Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > What Car? > Hatchbacks


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 7th June 2010, 11:23   #16
BHPian
 
Topolino's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Udaipur
Posts: 244
Thanked: 61 Times
Default

Though the Wagon R has below average looks, but it is a very practical car. I have driven my friends new Wagon R for around 500 km and here are my few observations.
The positives of car are:
1. Spacious interior - has ample head, front and rear leg room. I am 6' tall and I didn't feel cramped either in front seat or back seat. I set driving seat for my size even then there was sufficient leg room for another 6 footer behind. Seats are also quite comfortable with adequate under thigh support.
2. Slick and short gear shifts, clutch is light and has short pedal range.
3. Easy to maneuver in city traffic with good all round visibility, easy to reverse even in tight spots. Safe and driveable in highways too, if speeds are kept below 90 kmph.
3. Fuel efficienct - returned an average of ~18 kmpl with AC ON on 80% highway and 20% city driving with 4 persons on board.

Though the 3 cylinder engine is bit noisy. but is rev friendly. I haven't observed any power drop or sluggishness in my entire drive, even on uphills car pulled well without any strain.

So if I have to choose between Wagon-R or Santro. I would have certainly gone for Wagon-R and same is my advice to you.
Topolino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th June 2010, 11:25   #17
BHPian
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Pune
Posts: 280
Thanked: 68 Times
Default

The ARAI certified mileage for i10 1.1 iRDE petrol is 19.69. It is given on the Hyundai India site.

Bootspace of both the new Wagon R and i10 is nothing great. Santro and Estillo score better on this parameter.

Pradeep

Quote:
Originally Posted by rohan_iitr View Post
My bad, 19.81 kmpl is indeed the ARAI certified mileage for i10 1.2 kappa BS4.

I am not able to find the ARAI certified mileage for i10 1.1 irde BS4, but I'm sure it would be comparable to this. Could someone post the official figure please.



While the previous generation WagonR was a very practical car with its huge boot, the new WagonR has lost its USP.

Rohan
pradkumar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th June 2010, 12:57   #18
BHPian
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 100
Thanked: 2 Times
Default

If you plan to crunch a lot of miles, Spark LPG is the best bet in this segment. Way better than any of the other LPG options on offer, and lot of tiny but significant improvements on the well proven Matiz.

Between Wagon R and i10 IRDE, I would go for the Wagon R, much better engine, and most recently updated.
u_chill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th June 2010, 15:13   #19
BHPian
 
nurni76's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Gurgaon/BLR
Posts: 881
Thanked: 328 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rohan_iitr View Post

While the previous generation WagonR was a very practical car with its huge boot, the new WagonR has lost its USP.

Rohan
If the boot size is the only measure of practicality, then yes I agree with you. However, the new Wagon R has much more Leg space both at the front and the rear. The 60:40 split seats offer good practicality when you need to stuff in extra. In addition there are more cubby holes and storage spaces (under the front passenger seat) offering great practicality.

Quote:
Originally Posted by extreme_torque View Post
How is it more practical than competing car, more specifically the Beat or the Santro? Although I havent driven the new Wagon-R, I found the tinny overall build to be even worse than the older Wagon-R. Santro is much better build and my cousin's bruised and battered 90k's run Santro is still relatively rattle free.
Have you checked out the new Wagon R? It is clearly much better built compared to the older one. The interiors offer more quality and space than Santro. The Santro may look more sturdy, but the Wagon Rs quality is clearly a couple of notches more due to its recent upgrade.

@Jayd: Since you have specifically asked between the santro and the Wagon R, I feel clearly the choice has to be WagonR. Better engine, better interior space and quality, more features and ofcourse a newer platform.
nurni76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th June 2010, 15:46   #20
BHPian
 
rohan_iitr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 992
Thanked: 401 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by u_chill View Post
Between Wagon R and i10 IRDE, I would go for the Wagon R, much better engine, and most recently updated.
i10's irde engine has also been updated recently. The new BS4 engine is more powerful (more bhp) and is more fuel efficient.

