Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > What Car? > Hatchbacks


Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 11th March 2010, 17:12   #76
Senior - BHPian
 
extreme_torque's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Melbourne
Posts: 3,546
Thanked: 1,317 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
However, the points I expressed about the poor Punto are MY opinion and are not intended to offend.
How often do we get away by saying thats 'MY' opinion and I am entitled to it on a forum. I am sorry but people have started to abuse this privilege.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
Unfortunately, while I love the Punto's looks I have not been impressed by its engine (whether 1.4 FIRE OR Diesel) + interiors + after sales service (I state this last bit because I have experienced Prerana and Concorde with my Dads Tata Indica). Heart gets tugged at each time I see a Punto, but Head refuses to turn.
For the want of basic objectivity, can I ask you what is the benchmark engine that you have in mind when you say you were not impressed?
How objective and logical is it to make up your mind regarding A$$ when you have experienced it in relation with a completely different product which unfortunately had its own set of constant niggling problems?

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
I would like to clarify that the VW Polo is more appealing than the Punto at the moment largely because it is NEW + fit and finish are definitely superior
- and it is true that VW has tried to value engineer the product to meet a certain price expectation.
And the value engineering argument takes a complete backseat when Fiat comes into the picture? Ok the quality isnt the best in its class but then Punto is also built to price but still provides you almost all the equipments that it is sold with in Europe. While Fiat have compromised with quality of plastics, VW have skimped on almost all the equipments and even the engine, which is a 3 pot unit!

To add to your Fiat related miseries, someone on the forum asked GTO, probably the only person who has driven all these cars including the VW Polo diesel and hence the only person on the forum who is qualified enough to comment on all these cars on his preference. His answer was the Punto MJD, a car about which you simply said "it looks good and thats it".

Enuf said.

Last edited by extreme_torque : 11th March 2010 at 17:23.
extreme_torque is offline  
Old 11th March 2010, 18:40   #77
BHPian
 
kroniq's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: delhi
Posts: 41
Thanked: 7 Times
Default

I test drove the sx4 today. It was the automatic one and was fantastic to drive had a powerful engine and the pickup was mindblowing. Im attracted to this car but i get the manual verison(vxi) at 7.01 lakhs on road.

*is this car value for money?
i get an extra boot boot but compromise on the good looking interiors of the i20 and the punto
*milege
my running is high and i need the average to be more than 10kmpl
*a.s.s
ive had a sour experience with my swift which i had before this but had to sell of because of an accident

punto mjd emotion+ costs me 6.5 lakhs on road
is there any other version comming? i heard from somewhere about the sportz but im not sure about the difference and its availability.can anyone help me?

i20 1.2 topend with sunroof costs me 6.8 on road
i feel the engine to be underpowered and dint like the drive

i20 1.4crdi costs me 7.5 on road
is it value for money?somehow it does not appeal to me. Havent taken the testdrive so id like to know how the engine is?


thank you people in advance
kroniq is offline  
Old 11th March 2010, 19:04   #78
Senior - BHPian
 
extreme_torque's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Melbourne
Posts: 3,546
Thanked: 1,317 Times
Default

@kroniq... The SX4 manual will give you 10-12 kmpl depending on the traffic situations but since your running is high I would recommend a diesel.
I would avoid the i20 1.2 at 6.8 Lakhs simply because the engine isnt as good as the rest of the car.
You cannot go wrong with either the Punto 1.3 MJD or the i20 Diesel. Both are good in their own ways and its down to individual choice among the two. I like the Punto better simply because the drive in the i20 feels disconnecte but then again some people like that experience.
If I were you, I would wait for the Punto sports which is expected to be launched in the second quarter of this year.
Fiat to launch Grande Punto Sports in second quarter | Autoholiks
extreme_torque is offline  
Old 11th March 2010, 19:17   #79
Team-BHP Support
 
.anshuman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Good-Gaon
Posts: 7,709
Thanked: 8,929 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by kroniq View Post
i20 1.4crdi costs me 7.5 on road
. Havent taken the testdrive so id like to know how the engine is?

