Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > What Car? > Hatchbacks


Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 6th May 2010, 13:03   #31
Senior - BHPian
 
fine69's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 1,407
Thanked: 860 Times
Default

I think I know what you mean. No I wouldn't be tormenting the shine with extra-frequent cleaning, just a morning wash everyday by a guy who does it for my M800 and Swift currently, though I'd explain certain things to him so that he doesn't rub off the paint while cleaning it (don't care much about it on my M800 as of now). Also, how much would you say regular (and how regular) teflon coating cost?
fine69 is offline  
Old 6th May 2010, 13:51   #32
BHPian
 
rajushank84's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: California, USA
Posts: 861
Thanked: 350 Times
Default

fine69: black absorbs heat. Just google this, I tried and this is what I found: it does apply in cars. I found a few articles where they tested by placing a white car and a black car of exact model in the same spot in the sun for the same amount of time, and the difference in heat is perceptible.

Secondly, people in this country are sentimentally against black. It may not apply to you, but it will apply when you sell this car after 5 or 7 years. Because of this sentiment, you will get less buyers, so you will lose the negotiating edge.

Third, white looks more awesome with alloys than black does. Of course, this is just subjective and varies from person to person.

I appreciate your decision of going for Ldi to save up for alloys & tyres. It makes more sense than getting Vdi which will have power windows, useless warnings and buzzers etc but will have neither music system nor alloy wheels.
rajushank84 is offline  
Old 6th May 2010, 14:00   #33
BHPian
 
nvldvr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 399
Thanked: 248 Times
Default

@fine69 Congrats on the wise decision of going for diesel. You are not going to regret it one bit. Also, LDi is better value for money as you dont need most of the gizmos that VDi gets, and what you actually need can be easily sourced from after market at better prices.

On the colour front, i owned a Black Wagon R LXi for close to four years. Had opted for black as i thought it looked really cool. However, it is an extremely difficult colour to mantain. You wash it thoroughly, and half an hour later you will see it covered in dust all over again. The dust just appears so prominent on the black background.
Scratch marks are similarly prominently visible. You can mantain the shine over years with regular waxing etc, but its easier said than done 'cos with time, the eagerness to work on your car decreases.
And one very important drawback which most people dont consider is that black gets too hot too soon. Park it in a place with no shade, and you cant get inside the car.
I gave my black car to my dad and have now got a white scorpio for myself. Have had it for around six months. Its so much easier to mantain, and cooler as well. Absolutely loving it. In fact, i have decided never to get anywhere close to a black car again in my life.
If not white, you could go for similar easy to mantain colours like silver.
Hope this helps.
Cheers.
nvldvr is online now  
Old 6th May 2010, 14:02   #34
Senior - BHPian
 
fine69's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 1,407
Thanked: 860 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajushank84 View Post
I found a few articles where they tested by placing a white car and a black car of exact model in the same spot in the sun for the same amount of time, and the difference in heat is perceptible.
Thanks for the concern however I read it on the team-bhp forums only that the difference isn't that significant that you would not want to take your black car out in the sun. Besides, most of the time it would be parked in my office's underground parking (DLF Square) and even if I'm out on sunday afternoons I wouldn't mind the AC taking a couple of more minutes in bringing the temperature down.

I've made up my mind now, Black it is. Just waiting for inputs on teflon coating price and frequency at which I should get it done. Hopefully saving 2100/- INR (as per my calculation) a month doesn't mean spending almost the same on maintaining the color :P
fine69 is offline  
Old 6th May 2010, 14:50   #35
Senior - BHPian
 
fine69's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 1,407
Thanked: 860 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by nvldvr View Post
You can mantain the shine over years with regular waxing etc, but its easier said than done 'cos with time, the eagerness to work on your car decreases
I can assure all that this won't happen in my case. I've really invested a lot of my time in finalizing this "car" (I wish I could say something else instead which would show how much it means to me) and would actually be losing out on my hard-earned if I didn't maintain it the way I really want it to, thanks for the concern though
fine69 is offline  
Old 6th May 2010, 14:53   #36
BHPian
 
Anandg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 293
Thanked: 15 Times
Default

My 2 cents here. Though for initial time you would pamper her with all polish to make to shine, but 1 strach from a "monkey on the loose" on the road is all to it takes to bring down that enthusiasm. The best color as per me is white as you can put imported sports etc. stickers on it from ebay and white color also has best resale value.
Anandg is offline  
Old 6th May 2010, 15:06   #37
BHPian
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 88
Thanked: 6 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anandg View Post
My 2 cents here. Though for initial time you would pamper her with all polish to make to shine, but 1 strach from a "monkey on the loose" on the road is all to it takes to bring down that enthusiasm. The best color as per me is white as you can put imported sports etc. stickers on it from ebay and white color also has best resale value.
Well, while white color cheats the dust and looks neat, The issue is it is susceptible to stains. Metallic colors are very practical according to me - Silver and biege are the best according to me.
bbkp is offline  
Old 6th May 2010, 17:13   #38
Senior - BHPian
 
fine69's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 1,407
Thanked: 860 Times
Default

Went through a lot of threads on waxing polising the car, I don't think I'd need teflon coating for at least 2-3 years and that too after I fully understand if its actually a coating or just better waxing polishing (as mentioned in a thread that went on for years). I mean maintaining the color isn't a problem unless you don't want to do it, and eagerness to do it comes from how well one would want his/her ride to look. I'm ready to sweat it out every fortnight or month provided I'm satisfied with the end result.

And above all this, sitting in a black shining beauty would make me a very very happy person and I'd enjoy giving others the 'you wish' look
fine69 is offline  
Old 7th May 2010, 09:30   #39
Senior - BHPian
 
fine69's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 1,407
Thanked: 860 Times
Default

Asked Dad to check up on the waiting time for white as well as black Ldi, I'm confused now because on my way to the office today I saw a white Vdi with nice alloys and tyres and the ride look sportier. So I might as well go for white if the waiting period is significantly less for them because the time/effort/money I've already decided to put up with in case I go with Black would only come down in case of white.

I'm not sure if any of you was as confused as I am when finalizing your ride :(
fine69 is offline  
Old 7th May 2010, 14:10   #40
Senior - BHPian
 
fine69's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 1,407
Thanked: 860 Times
Default

Just sent a mail to the dealer asking him to swap vxi with ldi (in white) and what he tells me is that vxi w/ abs would have been ready in another 3-4 days but ldi would take atleast another 1 to 1.5 month!
fine69 is offline  
Old 8th May 2010, 13:57   #41
BHPian
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 88
Thanked: 6 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by fine69 View Post
Just sent a mail to the dealer asking him to swap vxi with ldi (in white) and what he tells me is that vxi w/ abs would have been ready in another 3-4 days but ldi would take atleast another 1 to 1.5 month!
Standard trap laid by dealers to get the deal asap. SEcondly from your perspective, it is better to wait for a month than to drive somethings that is not the one for you - considering your usage, VXI us just not the one for you.
bbkp is offline  
Old 9th May 2010, 15:42   #42
Senior - BHPian
 
fine69's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 1,407
Thanked: 860 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbkp View Post
Standard trap laid by dealers to get the deal asap. SEcondly from your perspective, it is better to wait for a month than to drive somethings that is not the one for you - considering your usage, VXI us just not the one for you.
I guess you are right, because just before I booked Ldi it was 2-3 months for Vxi and suddenly that changed to 3 days. However, I'd say that whatever happens, happens for a reason - in my case happened for the best! Its a little scary when I now think what if I would've taken the Vxi, thanks to you all that I didn't.

As for the white color, I guess after all this discussion and having gone through the misconception behind teflon coating (as mentioned in one of the threads) white would be the best for me.

Have planned to get 4 PW and the LHS mirror added separately, would get the door handles and mirror cowls painted white (hopefully the dealer would be able to do that) and would also get it debadged (except for the Suzuki and DDiS logos)

Wait time now is 1 month for White Ldi (dealer - Vipul motors), would let you all know when I take the delivery of my first car
fine69 is offline  
Old 10th May 2010, 09:54   #43
BHPian
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 88
Thanked: 6 Times
Default

You see - this is not a car on which you are going to get any discounts - the model has been so successful that even after 5-6 years of run, it still has a wait period. So, plainly rule out any discounts.

Now that you have ruled out discounts, it doesn't matter which dealer you are going for. So, ideally when shopping in such a situation, book at one place and then pick up the telephone and enquire with every dealer if they have any stock available for immediate delivery. If any dealer says yes to that, cancel your booking and proceed with getting the immediate allocation on that car. If there is none available with anyone, then stick with your booking.

I did this when I bought my Swift VXI - was given one month wait period by Spectra Motors. Later on, when I was growingly desperate, I called up all the other dealers and Sai Service confirmed that they have 4 VXIs with them in their stock - 2 arctic white, one silver and one sunlight copper - picked up the silver one and paid the initial amount - cancelled the booking at Spectra and got all formalities done in a week's time. Originally planned for Azure Grey, but ended up with Silky Silver - Wifey was happy because she didn't like Azure Grey much.

One of my relatives used the same trick for Dzire LDI - He got a Dzire LDI delivered to him in a week's time when there was a wait period of 6-7 months on it - A lot of times, the vehicles are sent to the dealers and are lying with the dealers, but, the dealer cannot deliver them as customers' loan application is not yet processed and allocation cannot be done because of realisation of funds by the dealer - So, they can expedite sale of the car to you if you can make a spot payment.
bbkp is offline  
Old 10th May 2010, 10:17   #44
BHPian
 
revved_up's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 689
Thanked: 210 Times
Default

Congrats on deciding on the LDi. Since you mentioned you were getting a special price on Vxi, does that mean you cant go to other dealers? If you can, i would suggest, look around. Two years back i got my car in 7days flat when the normal waiting period was 2-3 months. Check this : http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-d...vdi-white.html

Regarding the color, black definately looks very good on swift, but in Delhi maintaing this color can be very tough (my opinion). This was the reason i chose white 2 years ago, and also the pearl mettalic white is not the normal white that you see on other cars, but again white is also not easy to maintain . Anyways all the best for your new car.
OT: The white vdi you saw which made you change your mind, might have been mine lol, i also work in DLF gurgaon.

Last edited by revved_up : 10th May 2010 at 10:21.
revved_up is offline  
Old 10th May 2010, 10:42   #45
BHPian
 
SilkDrive's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 172
Thanked: 22 Times
Default

Hi fine69,

Good choice of colour in the end. Swift looks smashing in white. However in the LDI, you would find the A and B pillars body coloured. This should not have made much of a difference if you had gone for the black one, but on any other colour this is fairy noticable and this according to me sets back the attitude and the beauty of the swift by a fair amount.

Please consider getting the matt black stickers, for the pillars, from the dealer. They are cheap and last long too (has been doing good for more than 2 years on a relatives LXI).
SilkDrive is offline  
Closed Thread


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Maruti Swift Vxi or Ldi? EDIT: Bought Ldi Gurudatta Nayak Hatchbacks 27 14th May 2008 20:09
Swift VXI - Delivery delayed by 3 weeks, Do I buy Ford Ikon? EDIT : Bought Swift Ldi nikunj_cal Hatchbacks 142 6th September 2007 14:12
Fusion + ABS or Baleno VXI or Accent Viva ABS? What to buy? Confused like anything.. sendu79 Sedans 47 3rd June 2006 20:21


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 08:50.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks