Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > What Car? > Hatchbacks

Closed Thread

Old 17th March 2010, 12:14   #106
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kroniq View Post
Test drove the sx4 manual and i find it much more powerful then any other car in the same price range..i even get a boot. The car is costing me 7.5lakhs on road. Please advise if theres any other car in the same range to choose from.
Chevy Aveo is in the same range i guess, but chances are you like the sx4 better than the Aveo.
Old 17th March 2010, 15:04   #107
BHPian

kroniq, buddy, why aren't you looking at used cars? There will be many cars in the seven lakh range which have a lot left in them.
Check this (ARTICLE: The Best (used) Enthusiast cars for 6 lakh rupees! Or less).
Old 17th March 2010, 20:46   #108
Senior - BHPian

Autocar India did a comparo last week on Punto vs i20 vs Polo vs Fabia. I highly disagreed with most of the points they made and it was as if VW paid them for rating the Polo higher.
Design wise they rated the Polo to be the most beautiful of the lot!! Not Punto, not i20!
Even the 3 cylinder engine acc. to ACI is better than that of i20 and Punto.
These factors make the Polo the best buy in the segment acc. to them!
Old 17th March 2010, 22:04   #109
Team-BHP Support

My bet would still be Punto Diesel or i20 Petrol.
Old 17th March 2010, 22:53   #110
BHPian

my pick would be polo, it has stunning looks, elegant interiors and snob value. The 3-cylinder engine is not a let down, TD it. Rich feeling inside, wide body means you wont brush your fellow passenger while driving. Gear shifts are butter smooth, fantastic ride and handling and a FE of 17.1 Kmpl the best in premium class
Old 18th March 2010, 04:46   #111
BHPian

The discussion is very vague here. I am not biased towards i20 but i wanted to know what people mean by the following:

"The suspension and the steering will give out way before that gem of an engine does"
"drive in the i20 feels disconnected.."
"Donít buy it if you enjoy driving.."

On highways - which would perfom better - punto / i20 ? (diesel versions only )
Old 18th March 2010, 08:05   #112
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by quadra View Post

On highways - which would perfom better - punto / i20 ? (diesel versions only )
The Punto period. The i20 is a good car but I didn't like the i20's power steering, it really does feel a lot more vague than the Punto's steering.

To reiterate: Punto is the one.
Old 18th March 2010, 14:06   #113
Senior - BHPian

@ Quadra

The Punto handles beautifully. It can be thrown into high speed corners with a lot of poise.

The steering is so well connected with the way the car moves that a feeling of control remains at very high speeds too.

However, thanks to a high kerb weight and an ordinary engine, the Punto is not fast. When I say this I mean, it wouldn't have the neck snapping acceleration of the Swift. Punto is not slow, it is just not fast.

The i20 on the other hand is reasonably well paced. The engine is an absolute gem. What ruins it for the i20 on the highway is a steering wheel which is very light. It does not weigh in well enough with speed.
Alongside, the i20 does not give a rock solid feel wrt the handling and ride quality.

Punto's weight is apparent in the way it carries itself at high speeds. It is extremely planted while the i20 can get pitchy.

A pete'd Punto should be pretty good on the highway.
Old 18th March 2010, 18:32   #114
Senior - BHPian

Smile

^^ Well said. Punto is a car which inspires lot of confidence while driving. It is a fact that none of the available engine options match it's dynamics. 100+ BHP is a must.

Waiting a long for that and at last will get one by July 2010.(Punto Sport 90 BHP). 1.6 MJD 120 BHP was my wish list. But cant wait for that long (may be by 2012).

i20 & Polo are good cars. But Polo need a variant brimmed with all bells & whistles.

If you love driving and enjoy it, Punto is the car. May be Polo too, if had a fully loaded variant & a good engine. (Don't discard FIAT on the basis of A.S.S. There was a problem few years back. They had came out of it and improving massively)

Cheers!
Old 19th March 2010, 03:05   #115
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by EssYouWe View Post
@ Quadra

The Punto handles beautifully. It can be thrown into high speed corners with a lot of poise.

The steering is so well connected with the way the car moves that a feeling of control remains at very high speeds too.

However, thanks to a high kerb weight and an ordinary engine, the Punto is not fast. When I say this I mean, it wouldn't have the neck snapping acceleration of the Swift. Punto is not slow, it is just not fast.

The i20 on the other hand is reasonably well paced. The engine is an absolute gem. What ruins it for the i20 on the highway is a steering wheel which is very light. It does not weigh in well enough with speed.
Alongside, the i20 does not give a rock solid feel wrt the handling and ride quality.

Punto's weight is apparent in the way it carries itself at high speeds. It is extremely planted while the i20 can get pitchy.

A pete'd Punto should be pretty good on the highway.
That my friend clears the air. Thanks a lot.

I was so mad at people just saying that i20 is not good at highways, no one explaining the reason why...well, now i know.

AFAIK, a PETE'd Punto would be pleasure to drive on highways
Old 19th March 2010, 11:31   #116
Senior - BHPian

Saw one Red Polo Highline today around 10.00am while standing at Patiala House Bus Stop opposite Pragati Maidan. It has a pretty good road presence but not at all near a Exotica Red Punto E-Pack. Polo is composed and have a low stance reminding me the good old ZEN. Smoked head lamps and designed tails lamps (Euro spec) could have made some wickedness to polo.

Cheers!
Old 19th March 2010, 14:02   #117
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kroniq View Post
hey guys,

i want to purchase a new car but am in a dilemma. My budget is 6-6.5 can stretch to 7. I test drove the punto but it dint appeal to me, and the waiting period for the polo is 3 months. Please advise.

Though i prefer the polo to the punto, i20 has more features. Im confused and cannot wait long for the car.

Make a decision based on your requirements.

1. Driving pleasure - Punto> Polo> i20
2. Features - i20>Punto>Polo
3. Ownership experience - i20 > Punto = Polo?
4. Fuel Efficiency - ?
5. Price

Please think which of the above points is more important to you and choose a car that matches your requirement.
Old 19th March 2010, 17:34   #118

Unhappy Thoroughly Confused! Polo v.Punto v.i20 v.Accent

Hi Ppl,
This is my 1st post on TeamBHP and this seems the best way to start it off! I plan to buy a car and have shortlisted (again tentatively... so confused! ) between the Polo 1.2 Trendline, Punto 1.4, i20 and Accent. My budget was initially 5Lakhs but given performance and feature considerations I've kinda had to take it to 6L [which justifies the Punto & i20. The Accent falls under 5 coz I can get it thru the CSD route]. Ill try and list out comprehensively what im looking for and the pros and cons of each car for me. Desperately need your help since the more TDs i do and the more reviewes i read im just more confused!

What im looking for in a Car
  1. Style
  2. VFM viz. features at a reasonable price point
  3. Driving Fun & Comfort [Inter State travel and long road trip at least 2wice a month]
  4. Fuel Efficiency
  5. Maintenance costs
Having test driven all the 4 cars here is my pros/cons analysis:

Accent
Pros
  1. Sedan class and boot space
  2. Dirt cheap!
  3. Decent mix of features at the pricepoint [keyless entry, 4 power windows, lamps etc.]
  4. Good power- 95ps [but a lil uninspiring drive. Good engine refinement and response though]
Cons
  1. Old chassis.
  2. Outdated model. Ive heard it will be phased out soon though the Hyundai guys (predictably) flatly denied it for d next 2 yrs. Still, expected phase out.
  3. Styling not all that inspiring and interiors look outadted and bland. The wood finish looks out of place; like a cosmetic job to
  4. Sedan rates for spares and maintenance.
  5. Lack of spares/support once phased out.
  6. Low fuel efficiency (~10-12)
Polo [Dont see point in Comfort/Trendline for high price and lack of features]
Pros
  1. Great looks.
  2. Awesome VFM at price point. Has some good features as standard for d base model.
  3. Brilliant build quality for its class.
  4. Overall space is good, esp. boot.
  5. Great Ride and Handling.
  6. Exhudes that German class, quality and feel. Feels solid and safe.
  7. Fits my budget to a T.
  8. VW badge, great looks, makes quite a style statement.
Cons
  1. Underpowered engine. Though the engine is very refined but you feel the difference of a 3 cylinder and lack of horses compared to the others here.
  2. Damn that engine is freakishly noisy!
  3. Spares, maintenance costs etc. a grey area and I expect them to be high given its European.
  4. Lack of dealership and service centres [Though the Polo guy told me there will be tie ups with VW sister brands i.e. Skoda, Volvo, Audi. Dont really trust this given d others are luxury brands]
  5. Big turning radius.
  6. Clutch is placed high up so on long drives d leg starts to ache. esp. for taller ppl with long legs [Im 6ft.]
  7. Lacks the features of a Punto or i20 [but then comes cheaper too :( ]
i20 Asta
Pros
  1. Great features.
  2. Good looker.
  3. Comfortable drive
  4. Spacious enough
Cons
  1. No outstanding feature. Is a decent package and performs well across benchmarks but doesnt excel anywhere.
  2. Placid drive.
  3. Build quality is just above average.
  4. Steering is very light and the car doesnt inspire confidence at high speeds.
Punto 1.4 Dynamic [1.2 doesnt make sense. Find it underpowered]
Pros
  1. Best engine I drove. Very refined and responsive.
  2. Great seats and comfort.
  3. 90ps feels most fun to drive even tho the Accent has more power on paper.
  4. Killer styling and interiors. Find only the Polo compareable here.
  5. Good fit and finish, build quality.
Cons
  1. Found the suspension very stiff.Felt most of the bumps and the car bounced off speed brakers.
  2. Fiat. Perception in the markett on spares, cost, servicing, maintenance etc. is low. The Tata argument somehow doesnt convince me coz I had quite bad experience with them. [Have had the Sumo and India in th past; apart from pathetic build quality the service was literally unqualified and a huge fleece]
  3. Low Fuel efficiency expected.
P.S. Have a dealer contact who is willing to get me a Punto Emotion PK 1.4 fully loaded Red color @6.1L on road delhi-Immediate delivery. Catch is its a 2009 model. Does it make sense given its a 2009 model and at the extreme limit of my budget?

Would like to add that I'll mostly be driving alone or max 1-2 passengers; so its gotta be a car that's more driver specific; more so given that i intend to drive long distances.

Please feel free to add/subtract to the list since my findings are based mostly on limited preliminary test drives within the city. I may not have got the full picture. If there is any other Car that fits the bracket and budget then please do tell; like I said im quite confused.

Need Help

Thanks, Hope this helps. Greatly looking forward to get some sensible perspective on this.

Last edited by khan_sultan : 19th March 2010 at 17:39. Reason: Only 2 smileys per post please
Old 19th March 2010, 17:49   #119
Senior - BHPian

As I see it, the only doubt you have regarding the Punto is the after sales and I must tell you that a lot of it is market perception as you correctly pointed out these days while some of it is true but then nothing is perfect. If you enjoyed the Punto, I dont think you should stop yourself from buying it.

I would recommend going for the 2010 version primarily because it comes with better quality interiors and some refinements all around.

Last edited by extreme_torque : 19th March 2010 at 17:50.
Old 19th March 2010, 18:01   #120
BHPian

I am no expert at this but I would say it should be the punto.
Reasons:
1. the offer you are getting is pretty good because I just checked carwale and it says ex showroom mumbai is 6.17lakh. So you are getting a pretty good offer. But I cannot comment on what the disadvantages could be of owning a year old car.
2. Among your options, Punto should be the most fun to drive car. Although the car is heavier than the others, the power should take care of that.
3. IMO, the Punto is the best looking of the lot, and looks best in red.

But I advice you to wait for the experts to answer your queries beacause I am an absolute amature!!
Closed Thread