Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > What Car? > Hatchbacks

Old 16th August 2010, 17:59   #16
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by agbenny View Post
My friend went to see the cars and wanted to short list during the last couple of weeks.
He likes, Figo, i10 and Wagon-R. But an ad confused him. An AT or MT of i10 and A-Star. Though A-star was not his initial list, arrival of this hatch confused him, as he mostly drives within the city.
Considering his budget 5L I recommend him to test drive an AT too. Do we have any feedback/test reports on i10 AT? I believe its too early to ask for TD report for A-Star AT.

Buying a car was never been tough before even if you have the money to spend. :-)
We have TD reports for both i10 and Astar AT in the test drive section.
blackasta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th August 2010, 23:47   #17
BHPian

Dont mind, but why did u suggest a "tall boy" car for someone short?? I dont think a very small car will suit his personality either, cause thats just overdoing the "Short"

For his budget, go for the i10. A good alternative is the Beat.
acidkill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th August 2010, 00:31   #18
Senior - BHPian

I do not think its a big deal about buying a car for a short person. I myself am short (5.4 approx) and I don't find issues with any car if you know how to drive!
If he is a new driver, there might be an issue. Should go for something which has high seats + seat height adjust + tilt steering + low dashboard.
Wagon R/I10 should be good I guess!
Do not go for Polo/Punto - I guess your friend will find it little difficult to drive!
adimicra is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 19th August 2010, 09:46   #19
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by acidkill View Post
Dont mind, but why did u suggest a "tall boy" car for someone short?? I dont think a very small car will suit his personality either, cause thats just overdoing the "Short"

For his budget, go for the i10. A good alternative is the Beat.
No,No, Its not finalized yet. Since there are two many cars, its easy and difficult to get the right one. You know what I mean.
I always like i10, my other recommendation is Wagon R, which I know is good for the short people, one of my family member shared his experience about his Wagon R.

Quote:
Originally Posted by adimicra View Post
I do not think its a big deal about buying a car for a short person. I myself am short (5.4 approx) and I don't find issues with any car if you know how to drive!
If he is a new driver, there might be an issue. Should go for something which has high seats + seat height adjust + tilt steering + low dashboard.
Wagon R/I10 should be good I guess!
Do not go for Polo/Punto - I guess your friend will find it little difficult to drive!
High seats - better road visibility, easy reach to pedals is all a Short person need. Right? Polo/Punto is out of budget already.
agbenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th August 2010, 12:59   #20
Senior - BHPian

For a short person a tall boy design has a few constraints - if you raise the seats for better visibility, the pedals are too far. If you lower the seats both front and rear visibility is affected.

TD the new Alto K10.

The visibility is superb. Bonnet is low. Rear opening is large. The Vxi variant has power windows, power steering, zippy engine and a low cost of ownership. The only thing missing is the ABS and Airbags, but for normal city drives, especially in heavy traffic neither of these safety features help.
Aroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th August 2010, 13:32   #21
BHPian

The 'visibility' of the tallboys is only a marketing myth.
Even if you are 5'10" you can't see what's in front of you in Santro and i10.
What matters is the height from which the glasses start(windscreen and window glass)
Also height of the dash respective to seat position matters.
Daewood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th August 2010, 16:20   #22
Senior - BHPian

Alto K series or an I10
humyum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th August 2010, 16:31   #23
Senior - BHPian

Well be it short person or tall - it is not possible for 99% of the population to see the end of hood (unlesss you pop it!) of todays cab forward design hatches.
That is why i see a lot of hatches putting up a small flag stick (without any flag) in the LHS of front bumper - serving both as front and extreme left point of reference.
A sedan should be suitable for a short person if his confidence is in knowing where the front of his bumper is.
As in my case - I have simply adjusted (and I am sure majority do so) to driving my i10 without ever managing to see the hood from the drivers seat (I'm 5' 9").
blackasta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th August 2010, 12:06   #24
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by humyum View Post
Alto K series or an I10
K10, as it is cheaper and the only goodies missing are in the i10 Asta which is at least 1.5 lacs more - ABS, Airbags, Rear Defogger+Washer, Key less entry
Aroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th September 2010, 22:58   #25
Team-BHP Support

The Hyundai i10 would be a good option. The seating position that it provides is ideal for short drivers. Plus, the Asta comes with some nice goodies that might entice your friend into going in for one. Another option is the new Maruti Wagon-R, which is again, great for short drivers.

The Chevrolet Beat is fairly new in the market and your friend might want to check that out. It's worth a look!
suhaas307 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th September 2010, 23:06   #26
Distinguished - BHPian

For shorty people? From my experience,Safari is a nice hatch I am very comfortable in it. Its diesel and gives me 11kmpl.
jkdas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th September 2010, 23:14   #27
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkdas View Post
For shorty people? From my experience,Safari is a nice hatch I am very comfortable in it. Its diesel and gives me 11kmpl.
Good choice. The road view is also very good from its cockpit.

Figo will be a better option. The seating position is perfect for a short person. The pedals are also well positioned. Don't know much about the petrol motor though.
vaisakhr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th September 2010, 23:23   #28
NFS
BHPian

Was very interested in this thread, as my friend too interested in a hatchback. We TDed the I10 and Estilo. Shape of the WagonR still gives bitter taste. May be I will get used to the new shape.

@agbenny, why no one suggested the Estilo is surprise to me. IMO the view was good all around and low dashboard.

Regarding seat height increase and pedal reach, your friend will have to TD each and every car from your shortlist.

Wish him all the best.
NFS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th April 2012, 00:24   #29
BHPian

Default Re: ARTICLE: How to buy a *NEW* car in India

Hi everybody
I own a Beat and now my daughter wants to drive it to work.(she has just gor her licence through a driving school)
I am not too confident of her driving abilities nor am I willing to sit next to her and test her driving.
As she is 5 feet tall not too sure if she can reverse the car(due poor visibibility when reversing)in spite of reverse sensors being there.Nor is the front visibity so good for her height.I am 5'5" and I find it difficult.
Can some experts please suggest a small car which would be easy for her to drive with good all round visibility.
Thought of wagon R but she doesnt like it.
Please help.
Thanks and regards.
Moderators.If this is not the approprate thread for such a query could you please move it to one that is.Sorry for the inconvenience.
faustus77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th May 2012, 16:08   #30
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: Hatch for a short person.

@faustus77: Beat is not suitable for short persons. Most likely the seat would have to be moved right next to the steering wheel (and is barely a few inches away from the wheel). Else the clutch cannot be fully depressed.

My wife is of the same height and here are the cars which she is comfortable with.
1. Wagon R
2. Older Swift Desire (good seating position)
3. Figo
4. Cedia (though reversing is not easy due to boot)
5. i10
6. Alto

Cars not recommended due to short height/ ergonomic issues/ long clutch travel:
1. Beat
2. Spark
3. Punto

Car's not driven: Liva/ Brio/new Swift/ new Swift Desire/ Micra/ Pulse.

I suggest Alto.
S_U_N is offline   Reply With Quote