Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > What Car? > Hatchbacks


Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 12th July 2010, 14:34   #46
Senior - BHPian
 
longhorn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Chennai
Posts: 1,154
Thanked: 290 Times
Default

Among the Punto 1.2, Vista Anniversary Edition and the Vista Drivetech4, I'd suggest you go with the Drivtech 4. Punto 1.2 basically lacks the punch and is best avoided. I'm not so sure regarding availability of spares for Fiat vehicles irrespective of what the showroom owner says. Fiats are great cars to drive but the workshop experience is so so. If anything goes wrong even during the warranty period, in case of crtical parts it may take more than a while to source the parts. Head says drivetech 4 heart says Punto, head aches are better that heart aches. Period.

Last edited by longhorn : 12th July 2010 at 14:35.
longhorn is offline  
Old 12th July 2010, 16:11   #47
BHPian
 
ByDesign's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 438
Thanked: 240 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by longhorn View Post
Among the Punto 1.2, Vista Anniversary Edition and the Vista Drivetech4, I'd suggest you go with the Drivtech 4. Punto 1.2 basically lacks the punch and is best avoided. I'm not so sure regarding availability of spares for Fiat vehicles irrespective of what the showroom owner says. Fiats are great cars to drive but the workshop experience is so so. If anything goes wrong even during the warranty period, in case of crtical parts it may take more than a while to source the parts. Head says drivetech 4 heart says Punto, head aches are better that heart aches. Period.
Nice post! And did I mention, the new Vista Anniversary Edition is also a Drivetech 4? Plus at just about 10k more than a 1.2 active punto, i'm getting all pure leather interiors, awsome in dash cd/aux/usb player AND alloy wheels! I have a small feeling this buy is coming to a close. Plus I'm 23 years old, I think it's a great start to a first car!
ByDesign is offline  
Old 12th July 2010, 21:10   #48
Senior - BHPian
 
Amartya's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Evanston
Posts: 1,699
Thanked: 376 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ByDesign View Post
Nice post! And did I mention, the new Vista Anniversary Edition is also a Drivetech 4? Plus at just about 10k more than a 1.2 active punto, i'm getting all pure leather interiors, awsome in dash cd/aux/usb player AND alloy wheels! I have a small feeling this buy is coming to a close. Plus I'm 23 years old, I think it's a great start to a first car!
Great! If you can spare the time, go for one more test-drive. While what you said about a first car is absolutely right, it is also important to not get swayed by interior trim and accessories (purely my personal opinion). All the things you mentioned can be retrofitted, at a later point of time, when the finances permit.

That being said, once you are satisfied about the dynamics and the engineering, you can pick up any car you like. Regardless of what you chose, I would opine that one more test-drive is imperative.
Amartya is offline  
Old 12th July 2010, 22:57   #49
Senior - BHPian
 
architect's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Ghaziabad, U. P
Posts: 1,271
Thanked: 443 Times
Default

ByDesign, if you enjoy driving and do manage to clock up some highway miles on this car, then go for the Punto 1.4 (not 1.2, the 1.2 is strictly a city car, in fact it's a better city car than the Punto 1.4 from what I've heard). Otherwise you should go for the Vista 1.2 Drivetech or whatever. By the way, isn't there a Vista 1.4 (Ignis or something?).

Also, when I recommended Punto Dynamic with ABS, I meant the 1.4 l engine.

One more thing, whatever calculation you do, you'll always end up driving atleast 20-30% more than that.

So, from my side, here's the choice:

Highway Usage more than 15%: Punto MJD > Punto 1.4 Emotion-pack > Punto 1.4 Dynamic with ABS > Vista 1.4 (?) Aura+

City Usage: Vista 1.2 Aura+ > Punto 1.2 Dynamic with ABS > Punto 1.2 Active.
architect is offline  
Old 13th July 2010, 13:45   #50
BHPian
 
ByDesign's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 438
Thanked: 240 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amartya View Post
Great! If you can spare the time, go for one more test-drive. While what you said about a first car is absolutely right, it is also important to not get swayed by interior trim and accessories (purely my personal opinion). All the things you mentioned can be retrofitted, at a later point of time, when the finances permit.

That being said, once you are satisfied about the dynamics and the engineering, you can pick up any car you like. Regardless of what you chose, I would opine that one more test-drive is imperative.
Roger that. I'll try and do another test drive next week. Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by architect View Post
ByDesign, if you enjoy driving and do manage to clock up some highway miles on this car, then go for the Punto 1.4 (not 1.2, the 1.2 is strictly a city car, in fact it's a better city car than the Punto 1.4 from what I've heard). Otherwise you should go for the Vista 1.2 Drivetech or whatever. By the way, isn't there a Vista 1.4 (Ignis or something?).

Also, when I recommended Punto Dynamic with ABS, I meant the 1.4 l engine.

One more thing, whatever calculation you do, you'll always end up driving atleast 20-30% more than that.

So, from my side, here's the choice:

Highway Usage more than 15%: Punto MJD > Punto 1.4 Emotion-pack > Punto 1.4 Dynamic with ABS > Vista 1.4 (?) Aura+

City Usage: Vista 1.2 Aura+ > Punto 1.2 Dynamic with ABS > Punto 1.2 Active.
I think the Punto 1.4 Emotion Pack/Emotion is the only one with ABS. I'm going to give the 1.2 Active and the full range of Indica's a complete re-evaluation next week and book my choice.
ByDesign is offline  
Old 13th July 2010, 17:08   #51
BHPian
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 605
Thanked: 187 Times
Default

first car, single occupant most of the time, youngster ... all points to the need for a sporty car. Why not Swift 1.2, since it has the best 1.2 petrol engine by a long mile?

Go for vista if space is paramount.
WindRide is offline  
Old 13th July 2010, 17:20   #52
BHPian
 
Newpunter's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 655
Thanked: 63 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by architect View Post
Also, when I recommended Punto Dynamic with ABS, I meant the 1.4 l engine.
Highway Usage more than 15%: Punto MJD > Punto 1.4 Emotion-pack > Punto 1.4 Dynamic with ABS > Vista 1.4 (?) Aura+

City Usage: Vista 1.2 Aura+ > Punto 1.2 Dynamic with ABS > Punto 1.2 Active.
As far as i know, there is no Punto 1.4 Dynamic and no Punto 1.2 with ABS.
Newpunter is offline  
Old 14th July 2010, 07:54   #53
BHPian
 
ByDesign's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 438
Thanked: 240 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by WindRide View Post
first car, single occupant most of the time, youngster ... all points to the need for a sporty car. Why not Swift 1.2, since it has the best 1.2 petrol engine by a long mile?

Go for vista if space is paramount.
Space isn't paramount, but the new drivetech 4 really impressed me. It's officially between the punto 1.2 and the indica. I think the punto's extremely sporty, the turning radius and poor A/C seem to bring it down in my books
ByDesign is offline  
Old 14th July 2010, 14:56   #54
BHPian
 
rudrah's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Navi Mumbai
Posts: 604
Thanked: 19 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ByDesign View Post
Space isn't paramount, but the new drivetech 4 really impressed me. It's officially between the punto 1.2 and the indica. I think the punto's extremely sporty, the turning radius and poor A/C seem to bring it down in my books
if you plan to keep the car for longer term, Punto would be the right choice. It would never fail to impress you even after couple of years and would still stand strong.

The AC issue has also sorted out some owners say...some faced it some didnt! Yeah turning radius is a let down, being a Palio user, its sometimes pain. But how many times you go for U turns

I'm not sure of Vista in terms on built, as my friend who owns a garage gave a thumbs down for Vista after it came from a accident. He said the panels seems very delicate. Else the car is great for the price it offers with safety too.

So check out all the factors between the 2 and go what suits you best! Good luck~
rudrah is offline  
Old 14th July 2010, 21:41   #55
Senior - BHPian
 
Amartya's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Evanston
Posts: 1,699
Thanked: 376 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ByDesign View Post
Space isn't paramount, but the new drivetech 4 really impressed me. It's officially between the punto 1.2 and the indica. I think the punto's extremely sporty, the turning radius and poor A/C seem to bring it down in my books
The A/C settings seem to have been a problem with a few 1.4 Punto's, those were later corrected with an ECU remap. I would actually rate the Punto's A/C as being very good (significantly better than the i20). Don't worry about the A/C, but the big turning radius will be an irritant on a few occasions. FEW mind you .
Amartya is offline  
Old 14th July 2010, 21:51   #56
BHPian
 
rajushank84's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: California, USA
Posts: 861
Thanked: 350 Times
Default

Vista's AC is not that great either.

If you had to choose between these two cars, Punto is miles ahead IMHO.

If you had to choose between these two cars.
rajushank84 is offline  
Old 14th July 2010, 21:57   #57
BHPian
 
ByDesign's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 438
Thanked: 240 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amartya View Post
The A/C settings seem to have been a problem with a few 1.4 Punto's, those were later corrected with an ECU remap. I would actually rate the Punto's A/C as being very good (significantly better than the i20). Don't worry about the A/C, but the big turning radius will be an irritant on a few occasions. FEW mind you .
Quote:
Originally Posted by rajushank84 View Post
Vista's AC is not that great either.

If you had to choose between these two cars, Punto is miles ahead IMHO.

If you had to choose between these two cars.
Thanks for the inputs guys, anyway, as mentioned earlier the 1.4's out of budget. So I'm thinking between the 1.2 active and the 2nd anniversary ed. indica. Just love the features on the vista anniversary. Just so good for 4.6 on road.
ByDesign is offline  
Old 15th July 2010, 00:14   #58
BHPian
 
vivekgk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Trivandrum
Posts: 652
Thanked: 378 Times
Default

Large turning radius can be frustrating, especially when you park. People may not make too many u-turns, but they do park a lot. Keep that in mind. Try and park the Punto into a tight space.

The Vista Safire BS4 is a good car. It's not very efficient due to heavy body, but it feels one of the most solid. There have been complaints about the AC performance on various threads here, but a recent test by Car India rated the Vista quite well on cooling front, better than the old Indica even. I guess they must've fixed the AC on the newer models.

The Punto on the other hand has much better build, and it's one of those cars will look good for a long time. Performance isn't great on the 1.2, but it scores well on other fronts.
vivekgk is offline  
Old 15th July 2010, 00:17   #59
BHPian
 
rajushank84's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: California, USA
Posts: 861
Thanked: 350 Times
Default

@vivekgk, if I recall correctly the Car India test rated Vista as "Hot" in the AC test.
rajushank84 is offline  
Old 16th July 2010, 18:03   #60
BHPian
 
ByDesign's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 438
Thanked: 240 Times
Default

Did anyone read these articles? Palio owners, do you know how true this stuff is? They're pretty old too.

Palio owners smile :-) Spares get cheaper | Indian Cars & Motorcycles Blog

Fiat Palio may be revamped, relaunched in India in 2010 | myCarQnA

Fiat Palio 2011 coming to Auto Expo in India | Indian Cars & Motorcycles Blog
ByDesign is offline  
Closed Thread


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
LPG hatchback dilemma? panks15 Hatchbacks 17 3rd August 2009 18:29
Hatchback dilemma (4.5 - 5L) EatMyDust Hatchbacks 69 21st May 2007 16:50
Our Car Dilemma sajo Sedans 9 8th September 2005 18:19
Dilemma abt wheels for new Baleno sonic Tyre & Alloy wheel Section 17 11th February 2005 10:58


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 09:09.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks