Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > What Car? > Hatchbacks


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 18th May 2010, 07:44   #31
BHPian
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Trichur
Posts: 97
Thanked: 18 Times
Default

I own both the punto and the swift. Till the Punto came along, the swift was my ride of choice.I have upgraded the tyres on the swift. But after the Punto, the swift feels like a flimsy piece of plastic. Even my dad, whose got lower back pain prefers the Punto over a couple of mid sizers we own.

My experience with the A.S.S has been wonderful.In fact they have even serviced it at 10pm on a Sunday.They opened up their service centre just for me, got the problem rectified and didnt even accept payment. All this after a phone call to their helpline.

As for the swift, there are just too many on the road.It would give you the peace of mind, but would really appease you these days.
ronin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th May 2010, 07:59   #32
BHPian
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: kolkata
Posts: 927
Thanked: 24 Times
Default

I think for a newbie, swift would be a better choice, as it's a safer choice.
musicmanaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th May 2010, 08:38   #33
BHPian
 
REMU's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Permanent Parking: KL01, Temp Parking: KA03
Posts: 60
Thanked: 0 Times
Default The Confusion Continues

Hi Silkdrive,

Nice to see lot of suggestions pouring out and helping you in deciding your first car. Few months ago I was also in a similar kind of dilemma, ended up buying LDi.

However I do not regret my decision as Swift is defineltly a fun vehcile to drive.

Found few treads which might be of interest to you.

Swift to Punto swap:
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-d...ms-update.html (Exchanged Swift with Grande Punto EDIT: 15000 kms update)

Punto Figo Comparison: Should help you know some negatives of Punto
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-d...gh-choice.html (Figo TDCi Titanium Vs Punto MJD Emotion Pack - 2 Diesel cars, 1 buyer - Tough Choice)

All the best, and I am sure you will make a sensible choice which brings miles of smiles in your face.

Cheers,
Remu
REMU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th May 2010, 08:42   #34
BHPian
 
arishi1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Thane - Mumbai
Posts: 291
Thanked: 12 Times
Default

I would suggest you to go with a Punto MJD. I don't own a Swift, but have driven a friends Swift. In terms of driving experience Punto is better any day. My experience with FIAT has been wonderful so far, the car has improved by leaps and bound over the period of ownership, its like the car learns when you drive and gradually it gets very refined. And for A.S.S. well its ok, at the end of the day all that matters is your repo with the service center (read Service advisor) whether its Maruti or Fiat or any other brand. One think that this competition has done is anytime you end up with a bad service experience an email to the respective company will do wonders. I would suggest do a detail test ride of both the cars and take an educated decision on your own. You will get people who will tell you both positive and negative experience.

Last edited by arishi1 : 18th May 2010 at 08:44.
arishi1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th May 2010, 10:40   #35
BHPian
 
Anandg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 293
Thanked: 15 Times
Default

Hi Team,
Not sure if this is the right thread to post my query but it appears to be closest.
From a used car dealer in bangalore I am getting following:
1) Punto -grey/emotion/11k/2009---5.7L
2) Swift - silver/VDI/8k/2009 ---5L

Guys I have to finalize one of them soon.Base on experiance mentioned by owners above and on "swift exchange for Punto forum" , please let me know which would be better. Or rather should I go for a new LDi/punto active?
Also let me know the best price for each of them.
Anandg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th May 2010, 10:54   #36
BHPian
 
ms001's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: bangalore
Posts: 919
Thanked: 63 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anandg View Post
Hi Team,
Not sure if this is the right thread to post my query but it appears to be closest.
From a used car dealer in bangalore I am getting following:
1) Punto -grey/emotion/11k/2009---5.7L
2) Swift - silver/VDI/8k/2009 ---5L

Guys I have to finalize one of them soon.Base on experiance mentioned by owners above and on "swift exchange for Punto forum" , please let me know which would be better. Or rather should I go for a new LDi/punto active?
Also let me know the best price for each of them.
I think you should post your query in the used car price check thread.
Anyway you can go for the punto emotion , try to negotiate the price to about 5.25~5.5 lakh, you will get ABS,OE music system,OE remote key as a plus over the VDI .
ms001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th May 2010, 11:02   #37
BHPian
 
Anandg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 293
Thanked: 15 Times
Default

thanks ms001,
The reason I posted my query here is I am not only looking to get the price info, but which of there cars have better ride quality, safety, low NVH levels, low maintainance costs fun to drive on highways and easy to drive in cities. Have read lots of posts on swift and is smitten by it but it offers zero safety and hence I have second thoughts when I am traveling with my family. Hence please advice which car would be peace of mind in terms of ownership.
Anandg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th May 2010, 11:10   #38
Senior - BHPian
 
download2live's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 1,103
Thanked: 387 Times
Default

Ok I was late here.
But here are my 2 cents.

When I booked car I was a newbie. Did not know also to drive. None in my family also ever had a car.

I went for Punto. Emotion.

Going for a FIAT always has been kind of going for love marriage .
Arranged marriage will be "Good old Maruti".
Found that nearly all the team-bhpians who went for FIAT were driven by heart.

Go ahead take a plunge.

As I always say: If you take a Punto take a diesel. And take highest version possible in your budget.
download2live is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th May 2010, 11:20   #39
BHPian
 
Anandg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 293
Thanked: 15 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anandg View Post
thanks ms001,
The reason I posted my query here is I am not only looking to get the price info, but which of there cars have better ride quality, safety, low NVH levels, low maintainance costs fun to drive on highways and easy to drive in cities. Have read lots of posts on swift and is smitten by it but it offers zero safety and hence I have second thoughts when I am traveling with my family. Hence please advice which car would be peace of mind in terms of ownership.
Thanks friend. But I am looking for a more detailed answer for PUNTO Vs Swift and whether it is advisable to go for old car or new ones.
Anandg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th May 2010, 11:27   #40
Senior - BHPian
 
download2live's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 1,103
Thanked: 387 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anandg View Post
Thanks friend. But I am looking for a more detailed answer for PUNTO Vs Swift and whether it is advisable to go for old car or new ones.
If possible always go for a new car. Especially in Bangalore.
You can refer to this thread.
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/what-c...bangalore.html (Does it make sense to buy a used car in Bangalore ?)

Also between Swift and Punto I will suggest you go for Punto. Reason? I have it and i am loving it.
download2live is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th May 2010, 11:30   #41
BHPian
 
santhosh_lv's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 111
Thanked: 43 Times
Default

i own a VDI from past 15 months and recently got impressed with the diesel competitor PUNTO. Awsome car to own, however according to the reviews, spares and service seem to be a major concern for most of the folks. I would have written myself a new thread to take a wise decision. Though i am very happy with swift's charm till date without any problems, i would suggest you to go with PUNTO as its more value for money considering your budget constraint. Otherwise SWIFT.
santhosh_lv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th May 2010, 11:57   #42
BHPian
 
SilkDrive's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 172
Thanked: 22 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by download2live View Post
Ok I was late here.
But here are my 2 cents.

When I booked car I was a newbie. Did not know also to drive. None in my family also ever had a car.

I went for Punto. Emotion.

Going for a FIAT always has been kind of going for love marriage .
Arranged marriage will be "Good old Maruti".
Found that nearly all the team-bhpians who went for FIAT were driven by heart.

Go ahead take a plunge.

As I always say: If you take a Punto take a diesel. And take highest version possible in your budget.
Thanks for the suggestions buddy ! I have started feeling much more reassured with these comments from satisfied punto owners. Yes, i intend to go with a diesel only.

I had read somewhere that some shade of the punto was discontinued due to quality and longivity issues. And as far as i remember, it was some shade of white. Could any one please comment that was it the Bossa Nova White that had been temporarily discontinued or was it some other shade? Also could any one please comment on the maintainability and longivity of he BN White.

By the way, the colours i prefer on the punto are BN White, Medium Grey (the darker one), and Red. The preference is in the order mentioned here.
SilkDrive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th May 2010, 12:23   #43
BHPian
 
ms001's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: bangalore
Posts: 919
Thanked: 63 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilkDrive View Post
I had read somewhere that some shade of the punto was discontinued due to quality and longivity issues. And as far as i remember, it was some shade of white. Could any one please comment that was it the Bossa Nova White that had been temporarily discontinued or was it some other shade? Also could any one please comment on the maintainability and longivity of he BN White.
here.
Vocal white is discontinued , it was never available in punto, it was available earlier in Linea which was discontinued due to some issue.
the easiest to maintain color is silver , rest all colors have more or less the same maintainability .
ms001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th May 2010, 14:51   #44
Senior - BHPian
 
clevermax's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Tvm/Amsterdam
Posts: 1,601
Thanked: 406 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicmanaman View Post
I think for a newbie, swift would be a better choice, as it's a safer choice.
Safer in terms of what? I presume it is A.S.S. you are talking about...
clevermax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th May 2010, 15:29   #45
Senior - BHPian
 
download2live's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 1,103
Thanked: 387 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilkDrive View Post
By the way, the colours i prefer on the punto are BN White, Medium Grey (the darker one), and Red. The preference is in the order mentioned here.
IMHO Punto looks best in Red. Zhattak Red .
White in Punto is all about elegance and refinement.

Medium Grey? It simply does not do justice to this car. Robs it of its sheen.

And one more thing. Do check out the front grill color. If you go for emotion or emotion pk, then the grill will be silver in color. And from a distance there is no difference between the body color(medium grey) and the grill.

So grill will not stand out at all. Might be a deal breaker for few.

But in active versions I think it will be Black in color. Still better be sure on that.
download2live is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
My Mahindra Bolero DI: A tough nut, but not as tough as I would have liked. EDIT -Stolen & Recovered rahul4321 Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports 102 26th May 2017 00:16
Figo TDCi Titanium Vs Punto MJD Emotion Pack - 2 Diesel cars, 1 buyer - Tough Choice rahulmd Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports 103 20th May 2014 16:58
Swift VDI+ABS or Fiat Punto MJD or New Fabia 1.2 Diesel. Edit- Booked Fiat Punto MJD magnanimousdude Hatchbacks 59 27th October 2010 13:18
Maruti Swift Vxi or Ldi? EDIT: Bought Ldi Gurudatta Nayak Hatchbacks 27 14th May 2008 20:09


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 20:23.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks