Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > What Car? > Hatchbacks

Old 18th May 2010, 16:30   #46
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by download2live View Post
I
Medium Grey? It simply does not do justice to this car. Robs it of its sheen.
True. Sadly I have that color. I think installing darker alloys may help in improving the looks with this color, right?
clevermax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th May 2010, 16:42   #47
BHPian

Hey guys..I'm in a similar situation.looking for a hatch at 6 lakhs.haven't test driven the punto..m pretty sold on the swift zxi..was in love with it since school.I was also thinking of the I 20 but after reading this,my confusion has increased.can some one weigh out +ve's n -ve's.
manjith_pm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th May 2010, 16:55   #48
BHPian

Yes I agree that red looks Hot on the punto, but i have felt that the looks of the red vary widely depending on the lighting conditions.

During or post sunsets the red punto is a stunner, but it appars a bit too bright in broad daylight IMO. I like it but I am not very sure if it would start seeming too loud to me, over the long period, for which i will be owning the car.

I am giving the highest preference to the white one, since i personally value elegance/sober-ness over boldness.
SilkDrive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th May 2010, 17:14   #49
Senior - BHPian

Red would mean lot of care and if you plan to maintain that consistent shining look, that too over a period of 5-6 years, that'd call for a lot of hard work - regular washing, waxing, polishing, may be even yearly/bi-annual teflon coating after 2-3 years. And do the scratches just stand out loud on dark colours or what!
fine69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th May 2010, 17:28   #50
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by clevermax View Post
True. Sadly I have that color. I think installing darker alloys may help in improving the looks with this color, right?
The other day i saw a white E-pack with the OE alloys painted matte black. It looked KILLER..! (Will take a pic if i see it again)
You could think about doing that but i'm not sure how it will look on a grey car.
fiat_tarun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th May 2010, 17:29   #51
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiat_tarun View Post
The other day i saw a white E-pack with the OE alloys painted matte black. It looked KILLER..! (Will take a pic if i see it again)
You could think about doing that but i'm not sure how it will look on a grey car.
Wow! try to get the pics. I too was thinking of this mod.
arun1100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th May 2010, 17:31   #52
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiat_tarun View Post
On a second thought, I think it will look like black steel wheels without wheel covers from a distance - will spoil the look. The OE wheel covers are anyway decent.
Old 18th May 2010, 17:31   #53
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Rather I will say try to get the front grill painted black. But before that take a hard look at active version(medium grey). I think it will have black color grill. See if you like it that. If you find that good you can get the grill painted.

The worst case is Punto active Black. That comes with a black grill. All you get to see is a FIAT badge. Will appeal to very few people.

I have seen that this difference in grill color between different versions of Punto is not highlighted by the sales guys. Should be done.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fine69 View Post
Red would mean lot of care and if you plan to maintain that consistent shining look, that too over a period of 5-6 years, that'd call for a lot of hard work - regular washing, waxing, polishing, may be even yearly/bi-annual teflon coating after 2-3 years. And do the scratches just stand out loud on dark colours or what!
With exception of white and silver this is the case with almost all the colors which are on darker side. Red or not.
download2live is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th May 2010, 17:33   #54
BANNED

Quote:
On a second thought, I think it will look like black steel wheels without wheel covers from a distance - will spoil the look. The OE wheel covers are anyway decent.
True. Have you seen a Emotion Punto with out the OE wheel covers? With just black wheel. Does it look good?
arun1100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th May 2010, 17:34   #55
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by download2live View Post
Rather I will say try to get the front grill painted black. But before that take a hard look at active version(medium grey). I think it will have black color grill. See if you like it that. If you find that good you can get the grill painted.
The grill is already black, but I was contemplating on getting it painted silver just like Emotion grill - I have seen few Med. Grey GPs and their grill in silver looked better than black.

Quote:
Originally Posted by arun1100 View Post
True. Have you seen a Emotion Punto with out the OE wheel covers? With just black wheel. Does it look good?
Hmm.. Many won't like that look, but I tend to like it.

Last edited by clevermax : 18th May 2010 at 17:36.
Old 18th May 2010, 17:38   #56
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The grill is already black, but I was contemplating on getting it painted silver just like Emotion grill - I have seen few Med. Grey GPs and their grill in silver looked better than black.
Well then I am quiet. I liked the Black grill on medium grey. That way at least it stood out. Silver grill simply does not stand out on medium grey when you look at it from distance. Each to his own taste.
download2live is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th May 2010, 12:40   #57
Senior - BHPian

Silkdrive .
I would suggest just go with the car which your heart says "YES" , and i guess we are felling the same for PUNTO. Just go for the gande and rest of the things will fall into place, don't worry about it .
And regarding the Diesel or petrol , i was also in the same position few months back and decided that as i will be keeping the car for a long time and not sure what will be my running after 2 years , i decided for MJD.
Hope to see your Punto initial ownership thread soon :-) .
Cheers
Schoudhury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th May 2010, 13:52   #58
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schoudhury View Post
Silkdrive .
I would suggest just go with the car which your heart says "YES" , and i guess we are felling the same for PUNTO. Just go for the gande and rest of the things will fall into place, don't worry about it .
And regarding the Diesel or petrol , i was also in the same position few months back and decided that as i will be keeping the car for a long time and not sure what will be my running after 2 years , i decided for MJD.
Hope to see your Punto initial ownership thread soon :-) .
Cheers
Thanks for the suggestions buddy!

Yes, i am certainly more inclined towards a diesel engine. And coming to the initial ownership report, i regret to say that you would have to wait at least a couple of months since i am waiting for some investments to mature.

(Actually, the reason for the wait is that, I do not want to increase the loan amount beyond a certain limit, and thanks to some very kool threads in teamBHP that helped me decide that limit based on my current income and my other onligatory expenses. I am now assured that i am taking a financially safe and matured decision. This community ROCKS !! )
Old 19th May 2010, 13:53   #59
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
No.. This looked really good. When i saw the car from a distance, i thought they were aftermarket ones and went closer to get a look at what brand. To my surprise they were the original Punto alloys, painted matte black.

I hope i see that car sometime again, will take pics for sure..
fiat_tarun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th June 2010, 16:31   #60
BHPian

Smile Here goes a short test drive Experience of the Punto !

I did a TD of the Punto MJD just 10 minutes back and here goes the reports of the fresh experience.

I had registered on the website for a test drive. The response, this time, was really prompt and it was quite apparent that Fiat is pushing this product well.

Earlier I had booked a TD from Malik cars (but not via the website) and they failed to provide one even though I had allowed the SP to call the shots for the choice of time for the appointment. And moreover it was NOT a door-step TD request.

This time, the TD was booked with Concorde Moors and they turned up with the car at my office right on time. The SP's knowledge on the product was not very good but my expectations were not that high either.

As already mentioned a zillion times in this forum, the car was rock steady at 3 digit speeds and every time i looked at the speedo, I was surprised seeing that it is reporting a considerably higher value than what i had guessed/felt. I was driving on the Nehru Outer Ring Road off GacchiBowli and it is a good stretch to test speeds. The ride quality was great. The booming noise and the tyre noise at speeds above 110 Kph but was not disturbing by any standards and nothing that an ICE can't mask. (Oh, did I mention that I had take it to 140+ and that too I am a newbie driver ).

I just wanted to check that the vehicle could pull cleanly from rest without the use of accelerator, by just letting go of the clutch (a boon for B2B traffic). To my surprise the SP commented that it can engage upto the 5th gear without stalling, even without touching the accelerator . I thought he was bluffing, but to my utter surprise i have actually tested it upto the 3 gear and its true ! (However, i did not try to pick up speed from there and i downshifted to first before using the accelerator. Otherwise, i guess it would have stalled).

I must admit that i am even more poisoned by the punto now and I have finalized my choice. No other thoughts now!

The OTR for Punto MJD Active is 6.07 lacs here in Hyderabad. The current offers are:

1. Free Insurance
2. Free Extended Warranty for 1 year.
3. Free Road side Assistance for 50 months.
4. Corporate discount (12K bucks for my company).
5. Free Basic Accessories (mudflaps, mats, purfume etc.)
5. I talked to the SP about 3M sunfilm and he agreed to put it for free.

The OTR along with the sunfilm would come down to 5.71 Lacs.
Is this a good offer I am getting o should i try to squeeze out something more?

Last edited by SilkDrive : 4th June 2010 at 16:33.