lessons in India. Hence, I would rule Polo out of the mix.

Now, for i20 or Punto, I would simply say buy what appeals to you. Feature to feature you could compare them and there would be plus & minus for both of these so look at your needs. Punto is the car that bailed out and revived Fiat globally. If you are looking at long term ownership, Fiat cars are always better of than Japs / Korean cars for their built quality.

If I were you, I would give Grande Punto a good look and buy it.
Old 9th March 2010, 13:59   #50
BHPian

Hi Kroniq,
I will not quote on what others have already said and start a argument. I was also in a dilema when I bought mine few months back. I was basically looking for petrol since my running is less. For your running I would suggest a diesel.
I liked i20 a lot but the only reason I went for a Punto because i20 kappa felt underpowered, did TD with full AC on and 3 or more people in car. It does struggle, and if you are exiting a ramp /slope then you can imagine. I dont say its something you can't live with in city driving, but such an engine for a 7L car didn't appeal me, its the same engine as on the i10. Over taking manuvers need some planning with i20.

Interiors of i20 are much better than the Punto interiors, but a car is not just about interiors for that you have your home. Punto interiors are adequate, few levers/handles could have been built better.
And ofcourse so many people here have started bashing Fiat A.S.S just for no reason. Even I was reluctant at first, but after TDing punto enjoying the handling, steering feedback and the straight line stability I decided to go for Punto.
So far haven't had any issues with A.S.S of fiat infact I found it quite satisfactory. This blanket bashing happens all the time from non-owners without any proper justification. Sometimes I feel as if they are just jealous. Ofcourse I just dont fall for jazzy showrooms of car manufacturers, thou I enjoy visiting them.

Now coming to Polo, the feedback on petrol and diesel engines have been out. People find the petrol more fun to drive. VW A.S.S will take time to establish, dont just write off saying they will be doomed. Ofcourse for any manufacturer it will take time to setup. And VW is seriously thinking big for India. So I wont outright reject Polo only on A.S.S aspect. If you find it better than Punto or i20 go for it, only go for it if it appeals to you. Build quality, interiors would be good if not great. IMHO only worry is the engines there on the Polo.

When I bought mine there was neither the Polo or the Figo available, so atleast you have more options now. If you have the money go for i20 CRDI, it is totaly different car I would recommed it provided you have the budget for that,It is expensive thou, else VFM option would be Punto MJD E pack. why dont you consider Figo diesel, its also a nice engine and it should be cheaper too.
Best is do a TD of all four back to back multiple times and decide upon the driveability.

Last edited by samsan02 : 9th March 2010 at 14:00.
Old 9th March 2010, 14:34   #51
Team-BHP Support

Apt summary. Can you throw some light on your after sales service experience ?
Old 9th March 2010, 15:51   #52
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kroniq View Post
i love driving and will be driving on my own at all times. Delhi traffic is a bit of a mess so i want a car with a light clutch. My running is around 2-3000 a month. I travel alot as i stay in Gurgaon, had a swift before, was a beautiful car and had put 17's. i dint like the orignal wheels swift offered.\

Have been driving a corolla for the past year, been sharing it with parents and im used to the way the car is. I would like the car to have headlights with seprate bulbs for the high beam. I can always change after market. The car should be powerful and amazing to drive. You can even suggest something out of the list. I had planned on picking up a second-hand cedia but my parents arent too keen on the idea.

if i pick the polo up il be calling for the euro headlamps and 17's.
2-3k a month.. you might be better of with diesel and hopefully they dont withdraw the subsidies on diesel anytime soon ! I would have suggested you take a look at the Polo diesel, but i believe the diesel polo wont be here till May '10.

About Fiat A.S.S. the bashing may not always be just biassed perspective, in my case its pure fear out of the experience i had with my dealer (in blr) back in my UNO days, i was paying through my nose for that choice and honestly i couldnt afford it anymore after my car crossed 3 years. Though i loved the torquey drives, i never dared to go for a fiat again and never recommend it too !

i20 seems to be a stable car, may not have a character to boast about but surely is a good looking car. The point here is you want a powerful car and i am not sure if the i20 diesel will make you happy. Why not try the Verna Diesel, it sure rips through traffic - a 'fun to drive' diesel car and you might get good bargains too ! Considering delhi roads and traffic, i would recommend that you keep ABS as a 'must have' feature in the car you finally pick. All the best.
Old 9th March 2010, 16:19   #53
Senior - BHPian

Why are you not considering the FIGO?
The top diesel model at 5,29000 ex showroom is a steal imho.
Also as per GTO's review its the best diesel hatch to drive in the city.
Would seriously suggest you to td it once before making your mind.
Old 9th March 2010, 16:31   #54
BHPian

The selection would be in series Punto, VW Polo and i20.
Punto - Best build quality! After sales service is better, supported by Tata (its good).
Polo - German Engeenered, need to watch after sales service.
i20 - Looks to be little overpriced. After sales service is good.
Old 9th March 2010, 17:15   #55
Senior - BHPian

How about new Ford FIGO top end variant?
Old 9th March 2010, 17:18   #56
BHPian

For Ford Figo, we have a review on Team-BHP. Please go through it. After Sales Service in cities might be OK. The diesel version is good for city driving as turbo lag is less. Maintainance needs to be calculated.
Old 9th March 2010, 17:36   #57
BHPian

I think the Figo will be a better option. It is built better, has a very few niggles. If you want to go through the report, here is a link (Report and First Pics: The Ford Figo is HERE !! More info - Pg19).

And if you are sure that the Figo is definitely out of your list and you will make the choice out of the mentioned three, I'd say it will be between the Punto and the Polo.

The Punto, well, it is something what more or less the whole forum likes. Looks nice, rides well, also is loaded with tech you'll need to search for. In short, a decent package. The after sales is slowly improving and should be fine. There is only one case of a bad Punto I have heard so far.

The i20, it is beautiful to look at, no doubt. The engine is the same 1.2 Kappa from the i10. It is underpowered to say the least.

The Polo. It is new, Volkswagen is establishing itself in the hatch market. The car is well built and is loaded with goodies as well. I happened to see a couple of Polos at palm beach road yesterday, and they do have a presence.

My verdict (only because you can't wait), the Punto. Pure value for money.
Old 9th March 2010, 20:23   #58
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cartman View Post
I think the Figo will be a better option. It is built better, has a very few niggles.
Hardly any Figos are delivered till now and you have already declared it niggle free.
Old 9th March 2010, 21:22   #59
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by .anshuman View Post
Hardly any Figos are delivered till now and you have already declared it niggle free.
Bang on target. In the forum everybody started recommending Figo/Polo in majority of the cases. Both the cars are not even on the road. GTO has done fantastic jobs in his reviews, but thats not 'Gita'. Let both the car come on the road, run few thousand kms, then people should recommend them. I don't understand how people came to know - car is niggle free, has good FE, has no turbo lag etc. etc. Hope they gathered info from various websites/magazine. I would suggests every prospective buyers go and check out your favourite car yourself don't get biased.
Old 9th March 2010, 21:54   #60
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gaddiwale View Post
Bang on target. In the forum everybody started recommending Figo/Polo in majority of the cases. Both the cars are not even on the road. GTO has done fantastic jobs in his reviews, but thats not 'Gita'. Let both the car come on the road, run few thousand kms, then people should recommend them. I don't understand how people came to know - car is niggle free, has good FE, has no turbo lag etc. etc. Hope they gathered info from various websites/magazine. I would suggests every prospective buyers go and check out your favourite car yourself don't get biased.
For Team Bhp Ford is the popular brand followed by Maruti, Bottom two Skoda & VW
Closed Thread