Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > What Car? > Hatchbacks

Old 14th May 2010, 13:54   #31
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2cents View Post
@kiyon: Were they 2009 models that you tried? Mine was. Punto looks like a little expensive choice on paper. But there are good discounts on the models, against i20, Figo, or Polo, which hardly have any. The SP informed that if I will get free accessories on active or dynamic variants, and straight discounts in case of E and E pack. I haven't done a TD of Figo/i20 yet. Will get time only in the last week. I think I will have a open mind till I see their offer.

Not sure about the year, though one had 5,000 odd Kms clocked and the other 6,500+ Kms....

( I am talking here about the Bangalore price list)
Yeah Punto has discounts that I previously mentioned about 10k cash back, Insurance free and Ex Warranty free..that comes close to 26K discount and the cost will be 6.94 L for EM PK 1.4 petrol ( More or less 2K + or - compared to i20 ASTA 1.2 without discounts). Other than this might be able to bargain on freebies...
Kiyon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th May 2010, 14:15   #32
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

@downloadlive: All sanity and rationale in the world tells me to go for a petrol. But my heart still beats for the Multijet. The moment I sat in, I felt mounted on a horse and said to myself "yep! this is my vehicle of freedom". Heart still beats for it.
To help you make an informed decision (or to add to confusion ?) my monthly runs are in now way excess of 1000 km. But I went for Punto Diesel emotion. And I am not regretting it. And now I have sheer pleasure of watching FIAT bashers sit beside me and watching the RMP needle, gear and the speed and saying "Ya, that is a good thing about diesel....Ya you can do that with a diesel".

If you are going to keep car for long ( I cant think of selling this one ever) and accordingly are not worried by resale value, then dont think of 60K something you will have to pay upfront for diesel.

Afterall why we earn . Save for few months to make up for the difference and then go for it. Maybe by that time Punto Sports Diesel will be there in market to seduce you.

You live only once Saar.

Hope I added to dilemma.
download2live is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd May 2010, 16:09   #33
BHPian

Default Status update!

Went to different dealerships yesterday and got all the details. Was planning to take a TD of i20 and Punto atleast. But could not.

Punto:
Kiyon and Downloadlive: I am terribly disappointed. I went to the showroom, had a good look in and out. Guess what! The plastic cladding in the C-pillar interiod had come of and just hanging. And this is their Display piece. My friend with me, owner and big fan of Fiat, gave a complete thumbs down. The clueless SP told it was 2010 make. Besides,
1) The lever for seat adjustments look flimsy, so does the glove tray.
2) Its not so easy to adjust the tilt steering. I was afraid It may break.
3) The foot well is cramped. Rest your feet on the dead pedal, you are stuck.
Came back very disappointed.
Decision: Negative

Polo:
Six month waiting period. Delivery only in Nov/Dec. The Fortuner must feel shy. Besides, puny interiors, not much leg space for the driver, or at rear, you have to sit down, not enough head room. But good interior quality.
Decision: Negative

i20:

Reasonably good interiors, reasonably good music, good set of features.
Known issues: not so good ride and handling.
Doubtful issues: AC, head lights, horn decibel level, reported mileage is much less than claimed figures.
Things i noticed: The steering feels too thin, even compared to i10. The foot well is much comfortable than Punto. But the clutch has to be pushed down a bit too far. Also the dead pedal is much below the clutch level, so not all that useful.
Service appeared good. I checked the accessories section, clearly they were NOT trying to fleece me with the rates and different options.
But absolutely no discounts, apart from mats, flaps, and some indication that I may get teflon coat and sunfilm on bargaining.

Quote (ON ROAD):
Magna1.2: 5.45 L
Sports1.2: 5.85 L
Asta1.2: 6.31 L

Fabia:
I got to know from friends, and our memer Kadri007, that there is a flat 50k discount on Fabia. Checked it out-it is true. It was my third stop right after Polo, but even then this vehicle is a class act. A clear difference in quality of the vehicle. The SP was very knowledgeble (just like the 'volk' at my earlier stop), but appeared visibly desperate. I am sure he is going to call me this week.
Known issues:
1) Skoda
2) puny 3 pot engine, poor mileage on the petrol.

