Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > What Car? > Hatchbacks

Old 5th May 2010, 02:47   #46
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitrogary View Post

if you want, you can get in touch with me. i ll share some more experience when we went to buy the figo.

sarang
Why not share it with all of us.
I am seeing Figo attracting many people and I can't deny from being one :-)
ghpk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th May 2010, 06:49   #47
BHPian

Hi
Though the distance you travel does not merit having a diesel vehicle for saving on fuel i still feel Figo has got a edge over Swift. My reasons are - New vehicle, fresh design, good quality built, easy for driving inside the city against the old boring look of swift. That aside if the after sales service is good then you should test drive and decide. Resale value after 5 years does not matter.
drrajasaravanan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th May 2010, 17:25   #48
Senior - BHPian

Maruti's helpline service (atleast on the e-mail side), sounds quite mechanical and I suspect if it sometimes is totally automated.
Everyday I get an email saying "We regret the inconvenience caused. Appreciate your patience" or something to that effect.
Any tips/pointers on how to get to someone who can actually look into the issue and send an informed reply?

I will wait till the end of this month before starting the search for a used car in earnest.

Last edited by sajo : 5th May 2010 at 17:29.
sajo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th May 2010, 15:33   #49
Senior - BHPian

Just got a call from Chowgule Motors. If I am willing to compromise on the colour (from Sunlight Copper or White) to Red, I will get a vehicle next week for sure.
I am really tempted to take up that offer now, will decide by evening.
Old 7th May 2010, 16:06   #50
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by drrajasaravanan View Post
Hi
New vehicle, fresh design, good quality built, easy for driving inside the city against the old boring look of swift. That aside if the after sales service is good then you should test drive and decide. Resale value after 5 years does not matter.
Well, even the Swift is re-engineered recently. Other than the fresh looks and space department, I cannot see why a Figo is better than Swift -

Mileage - Swift will be better
Power and pick-up - Swift will be better
Looks - Figo is better
After Sales Service - Swift is way ahead
Resale Value after 5 years - Swift will be better because of Brand image
Drivability - Swift will be better on any day because of so many extra horses in your hand

I think the main point of contention really has to be the pricing aspect - at the price of a ZXI, where you are getting into Indigo Manza Territory, you should seriously think whether it is worth so much.

First thing first, you don't need a diesel car at that usage. So, I suggest you to plainly drop those ideas. Talking of petrol vehicles, Swift ZXI is high end hatchback and even priced like that. Petrol Figo has all the features but lacks on many counts. It is rather unfair to compare the Figo with Swift ZXI - IMO, Figo should be compared with a car in the same price range - the new estillo or the blue eyed boy are proper comparisons to Figo - This again is my opinion.

Looking at your requirements, ZXI seems to be the way to go - It really feels nice to drive.

Last edited by bbkp : 7th May 2010 at 16:08.
bbkp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th May 2010, 17:15   #51
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbkp View Post
It is rather unfair to compare the Figo with Swift ZXI - IMO, Figo should be compared with a car in the same price range -
Yep, Thats what I was doing, Figo diesel Titanium is in the same price range as the Swift ZXi.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbkp View Post
Looking at your requirements, ZXI seems to be the way to go - It really feels nice to drive.
Even I came to the same conclusions. Anyway, I might get my Red Swift ZXi next week.
Old 7th May 2010, 17:24   #52
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sajo View Post
Yep, Thats what I was doing, Figo diesel Titanium is in the same price range as the Swift ZXi.

Even I came to the same conclusions. Anyway, I might get my Red Swift ZXi next week.
Congrats man - Swift looks best in either Red or Silver. Great decision and happy motoring.

Well - one is a diesel car and the other is a petrol - that has a lot of difference in itself - Petrol is almost always smoother than a diesel car - Though the difference is getting negligible by the day. Swift is surely not going to disappoint you.

Cheers
bbkp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th May 2010, 22:04   #53
BHPian

Good choice to go with Swift ZXI. Personally White Swift rules for me.
BheemBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th May 2010, 10:47   #54
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BheemBoy View Post
Personally White Swift rules for me.
I agree. I really loved it in white or sunlight copper, however, that would have meant a wait of few more days for me. So went ahead with the Red which the dealer had ordered for another customer but he had gone ahead and canceled his booking (or so I was told).
Another agonising 2 days of wait!

I am getting very little discount on it though. And I find the price of the mudflaps and mats to be a little on the higher side.

Mudflaps - ~250 (ideally, should have been free).
Mats - ~1100 (this needs to be free too!).

Looking out for options on sun film (dealer said 12k for V-kool front windscreen , I think it was V-70 or something + 6 k for the windows.). Also PU/PVC "Art Leather" options.
Old 21st May 2010, 01:27   #55
BHPian

guys in http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...fight-out.html (Ford Figo Titanium vs Maruti Swift Zxi-Petrol's Fight it out!!) i've done a comparitive study between figo n swift.
please add your inputs and lets see how benefits us.i'm still deciding on whether its the figo or the swift.
manjith_pm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th December 2010, 01:40   #56
BHPian

Default Re: Figo TDCi Titanium or Swift ZXi ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by manjith_pm View Post
guys in http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...fight-out.html (Ford Figo Titanium vs Maruti Swift Zxi-Petrol's Fight it out!!) i've done a comparitive study between figo n swift.
please add your inputs and lets see how benefits us.i'm still deciding on whether its the figo or the swift.
It says that the thread is invalid!? please recheck the link, thanks
theoriginal9321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd January 2011, 22:25   #57
Senior - BHPian

Well, I eventually bought the Swift ZXi (ownership thread : http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-d...km-update.html) , however, that doesnt settle this debate between these two cars.
If I needed to travel on bad/imperfect roads, I would have chosen the Figo without second thought.
Old 2nd January 2011, 23:00   #58
BHPian

^^ Congrats on your new ride sajo! I am in a similar dilemma but shifting towards figo tdci and want to look at you ownership of swift eagerly, but the link is not working, says invalid thread!
Also, does swift show info like DTE, etc?
Thanks
theoriginal9321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd January 2011, 23:04   #59
Senior - BHPian

theoriginal, Nope, no DTE etc on the Swift.
Invalid link ? Ohh well, you can just find it on the TD & Initial Ownerships section, as I updated it today.
Old 19th January 2012, 16:46   #60
Senior - BHPian

Default Diesel Hatch - Ford Figo or Maruti Swift

My Esteem is getting long on tooth. After 12 years of ownership, I think it is time to retire it. Currently the Esteem is supplemented by Alto K10 bought in Aug'10.

Why another vehicle?

My K10 is good enough for daily personal use, but a bit tight when four of us are traveling, while Esteem is getting old and requires constant attention. Though I mostly use the K10 for short trips (just clocked 5000 km in 17 months), I need a bigger car when four of us move around, especially for highway drives. I will retain the K10 for pottering around and local market trips.

I have rarely used the dicky in the Esteem, so I really have no need for a car with it. Even for outstation trips, we travel light. In my experience for carrying bulky stuff the space in an 800 or Alto with rear seat folded is much more than in most sedans, and when you add the wide opening of the hatch it is unmatched. So a hatch is preferred due to its compact dimensions. Earlier I had thought of getting a sedan - City or Rapid, but find no justification for it.

The reason why I want to try a diesel, is for the low end torque, a boon if you are moving in heavy slow moving traffic. There is also the advantage of better FE. I have not considered Skoda, VW & Hyundai primarily due to high long term (post warranty) maintenance expense. After considering various options I have homed on to two hatches

Maruti Swift Diesel Zdi
plus
- MUL product, hence no surprises
- Decent Engine
- Lower weight
- Wider Tyres
- Reasonable maintenance costs and A.S.S. available practically every where in India
minus
- Low end torque not all that great
- Turbo lag at low speeds
- Massive waiting period

Ford Figo 1.4 titanium
plus
- Reported better low end torque
- Currently maintenance cost at par with MUL
- Not as common as the Swift
- Price is one lac less
- Available ex-stock
minus
- Reported to rattle more than the MUL products
- Peak engine power less than Swift 69 vs 75
- Peak torque less than Swift 160 vs 190

So there it is. To buy or not to buy the Figo.

Basic Requirements
- Reasonable highway speed - I normally desist from driving beyond 120
- Good FE in B2B traffic
- ABS & Airbags
- Tachometer

I have retained most of my cars for ten years, so resale is not that important, but long term maintenance costs are.

I would appreciate ownership experience and maintenance costs, as well as quirks and niggles faced by owners of the two hatches.
Aroy is offline   Reply With Quote