Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > What Car? > Hatchbacks

Old 11th March 2010, 20:35   #16
BHPian

FIAT 1.6 sports (or) FIAT punto is your choice..
Mr_Bean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th March 2010, 20:52   #17
Senior - BHPian

Hey SS da

you have not shared info about your friend and his needs (other than the budget)

1. Is he a first time buyer or already owned cars before ?
2. How big is his family ?
3. Is he going to drive the car himself or keep a driver ?
4. what are are his hierarchy of needs ?
- Uniqueness
- Image / Brand value
- Looks / smartness
- Reliability
- Lower cost of ownership
- Comfort
- Ease of maintenance
- etc, etc

i suggest you need to consider these aspets apart from the avaibility of sales and aftersales touch points in his town prior to recommending him a car.
StarVegabond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th March 2010, 22:16   #18
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarVegabond View Post
Hey SS da

you have not shared info about your friend and his needs (other than the budget).
No, he's had a M-800 till now, since the last 6 years or so.

The couple and a kid, plus he's expecting to be a dad again next month.

He drives himself.

Based on priority, they should be
- Uniqueness - (1)
- Looks / smartness - (1)
- Bells & whistles (2)
- Comfort (2)
- Lower cost of ownership - (3)
- Ease of maintenance - (3)
- Reliability (3)
- Image / Brand value - (4)
- Ease of parking - (5)
- Luggage capacity - Not important at all, since he rarely travels out of station with the car.

Based on the fact that he has no use for luggage space (read: a boot), and that he places some priority on ease of parking in a small congested town like Moradabad, I would continue to suggest a hatch to him, and he is also inclined towards a hatch rather than a sedan. Therefore I would request the moderators to change the title of the thread to "Petrol Hatchback That "Looks Smart", Within 7.5 Lakhs". The consideration of a sedan has been purely academic for us, since he himself is not interested in one any more. The current title "Petrol CarThat "Looks Smart", Within 7.5 Lakhs" may be misleading, and one can suggest that he goes and buys a Gypsy among all his choices.
SS-Traveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th March 2010, 22:40   #19
Senior - BHPian

Hi SS da

Based on your response, I suggest that he must buy a Hatchback (and hatchback only)

It must be a full 5 seater car. 4 seater won't help even if he has his parents and/or inlaws visiting him.

Safety is important factor considering kids would be traveling in the car often.

Since his milage is less (you mentioned 7K-8K per year), petrol car is good enough, unless he changes his mind and plans couple of long trips during the year.

Among his hierarchy of needs Uniqueness and Looks are important and of first priority. Considering this he should go for any newly launched car i.e. i20, Fabia, Punto, Beat, Polo, Figo.

I have excluded Maruti Suzuki because you mentioned he does not prefer that except may be A Star, so let us include A Star in the above list.

You (or he) may check which of the above cars/brands have dealership as well as servcie centers available in his town. this is the second filter.

Comfort, ease of driving, ease of parking are important for him (2nd priority), Let him test drive and find out which one offers him the good experience. This is the third filter.

Reliability, Cost of ownership, Ease of maintenance are his thrid priority.
here you and he has to use xls worksheet to do some calculations on the cost of the car, financing cost, cost of running (based on fuel economy), cost of service (use the ownership reports here plus ask him to check with the dealer). Check which brand offers best warrantee / maintenance package. Check on the reputation of the after sales service satisfaction levels. This could be the fourth filter.

Bells and Whistles can always be added later on and can be part of his negotiation.

Among the final choice of 2, he can apply the final filter of image/brand value.

i do not dare give any suggetions on particular car as i do not have first hand experience of owning/driving these cars.

Last edited by StarVegabond : 11th March 2010 at 22:42.
StarVegabond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th March 2010, 22:41   #20
Senior - BHPian

@SS-Traveller,

I was wondering whether Safety is a criteria at all! couldn't see it on the list, trust it was left out by oversight.

i20 is the one to go for measures up against every criteria.
khoj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th March 2010, 22:55   #21
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarVegabond View Post
Safety is important factor considering kids would be traveling in the car often.
Bells and Whistles can always be added later on and can be part of his negotiation.
Quote:
Originally Posted by khoj View Post
I was wondering whether Safety is a criteria at all! couldn't see it on the list, trust it was left out by oversight.

i20 is the one to go for measures up against every criteria.
Safety is a big, big criterion. When I mentioned bells and whistles, I included all of that - ABS, airbags, tubeless tyres et al. That is his main reason for choosing a top-end car - many of the lower end cars don't have ABS/airbags. As to adding aftermarket bells and whistles of the show-off type, I did mention that he is not inclined to go to an accessories shop and add them on.
Quote:
He is not comfortable with shopping for car accessories.
Looks like the i20 is his best bet. Not too many of the 1.4 (P) AT here at T-BHP, and no cars with any reasonable mileage added on. I wonder if any member would know of friends whose experiences can be reported here for my friend's benefit. He is following this thread too.

Last edited by SS-Traveller : 11th March 2010 at 22:58.
SS-Traveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th March 2010, 01:47   #22
Senior - BHPian

Good to know that he intends to go for all the safety features none of which in any case (apart from tubeless tires) can be fitted after market or for that matter at dealer level.

I was just reading i20 1.4 (P) AT reviews from two team members and another post from a third i20 AT owner on the forum. One of these gentlemen had to wait 51 days for his car due to the high demand for the AT model. That in itself should be a good indicator. Two of my cousin sisters are using the 1.2 i20 in Delhi and are completely satisfied with their purchase till they get stuck in traffic jams and then they start dreaming of upgrading to AT. I hope that your friend does buy the AT and that too the (O) version with 8 air bags and all. Good luck and wish him a happy purchasing and ownership experience.
khoj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th March 2010, 02:03   #23
Senior - BHPian

Why not the top end i10 which has all bells and whistles. Engine is decent enough with good mileage as well. He can definitely save some money and get a good deal as well with all priorities intact.
harry10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th March 2010, 11:48   #24
Senior - BHPian

As listed I-20, VW-Polo 1.6L, Jazz.

These would be the may contenders in 7.5L range.

Can go for I-20 keeping your eyes closed if money is not a problem.
If you are worried abt the 1.2L eng Spec. then 1.6L Polo will be the right choice.
Ramsagar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th March 2010, 12:07   #25
BHPian

If budget is not a problem, go for i20 top-end eyes-closed.

Other choice might be newly introduced vista top-end. Would be highly exclusive if available in 2nd anniversary version. http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/1519774-post23.html
Comrade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th March 2010, 14:18   #26
Senior - BHPian

Hey Doc, I just saw the Ford Figo and boy does she look nice or what. Typical European Focus look(slight shrunk that is).

I'm sure there will be a Ford dealership in Moradabad/Ghaziabad/Nainital belt.

Check it out.
MileCruncher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th March 2010, 14:25   #27
BHPian

Tata-Fiat dealership details

Shree Balaji Auto Wheels India Pvt. Limited
Opposite Circuit House,
Delhi Road,
Niryat Nagar,
Moradabad - 244002
Tel.: 0591-2485666 / 9837068999
adits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th March 2010, 14:31   #28
Distinguished - BHPian

If he is not an auto enthusiast, he won't care about the slightly underpowered engine of the i20. Which really makes all the other cars pointless, save for the Punto. The top-end Polo skimps on equipment list, the Fabia is a dead product for all practical purposes, the Jazz is low on the equipment list anyway, maybe the top end Beat will be a good hoice and save him some dough. Else, it's between the Punto Emotion / i20 Asta. Can't go wrong with either. Just check for A.S.S. of both in the area.
FlyingSpur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th March 2010, 14:47   #29
BHPian

My suggestions in (my) order of preference:
- i10 (1.2 Asta)
- i20 (1.2 Asta)
- Punto (1.2/1.4/diesel)
- Beat (petrol)
- Figo (petrol/diesel)
- Polo (petrol)
- Vista (petrol/diesel)
- Manza (petrol)
- Fiesta (petrol)

Rohan
rohan_iitr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th March 2010, 14:57   #30
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS-Traveller View Post
No, he's had a M-800 till now, since the last 6 years or so.

The couple and a kid, plus he's expecting to be a dad again next month.

He drives himself.

Based on priority, they should be
- Uniqueness - (1)
- Looks / smartness - (1)
- Bells & whistles (2)
- Comfort (2)
- Lower cost of ownership - (3)
- Ease of maintenance - (3)
- Reliability (3)
- Image / Brand value - (4)
- Ease of parking - (5)
- Luggage capacity - Not important at all, since he rarely travels out of station with the car.

Based on the fact that he has no use for luggage space (read: a boot), and that he places some priority on ease of parking in a small congested town like Moradabad, I would continue to suggest a hatch to him, and he is also inclined towards a hatch rather than a sedan. Therefore I would request the moderators to change the title of the thread to "Petrol Hatchback That "Looks Smart", Within 7.5 Lakhs". The consideration of a sedan has been purely academic for us, since he himself is not interested in one any more. The current title "Petrol CarThat "Looks Smart", Within 7.5 Lakhs" may be misleading, and one can suggest that he goes and buys a Gypsy among all his choices.
Looking at all his requirements there is just one hatch which can satisfy his needs, Honda Jazz. Its exclusive, looks smart, good space and comfort, easy to drive in city, peppy 1.2 ltr petrol engine and most important Honda is happy with the current sales figures hence they will not reduce its price which will make it more Unique and Exclusive month after month

The other exclusive (read as few on road) car is Punto 1.4. Its more exclusive then i20 and has everything except interior fit and finish, the dash to be specific.
HammerHead is offline   Reply With Quote