Please refer post# 47 of this thread.
.anshuman is offline  
Old 11th March 2010, 19:34   #80
BHPian
 
theEnd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Bombay
Posts: 534
Thanked: 5 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by extreme_torque View Post
And the value engineering argument takes a complete backseat when Fiat comes into the picture? Ok the quality isnt the best in its class but then Punto is also built to price but still provides you almost all the equipments that it is sold with in Europe. While Fiat have compromised with quality of plastics, VW have skimped on almost all the equipments and even the engine, which is a 3 pot unit!
Excellent observation. Here in India we continue to get "compromised" cars, whether it be with quality of plastics and build (Fiat Putno) or with smaller engines (Honda Jazz and VW Polo) or with minimal features (VW Polo) or a previous generation car altogether (Ford Figo).

It seems the only carmaker to take India seriously and treat us on par with international markets is Hyundai with its i20. Although the car may not be fun to drive, this is a common Hyundai trait. I sincerely appreciate Hyundai's decision not to treat us like a second-class market of compromising buyers.
theEnd is offline  
Old 11th March 2010, 19:40   #81
Senior - BHPian
 
extreme_torque's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Melbourne
Posts: 3,546
Thanked: 1,317 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by theEnd View Post
It seems the only carmaker to take India seriously and treat us on par with international markets is Hyundai with its i20. Although the car may not be fun to drive, this is a common Hyundai trait. I sincerely appreciate Hyundai's decision not to treat us like a second-class market of compromising buyers.
The fact that i20 is built here and is exported to Europe in large numbers not only helps overall volumes but also keep the costs down in both demograhies.
But then again you also have to keep in mind that both VW Polo and the Fiat Punto cost more in Europe than i20.
extreme_torque is offline  
Old 11th March 2010, 19:44   #82
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Andromeda
Posts: 311
Thanked: 59 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by PAVAN KADAM View Post
With the POLO you dont need to worry about the service networks . All VW's are built to last.

Ford is always expensive.

Fiats are the best of the lot, but bad T-BHP / TATA image.

i20 is a good car and thats it, nothing more nothing less, Plane Jane.

Dont ever consider any Maruti products.
Well, how do you know that all VW's are built to last?
joe1980 is online now  
Old 11th March 2010, 19:54   #83
BHPian
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Banagalore
Posts: 122
Thanked: 19 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by PAVAN KADAM View Post
With the POLO you dont need to worry about the service networks . All VW's are built to last.

Ford is always expensive.

Fiats are the best of the lot, but bad T-BHP / TATA image.

i20 is a good car and thats it, nothing more nothing less, Plane Jane.

Dont ever consider any Maruti products.
Above statements are 100 % true.
Those who want to spend less and somewhat fine with less safety features and build will go for Maruti / Hyundais.
Ford could not cash on a proven car Fusion , risk seekers can consider untested Figo given the short lifecycle of Ford products.

Fiat again has been agressive but will die a slow death with Polo in for a long haul.
Fabiaous is offline  
Old 11th March 2010, 19:55   #84
BHPian
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Chennai
Posts: 205
Thanked: 0 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by theEnd View Post
Excellent observation. Here in India we continue to get "compromised" cars, whether it be with quality of plastics and build (Fiat Putno) or with smaller engines (Honda Jazz and VW Polo) or with minimal features (VW Polo) or a previous generation car altogether (Ford Figo).

It seems the only car maker to take India seriously and treat us on par with international markets is Hyundai with its i20. Although the car may not be fun to drive, this is a common Hyundai trait. I sincerely appreciate Hyundai's decision not to treat us like a second-class market of compromising buyers.

The reason for the difference between what is offered to us and other developed countries is that the market is not willing to pay extra for all those features. Market is very cost sensitive.Manufacturers can not price the cars same as that of developed market eventough they manufacture here in India because of the low volumes. They can not recover cost for the volumes they sell here with lower pricing.
joshdrive is offline  
Old 11th March 2010, 20:02   #85
mkh
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 1,071
Thanked: 107 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fabiaous View Post
Above statements are 100 % true.
Those who want to spend less and somewhat fine with less safety features and build will go for Maruti / Hyundais.
Ford could not cash on a proven car Fusion , risk seekers can consider untested Figo given the short lifecycle of Ford products.

