Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > What Car? > Hatchbacks

Old 10th April 2010, 13:15   #46
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajushank84 View Post
Not sure if anything will kill the Swift, except maybe the Ritz! Many people in my office just book Swift and Ritz without taking a test drive. They just trust Maruti so much. I guess I will never understand their kind of thinking.

I went to Hyundai with the idea of TDing both i10 and i20, but somehow the i20 didn't really appeal to me - in terms of price, looks and dimensions. So just like Punto, I decided not to TD it. I'm certainly not going to stretch my budget for a car that doesn't appeal to my taste
Congratulations. I'm very glad that you chose to try different cars and buy the one you liked the most.

i20 - I'm very surprised that this car didn't appeal to you in the looks and dimensions. I TDed the car (For a friend of mine who eventually booked the Figo) and was absolutely floored by it. I agree that it's got too many curves and lines in the design but it is spacious and the interiors are very well laid out. The price was well, can't say it's overpriced but then couldn't come to terms in spending close to 7L on a hatch
kiku007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th April 2010, 14:10   #47
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshguy View Post
raju have you taken the delivery of the car?

how is it and what colour have you choosen
Unfortunately, no I haven't even booked it . I am every bit as confused as I was when I started off. Heart says just go for the Figo, but head says don't make the same mistake you made when going for the Xeta - Maruti's resale value is unmatched and the DDIS engine's fuel economy is stellar. The below excel sheet which I am working on day-in and day-out (dont tell my wife & dont tell my boss this is what I am working so hard on!) reflects my state of mind:

Which Swift is best for my budget? Edit: Decided on Figo diesel-caranalysis.jpg

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiku007 View Post
Congratulations. I'm very glad that you chose to try different cars and buy the one you liked the most.

i20 - I'm very surprised that this car didn't appeal to you in the looks and dimensions. I TDed the car (For a friend of mine who eventually booked the Figo) and was absolutely floored by it. I agree that it's got too many curves and lines in the design but it is spacious and the interiors are very well laid out. The price was well, can't say it's overpriced but then couldn't come to terms in spending close to 7L on a hatch
Well, I too left out i20 because of the huge price tag. Also, the dimensions especially the width is a big turn-off for me, and somehow the car doesn't really attract me that much. Even i10 attracted me more.

I am back to the thinking phase, trying to reconcile head, heart and wife!

One part of my mind says keep the Xeta for another year, another part wants a fully loaded used Swift Zxi that can be ripped, another wants to get back behind the Ford's wheel, yet another screams Ritz diesel for practicality and economy, wife hates Ritz... and there are more parts within me that somehow remember the Swift diesel's turbo kick and wants to experience that on the highway...

Maybe I should TD the Beat while I am about it, and add further to the confusion.

At least i10 (did TD, didn't like), Punto (did TD, didn't like), Polo (attitude from dealers) and i20 (unattractive) are out of this analysis. Thank goodness for that, or I would be raving mad by now!
rajushank84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th May 2010, 12:47   #48
BHPian

Default Which FORD for me?

Well, after almost two months of starting out with this question, I am still undecided. As usual, need T-bhpians help in deciding!

I will re-state my requirements again: budget around 5.5 lakhs, should be fun to drive, reliable, good quality service, comfortable, economic, fair resale value after 5 years. The road where I live is really bad. Running is 1000kms per month (actually 800, but keeping 200 as a buffer because it will increase in the near future).

Problem is, I am not able to come to grips with all these factors. The Maruti stable (Swift and Ritz which I shortlisted) satisfy all the factors like reliability, service quality, comfy, resale etc ("head" factors). In fact Ritz Zxi after discounts is now 5.3 lakhs OTR which is mouth-watering. But I am not able to convince myself about the Electric Power Steering.

After test driving all the cars I could get my hands on (i10 manual, i10 auto, i20 petrol, Santro, Alto, WagonR, Ritz petrol, Ritz diesel, Swift diesel, Punto petrol, Figo petrol, Figo diesel), I find one thing: Only FORD cars have a steering that feels good! I mean, something about the driver's sitting position, road view, the way the car responds when I move the steering wheel, the way the engine roars... Whenever I am in a FORD, I feel that the car has a different DNA than all the Korean, Jap and Indian cars I have driven.

In fact yesterday I took a second test drive of Swift diesel to convince myself to go for it, because it makes *so much sense* logically. But nope, after the second test drive I am sure I will regret buying it if I do, because of the steering. Am I going overboard about the steering? Somewhere my mind keeps telling me, "if only reliability is important, buy a Honda Unicorn instead or better yet, commute by bus!".

So I am feeling

Ok, considering I make up my mind to live with Ford's A.S.S. Here are my options:
1. New Figo: Only Diesel feels good to drive. Somehow I feel better with a petrol car. But the Figo petrol is very sluggish.

Do diesel cars face more problems going uphill, or have problems starting in moist / wet conditions?

