Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > What Car? > Hatchbacks

View Poll Results: Which Euro Diesel hatch is an optimised all rounder?
VW Polo TDI highline 51 32.48%
Fiat Punto 1.3 MJD FGT Emotion Pack 106 67.52%
Voters: 157. You may not vote on this poll

Old 18th June 2010, 23:06   #46
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chethan B G View Post
My take on these two cars:

Interiors Fit/Finish ------------Polo
Interior color combination -----Polo
Paint quality ------------------Polo
AC efficiency ----------------Polo
Gear Shift -------------------Polo
Driving comfort --------------Polo
Ground Clarence ------------Polo

I feel that there is not much to differentiate between these two cars.

If you like the feel - Polo
If you like the features - Punto

If you leave both feel and features - both are excellent cars!
Personally, i do not believe in purchase cost interfering with our analysis.

I voted for Polo.
Though I broadly agree with you on most points, there are some issues. For example the Punto's ground clearance is 171mm compared to the Polo's 168mm (So there is no way the Polo can score "higher"). I am not sure how you claim that the Paint quality is better, I might be less informed here, so humour me.

Putting two categories for the interiors is superfluous, but yes, the Polo is better in terms of the interiors.

When two cars are nearly equal on most counts (and I truly love the Polo too), I think it is imperative to bring price into the equation, but I understand that was your personal opinion and that's perfectly fine.
Amartya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th June 2010, 08:47   #47
Senior - BHPian

Arrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amartya View Post
Though I broadly agree with you on most points, there are some issues. For example the Punto's ground clearance is 171mm compared to the Polo's 168mm (So there is no way the Polo can score "higher"). I am not sure how you claim that the Paint quality is better, I might be less informed here, so humour me.

Putting two categories for the interiors is superfluous, but yes, the Polo is better in terms of the interiors.

When two cars are nearly equal on most counts (and I truly love the Polo too), I think it is imperative to bring price into the equation, but I understand that was your personal opinion and that's perfectly fine.
Numbers may tell us a different story. But Polo's ground Clarence is better. I have seen it myself. But Punto is much better then Figo or a fiesta for that matter. It does not bottom out if 3 adults sit in the back seat. But my experience is restricted to a couple of TDs and driving a relatives car as far as Punto is concerned.

Paint quality is better in Polo in my opinion. Many of my friends also has the same opinion. But I am not saying that the paint quality in Punto is bad either. This statement is only in comparison.

Putting two categories for the interiors is NOT superfluous. Many a times, we overlook the color combination selected by the manufacturer and do not analyse it separately. It makes a lot of difference. IMO, if Punto had a better color combination, interiors would have looked more pleasant, roomy and airy. Quality of materials and fit/finish is a different thing all together.

Every thing here is my personal opinion. I do not think we are debating on this, just because I own a Polo and you own a different one. I am sure that we are both more matured than that. When it comes to Pricing, I believe that both cars are VFM in their own way.

In a larger prospective, I do not think that there is so much difference between these two cars, which will make us vouch for a particular one. Smaller things will depend on individual tastes and requirements, and hence the decision.

Last edited by Chethan B G : 19th June 2010 at 08:55.
Chethan B G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th June 2010, 10:25   #48
Senior - BHPian

@Chetan, I've some queries about the parameters given by you:
- Driving comfort: how can you give Polo the advantage when you've given the other related params like Lower Turbo lag, Ride quality, Steering to Punto?
- you've given both Safety and Handling "equal", but the GP has EBD and seatbelt pretensioners and these are not available in Polo?
- the GP is a better-equipped car yet you've given the Creature comfort parameter "equal"?

Totally agree with you on points like colour combo/material selection etc.

Last edited by sandeepmdas : 19th June 2010 at 10:30.
sandeepmdas is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 19th June 2010, 10:33   #49
Senior - BHPian

Thanks for all your inputs bhpians.

Last edited by sidindica : 19th June 2010 at 10:34.
sidindica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th June 2010, 11:20   #50
BHPian

In a call between a great build with a harvester's engine and decent build with a gr8 engine, i would choose the latter... My vote reflects the same.
k!ng_@thur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th June 2010, 22:12   #51
BHPian

Hi Sid,

This is my opinion based on your criteria on selecting either of the 2 cars :

Good blend of price to features ratio - PUNTO,
Ride - What I understood from reading various posts in Team-BHP is both Punto and Polo would score equal on this criteria
Road handling - Again as mentioned above both are same
Fuel efficiency - Polo
Quality of after sales service - Polo in unknown, Punto is with Tata A** and reading different reviews in this forum, it is good and improving but not that great
Front space and comfort - Front space IMO is not that bad in any of the cars (including Swift, Beat because in these 2 cars altleast people complain of very less/uncomfortable rear space)
Build quality - Punto and (almost the same) Polo
Nice finish - Polo
Decent performance - Well this is a bit confusing to me. What is meant by performance - is it mileage, is it A**, is it FE or handling?
Daily drive 50-60 kms with 70-30 city highway driving, in typical Delhi traffic - As per the feedback of respective owners of these 2 cars in Team-BHP, as you have mentioned the crieteria is withing City traffic, for me it would be POLO
AvonA7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th June 2010, 02:06   #52
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AvonA7 View Post
Hi Sid,

This is my opinion based on your criteria on selecting either of the 2 cars :

Good blend of price to features ratio - PUNTO,
Ride - What I understood from reading various posts in Team-BHP is both Punto and Polo would score equal on this criteria
Road handling - Again as mentioned above both are same
Fuel efficiency - Polo
Quality of after sales service - Polo in unknown, Punto is with Tata A** and reading different reviews in this forum, it is good and improving but not that great
Front space and comfort - Front space IMO is not that bad in any of the cars (including Swift, Beat because in these 2 cars altleast people complain of very less/uncomfortable rear space)
Build quality - Punto and (almost the same) Polo
Nice finish - Polo
Decent performance - Well this is a bit confusing to me. What is meant by performance - is it mileage, is it A**, is it FE or handling?
Daily drive 50-60 kms with 70-30 city highway driving, in typical Delhi traffic - As per the feedback of respective owners of these 2 cars in Team-BHP, as you have mentioned the crieteria is withing City traffic, for me it would be POLO
Have you driven either of these cars yourself or you are giving your opinion based on other T-BHPians' reviews?
Rock 'n' rollz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th June 2010, 08:21   #53
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rock 'n' rollz View Post
Have you driven either of these cars yourself or you are giving your opinion based on other T-BHPians' reviews?
I have driven these 2 cars and it was TD, which can give the feel on interiors, looks, comfort etc. Feedback for Mileage, service and long term performance is definitely based on reviews and feedbacks of other members.
AvonA7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th June 2010, 11:56   #54
Senior - BHPian

Arrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by sidindica View Post
I am eagerly waiting for your review on both these cars. I am sure that it will be a good one!

I think no other cars in the market today, ignites so much of passion!!
Chethan B G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th July 2010, 23:51   #55
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sidindica View Post
Hi Sid, has your friend made his choice?
StarrySky is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 26th July 2010, 16:13   #56
BHPian

This thread has been idle for a bit too long for a question as important as the one it contains. Many of us are waiting your revew on both these cars, Sid, and the final decision of your friend.
SilkDrive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th January 2012, 14:08   #57
BHPian

Default Re: Polo TDI Highline or Punto 1.3 MJD FGT Emotion Pack?

Voted for Polo. This comes from my personal experience of driving this car. The major draw-back listed (3 pot engine) is not too much of inconvenience to me, considering the torque and the power (which is almost similar to MJD). I would suggest you take a long test drive to really understand the quantify the claimed demerits of 3 cylinders.

What I like: Amazing build quality. Not a single inconsistent gap. Fuel efficiency (I got 22 KMPL on the first highway run). Road manners - Stable and Composed. Brakes - mine is not ABS, but the brakes are just amazing. Telescopic steering - For me it matters. Damn good to look at - in picture and on road.

Nothing particularly biased against Fiat, but my few visits to the showrooms have put me off. And, if that is my first impression, I will not actually risk recommending a product, which I rejected for this very reason.
ruchir911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th January 2012, 20:32   #58
Senior - BHPian

Bumping up an old thread, between the Polo 1.2 Highline, Skoda Fabia 1.2 TDI Elegance and the Punto 90HP all in the same price range (+/- 25k) which one would you pick as a city and occasional highway commuter.
shashank.nk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th January 2012, 23:00   #59
BHPian

My take is Punto 90HP as i own one. Needless to say more as everyone in this forum known about its legendary handling and ride quality.
Sree_hari82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th January 2012, 23:16   #60
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shashank.nk View Post
Bumping up an old thread, between the Polo 1.2 Highline, Skoda Fabia 1.2 TDI Elegance and the Punto 90HP all in the same price range (+/- 25k) which one would you pick as a city and occasional highway commuter.
I really like the look of Polo but I wouldn't settle for a 3 pot. It's only logical that it will be way noisier (eventually) and vibrate more.
Relativity is offline   Reply With Quote