Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > What Car? > Hatchbacks

Old 18th June 2010, 14:59   #1
BHPian

Default Car for grandparents, figo 1.2 titanium or Ritz zxi

My grandparents asked me to purchase a car for them, they do not want to spend more than 5 lakhs, I have to now decide between the Figo 1.2 titanium and the Ritz 1.2 zxi.

My grandfather is tall, about 6 feet and will usually be sitting at the rear, the car will be driven by a driver on most occasions. I want the car to have maximum safety features and so am only considering the top end models, Rear leg room should be plenty which is why the swift has not been considered.
The prices offered are;
figo- 4.75 lakhs on road, faridabad.
Ritz- 5.10 lakhs on road, faridabad.

Please help me decide, I feel that ingress and egress would be easier for them in the ritz, however the figo's rear leg room and width of the rear seat is more, it accommodates three passengers more comfortably, the boot is bigger and the ac is quite definitely superior to the Ritz.

The ritz apparently has a better average and the engine seems superior in terms of performance as well, the figo handles better and gearshift quality as well as steering feedback is miles ahead of the Ritz.

The Ritz has more features(alloys, rear power windows, fog lamps, tilt adjustable steering etc) and is pricier, the figo is about 35k cheaper(it has bluetooth which would never be used, my grandparents actually prefer the manual windows, something about emergency situations).

The car will always be driven within the city, Maruti has a better service network and might be cheaper to maintain.

I'm confused, I seem to prefer the Ritz but whenever I look at the Figo I feel it's the car to buy. Please do help.
sukrit7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th June 2010, 15:14   #2
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sukrit7 View Post
Please help me decide, I feel that ingress and egress would be easier for them in the ritz,
Buying a car for grandparents, this should be the main criterion. IMO, they would be much more comfortable with the high set seating position of the Ritz.
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th June 2010, 15:14   #3
Senior - BHPian

Go for the Ritz ZXi. Period.
DRIV3R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th June 2010, 15:52   #4
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
Buying a car for grandparents, this should be the main criterion. IMO, they would be much more comfortable with the high set seating position of the Ritz.
Agreed, however, is this the only criteria to be concerned with ?
Old 18th June 2010, 15:58   #5
BHPian

If easy access is the criteria then the Ritz is really good but the ride at the rear is a bit bumpy. This is my experience on the Vxi. I dont know how it would be on the Zxi with wider tyres
benzinblut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th June 2010, 16:05   #6
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by benzinblut View Post
If easy access is the criteria then the Ritz is really good but the ride at the rear is a bit bumpy. This is my experience on the Vxi. I dont know how it would be on the Zxi with wider tyres
It was alright, not too bumpy.
3 people don't fit in too well though.
Old 18th June 2010, 16:18   #7
Senior - BHPian

Figo would make some sense if it were the 1.4 TDCi. The 1.2L petrol doesn't simply impress, wrt the Ritz's K series 1.2L engine.
DRIV3R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th June 2010, 16:30   #8
BHPian

Safety - Equal
Overall space - Figo
Airy Interiors - Figo
Ride quality - Figo
Seating comfort (for older people) - Ritz
Ingress / Egress - Ritz
FE (Petrol) - Ritz
In-city practicality - Ritz (smaller overall profile)

In your case, Ritz would be the better buy, unless luggage space (Ritz ZXI has split folding rear seats though) + capacity for 3 passengers at the rear are key criteria, where the Figo trumps the Ritz.
spindoc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 18th June 2010, 16:41   #9
Senior - BHPian

Your grandparents would be utterly uncomfortable in the Ritz. The Ritz backseat is completely useless and the rear suspension is horrible when it comes to back seat riding for older people. Does not matter whether it is the Vxi or the Zxi the suspension remains the same. Wider tires only give you more grip, it is the suspension that is the culprit.

The figo has a much better suspension set up at the rear and the leg space is also more at the back.

If you are keen on the Maruti then the only car that should be considered is the new Wagon R. The back seat and the suspension system at the back is simply amazing. The highest variant is the vxi and airbags are an option. Alloys will not be missed by your grandparents and if you miss them aftermarket options are easily available.

The new version has the best rear leg room in the class and is very comfortable but strictly for 2 people. 3 are a tight fit.

Last edited by khoj : 18th June 2010 at 16:43.
khoj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th June 2010, 16:57   #10
Senior - BHPian

I think you should seriously look at the new WR. Don't take anybody's word for it, but just once take a test ride at the back. I have heard many good things about it, including decent suspension. VXi gets all bells and whistles and added safety features as well. Beaides, you save a lot of money compared to the Ritz, not to mention better FE and lower running costs.

Last edited by DCEite : 18th June 2010 at 16:58.
DCEite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th June 2010, 17:00   #11
Team-BHP Support

I cannot comment on the rear seat comfort of the Wagon R. I never sit there. But all old folks love my car for its ease in getting in and out.

If the new Wagon R suspension is as good as they say it is.
Then you must atleast try a TD before choosing any other car.
bblost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th June 2010, 17:22   #12
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sukrit7 View Post
My grandfather is tall, about 6 feet and will usually be sitting at the rear, the car will be driven by a driver on most occasions. I want the car to have maximum safety features and so am only considering the top end models, Rear leg room should be plenty.

The car will always be driven within the city, Maruti has a better service network and might be cheaper to maintain.
Since the car will be driven by driver and the rear seat comfort, leg room, space, ingress and egress, comfortable ride are your main concern why don't you consider Tata Indica Vista Aura+ or New Wagon-R Vxi with ABS and Air Bags. Both Tata and Maruti have good service network and are cheaper to maintain
Topolino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th June 2010, 17:28   #13
BHPian

Out of the two cars you have short-listed, I would suggest the Ritz.

The adv/disadv has been mentioned by others in the thread. But a point I would like to highlight is on the service. You cannot compare the MSIL service with Fords!

You dont want your grandparents to be waiting at service centres or the car not being delivered on time. So go for a car from the MSIL stable.
ajman28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th June 2010, 17:57   #14
BHPian

@sukrit7, my suggestions were only between the two cars you had listed. Else, I would recommend the Indica Vista Aura+ too, given the excellent rear seat comfort (unmatched leg and shoulder room), airy cabin and good ride quality. Luggage space, however, is quite similar to the Ritz.
spindoc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 18th June 2010, 18:28   #15
BHPian

I did take a drive of the wagonR but found the ride quality to be rather prone to bounce. Should I try a different test vehicle?

tata vehicles are not being considered because I don't want service hassles later. this is their car, I don't want to be responsible for the maintenance.

the wagonR high varient is about 4.5 on road whereas the ritz is 5.5,the figo 4.75.

I have read through all your comments again,keeping these in mind I will take another look at the wagonR.

meanwhile,pick between the figo and the wagonR,the price difference is about 30k.