Quote (ON ROAD):
Classic 1.2 Petrol: 5.47L (2 airbags, but all other features same as i20 Magna)
Ambiente 1.2 Petrol: 6.31L (But for steering mounted controls, same as i20 Asta)

Classic 1.4 Diesel: 6.59L

Suddenly, the 'not at all in my radar' Fabia looks like VFM compared to i20.
The cost includes insurance (18k-20k, Reliance), but I have the option of going for a insurance of my choice. I may save a few thousands this way, but SP said its better to go for the company offered one, since the claims will be easier. Any info on this?

I know Skoda is not a favorite name in t-b, but given the quality and 50k discount, I am just too tempted into this blasphemy. Please guys, this is now my new shortlist, i20 or Fabia? Am I falling into a trap going for Fabia?
Fabia Petrol has a very poor mileage(10-11 km), but the Diesel gives nearly 20km. Given that the Classic Diesel is in my range, is it any wise to go for it?
2cents is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th June 2010, 22:13   #34
BHPian

Default Booked Fabia Petrol Ambiente

After taking a TD of both i20 and Fabia decided to book the Czech.
Still not too confident with my decision, but both had their strong +ves and -ves.

Quality wise, the i20 simply doesn't compare with the Fabia. After discounts, it is cheaper than the 'i' by ten grand atleast.
A. S. S - that's a different story. I enquired a friend of mine who owns one, and some members here. Not a single complaint on the car itself, but nobody's happy with the service. I have a feeling that in time VW and Skoda will share their service network. Wishful thinking perhaps. Here are the details:

Make : Skoda
Model : Fabia
Variant : Ambiente
Fuel : Petrol
Booking Date : 14/06/2010
Color : Cappuccino Beige
Expected Delivery Date :
30/06/2010 (It has a waiting period)
Freebies : Mudflaps, Mats, Sun film, 45lt Petrol.
Others : Cash discount - Rs. 51,427/-. Ex. Showroom(after discount) - Rs. 5,76,602/-.Two years warranty. No option of extended warranty.

Iffco-Tokio has given a quote ~13k .
Old 15th June 2010, 11:32   #35
Senior - BHPian

Congrats 2cents. Like it was i20-vs-Fabia in your case, it was Jazz-vs-Fabia in my case. Bought Fabia for space and ride comfort. I am super impressed with its suspension - it glides on bad roads and speed breakers. Engine is bad but will get the job done as far as city driving is concerned. Happy and safe ownership!!
androdev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th June 2010, 12:11   #36
BHPian

Congrats 2cents! The Fabia is a solidly built car, with top notch interiors.

What's your take on the Fabia's ground clearance? I heard it is quite low.
spindoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th June 2010, 13:57   #37
BHPian

Thanx Androdev. your tips helped.

@spindoc: Thanx. The official GC of 146mm is the measure below the engine. But between the wheels, where it matters, it is normal. Don't know the numbers though, but got this specifically clarified from a friend of mine who owns one. Several members here have also reported to have never scraped the bottom.
Old 8th August 2010, 16:06   #38
BHPian

Default Bought

Thanx guys!
I brought it home a few weeks back, and have put up a review here (Skoda "The Tank" Fabia, Ambiente Petrol). Do have a look.
Old 8th August 2010, 16:12   #39
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
After taking a TD of both i20 and Fabia decided to book the Czech.
Solid built car
Quote:
Expected Delivery Date : [/b]30/06/2010 (It has a waiting period)
Yaar... after getting your order, give them some time to manufacture the car
wildon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th August 2010, 22:38   #40
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildon View Post
Solid built car

Yaar... after getting your order, give them some time to manufacture the car
i20 was in fact my first choice, but at the end of the day fabia was cheaper than similarly spec'd i20 variant by atleast 15k after discounts. That was the deal maker. Do drop into my review thread some time.
Old 17th August 2010, 12:40   #41
BHPian

Post deleted by the Team-BHP Support : One-liners that add ZERO value to the thread are strictly prohibited on Team-BHP. In fact, they are considered as SPAM. Please do not hit the post submit button unless you have something of value to add to the thread.

