Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > What Car? > Hatchbacks

Old 10th May 2010, 23:05   #1
BHPian

Default 1000 km/month, 5-6.5 Lakhs, Please advice. EDIT: Bought Fabia!

This is my first car. Have been visiting this forum for the last several months regularly. Polo and Figo pushed my decision by a few months. Micra or Etios do not inspire me to wait further, so have decided to take the plunge. Please advice.

Small family, with a one year old and parents, and a rare fifth passenger possibly. Will be primarily used for office commute, roughly 1000 km/month, highway, hilly region. Planning to have it for atleast 10 years. Speed is not a issue, I am a sedate driver. Not sure if I should go for a Diesel. I have circled on the Punto-Multijet-Emotion, or the Figo-TDCi, if it were to be.

Punto-MJT:
+ves
: Pure S. E. X on the street. Excellent build, ride quality, adequate space, good engine, good mileage, can stretch my budget a bit for the Emotion-worth it. Reasonable discounts (850 pieces sold in April), not much of a waiting period.
-ves: Poor plastic quality - the glove box was broken in the TD vehicle, infamous A. S. S (have things improved with Fiat First?), no Bluetooth,USB in ICE.

FIGO-TDCi:
+ves
: Good build, ride quality, space, VFM, within my budget, good mileage.
-ves: Practically no bumper, no power windows in rear (wifey says a strict no!), no adjustable rear head rest, absolutely no discounts.

I am a strict no for the Maruti/Suzuki badge simply over the rattling issues, in virtually every model in their line up. If wishes are granted in a buffet, would have preferred the K12M on a Punto, with Polo interiors. That being ruled out, my only other choice on petrol is the i20 kappa. Or should I go for the Polo?.

i20-kappa:
+ves:
Excellent interiors, spacious, stylish, good A. S. S., good feature list, decent mileage.
-ves: not so good ride quality, bit over priced (do they have any discounts?), wannabe badge.

VW-Polo-Petrol:
+ves:
Excellent build, ride quality, understated, mature, classy looks, good mileage, badge value (I think this vehicle reflects my persona.)
-ves: Expensive, 3-pot, poor leg room in the rear, unknown A. S. S., waiting period of 3 months, no discounts.

Please do chip in with your advice. Planning to book one this month.
2cents is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th May 2010, 03:21   #2
BHPian

Of the options you have mentioned here i would pick the i20, simply because you will get a car complete with goodies and comfort features and since you plan to keep it for a long time, the spacious interiors will be a boon for your growing family. Hyundai has a good after sales and reasonably priced spares, and when you consider what you get for the price it doesn't seem that over priced.
Ford, though good cars (fiesta onwards) seem to age faster in the looks department and will look really outdated 10 years from now...
punto...well i just don't trust Fiat enough from their track record.
Polo, thats a nice car but it is expensive and does miss out on miss features that takes away from the premium hatch feeling, though if you like the build quality give it a look.
Now since it's your first car, you want a car that gives you hassle free experience with comfort features that make you feel at home, i would vote for i20
ishaanranderia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th May 2010, 07:47   #3
Distinguished - BHPian

You just DO NOT need a DIESEL. Please do some math. At this running - you will barely recover the premium.

Instead think a bit calculatively, and buy the Punto 1.4. Paisa vasool and total FUN TO DRIVE hatch!

or i'd say the i10 1.2 - really nice fun car. As you mention sedate - i20 is an equally good contender!!
phamilyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th May 2010, 08:20   #4
BHPian

Hi 2 Cents , Welcome to the Club. I would Recommend to visit this thread http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...-reckoner.html (Small Car Buyer Guide - A Ready Reckoner), which provides more insight on each vehicle ( statistics).

My personal pick would be Fiat or Hyundai varients.

Last edited by GTO : 13th May 2010 at 15:06. Reason: Removing FONT tags
challa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th May 2010, 09:01   #5
BHPian

Thanx 'volks'.

@ishaan : i20 is my first choice for a petrol. Shall work on it. Yet to take a test drive. My brother owns a i10. Quite impressed with its quality, but for the boot space and body roll.
@Phamilyman: 'NO Diesel' seems universal. I will go with that. Some how like the Punto very much. 1.4 seems doable.
@challa: Thanks for the welcome. I have been following Smartcat's thread. Too lenghty, though elaborate. With Maruti a 'no no', i thinks its going to be hyundai or fiat.
Old 11th May 2010, 11:24   #6
BHPian

Just curious! Why are the prices of i20 other than 1.2 kappa showing up on their website?! Are they winding up other versions?
Old 11th May 2010, 16:47   #7
BHPian

You can try Beat.

Heard my friend say that beat is spacious than i10. Donno how true. But you can check.
And with a rare 5th passenger criterion, you can very well go for Beat.
subscrive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th May 2010, 16:56   #8
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2cents View Post

Punto-MJT:
+ves
: Pure S. E. X on the street. Excellent build, ride quality, adequate space, good engine, good mileage, can stretch my budget a bit for the Emotion-worth it. Reasonable discounts (850 pieces sold in April), not much of a waiting period.
-ves: Poor plastic quality - the glove box was broken in the TD vehicle, infamous A. S. S (have things improved with Fiat First?), no Bluetooth,USB in ICE.
Rest assured that the monthly run will increase once you get the car. Since this is going to be your first car this is ever more going to be the case.

Emotion is definitely worth it. As far as A.S.S is considered my experience has been good till now.
download2live is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th May 2010, 17:03   #9
BHPian

It's a tie between the i20 and Polo IMHO. You definitely don't need a diesel. These two have been tested for reliability and are up there in terms of global standards for quality and performance.
u_chill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th May 2010, 18:02   #10
BHPian

Well the i20 Sportz/Magna is a good bet, and so is the Punto - been hearing that Fiat's support has improved quite a bit, as have the interiors in the new Puntos. Have you gone for test drives yet?
darksoul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th May 2010, 21:33   #11
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
T
Small family, with a one year old and parents, and a rare fifth passenger possibly. Will be primarily used for office commute, roughly 1000 km/month, highway, hilly region. Planning to have it for atleast 10 years.
IMO diesel will be best bet as you intend to keep it for a really long time.
Regarding the maruti rattles, you can test drive the Rtiz ,i feel you will not see the rattle in Ritz.
Check out the new vista also, you might like it .

Cheers
Schoudhury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th May 2010, 22:14   #12
Distinguished - BHPian

SC - Can you justify the diesel for his running in any way?

2c - Man - PM nav75 and khan75 for the 1.4 Punto experience. Don't listen to naysayers talking hearsay
phamilyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th May 2010, 23:19   #13
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schoudhury View Post
IMO diesel will be best bet as you intend to keep it for a really long time.
Regarding the maruti rattles, you can test drive the Rtiz ,i feel you will not see the rattle in Ritz.
Check out the new vista also, you might like it .
Cheers
I don't think the Ritz has been out long enough to start rattling. Rattling is mostly due to metal fatigue around the various joins, and that takes time to develop. My aunt's Swift rattles horribly, it's a 2004 model, one of the earliest. The TD cars don't ever rattle, because most of them have panels stuffed with foam, and some plastics glued down.

Quote:
This is my first car. Have been visiting this forum for the last several months regularly. Polo and Figo pushed my decision by a few months. Micra or Etios do not inspire me to wait further, so have decided to take the plunge. Please advice.

Small family, with a one year old and parents, and a rare fifth passenger possibly. Will be primarily used for office commute, roughly 1000 km/month, highway, hilly region. Planning to have it for atleast 10 years. Speed is not a issue, I am a sedate driver. Not sure if I should go for a Diesel. I have circled on the Punto-Multijet-Emotion, or the Figo-TDCi, if it were to be.
If you're planning on keeping this car for a while, diesel shouldn't be a problem, especially if you aren't taking a loan. If you're taking a loan, then the increase in EMI compared to petrol will be higher than the savings from fuel, especially for your running.

Go for the Punto Diesel. It's solidly built, has timeless italian good looks, and will last forever if taken care of. You can always add better ICE later on, and you can replace a broken glovebox door, but for good build and good looks, you can't do much with the others on the list. If the Polo had a diesel version, I'd be recommending that as a ten-year car. But the Punto is the next best thing.
vivekgk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th May 2010, 00:09   #14
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by phamilyman View Post
You just DO NOT need a DIESEL. Please do some math. At this running - you will barely recover the premium.

Instead think a bit calculatively, and buy the Punto 1.4. Paisa vasool and total FUN TO DRIVE hatch!

or i'd say the i10 1.2 - really nice fun car. As you mention sedate - i20 is an equally good contender!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by phamilyman View Post
SC - Can you justify the diesel for his running in any way?
Does people buy diesel cars just to save money? I don't think so, a petrol car + Gas Kit would be a much better option than a diesel car - less initial investment and cheapest to run.

I have a diesel Ritz, it's comes with a superb engine, with superb performance from a tall boy hatch. Engine is very much responsive with huge amount of torque (read pulling power) - 190 Nm@ 2000 rpm in comparison with petrols' 113 Nm@ 4500 rpm. I regularly go to Pune via Express way which comprises both flat and ghats. Every time this diesel engine surprises me with it's performance and I get a 20kmpl FE with diesel as bonus.

If one can invest 6.5 lakhs and want to buy a i20/Polo petrol I would rather suggest go for a Swift/Ritz/Vista diesel at 5.5 lakhs - you'll get performance as well as diesel's running cost advantage.
gaddiwale is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12th May 2010, 01:54   #15
BHPian

You can get a punto petrol emotion pack na
That IMO would be your best bet, I drive a punto diesel and it's been a rather fun filled 15k journey. Plastics have improved in the later models; and even in the the previous models they really aren't that bad, they grow on you as many here feel.
Secondly, you'll get USB and bluetooth. where in India are you located, FIAT A.S.S is dependent on your location.

All in all, my vote would go for the petrol punto, i've driven that quite a bit too, is a fun car.
sukrit7 is offline   Reply With Quote