Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > What Car? > Hatchbacks

Closed Thread

Old 5th May 2010, 16:18   #16
BHPian

Dude - welcome to the DDiS club ;-) At that usage - its a no-brainer!

My daily usage is only 20km, but I still went for Diesel. Mileage is around 16.5 for the lifetime of the vehicle (approx 9k). My daily commute is about half in 3rd gear and half in 1st/2nd. Avg mileage was around 19.5 on a trip to Ooty I took recently in spite of the slow movement in the ghat sections.

Engine noise, vibrations etc are a thing of the past. This engine is very refined and very well-behaved. In about a year, I have not had any problems (apart from the well-known rattles).

BUT, when I decided about an year back Swift petrol was still running on the Esteem Engine that had relatively poor mileage compared to the KB12 engine on the current Swift. I did test drive the petrol Ritz once and found it to be very peppy. It was a no-brainer for me, but for you - I can understand - Swift petrol is quite a good option today.

This, I believe, is also partly the reason why we see so many Diesel Swift's on the road and I strongly believe that it will change over the next year/2.

My 2c.
Old 5th May 2010, 17:55   #17
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fine69 View Post
isn't petrol swift going to deliver at least 14-15 kmpl with its new k series engine which claims improved FE?
and are you considering premium version for both petrol and diesel?
I don't think it would in city driving conditions. You can get a max of 13 - I am talking about driving in Mumbai.

And my calculations are based on normal fuel - not the premium variety - It doesn't matter because the rates would increase proportionately. Secondly, the calculations are just for approximation sake. When the end result is coming to 33K, consider that you will make a minimum savings of 30K and max of 35K.

The ARAI mileage of 17 on Swift petrol is a mix of city and highway usage - In practice, you get about 13 or 14 in city and about 18 on the highway. I have calculated the mileage based on city usage.

The ARAI mileage for Swift diesel is as high as 21kmpl - Which makes it around 18 or 19 in city and about 23 or 24 kmpl on highway.

Cheers

Last edited by bbkp : 5th May 2010 at 18:05.
Old 5th May 2010, 21:21   #18
BHPian

I own a Swift Diesel VDi and it has done 27XXX kms. With you budget you could look at the LDi option.
You dont have to worry about the Vibrations, diesels are for commercial vehicles, expensive to maintain and the list goes on.
I have owned it to nearly 2 years now and I can say with authority the following:
1. Almost no vibrations will be felt. Your friends will be surpirsed when you say they being driven in a Diesel car!
2. Maintenance is the same as Petrol, or rather not expensive for a hatch.
3. I get 18 kmpl in Chennai city traffic and 20 to 21 Kmpl in highways.

Book the LDi and thanks us later.
Old 5th May 2010, 21:38   #19
Senior - BHPian

Good News! My Dad is ok if I buy Vdi however now I'm thinking if spending this extra 36k would be worth it. I mean primarily all I'm getting is power windows, left side mirror and fog lamps so it is really worth spending the extra amount. Should I instead stick with Ldi or still go with Vdi.

More importantly, while searching within the forums I came across a little too many rattling issues being reported in swift diesel, is this something that I'm bound to encounter and is it only restricted to diesel model and not petrol?

I'd also share something about myself so you can also help me in narrowding down the things I'd most likely not need or may never use in a car.

I'm 24 and work for 5.25 days a week so out of the 7 days in a week it'd only be used for going to work and coming back home. I'm married and the car would 99% of the times seat only myself and my wife, I mean rarely would it seat 4 people so read seat's head-rests would not be of any use. So please keep this in consideration while suggesting anything.
Old 5th May 2010, 22:30   #20
BHPian

HI fine69,
You have answered all your queries via your last post. Get yourself a the black beauty that drives better when it drinks(diesel of course). But with Ldi and that extra money you got approved for vdi, you can use it for adding new shoes and nice alloys for her for that extra grip over highways. And her performance shall ensure that you would not mind spending extra on your destination rather than journey itself(fuel charges i mean)
Old 5th May 2010, 22:52   #21
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Good News! My Dad is ok if I buy Vdi however now I'm thinking if spending this extra 36k would be worth it. I mean primarily all I'm getting is power windows, left side mirror and fog lamps so it is really worth spending the extra amount. Should I instead stick with Ldi or still go with Vdi.
There is much more than just those fog lamps and head-rests. Have a look here!

Maruti Swift - Variants Diesel
Old 6th May 2010, 09:12   #22
BHPian

fine69,

I stay in hyderbad and one of my colleague recently bought a Swift VDI which cost him 6.2L and for which he was not given even a single accessory as it as a diesel! Not even the rubber floor mats!

Later, he spent another 30K on his accessories and that got the total cost to 6.5L for a VDI with no alloys!

Is it worth the cost and how many years would it take for him to recover this cost?

Alex.
Old 6th May 2010, 09:29   #23
BHPian

Quote:
More importantly, while searching within the forums I came across a little too many rattling issues being reported in swift diesel, is this something that I'm bound to encounter and is it only restricted to diesel model and not petrol?
The rattling issue is not just specific to diesel Swift - even the petrol ones have it. Secondly, you are not going to face that much of an issue with rattling anymore - It is going to be there, but, not as much as a lot of the earlier Swifts and here is the reason for the same -

Rattling was happening because of relative looseness between the Inner frame of the passenger cabin and the outer frame of the car. Maruti has fixed this issue to a larger extent by having a few additional spot welds done - specially under the front driver and passenger seats.

The other source of rattling was found to the the doors - The door hinges were designed flexible in order to meet the design specs for a side-on impact. The doors however were quite heavier for the hinge, so, it tends to loosen out a bit every now and then and voila, you have rattling - The easy way out is to simply ask the mechanics to tighten the door hinges whenever the car is being serviced.

Have used Swift for 2 plus years and I had to sell it off recently and I never encountered this problem.
Old 6th May 2010, 09:49   #24
BHPian

Like many suggested here, go for Diesel. I have upgraded from M800 to Punto Emotion Diesel which has the same engine of Swift Diesel. Its really a good engine. My car has done 10,000 KM and is doing good. As per many others who have used this engine extensively, it is one of the best diesel engines available today and you will not have any maintenance issues. My driving is around 50KM a day and I save around Rs.2000 PM compared to my M800. Diesel is the way go ahead.
Old 6th May 2010, 09:49   #25
Senior - BHPian

ok so finally I asked my Dad to speak to the dealer again and swap the Vxi with Ldi. I could go for Vdi but then I thought it'd be better if spend that money in getting some good tyres and music system in a few months. It'd still be a Black Ldi and to this my mom again made faces in the morning telling me that white is the best but with one white swift already in the house I don't want to overdo it :P Hopefully regular waxing and polishing wouldn't make me regret getting it in black. I'd get all 4 power windows and left side mirror (still don't understand why it is not standard when they give it in Lxi) added explicitly and think about the other things later on maybe.

Now when diesel is finalized I'm getting a little skeptic of the color now :( just want someone to tell me that regular waxing and polishing wouldn't let the shine go away. I could do it every month religiously or anything else if needed but please tell me that I can retain the shining metallic color even after 2-3 years. I mean I see those vintage cars shining and all, I'm sure there is something one can do to retain the metallic shine till whenever one wants to.
Old 6th May 2010, 10:38   #26
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NSK123 View Post
I have upgraded from M800 to Punto Emotion Diesel
me too would be upgrading from M800
Old 6th May 2010, 10:51   #27
BHPian

Thanks a tonne, bbkp for sharing this valuable information on the rattling problem !! This made my day too since I am also on the verge of booking my car, and the fight is now between Punto MJD active or Swift LDI (Both in White ).

@fine69 : You have already answered most of your queries. And bbkp has provided very useful info on the rattling issues. I feel that if you are considering the VDI ABS then it is worth it.

But if the consideration is for the normal VDI, then please have a look at the following points:

1. You already mentioned that rear seat will be used only 10% of the time. So, head rests there will not be that cruicial.

2. AutoCop has a set of remote locking system that comes with power windows and Auto-roll while locking @ 12,500 Bucks. Since you are planning to Mod after some time you could go for this. I found the details of this somewhere in this forum. Could anyone plese confirm.

3. You could get the LHS Mirror and it would not be that heavy on your pocket. You could as well go for internally adjustable ones on both sides.

4. You could also get the matt finished black stickers that would be wrapped around youe A & B pillars to give the VDI kind of a look. They are cheap and last long too.

4. All the other extras in VDI over LDI would not make your life miserable by any standards. Only thing that you would miss out really would be the tacho.

Now the catch is a price difference of 37K between these variants. The extra expenses in mirrors, powerwindows etc will set you back by ~ 20 K Max. So, you get a car that looks and feels like the VDI at 17K cheaper and this 17K would cleanly fetch you a good set of Michelin 195 shoes in exchange of your stock tyres. That, to me sounds like a juicier choice to have than the tacho.
Old 6th May 2010, 11:11   #28
BHPian

Well, black is a very difficult color to maintain. Give it for a car wash in the morning and by the afternoon you would need to mop it up again because the car looks dusty. Not that the amount of dust is more because it is a black colored car, but the dust just shows up so much more on the black color. Every single peck of dust gets clearly visible on black. The car starts looking dirty and just doesn't hide even the slightest of the dust. If you keep cleaning it, well, the shine is going to do if you clean it more frequently and if you don't clean it, then it looks ugly - that's the problem.

No amount of waxing / teflon work is going to help because the issue is with the color not the shine. Add to this the fact that Black cars are going to get more hotter in summers. The general tendency hence is not to go for a black car. IMO, from a practical perspective, Silver, Biege, Golden and closer metallic shades make excellent color followed by the lighter solid colors. Red is a good choice even though it is dark because it can camouflage smaller specs of dust and smaller scratches.

Having said all that, one thing is that a car is not always bought from a practical perspective alone - A lot of emotion is involved in here - If you like black a lot, no harm in going for it as long as you are willing to forego a little bit as a black car will almost always fetch you slightly less resale value.

Cheers
Old 6th May 2010, 11:54   #29
Senior - BHPian

@bbkp: Well you said it right there. Initially I'd actually agreed to go for white but whenver I'd see a black shining swift I'd be like, "I better thing again". Whenever I'd imagine myself in a white swift it just didn't feel right, now with black I'd be happy and all but since you mentioned that nothing could retain the shine I feel extremely confused now :(

I mean there has to be a way to retain its shining and all. Isn't waxing and polishing done to retain the metallic shine? I mean why else would one do it. Guys please advise, thanks.
Old 6th May 2010, 12:46   #30
BHPian

[quote=fine69;1872134
I mean there has to be a way to retain its shining and all. Isn't waxing and polishing done to retain the metallic shine? I mean why else would one do it. Guys please advise, thanks.
[/quote]

Well - I repeat it again - It is not an issue with the shine - It is an issue with the color - Because of the color, car starts looking dirty. Since the car looks dirty, people clean it a lot more and the more you clean the car, the more you loose on shine. Shine can be brought back by having frequent wax polishing and teflon coating - Which is what is the extra maintenance that is needed - you need to really take care of the color otherwise it start looking ugly.

With a silver or biege color, it is not such a big issue - infact, they look OK even if they don't shine.

Once again - color of the car is pure taste and is decided by heart more and less mind - So, if your heart says black - go for it. The only drawback being that you would need to maintain it well and constantly care about it.
Closed Thread