2. Used Ikon petrol: Is this a good option? Will I face any problems as it is not BS4? I guess it will cost me aorund 3.5 to 4 lakhs for a 2-year old car.

3. Used Fiesta petrol: Will probably cost me around Rs.5 lakhs or more, right? Is this a good idea? I need to keep in mind the FE of 9 to 10 kmpl. With Ikon I will be making up for that with less initial outlay (meaning lower EMI) but with used Fiesta, I will be back in my original budget, lower FE AND a second hand car.

Fusion was my dream car sometime back (because of the high seating combined with Fiesta-like styling) but I want to stay away from a discontinued model. Brand new Fiesta is way out of my reach, and the limited edition version is gone.

MODS: Sorry to ask you to keep editing the title again and again, but I thought this is better than creating a new thread. Can you please change it to "Which of these cars is good for me?". Thanks much.
Old 9th May 2010, 13:32   #49
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I will re-state my requirements again: budget around 5.5 lakhs,........ reliable, good quality service, comfortable, economic, fair resale value after 5 years.
The Ritz with the K12M will satisfy all but one of your requirements to the t. As for driving pleasure, it will neither excite you nor disappoint you.
Recently member nsbhagwat got 19kmpl from his green ZXi, most of it ghat driving.
+ Its readily available in most colours with almost all dealers.

PS : Even I was absolutely in the same dilemma, but in the end decided upon the Swift. Might get it next weekend, in Red colour.

Last edited by sajo : 9th May 2010 at 13:34.
sajo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th May 2010, 02:20   #50
BHPian

Quote:
Brand new Fiesta is way out of my reach, and the limited edition version is gone.
Well, I just saw the advertisement for the limited edition Fiesta 2 days back on the Mid-day news paper stating 5.73 Lakhs Ex showroom price (Thane) for Exi Model with couple of added features.

Even I am in the same dilemma from past few months of either buying a new hatch (Confused between Punto & Figo) or the Limited Edition Fiesta or a 2nd hand Civic/Cedia...

Anyways I really liked your calculation on the excel sheet, I have been maintaining one myself and I always look at it when ever I get up in the morning but end up getting confused
1000bhp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th May 2010, 10:53   #51
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1000bhp View Post
Well, I just saw the advertisement for the limited edition Fiesta 2 days back on the Mid-day news paper stating 5.73 Lakhs Ex showroom price (Thane) for Exi Model with couple of added features.

Even I am in the same dilemma from past few months of either buying a new hatch (Confused between Punto & Figo) or the Limited Edition Fiesta or a 2nd hand Civic/Cedia...

Anyways I really liked your calculation on the excel sheet, I have been maintaining one myself and I always look at it when ever I get up in the morning but end up getting confused
Humble but a somewhat strong suggestion: Go and book that limited edition Fiesta right away!!!

It is not available here in Chennai, and I am still contemplating stretching to a 7 year loan and going for it. Reason is, it is the only true drivers car this side of 10 lakhs IMHO. You get a complete Ford experience, a 100 horsepower machine, the one Narain Karthikeyan ranked as no.1 drivers car.

If it was available in Chennai, I would have booked it without any thoughts.

Wish I were in Mumbai
Old 19th May 2010, 20:55   #52
BHPian

Default Update

Update: Finally, finally, after months and months of analysis... Booked the Figo today!

After much analysis, I was running around in circles trying to decide between Figo, Swift and Ritz. My head was screaming RITZ at me as it made sense in literally all the aspects, and one can live with unconventional looks. My heart was screaming F-O-R-D, will have only Ford, none else. Want to get behind that Ford steering wheel again, none else will do! Another "balanced" side of me wanted to go for Swift, which is best of both worlds - fun to drive and reliable at the same time.

Finally, talking to some Fiesta 1.4 Tdci owners personally did it for me. They own the Fiesta for 2 to 3 years, and have faced absolutely no problems with reliability or service. One of them is a maniac of a driver (in terms of distances, not speed) and he has covered 1000-km stretches in stride. Hill stations, hot temperatures, cold temperatures - you name it, he has done it. And he swears by the 1.4 Tdci.

That did it for me. Went for the heart decision. We live only once after all. Went straight to MPL and booked the sea gray. Was told, waiting period of 50 days min. I mentioned that I am ok with black or white too, if it helps in bringing down the waiting period. Actually I wanted black, wifey wanted white and mom wanted sea grey. Wife and I were kinda ok with sea grey too. But any of these colors will do.

But here is the fun twist. The SA called me in the evening and mentioned, there is a black one right now, do I want it. I said HELL YES. They have asked me to come with documents for loan procssing tomorrow itself. I may be getting my Figo sooner than I had thought

WOOHOOOO!
Old 19th May 2010, 21:42   #53
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Update: Finally, finally, after months and months of analysis... Booked the Figo today!