Rohan
rohan_iitr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th June 2010, 21:46   #21
Senior - BHPian
 
JayD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Cochin! At last
Posts: 3,195
Thanked: 1,996 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCEite View Post
If you are looking at practicality - look no further than the new WagonR. Its clearly a generation ahead and of the Santro and feels a more grown up car.
Do also check out the Hyundai i10 and Chevrolet Beat/Spark.

Happy city motoring!
Yep, am more or less decided on the wagonR. Will take a TD tomorrow and decide.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rohan_iitr View Post
i10 has ARAI certified mileage of 19.8 kmpl, which is best in class. Please don't go by hearsay.

Rohan
The i10 1.2 is out of my budget. I'm not too interested in the 1.1, as it costs the same as the wagonr, but has lesser equipment. (IIRC, the era is the range topping 1.1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by supremeBaleno View Post
@JayD, you own a big line-up of cars. Instead of buying another hatch, why don't you get one of them (SS80 or i20) to Chennai and use it during your time here ? Infact, you could even have your NHC here - Chennai is not that bad with traffic, if you know how to avoid rush-hour.
He he! That is the question that most ppl are asking me, but the thing is that the i20 is needed at home, as we have some functions coming up, and also, its the only diesel car we have, so its used for long trips extensively.

The NHC is what dad uses, and also, i'm new to my job, and don't wanst to create a scene driving a big saloon to work.

The SS80 is more like a museum piece to me. Its just a fun weekend car. I've spent too much time effort and money, to make it in concours condition, right down to the last badge. The last thing i want is some damn auto guy running me off the road, or a street urchin drawing all over it.!

Quote:
Originally Posted by extreme_torque View Post
How is it more practical than competing car, more specifically the Beat or the Santro? Although I havent driven the new Wagon-R, I found the tinny overall build to be even worse than the older Wagon-R. Santro is much better build and my cousin's bruised and battered 90k's run Santro is still relatively rattle free.

@Jayd: If Beat is out of the question than I would suggest either the Santro or i10 simply because they are better build cars than Maruti's. I would also suggest you to have a test drive of the Beat again and see if you like it. Apart from the low seating position, overall its a much much better car than the competition around. Its new gen so would be safer as well. We still have no safety data for the Wagon-R and I am afraid we wont have it ever.
Yes E_T, the santro has good build quality, which is one of the primary reasons why i'm still considering it. Some of my friends have santros which have crossed a lac and still run very well.

Lemme see how good the build of the new wagonr is. This month's autocar is all praise for the wagon. Hope its good.


The beat is certainly not in consideration. I was put off the minute i sat in it, and moreover, i want a sober, serious looking car this time.

Last edited by JayD : 7th June 2010 at 21:51.
JayD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th June 2010, 21:51   #22
Senior - BHPian
 
JayD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Cochin! At last
Posts: 3,195
Thanked: 1,996 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topolino View Post
Though the Wagon R has below average looks, but it is a very practical car. I have driven my friends new Wagon R for around 500 km and here are my few observations.
The positives of car are:
1. Spacious interior - has ample head, front and rear leg room. I am 6' tall and I didn't feel cramped either in front seat or back seat. I set driving seat for my size even then there was sufficient leg room for another 6 footer behind. Seats are also quite comfortable with adequate under thigh support.
2. Slick and short gear shifts, clutch is light and has short pedal range.
3. Easy to maneuver in city traffic with good all round visibility, easy to reverse even in tight spots. Safe and driveable in highways too, if speeds are kept below 90 kmph.
3. Fuel efficienct - returned an average of ~18 kmpl with AC ON on 80% highway and 20% city driving with 4 persons on board.

Though the 3 cylinder engine is bit noisy. but is rev friendly. I haven't observed any power drop or sluggishness in my entire drive, even on uphills car pulled well without any strain.

So if I have to choose between Wagon-R or Santro. I would have certainly gone for Wagon-R and same is my advice to you.