We advise you to visit our board rules before proceeding any further.

Last edited by GTO : 18th August 2010 at 13:10.
Butters is offline   Reply With Quote Received Infraction
Old 18th September 2010, 05:56   #42

Arrow

I bought a new Skoda Fabia Tdi Classic variant two weeks ago, and how I love the:

1)steering feel, light at slow speeds, weighs up at higher speeds(read post 80 kmph)

2)the super slick gearbox with an excellent grip on the stick.

3)room and space enough to fit the Indian socca team with their kits

4)The stability at speeds is probably comparable to the cruze/civic if not better(Hit 170, o yes from that puny 3 cyl, 68 bhp, 155 NM Diesel engine, on a not so even road with one passenger and I ran out of road else, im sure it could go upto 175 or so)

5) the Build('nuff said)

6) apollo acellere rubber that now adorns its shoes.

NOT so good bits:

-Boring interiors.

-The glovebox without the a/c in the newer models and some other small equipment missing(as seen on some other classic variants)

-Though i love the steering, it doesn't really tell u what the tyres are upto, nowhere close to the punto. How i miss my baleno and the sudden surge of those 94 horses with the feel of it all :'(

-a bit too quiet for my liking(though the engine note does improve after 2500 rpm)

-Progress not in the league of the swift diesel.

- but did outdo a g-series swift petrol and was keeping up with the DDiS pretty well.

-Slightly high-ish seating position, but the fully adjustable steering makes up for it to some extent.

OVerall, its a commuter car, with loads of comfort and peace of mind, the sound system is decent, though speakers need a swap. Mines a corrida red, plan to chip tune it after 20k KM. IS the Green cotton filter really necessary.
Also plan to get alloys after the stocks wear out and finally plan to keep the car for 6-7 years or upto 200,000 kMs.

Dream on.
pLeaSe Dont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd September 2010, 22:06   #43
BHPian

Congrats! Welcome to the club!
Quote:
Originally Posted by pLeaSe Dont View Post

-The glovebox without the a/c in the newer models and some other small equipment missing(as seen on some other classic variants)
Is the new version out already?! Or is it just that Skoda has been continuously removing features for some time now. Till I had a TD the rear defoggers were standard, but are now not available even in Elegance.
Can you share cost details too?
Old 17th October 2010, 22:27   #44
VMC
BHPian

hi 2 cents..first of all congrats on your new car
Word of caution to you is the A.S.S. If you have multiple dealerships in your city find out which one is better. I know Skoda is improving now but not as much as expected. Also try to find out if any of your friends know the service manager/manager personally well so that you get some special attention.
I am sorry to dishearten you but the reviews i have received are not good in Bangalore. Keep your fingers crossed and drive safely.
How much mileage are you getting? Personally I love the car for the build quality and the looks.
VMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th October 2010, 09:38   #45
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VMC View Post
hi 2 cents..first of all congrats on your new car
Word of caution to you is the A.S.S.......
How much mileage are you getting? Personally I love the car for the build quality and the looks.
Thanx VMC. Fingers crossed, yep I know about the Skoda A. S. S. Took mine for the free monsoon/festival check up last week. So far so good. Sadly, my city has just one dealer.
I am getting a steady 10 till last time I refilled. In fact, it was doing better this time till last weeks check up. After which I see the engine revving higher. Even in idle RPM is never below 1000, that wasn't the case earlier. So, expect mileage to fall a bit this time.