Fiat again has been agressive but will die a slow death with Polo in for a long haul.
Less safety features and build- hyundai?
i20 has all the safety features- yeah you have to spend money to get them. Just to quote( am sure you would know, but still)
The Hyundai i20 earned Euro NCAP a maximum 5 star safety rating [2] and scored an impressive six out of a maximum seven points in the "safety assist" category, receiving top marks for its belt reminder and electronic stability programme which minimises the risk of skidding by braking individual wheels
As for build quality, check any santro owner and they will least of all complain of rattles and squeaks. Look at the interior plastic quality and finish of the i-10 and even the solid build of the verna
Hyundai, FIAT and VW give sturdy cars and good quality. For Safety- Germans are well known for that but not that hyundai, FIAT are far behind. Maruti, i agree does not have a great reputation on these 2 aspects.
mkh is offline  
Old 11th March 2010, 20:18   #86
BHPian
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Chennai
Posts: 205
Thanked: 0 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fabiaous View Post
Above statements are 100 % true.
Those who want to spend less and somewhat fine with less safety features and build will go for Maruti / Hyundais.
Ford could not cash on a proven car Fusion , risk seekers can consider untested Figo given the short lifecycle of Ford products.

Fiat again has been agressive but will die a slow death with Polo in for a long haul.
I find no truth in these statements today. They were true in 1990s.

Today, cars from Hundai are good in build and safety.

Fusion failed because it came to premium hatch market too early+bad marketing. Jazz is failure and does it mean its risk to buy Honda cars??
If you search this forum you will find that your statement on life cycle and Pavan Kadam's statement of "ford always expensive" are false.

Fiat is alive and keeps providing great products for past several years. Its just that we keep flocking to Maruti products. Even this is bound to change from now and Fiat will be there with its own fan following.
joshdrive is offline  
Old 11th March 2010, 20:21   #87
BHPian
 
A350XWB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: BLR/FRA/STR
Posts: 791
Thanked: 526 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by extreme_torque View Post
The fact that i20 is built here and is exported to Europe in large numbers not only helps overall volumes but also keep the costs down in both demograhies.
But then again you also have to keep in mind that both VW Polo and the Fiat Punto cost more in Europe than i20.
Could not get the price of Polo, but I did a quick search for the prices of Punto and i20 here in Germany. The base 5 door version of Punto is priced at 10,790 (1.2/65PS) and the i20 5 door base version is priced at 12,000 (1.2/75PS). But for the safety equipment offered for the base version of i20 is more than that of the base Punto.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fabiaous View Post
Above statements are 100 % true.
Those who want to spend less and somewhat fine with less safety features and build will go for Maruti / Hyundais.
Give me a break!
A350XWB is online now  
Old 11th March 2010, 20:41   #88
Senior - BHPian
 
extreme_torque's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Melbourne
Posts: 3,546
Thanked: 1,317 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by A350XWB View Post
Could not get the price of Polo, but I did a quick search for the prices of Punto and i20 here in Germany. The base 5 door version of Punto is priced at €10,790 (1.2/65PS) and the i20 5 door base version is priced at €12,000 (1.2/75PS). But for the safety equipment offered for the base version of i20 is more than that of the base Punto.
The Grande Punto has been relegated to an entry level model after the launch of the Punto EVO even then here are the UK prices for the base model of both Grande Punto and Hyundai i20

Fiat Grande Punto - 10395 Pounds
Hyundai i20 - 9340 Pounds

And to top it, the i20 comes with six air bags and stability control as standard even on the base model as has more equipments when compared to the base Punto.
extreme_torque is offline  
Old 11th March 2010, 21:00   #89
BHPian
 
A350XWB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: BLR/FRA/STR
Posts: 791
Thanked: 526 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by extreme_torque View Post
The Grande Punto has been relegated to an entry level model after the launch of the Punto EVO even then here are the UK prices for the base model of both Grande Punto and Hyundai i20

Fiat Grande Punto - 10395 Pounds
Hyundai i20 - 9340 Pounds

And to top it, the i20 comes with six air bags and stability control as standard even on the base model as has more equipments when compared to the base Punto.
That's the same thing I mentioned in my post. There was a typo in my post, the "But for" should be read as "But".
A350XWB is online now  
Old 11th March 2010, 21:52   #90
BHPian
 
MARCUS_520i's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 522
Thanked: 149 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe1980 View Post
Well, how do you know that all VW's are built to last?
You may try going through his profile once!!
MARCUS_520i is offline  
Closed Thread


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search



All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 11:45.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks