Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > What Car? > Hatchbacks

Old 9th September 2012, 03:26   #91
BHPian

Default Re: Figo TDCi Titanium or Swift ZXi ?

Note from the Team-BHP Support Staff: Post deleted. You can reply again if you can control your mockery and sarcastic tone. Remember, we follow certain code of conduct here. Take this note as a warning.

Last edited by Rudra Sen : 9th September 2012 at 09:18.
chetanhanda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th September 2012, 08:53   #92
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by chetanhanda View Post
Dyno numbers - I have been around enough dynos to know that quoted factory numbers are really not that accurate - so Im pretty much sure this is not an exception.. for this Indian ford.
And waht makes you think that Ford with its 2 valve SOHC is only 6 bhp less than a swift ? why not even less ?
Ford manipulated nos and MUL didn't? Had MUL & other companies been so convinced, they would already filed a petition against Ford India.

If you lived enough with dynos, why don't you put a dyno chart to convince us if you yourself are so convinced about Ford manipulating with its bhp/torque figures? An easy task for you, isn't it?

Quote:
If u know basics of hydraulic power steerings you wouldn't be asking this question so sarcastically .. so here is the gyaan - the hydraulic power steering is driven of a belt from the engine consuming some power from the crank directly. The oil pressure created by the power steering pump which provies ur assist is directly driven by engine also...minor overhead but definately something to sap some bhp from an engine.
And I said 2 bhp as a best guess - usually its 1-3 bhp..why would it be 1 or why 3 ? why not 2 as an approximate guees ??
The power made at crank is different than supplied (at the wheel) There are other aspects I believe which sap power as well. You never put this as somewhere around 2bhp. You put the figure at 2bhp. Hence...

Get that chart before other discussion continues.

Last edited by Rudra Sen : 9th September 2012 at 09:19. Reason: Taken care of
Sheel is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 9th September 2012, 08:54   #93
Mik
BHPian

@chetanhanda: Just one question. Have you driven the Figo TDCI over say, atleast a distance which included bumper to bumper traffic, long straights, twisties and rough roads?
By the way, there are many here who would swear by the superb weighted feel of the HPS over EPS and the sheer "feel" of the car rather than just numbers. Its a heart and mind thing, not "burying ones head in the sand".

Last edited by Mik : 9th September 2012 at 08:59.
Mik is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 9th September 2012, 21:48   #94
BHPian

Quote:
I think u didnt read my post correctly - I said I couldn't find any specs or details on the Ford site mentioning it had turbo with an intercooler.
So, I suppose that all your comments about the Figo TDCi is based on the information from the manufacturer's website. I really don't think that you have ever driven a Figo TDCi in the first place. So please, as I suggested earlier, drive both cars in traffic and then comment about the characteristics.
Quote:
I understand all the stuff about powerband and torque curves but dont understand how a heavier car with less torque and a totally "non sporty" sohc 2 valve is called more fun to drive in the same sentence.
I have driven the swift in mix of highway and traffic conditions ..it didnt feel as If I was feeling a turbo lag... I think saying power arrving at 2000 rpm cannot be called a tubo lag...if power can at 4000-5000 then it would be fair to say it has lag...
Tell me - when did u shift to 2nd gear ? what speed and what rpm ?
Please search through the internet or printed media or forums. You can find umpteen number of examples where a less powered, heavier and so called inferior technology cars smoke their higher powered, high-tech counterparts. All depends on the situation where they are used/tested. There is more to a car than figures on the paper.
And please try to convince all the automotive gurus in the country/world about the new definition of turbo-lag. Let's see what they have to tell about "what is turbo-lag".
Anyway, I do not want to debate on this issue anymore as it's going off-topic.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheel View Post
If you lived enough with dynos, why don't you put a dyno chart to convince us if you yourself are so convinced about Ford manipulating with its bhp/torque figures? An easy task for you, isn't it?
Yes, we are waiting for the information. As a member of the community, I would like to re-iterate that we are not in a tug of war. We are interested in learning and nobody is a complete expert over here. Everybody learns something from others.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mik View Post
@chetanhanda: Just one question. Have you driven the Figo TDCI over say, atleast a distance which included bumper to bumper traffic, long straights, twisties and rough roads?
Yes, please drive the car and then give us the inputs. Don't go by the numbers in paper. Even I was apprehensive about the performance of the Figo before driving it myself.
A350XWB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th September 2012, 21:18   #95
Senior - BHPian

What you normally get from the company is the peak torque, rarely a chart of torque vs RPM.

Normally older engines have a lower upper RPM and a lower peak torque, but may have more torque at lower speeds compared to the high revving engines. So it boils down to the fact that an older design engine will give better drivability in city traffic as it has the torque where it matters. On the highway, it is exactly opposite.

Regarding power and torque figures
. The figures are normally at the engine drive shaft in a Laboratory
. There is power loss in the Gear Box
. There is power loss in the transmission
. There is power loss in the wheels

The quantum of loss may be as high as 20%+ in some cases.
Aroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th September 2012, 16:35   #96
BHPian

IMO the Swift is better when it comes to sheer acceleration, however, the Figo beats it hands down when it comes to high speed stability.
I personally own 2 petrol Figos and have driven the Swift multiple times on the NH8, I find the Swift unstable post 110kph. My Figo Titanium on the other hand is extremely stable even at 145kph!
No offense to Swift owners as I still believe it's a great car! I would have definitely bought the Swift had the price to features ratio been equal to the Figo!
nishantbhatia84 is offline   Reply With Quote