After much analysis, I was running around in circles trying to decide between Figo, Swift and Ritz. My head was screaming RITZ at me as it made sense in literally all the aspects, and one can live with unconventional looks. My heart was screaming F-O-R-D, will have only Ford, none else. Want to get behind that Ford steering wheel again, none else will do! Another "balanced" side of me wanted to go for Swift, which is best of both worlds - fun to drive and reliable at the same time.

Finally, talking to some Fiesta 1.4 Tdci owners personally did it for me. They own the Fiesta for 2 to 3 years, and have faced absolutely no problems with reliability or service. One of them is a maniac of a driver (in terms of distances, not speed) and he has covered 1000-km stretches in stride. Hill stations, hot temperatures, cold temperatures - you name it, he has done it. And he swears by the 1.4 Tdci.

That did it for me. Went for the heart decision. We live only once after all. Went straight to MPL and booked the sea gray. Was told, waiting period of 50 days min. I mentioned that I am ok with black or white too, if it helps in bringing down the waiting period. Actually I wanted black, wifey wanted white and mom wanted sea grey. Wife and I were kinda ok with sea grey too. But any of these colors will do.

But here is the fun twist. The SA called me in the evening and mentioned, there is a black one right now, do I want it. I said HELL YES. They have asked me to come with documents for loan procssing tomorrow itself. I may be getting my Figo sooner than I had thought

WOOHOOOO!

Congratulations & celebrations Great choice, the 1.4 TDCi is a proven engine. Though it may not be as quick as the Swift, it is brilliant & long lasting. Speaking from experience of a friend's Fiesta which had crossed 1,60,000 kms when he finally sold it !! That mileage in 3 years BTW

Hope you get your car of choice soon & enjoy many miles of trouble free running !

Cheers
Ricky_63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th May 2010, 10:19   #54
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Congratulations Rajushank! Sea grey is my second choice in Figo colours after Diamond White (which is just awesome)..! If a white one comes across first, I say grab it!
Which version have you booked ? I hope its the Titanium for its safety features. 50 days waiting seems to be on the higher side though.
sajo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th May 2010, 14:46   #55
BHPian

Thanks ricky & sajo.

I have gone for the Zxi. Titanium is way over my budget. Yes, 50 days seems very long. The sales rep asked me if I am ready to take a black one which someone else cancelled, and I am going for it! Should be able to take delivery by June 1st week.
Old 11th November 2010, 00:58   #56
BHPian

Sorry to bump this thread.
Congrats on your buy.
Did you exchange Xeta or sold it off and for how much?

I also own a Xeta and have an eye(just one eye ) on Figo diesel .Just a thought.
rock18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th November 2010, 04:26   #57
BHPian

Thanks. I exchanged Xeta (meaning, sold it to the used-car dealer who has a tie up with MPL Ford) for 1.6 lakhs.

Figo diesel is a good replacement for the Xeta. You should take a test drive and see.
Old 11th November 2010, 06:55   #58
Senior - BHPian

i think you did a good thing with buying the Figo diesel
it is an excellent VFM car and the quality of fit and finish is much ahead of the Indica in general.
given also now that Ford service has improved by leaps and bounds over the last 6 years, you should have some years of enjoyment ahead of you in this new Figo.
And the 1.4 litre diesel from the Fiesta is an excellent refined engine in comparison to the Indica's various engines. It is quite a little monster - have fun! drive safe!
shankar.balan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th November 2010, 17:40   #59
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks. I exchanged Xeta (meaning, sold it to the used-car dealer who has a tie up with MPL Ford) for 1.6 lakhs.

Figo diesel is a good replacement for the Xeta. You should take a test drive and see.
Thanks.i also got a similar quote for my xeta from chennai ford.I already did a test drive and quite impressed.
I have gone through your ownership review of xeta.
Initially you have written that car was a breeze to drive in city traffic but later you found it quite cumbersome to drive in city traffic.
If you don't mind,may i know the reason?
Is it something to do with the mechanicals of the car or the TASS??
rock18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th November 2010, 22:59   #60
SAS
BHPian

Quote:
If what I read in the magazines is correct, Ford is trying hard to shake off the "hard to maintain" image, so they will (hopefully) go extra miles with their service, at least for a year or two.

Anyway, after driving Figo I get the thought that this car is worth taking a risk and giving Ford a chance. It is kinda like using an iPhone after using so many Nokias and Sony Ericssons, and there is no looking back after that. Yes, Nokias are probably most reliable, durable and every street-corner cellphone shop can repair them. But there has to be a "fun" factor, a "quality" factor to the phone/car, there is the "WOW" user experience, so after tasting that user experience, there is no looking back.
I just loved this post, spoken from the heart.. Couldn't agree more on the "wow" experience thing. In fact I too am sort of sold on the new Fabia, only thing stopping me buying it is Skoda's bad reputation of after sales service.
SAS is offline   Reply With Quote