Thanks a ton for the detailed review topolino. Sounds good to me, especially the FE. I guess i can expect around 15 in the city then


Quote:
Originally Posted by pradkumar View Post
The ARAI certified mileage for i10 1.1 iRDE petrol is 19.69. It is given on the Hyundai India site.

Bootspace of both the new Wagon R and i10 is nothing great. Santro and Estillo score better on this parameter.

Pradeep
Bootspace is not too important to me. passenger comfort is. Anyways, the rear seats and the boot won't be used at the same time 99% of the time, i can always fold them then.

Quote:
Originally Posted by u_chill View Post
If you plan to crunch a lot of miles, Spark LPG is the best bet in this segment. Way better than any of the other LPG options on offer, and lot of tiny but significant improvements on the well proven Matiz.

Between Wagon R and i10 IRDE, I would go for the Wagon R, much better engine, and most recently updated.
The saprk LPG was considered, but other than the matiz part, the dealer themselves claimed that i'd get about 10-11 in the city. Not worth it then.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nurni76 View Post
If the boot size is the only measure of practicality, then yes I agree with you. However, the new Wagon R has much more Leg space both at the front and the rear. The 60:40 split seats offer good practicality when you need to stuff in extra. In addition there are more cubby holes and storage spaces (under the front passenger seat) offering great practicality.



Have you checked out the new Wagon R? It is clearly much better built compared to the older one. The interiors offer more quality and space than Santro. The Santro may look more sturdy, but the Wagon Rs quality is clearly a couple of notches more due to its recent upgrade.

@Jayd: Since you have specifically asked between the santro and the Wagon R, I feel clearly the choice has to be WagonR. Better engine, better interior space and quality, more features and ofcourse a newer platform.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rohan_iitr View Post
i10's irde engine has also been updated recently. The new BS4 engine is more powerful (more bhp) and is more fuel efficient.

Rohan

Will check out the wagonr tomorrow, and take a detailed TD. Also, since you guys recommend the i10 so strongly, i'll take another td of that too.

Will have to take a call soon.
JayD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th June 2010, 10:14   #23
BHPian
 
rohan_iitr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 992
Thanked: 401 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayD View Post
The i10 1.2 is out of my budget. I'm not too interested in the 1.1, as it costs the same as the wagonr, but has lesser equipment. (IIRC, the era is the range topping 1.1)
i10 1.1 comes in 3 variants - D-lite, Era and Magna (Top variant).

i10 1.2 comes in 3 variants - Magna, Sportz and Asta (Top variant).

Note that there is a 1.1 Magna as well as 1.2 Magna.

Magna's equipment list is more or less similar to Maruti's Vxi except for rear defogger, washer and wiper. IIRC, ABS is optional in all variants.

WagonR's equipment list is better than the i10 variant at similar price point. I suggest that you go for Vxi with ABS and airbags.

Rohan
rohan_iitr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th June 2010, 11:21   #24
Senior - BHPian
 
gemithomas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Trivandrum
Posts: 2,364
Thanked: 136 Times
Default

Get the Wagon R. I assume its not a very long stay at Chennai. You'll get very good resale value too.
gemithomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th June 2010, 11:04   #25
GTO
Team-BHP Support
 
GTO's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Bombay
Posts: 47,705
Thanked: 89,156 Times
Default

JayD,

I realise you've already checked it off your list, but I do think the Chevy Beat meets your requirements the best. Good build, nice interiors, excellent ride quality (much better than the Santro) and ample refinement. The VFM pricetag is a bonus.

If not, its either the new WagonR for you (Maruti, fuel efficient, good space, improved ride & handling, a safe buy) or the used market (plenty of Swifts available).
GTO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th June 2010, 09:11   #26
Senior - BHPian
 
JayD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Cochin! At last
Posts: 3,195
Thanked: 1,996 Times
Default

Was away with work for a week, so car hunting came to a pause, now back in form!


Quote:
Originally Posted by rohan_iitr View Post
i10 1.1 comes in 3 variants - D-lite, Era and Magna (Top variant).

i10 1.2 comes in 3 variants - Magna, Sportz and Asta (Top variant).

Note that there is a 1.1 Magna as well as 1.2 Magna.

Magna's equipment list is more or less similar to Maruti's Vxi except for rear defogger, washer and wiper. IIRC, ABS is optional in all variants.

WagonR's equipment list is better than the i10 variant at similar price point. I suggest that you go for Vxi with ABS and airbags.

Rohan
I'd love to go for the one with the ABS, but i think i'll have to setle for the VXi, thanks to the Vitamin M factor!

Quote:
Originally Posted by gemithomas View Post
Get the Wagon R. I assume its not a very long stay at Chennai. You'll get very good resale value too.
Ha ha! Good point there Gemi! That had crossed my mind several times too! One of the primary reasons why all GM vehicles were dropped off the list instantly!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
JayD,

I realise you've already checked it off your list, but I do think the Chevy Beat meets your requirements the best. Good build, nice interiors, excellent ride quality (much better than the Santro) and ample refinement. The VFM pricetag is a bonus.

If not, its either the new WagonR for you (Maruti, fuel efficient, good space, improved ride & handling, a safe buy) or the used market (plenty of Swifts available).
Thanks for dropping in here gto! The beat was something i wanted initially, but on closer look, i didn't quite like the ergonomics of the car. Also, the engine felt average to me, not too free revving, and resale could be a problem.


As of now, its the WagonR for me. Used oprions are also in consideration, provided i get a good car, like you did. The problem is that i don't have time currently to go car hunting, thanks to my job. My main choice in the used segment was a nice old shape zen MPFi, but finding one in good condition seems to be almost impossible.




Meanwhile, managed to do a TD of the WagonR. Will update this thread soon.

Last edited by JayD : 16th June 2010 at 09:14.
JayD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd June 2010, 20:58   #27
BHPian
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: World
Posts: 773
Thanked: 320 Times
Default

If you can stretch your budget to 4.5 L ,Ritz is a good option! Only thing it doesn't have a that price point ( Lxi variant) is the front power window! Ritz is a fantastic city car!
fz_rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd June 2010, 21:04   #28
BHPian
 
Arkin evoisrevo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: KA03; AP02
Posts: 680
Thanked: 108 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by fz_rider View Post
If you can stretch your budget to 4.5 L ,Ritz is a good option! Only thing it doesn't have a that price point ( Lxi variant) is the front power window! Ritz is a fantastic city car!
+1 to that, Mr.Reddy!

However, my vote goes for an i10 1.1 ABS.
BTW, are airbags optional on the magna1.1?
Arkin evoisrevo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd June 2010, 09:39   #29
BHPian
 
Lightening-Fast's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 251
Thanked: 10 Times
Default

Beat all the way mate. Your budget allows you to buy Chevy Beat. Then why not make a good choice. Since the launch of Beat, 1.2L market has completely shaken up. I have driven the car and it handles great. It has great looks and good value for money. I think Beat LT would be over your budget, but give Beat LS a close look.
Lightening-Fast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd July 2010, 00:20   #30
Senior - BHPian
 
JayD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Cochin! At last
Posts: 3,195
Thanked: 1,996 Times
Default Thanks!! :)

Thanks a ton for the help guys! The purchase has been made! Will update the details soon. To put it briefly, it is something very different from what i had in mind!
JayD is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
From a hot hatch to a HOTTER hatch : A pre-worshipped '02 Fiat Palio 1.6 GTX swiftnfurious Long-Term Ownership Reviews 70 13th July 2017 10:35
Used AT Sedan Dilemma- Corolla vs Verna vs City JLN What Car? 7 2nd August 2010 16:42
Dilemma - New premium Hatch or Used mid-size Sedan? mail4ajo What Car? 10 7th April 2010 13:16


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 19:23.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks