Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > What Car? > Hatchbacks

Closed Thread

Old 13th May 2010, 15:27   #61
BHPian

@fine69:
If you very much concerned with Ride Quality, please stick to 185/70/R14.
Save money!!
If you are not concerned with harsh ride with 195/60/R15, then better go for it with 15" rims/alloys.
For 195/60/R15 tires: You can choose from Apollo, Yokos, Continental, Michelins.

Have a good ride!!
Old 13th May 2010, 15:42   #62
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackstallion76 View Post
@fine69:
If you very much concerned with Ride Quality, please stick to 185/70/R14.
Save money!!
If you are not concerned with harsh ride with 195/60/R15, then better go for it with 15" rims/alloys.
For 195/60/R15 tires: You can choose from Apollo, Yokos, Continental, Michelins.

Have a good ride!!
Save money?? Is it that 195s are way more expensive than 185s?

Also would it be recommended that I install 195s on a car that'd run 1300 kms a month just from home to office and besides this I'd also plan 400-500kms (minimum) worth road trips at least once a month. Would you say that 185s would be better suited here? I can probably get 185s with wheel cap that comes with Vdi since alloys would look their best with fat tyres and at least 15"
Old 13th May 2010, 16:21   #63
BHPian

Michelin XM1+ 185/70/14 would be the best option for you in my opinion. You would be able to use these tyres on your stock rims with absolutely no safety concerns. You can safely run with this configuration for the entire lifetime of the vehicle rather than the one year period that you are going to wait for the alloys.

Getting wider tyres than 185 will certainly look cooler when you get your alloys a year later but till then it will be a bit unsafe. It is not that wider tyres do not sit on the stock rims, but its not a perfect fit and it not recommended as well.

I think going for the 15" ones will void your warranty on suspension setup and IMHO its not worth doing that. After all the entire point of choosing a maruti is the peace of mind associated with it. Voiding that does not make much sense, doe it?

Last edited by SilkDrive : 13th May 2010 at 16:35. Reason: updated to make reply more "to-the-point"
Old 13th May 2010, 16:33   #64
Senior - BHPian

Well sorry for so many consecutive posts however I think I'm getting confused between what exactly I want from my car - Performance or Looks or Comfort or Handling or something else

I'd say that with 1800kms running per month Performance would be my first priority followed by Looks and then Comfort and Handling (Comfort & Handling at the same level)

So here are my final questions on tyres (please mind that I've spent the entire day today going through the Tyre section on team-bhp, office work done - zilch)
1. Can I get some cool 14" alloys on the stock tyres (reason me being on budget, can spend either on tyres or alloys as of now - NOT both) and if I plan to get alloys on stock tyres would it be recommended that I get fat alloys (6 max I don't think 6.5 would make sense) - would it even be possible? and if possible would it be a wise decision?
2. Though my first question was in favour of looks I'd still rate performance higher so would be better if I buy Michelin's 185 instead and put them on stock rims with wheelcap?
3. How can I put 195/60 R15 on steel rims - I believe then I'd have to procure 15" steel rims also, right? Any suggestions on how?
4. Can you please suggest some trustworthy aftermarket sources in Delhi from where I can get the stock tyre exchange done and purchase michelins - also in case you recommend 15" steel rims with 195/60 R15 then where do I get these steel rims from?
Old 13th May 2010, 16:40   #65
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilkDrive View Post
I think going for the 15" ones will void your warranty on suspension setup and IMHO its not worth doing that. After all the entire point of choosing a maruti is the peace of mind associated with it. Voiding that does not make much sense, doe it?
Yeah it would definitely void the warranty I guess 185s is what I should finalize - I mean looks and all is cool but I would rather be more happy with saving money on fuel, not voiding warranty, getting that driving pleasure (comfort and handling) during those weekend trips.

I must tell you all that I learned a great deal of stuff on team-bhp...thanks to you all!!!

Off Topic: my nick now says BHPian, not newbie anymore!! :-D

Last edited by fine69 : 13th May 2010 at 16:43. Reason: just got promoted to BHPian from newbie :) did not want to post it separately
Old 14th May 2010, 00:31   #66
Senior - BHPian

@fine:
With performance as your first priority, it is highly recommended that you go for better tyres first. Since you have gone through all the calculations, it makes sense to stick to 185/70R14 tyres and depending on your priority, you can get either Michs or Yokos.

I am saying tyres over rims because the tyres are the only link your car has with the roads. There have been many accidents with the Swift D where people could not handle the power on the stock tyres.
Also, by getting the tyres now, you could always wait a few years, and once the warranty is over and the tyres are worn out, you could just splurge once and for all on 15" rims and tyres together, thus having the best of both worlds.
Old 14th May 2010, 00:50   #67
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fine69 View Post
Yeah it would definitely void the warranty I guess 185s is what I should finalize - I mean looks and all is cool but I would rather be more happy with saving money on fuel, not voiding warranty, getting that driving pleasure (comfort and handling) during those weekend trips.

I must tell you all that I learned a great deal of stuff on team-bhp...thanks to you all!!!

Suspension, brakes, clutches, tyres etc are not covered in warranty. Sounds weird, but its true.
Old 14th May 2010, 10:20   #68
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirAlec View Post
Suspension, brakes, clutches, tyres etc are not covered in warranty. Sounds weird, but its true.
What do you mean????!!!!! All this while people have been making such a big fuss about suspension warranty and you say there isn't any in the first place!!

I mean I've already finalized 185/70 R14 but just for information purpose I would like to clarify this.
Old 14th May 2010, 10:47   #69
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fine69 View Post
:-) I am also striving towards that buddy (and only 6 more posts to go)!!I have been very interested in automobiles since childhood, and have been following team-BHP for more than 3 years now, as a guest, but somehow never managed to become a member until recently. I must confess that I get a very weird feeling while giving advice to others when my nick shouts "newbie".
Old 14th May 2010, 11:24   #70
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirAlec View Post
That really does sound weird. But, in that case, would upgrading to 15" wheels not have any effect on the over all warranty of the vehicle, at all? This sort of upgrade has some effect, however small it might be, on the speedo error percentage, GC and other aspects of the vehicle, which should be of concern to the manufacturer. I guess this concern would show up on the warranty in some way or the other. Please throw some light on this.
Old 16th May 2010, 00:04   #71
Senior - BHPian

please suggest someone in delhi (preferrably south delhi) who'd exchange my swift stock typres (the same day I get it) for Michelin XM1+ 185/70 R14

Last edited by fine69 : 16th May 2010 at 00:12.
Old 23rd May 2010, 23:46   #72
BHPian

fine69,
I dont want to go against your decision for Ldi but as you are going to get the power windows from outside I would recommend you first check out the same on someone else's car first. A couple of my friends bought Swift Ldi's, one of them got power windows fitted by the dealer itself and the other one from outside. I checked them out both, the plastics felt cheap and I literally mean CHEAP !! The button to lock all four windows was also like the swithces we have in our house for tubelights I hope you can make out what i'm reffering to. One of them has even sold his Ldi so can't comment on how it was working after 3 years. The plastic used is very very light and i dont think it can survive much.
Please check it out

Note from Mod : Queries sufficiently answered. Closing thread now

Last edited by GTO : 24th May 2010 at 14:27. Reason: Adding thread closure note
Closed Thread