Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > What Car? > Hatchbacks

Old 26th June 2010, 13:53   #76
anb
BHPian

I think yoy should wait for the new swift. Also consider Ritz petrol.
anb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th June 2010, 14:23   #77
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharma25 View Post
Hi All,

2. The car will be with me for 2-3 years and then I will go for a sedan and parents will use this car. --> That rules out Beat
3. I would like the car to be more towards a drivers car (good handling and road behaviour). For example, I keep within speed limits but love to accelerate upto the limits and handle curves and round-abouts at good speeds. --> i20 is out
4. Mom always wanted a sedan and I and dad are kind of forcing her into a hatch at this stage (original plan for NHC was coz of mom and her desire for sedan ) so the car should at least be spacious and comfortable even if it is not a sedan. --> Swift is out
5. Fuel efficiency will be good to have but this is one thing I can compromise on (say 1-2 kmpl less) but if i do compromise on this would love to at least get an engine that is powerful and offers fun driving. --> Figo is out
Quote:
7. I usually like to go for value for money deals. I can spend more money, that is never a constraint but i should get requisite value for it.
8. I am not very fussy about looks, they generally grow over you. Truly, ANHC and Civic are the only cars that I truly like design wise, but then they arent even an option right now :P
Go ahead and book the Polo 1.6 at 6L ex-showroom, due to be launched in August. That is the closest to what you've described.

If not the best compromise is either Swift LXi or Figo Exi.
Daewood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th June 2010, 16:21   #78

@All.. thank you so so much for your thoughts...

For Micra and New Swift.. dont want to wait much. If i dont get decided in a week or so, i might just wait

For Polo, it is definitely out, the Fabia motor that it has doesnt cut it for its price, plus the base variant is in just 2 colors and higher variant is very pricey :(
For Punto, I havent heard anyone like anything except the looks, so I am not sure.
But yes, if any owner has different views please let me know, would be very useful
Ritz and Beat have been vetoed by mom coz she doesnt like the looks at all, so they are not being considered now

So i test drove the Figo and Swift and had a look at i20 in the showroom, hopefully i20 test drive would happen tomorrow.
Some of the things i did while driving were:
1. Try to make some turns at speeds of 40-60kmph
2. Try to accelerate from 20kmph to 60kmph in 2nd gear, 3rd gear and 4th gear

Here are my impressions:

--Swift--

Engine- Needless to say a very happy revving and spirited engine. Very eager to perform. Compares to Figo far better when trying to pull up from low speeds (20kmph) in higher gears (3rd and 4th)

Handling- Pretty impressive, but somehow i felt Figo was better here

Visibility- The road visibility while driving is good but pales in comparison to Figo

Interior space- Again needless to say, quite dated and front is still reasonable, rear is not very specious

Interior quality- Not at all upmarket, actually quite disappointing

Comfort and ride- I would say average, the bumps and rough patches are taken well, it is not very stiff nor is it plush

Boot space- average

Variants- Maruti is literally looting people with Vxi variant. You pay 50k extra for power windows, fog lamps, head rest and wheel covers, you still dont get a music system or cental locking. So if you buy a Lxi, you can spend 12k on power windows, 15k on music system (which will be the one that is put in Zxi) and 5k on central locking. Even if i put in 5k for wheel covers and lamps, Vxi is over priced by 20-25k :O

Looks- Looks dated, and mom hates it

Delivery time- This is killer, for Lxi waiting is 3 months, else shell out 50k uselessly (30k of which are wasted and down the drain) and take Vxi in 1 month

--Figo--

Engine- Not a very spirited motor. The engine ran out of breath when i put it in 3rd gear at 20kmph and tried to pull off. For Figo I had opportunity to climb up a flyover. The engine of course ran out of breath (4 seated+AC) when put in 3rd at 20kmph. Even in 2nd at 2kmph it wasnt as good as Swift, though I couldnt take Swift on a flyover.
One thing i loved about Figo's engine was the sound it made while revving, true sports car style. In fact i loved down shifting and revving so the non spiritedness didnt bother me much.

Fuel Efficiency- The dealer said that after 3rd service the car should give 14kmpl in city. The test figures are 16. I think in worst case it will give 12 compared to 14 of the competition.

Handling- My goodness, what a handler, though i could test it less than Swift on this front but I felt this was better than swift.

Visibility- Better than Swift.

Interior space- We had a Fiesta in showroom to compare with and frankly sometimes it felt as if Figo had more spacious interiors than Fiesta :P The legroom is awesome, even the rear seats are great

Interior quality- Looked good, the door design, the dash, the quality and build all were better than Swift. But still not as good as i20

Comfort and ride- The car is very comfortable, better than Swift for sure. It is firm, not stiff, but takes the bumps very well. I quite liked it, it wasnt mushy mushy but ever after firmness it was comfortable and absorbing the shocks

Boot space- What can i say, you can store all you can think of

Variants- Keeping in with the VFM this car offers, the variants really offer value for extra money you pay. For 30k extra over the base variant Exi gives you front power windows, music system, rear parcel tray, remore boot open, wheel covers, fabric inserts in doors, central locking, engine immobilizer

Looks- Smart looks, not killer but i think they grow over you

Delivery- Said can be had in 12-15 days

--i20--

I havent test driven so putting only initial impressions

Interiors- This car truly has interiors that can truly give you an impression that you are in a big car. Very nice interiors, well designed, beige tones, the car is spacious and really impresses you. Best looking of the three.

Looks- Very good looking, looks big and smart. Best looking of the three.

Quite frankly the looks, interir design and interior quality and space have enough pull to sway the decision in i20's favor

Variants- The Magna that is 40k more than bas just has a music system really (else small small features that i really dont care much about. The bas version Era has speakers fitted so one just needs to put in a music system worth 6k and a parcel tray. Else has front power windows and looks are same. Seat covers one anyways has to buy so doesnt make much difference as to what upholstry is like.

Deliver time- Again like Maruti, the base version that makes sense to buy has 3 months waiting time, the Magna has 1 month waiting. So again same story, shell out money uselessly if u want car early.

IMP: @i20 owners and sree70 ... although i did not drive it, but in the showroom itself i felt that i20 had a very long clutch travel. I had to literally lift my foot off the floor and push 8-9 inches :O
I felt that this can be a pain in the stop go traffic during peak hours in delhi. Swift and Figo had very comfortable to operate short travel clutches.

So it looks like Swift is losing out in the battle, even with a spirited engine and great handling, the interiors, comfort and space just dont cut it anymore :(
Figo is still in contention, i20 has stolen mom's heart, for same features as Figo Exi, i20 Era+music system will cost 75-85k more. Will test drive it tomorrow.
Really dont know whether all the oomph that i20 has is worth 80k more than Figo...
sharma25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th June 2010, 18:48   #79
Distinguished - BHPian

Nice comparo, looks like you are smitten by the Figo

Quote:
Maruti is literally looting people with Vxi variant. You pay 50k extra for power windows, fog lamps, head rest and wheel covers, you still dont get a music system or cental locking.
VXi comes with central locking, it also sports a tacho Meter.
Technocrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th June 2010, 19:27   #80
BHPian

I would suggest you test-drive three cars which are great drivers' cars (in this order):
  1. Figo Diesel. Sheer driving pleasure. Slight compromise is the engine's highway performance (only in comparison with Swift diesel).
  2. Swift Diesel. Again, good driving pleasure. Slight compromise is the electric power steering. Drive this and Figo back to back, you will get what I mean.
  3. Swift Petrol. Best petrol engine out there. Slight compromise is the electric power steering. Drive this and Figo back to back, you will get what I mean.

Just test-drive these three, see which one makes your heart fall in love, and go for it . Thats my suggestion.

Irrespective of your irregular monthly running, I suggest keep yourself open to diesels, for two reasons. One, turbo diesels give more driving pleasure than petrols. Two, petrol has been deregularised, so it wont be surprising if it touches Rs.70 or so by early next year. If you stay in the diesel bandwagon, you will be on the same side as public transport, so diesel price going up should be slower IMHO.

And one more thing:
Quote:
Maybe buying a diesel Figo instead of petrol i20 would make sense. But with my 10k per year driving it would take 3-5 years to recover the cost :(
Not really. Because, when you sell your diesel car it would fetch around 50% of the price difference that you initially put up compared to petrol. With 10k running per year, that 50% should be recovered in a couple of years, probably earlier if petrol prices shoot up.

Say petrol car costs 1 lakh more than diesel car. When you sell the diesel car after 5 years, it will fetch some 50k more than if you were selling the petrol version. Thats half the cost recovered. Right now, diesel cost per km is Rs.2 less than petrol cost per km. So, you only have to run 25k kms, to recover the rest. Thats around 2 years. Whatever you save when running for the other 3 years is bonus. Plus, your running might increase, plus petrol costs could shoot up, plus you get the thrill of driving a turbo diesel.

Consider.

Last edited by rajushank84 : 26th June 2010 at 19:36.
rajushank84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th June 2010, 19:46   #81
BHPian

If driving is the main criterion,Swift wins by a long shot.Was a proud owner for 3 years

For VFM,practicality,handling,space,interior quality,FIGO all the way

Not sure about A.S.S or FE though.You can expect a max of 11kmpl in the city with A/C on for the petrol for spirited driving.

A month back,my father in law wanted to buy a hatch around 4.3L OTR and keeping in mind their requirements,had test driven i10,santro,wagon R,beat,figo and chose the FIGO.I guess Swift is quite costlier and as you have mentioned,music system only in Zxi.
joy_swift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th June 2010, 19:50   #82
BHPian

I would suggest Ford Figo diesel for Space,suspension,interiors,fuel economy,value for money and refinement.Diesel would fetch you better resale value and offer better driving pleasure and economy(compared to the petrol version).It is actually good looking too.

Last edited by freewheelburnin : 26th June 2010 at 19:51.
freewheelburnin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th June 2010, 09:35   #83
BHPian

Quote:
For Punto, I havent heard anyone like anything except the looks, so I am not sure.
But yes, if any owner has different views please let me know, would be very useful .
Sharma, I would recommend either a Punto/Swift/Figo, the Punto is a much better car from all the competitors they have in that category, do not worry about the ***..the reason I say this is just go through the loads of threads here on Team BHP for reasons they have not bought anyother car other than the Punto. It should get you to TD the car & from there it's your call..
Wish you luck in your selection
crn12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th June 2010, 22:53   #84

Thanks all, once again.

I reconsidered Polo and Punto. But somehow couldnt convince myself about the whole proposition when consider the price, A**. Polo engine isnt very good for its price and the space isnt great. The base version is very basic and higher versions are pricey :( Punto, again the car is good in ride and handling but the 1.2 engine isnt a charmer and with some threads stating problems with quality of plastics and even metal parts combined with Tata service, it just cudnt inspire confidence.

So it is down to Figo vs i20.

I took the i20 TD today, was already aware of the drawbacks of the car:

1. Slightly underpowered engine
2. Average handling
3. Poor AC performance

While driving I put it to same tests that i put Figo on, 20-60kmph in 2nd 3rd and 4th gears, both on plains and up a flyover. There wasnt a whole lot to differentiate in 3rd and 4th gears. The i20 gave up just as Figo 1.2 had. But downshift and rev hard and the car performs. The comfort was good. The handling was good, not as good as Figo but yes nothing to be concerned about. The suspension bottoms out in the front. But to be true i knew about this and put the car to extreme test for this :P hadnt done the same for Figo. The car is not bad at handling and ride, just isnt as good as Figo. The steering is light, so doesnt inspire a lot of confidence like Figo but is a boon at lower speeds and would be good for heavy traffic maneuverability.
The car is unmatched when it comes to interior design and feel. Very luxurious and truly reaches nearest to a big car feel. On looks front, inside and outside it beat Figo, at least in my opinion.
The AC vent air was cool but the blower was dud, specially compared to Figo which had a blower that could run a windmill

Now here is where I stand and the points of confusion:

1. I would be paying 70k more for i20 Era over Figo Exi and would need to add aftermarket stereo for 7-8k. Figo would have company fitted. The i20 has lot of extra tid bits in terms of features.

2. The interiors are definitely far better than Figo and truly reach neat to a good sedan. Figo is good inside, in terms of space there isn’t much to compare but the looks fit and finish of Figo are lower than i20.

3. Figo is smart from the outside and has its own looks but for me i20 beats it. Looks bigger and looks smarter. Although the color choice (range) in i20 is pathetic. I think white is what one will settle for. There are too many silver cars of all brands all around. haven’t ever seen a Silky Beige i20, that might be good.

4. The AC of i20 looks like a BIG concern. The thread on team-bhp has some owners crying and one guy bought a 700km driven i20 from an owner who sold it just coz of AC. I inquired about it from one i20 Magna owner I know. He also has a santro and Accent. He seemed satisfied with AC and said it was good. Said FE is around 11-12.
But yes AC could be a cause of concern. The newer model has vents at rear too, has that solved the AC problem?

So overall I am tilting more towards i20 now, coz of its looks both inside and outside.
On engine front, both power wise and FE wise there isn’t a whole lot to choose. maybe i20 is a tad better than Figo.
On ride quality and comfort both are at par.
On handling Figo wins, but i20 isnt a pure dud, for city driving it manages well.
On AC Figo wins hands down. Would be helpful to know from i20 owners having rear vents as to what they feel about i20 AC. The TD car today did not have rear vents, it was older one :(

So balance is tilting towards i20 but I keep getting doubts and think about Figo 1.2
Another thought is to buy Figo diesel at 30k premium over i20 1.2 Era. But then at 5.3L for Figo Diesel it looks a bit too much coz Figo isn’t that premium looking and diesel really isn’t what I requite with less than 10k running per annum…

Ant thoughts/opinions that can reduce or even add to (:P) confusion are highly welcome

Thanks a lot

Last edited by Eddy : 27th June 2010 at 23:52.
Old 28th June 2010, 01:10   #85
BHPian

Ok mate, I've decided to add to your confusion.

The Punto 1.2 isn't as underpowered as it's made out to be, and it's not very different from Figo 1.2 at all in terms of performance, but returns slightly better FE than Figo 1.2, as per my research on what Figo 1.2 owners are getting and what I'm getting with my Punto 1.2. I think you should go have a TD just for the heck of it. The plastics are a lot different in 2010 models, they do not look bad in most of the areas, do have a look at new cars if you could find some in the showroom.

I had the same confusion of choosing a hatch a month back, after eliminating all the available cars, my top 3 list turned out to be Figo, Punto and i20. I choose Punto because it ticks maximum boxes for me, but one thing is sure, you can't go wrong with either of these cars.

Punto for ride, handling, steering, looks, build quality, more looks. Against A.S.S., plastic quality (much improved in 2010)

Figo for VFM, space, handling, ride, AC. Against A.S.S, lack of bumper, FE, GC.

i20 for space, looks, features, FE, snob value, A.S.S. Against ride, handling, steering, AC.

This was the conclusion I came to after my TDs and extensive research. Look at the parameters and see what's most important to you and what are you willing to compromise on. Hope it helps you in making your decision.
arun687 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 1st July 2010, 12:17   #86
BHPian

Default New Developments

Hi

Sorry for the absence as I had to go through few developments at job. I got promoted in my job and now have been offered a company car facility. Though this is not exactly free car, the company car policy looks attractive.

Before that a gentle request to fellow bhpian, Sharma25- Since your requirements were vastly different from mine, you could have made a different post. I don't know what's the best way. MODs, please suggest.

Coming back to the salient features of the car policy,

1. Maximum on road price for the car should be 10 lakhs including registration, tax, accessories. But without insurance. From second year onwards, Insurance would be paid by the company.

2. For each lakh, Rs. 2350 per month would be deducted from my salary. For a 10 lakh loan, I would be paying Rs. 282,000 per annum and over a period of 5 years. Total outgo in 5 years is 14 lakhs. Does this sound good?

3. After 5 years, the car would be transferred to me at zero cost. Every year 20% depreciation is calculated and if I wish to move on to other job, I have to purchase the car at the depreciated cost. For example, After one year, I have to buy the car at 80% of the car value. If I keep the car for 5 years, I would get the car free in my name which would be still be sold at 50% of the original value.

4. Apart from this, company pays up to R. 150,000 per annum for fuel, driver and maintenance of the car against bills.

5. With the above new development, I am tempted to expand my search for a car from Executive Hatch to Executive Hatch/Sedan. What cars do come to your mind in 10 lakh space? Fiat Linea, Honda City? Or should I stick with a Hatch as this is my first car.

Sorry for adding a new dimension to the already. It's a good pain to have.
gkoneti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st July 2010, 13:48   #87
BHPian

Ten Lakhs? All New Honda City.
rajushank84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st July 2010, 21:46   #88

thanks arun
@gkoneti.. I did have a separate thread and had deliberately not posted on your thread because I felt our requirements were different.
Going by my experience at other forums, it is usually a good practice to keep threads to minimum. And so was careful when I started my own thread.
But I believe mods felt otherwise and hence merged the two threads
Old 1st July 2010, 22:44   #89
BHPian

Hmmm, predicaments, eh? I believe for people like you, they have a sedan in market, A.K.A Accent "Executive". See, it even has the word "executive" written on it, crying out loud about the stuffs it can "execute"
sbanerjee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd July 2010, 08:10   #90
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbanerjee View Post
Hmmm, predicaments, eh? I believe for people like you, they have a sedan in market, A.K.A Accent "Executive". See, it even has the word "executive" written on it, crying out loud about the stuffs it can "execute"
That's a good one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gkoneti View Post
Hi
5. With the above new development, I am tempted to expand my search for a car from Executive Hatch to Executive Hatch/Sedan. What cars do come to your mind in 10 lakh space? Fiat Linea, Honda City? Or should I stick with a Hatch as this is my first car.
Sorry for adding a new dimension to the already. It's a good pain to have.
@gkoneti, Go for a sedan if you intend to do a lot of intercity / interstate drives where you need the added convenience of a large boot. If not, then the Polo or the i20 would suit you just fine.
autoenthusiast is offline   Reply With Quote