Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > What Car? > Hatchbacks


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 24th March 2010, 14:23   #16
Senior - BHPian
 
aargee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: KATN
Posts: 4,694
Thanked: 2,115 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajushank84 View Post
Zxi is 5.91 lakhs on-road in Chennai. My Xeta is 2.5 years old (Dec 2007 model).
God!!! what has increased? If you don't mind could you give the breakup? The ex showroom price in Chennai from the website says only 5.22L; did the road tax & insurance (assuming you don't get 1st year free insurance) work up to the remaining 69K?
aargee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th March 2010, 14:31   #17
BHPian
 
rajushank84's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: California, USA
Posts: 861
Thanked: 350 Times
Default

I guess they revised the prices after going for K-Series engine. I checked with both Cars India and Khivraj, they both quote the same.

Here's a link to the Khivraj page, these are the same prices he mentioned over the phone: Swift

But ultimate comedy is that they do not have test-drive vehicle with K-Series engine. They are selling Swifts by giving test-drive of diesel vehicle and saying that "it will be same".

I asked the guy, how can I invest a seven year loan on this vehicle without even test-driving it? He says he understands and I am right, but they haven't got test drive vehicles yet.
rajushank84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th March 2010, 14:48   #18
BHPian
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 541
Thanked: 13 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajushank84 View Post
I've wanted to ask this question for a long time. Is it possible to change tyres at the showroom itself? My friend's friend drove straight from the showroom to the tyre shop, and the tyre wallah gave him only "used" tyre prices!
Yes you can. Finalize the deal with the tyre-wala beforehand itself.
Give him an option to come with the new replacement tyres at the showroom, while taking delivery.

They may not give you 100% value of the exchange tyres, say 10-15% less.
But for those crappy Swift standard tyres, its well worth changing as early as you can.
jigbarai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th March 2010, 15:25   #19
BHPian
 
asethi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 374
Thanked: 40 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajushank84 View Post
I've wanted to ask this question for a long time. Is it possible to change tyres at the showroom itself?
Yes, my friend got them changed from the dealer itself at the time of delivery on his VDi in Delhi.
asethi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th March 2010, 21:01   #20
BHPian
 
rajushank84's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: California, USA
Posts: 861
Thanked: 350 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by aargee View Post
God!!! what has increased? If you don't mind could you give the breakup? The ex showroom price in Chennai from the website says only 5.22L; did the road tax & insurance (assuming you don't get 1st year free insurance) work up to the remaining 69K?
Actually I am beginning to have serious second thoughts. Swift seems to be a bit overpriced. Maruti Swift Lxi being the basic model with just AC, is priced at 4.7lakhs OTR Chennai.

The similarly priced i10 Sportz seems to offer much more - with central locking, music system, 4 speakers, antenna, vanity mirror, rear wiper & washer,tilt steering, 4 power windows, seat-belt warning, door ajar warning, digital clock, TACHO. The engine specs between Swift and i10 are quite similar too.
rajushank84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th March 2010, 21:16   #21
Senior - BHPian
 
aargee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: KATN
Posts: 4,694
Thanked: 2,115 Times
Default

Raju, in my humble opinion, pls retain the Indica, its just 2.5 years new, all the niggling issues can be handled well & all the more you've the power of TBHP.

Anyways, have you thought about buying a car from True Value or some other reputed used car dealer? That should work out little better but you need to negotiate on the intrest rate of the used car loan.
aargee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th March 2010, 21:35   #22
BHPian
 
rajushank84's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: California, USA
Posts: 861
Thanked: 350 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by aargee View Post
Raju, in my humble opinion, pls retain the Indica, its just 2.5 years new, all the niggling issues can be handled well & all the more you've the power of TBHP.

Anyways, have you thought about buying a car from True Value or some other reputed used car dealer? That should work out little better but you need to negotiate on the intrest rate of the used car loan.
aargee, thanks for your suggestion! however, it is not just niggling issues why i plan to change the car, it is already my plan (for a long time) to change it at break-even point. several reasons for that - comfort level, refinement level, performance and also, it is not the easiest car to drive everyday (mainly thanks to its width, turning radius and reluctance to change direction - but it is a great highway hatch by the way). when buying the car, this was the best i could get at my budget, so i decided i will keep it for 2 - 3 years and change it at break-even point. on top of that, i am having bad experiences with TASS now.

but thanks much, i will definitely keep your suggestion in mind. but the point is, even if i hang on to the car for say another year, the resale value will only dip further, so i will not have any particular financial advantage from hanging on to it.

i dont want to buy a used car unless there is no other way. i am a bit finicky about running-in the engine, not riding the clutch, not abusing brakes and stuff like that. but yes you are right, rather than buying a used car i can stick on to this car.
rajushank84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th March 2010, 22:14   #23
BHPian
 
megazoid's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 183
Thanked: 128 Times
Default

So here is what I did. Just wanted to own a hatch. A hatch for pure driving pleasure that had the advantages of good service and performance. As usual, money was a problem but still went ahead and booked the old 1.3L swift. Wouldn't say I got a great deal or anything. Am hoping to enjoy this car. I wanted that extra 100cc too. So thought against going for the new swift and ofcourse I chose the petrol. I also hurried because I wanted the old swift only.

So, in case you want to grab a swift, just go do it even if logic might dictate otherwise.

Last edited by megazoid : 25th March 2010 at 22:22.
megazoid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th March 2010, 08:33   #24
Senior - BHPian
 
aargee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: KATN
Posts: 4,694
Thanked: 2,115 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajushank84 View Post
comfort level, refinement level, performance and also, it is not the easiest car to drive everyday (mainly thanks to its width, turning radius and reluctance to change direction - but it is a great highway hatch by the way).
Very true

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajushank84 View Post
am having bad experiences with TASS now
I can understand this point very well; just for a change try giving it to Carnation; I heard they've opened up in Guindy too.

Well in that case, if you're planning to retain Swift for a longer time, go for the top end variant, you'll not regret; even if its delayed by 1 or 2 months, its worth doing it. One suggestion - just wait for the top end variant of Zxi & see how it performs, if you don't lik the new one then you can always get a used Zxi from the market. So, either you buy the new one & enjoy the ownership for which you compromise upon the cost, or, buy a used Zxi that costs less but you've to compromise on your car hunting time.

Last edited by aargee : 26th March 2010 at 08:36.
aargee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th March 2010, 09:36   #25
BHPian
 
rajushank84's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: California, USA
Posts: 861
Thanked: 350 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by aargee View Post
Well in that case, if you're planning to retain Swift for a longer time, go for the top end variant, you'll not regret; even if its delayed by 1 or 2 months, its worth doing it. One suggestion - just wait for the top end variant of Zxi & see how it performs, if you don't lik the new one then you can always get a used Zxi from the market. So, either you buy the new one & enjoy the ownership for which you compromise upon the cost, or, buy a used Zxi that costs less but you've to compromise on your car hunting time.
You pulled the thought right out of my head . Zxi is exactly what I am toying around in my mind with! Looking if there is a way to extend my budget for the down payment and make it a six-year loan instead of 5-year loan, so that it will give the right balance between EMI and loan term. There are too many good things Zxi has, so it is tempting.

Now the dealer is calling me every day and asking if we can go ahead with the booking. I am holding back because I would like to pre-close my Indica loan, get hypothecation removed and sell it to a buyer directly, instead of going for an exchange. Also another reason for holding back is, I definitely want to do test-drive of the K-series Swift before committing to buy it. The dealer says the TD vehicle has not been allotted yet, and it will take some time. I am fine with that, as it will take time to pre-close Indica loan, hypo removed and find the right buyer too. The only caveat is that I may have to be carless for some time during the waiting period, if I keep the Indica transaction independent of the Swift purchase. But I guess that is worth it.

Anyways, I will visit the showroom tomorrow to get details about finance options, cost of accessories and stuff like that, and perhaps do a TD of the diesel version while I am there .
rajushank84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th March 2010, 15:42   #26
BHPian
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Bangalore( But Nomore gardens)
Posts: 77
Thanked: 7 Times
Default

@rajushank84,

I agree that your resale value will go down further, but not as much as it did
in the first two years. For the first two years the the depreciation is almost 35 to 40%.

If you keep it for next two years also , the resale value difference would not be more than 30,000 INR I guess.

My two cents.
double is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th March 2010, 16:33   #27
BHPian
 
somebodystopme's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Delhi
Posts: 502
Thanked: 15 Times
Default

For 6L you can very well get i20ASTA if am not wrong then why you going with dated swift which will be phased out soon? People go with swift for the D factor nowadays, Coz at 6L i20 is there with much better feature, comfort level, bigger car and the good looks that it has, also its fun to drive and for the price of swift lxi i would ask you to take a look at i10. Dont get fixed with swift.
And if you really want a swift i will suggest you buy a Diesel 800km permonth is decent enough to buy a diesel car. And once you have it I can bet anything on it your running will increase.
Lastly instead of keeping yourself so engrossed with math about emi, depreciation and all. I will suggest you taste the competition at least once by doing a TD, deciding the best car is more important than anything else.
somebodystopme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th March 2010, 19:56   #28
BHPian
 
rajushank84's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: California, USA
Posts: 861
Thanked: 350 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by double View Post
@rajushank84,

I agree that your resale value will go down further, but not as much as it did
in the first two years. For the first two years the the depreciation is almost 35 to 40%.

If you keep it for next two years also , the resale value difference would not be more than 30,000 INR I guess.

My two cents.
Thanks much! It makes sense.

Quote:
Originally Posted by somebodystopme View Post
For 6L you can very well get i20ASTA if am not wrong then why you going with dated swift which will be phased out soon? People go with swift for the D factor nowadays, Coz at 6L i20 is there with much better feature, comfort level, bigger car and the good looks that it has, also its fun to drive and for the price of swift lxi i would ask you to take a look at i10. Dont get fixed with swift.
And if you really want a swift i will suggest you buy a Diesel 800km permonth is decent enough to buy a diesel car. And once you have it I can bet anything on it your running will increase.
Lastly instead of keeping yourself so engrossed with math about emi, depreciation and all. I will suggest you taste the competition at least once by doing a TD, deciding the best car is more important than anything else.
Thanks, you are right I should do a test-drive of i20 and i10. Though I have driven my friend's i10 once in the city (and found it awesome), it cannot be called a test drive. By the way I am a bit apprehensive about i20 because one, its dimensions are too big for comfort in the city, and two, it uses the same engine as i10 which I believe just about keeps up with Swift petrol, so it is underpowered in the i20 chassis. What features are there in i20 Asta that are not there in Swift Zxi?

My fixation with Swift is mainly because of the international accolades it has won especially w.r.t handling and fun factor. But you are right, I should test drive before deciding.
rajushank84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th March 2010, 20:31   #29
Senior - BHPian
 
romeomidhun's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Chennai
Posts: 2,633
Thanked: 1,903 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by somebodystopme View Post
For 6L you can very well get i20ASTA if am not wrong then why you going with dated swift which will be phased out soon? People go with swift for the D factor nowadays, Coz at 6L i20 is there with much better feature, comfort level, bigger car and the good looks that it has, also its fun to drive and for the price of swift lxi i would ask you to take a look at i10. Dont get fixed with swift.
And if you really want a swift i will suggest you buy a Diesel 800km permonth is decent enough to buy a diesel car. And once you have it I can bet anything on it your running will increase.
Lastly instead of keeping yourself so engrossed with math about emi, depreciation and all. I will suggest you taste the competition at least once by doing a TD, deciding the best car is more important than anything else.
Why are you so opposed with Swift? Or opposed with Maruti? You find an i10 better than Swift? And an i20 more fun to drive than Swift? Have you become mad on seeing some one who declared that his "Next car: Swift", and not considering an i10 or i20?

My advice: Mr Rajushan, if you are so fond of Swift, just go for it. Otherwise, even if you end up buying any other car (be it is the toy-ish i10 or 'pull me' engined i20), you will look at any Swift on the road with envy only. Swift is such a kind of car.

Last edited by romeomidhun : 26th March 2010 at 20:32.
romeomidhun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th March 2010, 03:49   #30
BHPian
 
Anandg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 293
Thanked: 15 Times
Default

I Agree hands down with @romeoidhun. Every time you look out of the window of the car that you purchased with your head only and see swift, your heart would force you to stare it like with that oomph/regret factor. Go head and make a right balance between head and heart.
I always believe that car is mostly purchased with heart else who would like getting stuck in traffic for 2 hrs when he can get away with it in his bike in 40min along with other niggles that a car brings with it(necessities apart)?
Anandg is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Finally decided to do up my Lancer. Edit: paint job complete. pramodkumar Modifications & Accessories 139 3rd August 2010 20:35
Which car for someone with an income of Rs 2lacs per month EDIT: Decided on BMW 530D ThE Godfather Luxury, Imports & Niche 145 28th September 2009 07:26
Cayenne GTS or BMW X6? EDIT : Decided on Cayenne! shreyas28 Luxury, Imports & Niche 32 18th August 2009 16:35
remembering Yr 2004: A real "Lets Go" Trip which got decided in few minutes. greatDrive Travelogues 5 31st October 2007 08:37


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 22:44.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks