Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > What Car? > Hatchbacks

Old 17th August 2010, 17:07   #16
BHPian

I have been living with a Vista for close to 2 years now after owining numerous Maruti models for close to 16 long years. The car might not be great in handling but straight line speeds are without a fuss. I have done close to 150 kmph and didnt feel like the car was slipping away or was going to take off (1 fear which always haunted me in all my maruti cars).
Car is built tough, a swift rammed into me from behind & all the damage that I had was a broken bumper holder (cost Rs. 100) whilst the swift had a badly broken bumper & headlight. Another incident involved an auto brushing me from the front. This time the bumper got damaged but again was repairable. I fail to understand how one can make statement that the steel quality is not good. It may not be as good as Fiat, but is way better than Maruti.
Coming on to service, take my word Tata's service has improved leaps & bounds & this I say from my personal experience.
Aniket also decide if U really need that extra boot space. Mostly this is wasted & I strongly believe that you dont buy the hatch in the 1st place if U R going to use the boot extensively.
If you need any further info do PM me. All the best with your buying.
P.S. I am in NO WAY connected with Tata Motors except for being their customer. Just in case some 1 feels I am being biased...
Maverick1977 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th August 2010, 17:44   #17
BHPian

Being a Vista QJ BSIV owner, here is some ownership experience for your requirements:

- Ride & Handling

Ride is simply superb. The suspensions are wonderful and the independent rear suspensions, keeps the car steady and un-jolted
Handling is also good. The Power steering is precise and makes it very convenient to drive. The only minor issue is with cornering at high speeds (> 80 km/hr). The car has a very evident body roll, but it is not frightening.
- Interior Space

No comparison. I am not only talking about the rear space, even the front space is best in the class.

- Fuel Efficiency

My daily driving is on streets (not roads), predominantly on 2nd gear with around 50% AC usage. I am constantly getting above 13-14.
- Looks/Style

Subjective, I find it mean from some angles and odd from some.
- Engine & Gearbox

Engine is a proven one. The new gearbox complements the engine well, I can easily cruise on 20 km/hr on 3rd gear.
- Interior Quality

The plastics have improved a lot. Nothing has broken so far and I like the beige treatment.
- Service & Maintenance costs

Tata Service is not out rightly bad, some people have good experiences and some have bad. For me, so far (only 1st service done) things have been good.
- Boot Space is 232 L (around 52 L less than figo). I found it enough for my needs (enough to carry 3-4 days luggage of 4 adults). Another angle to look at boot space is how occasionally are u planning to drive with a full boot.

Hope the above helps.
TSEA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th August 2010, 20:31   #18
Senior - BHPian

Talking

Since your budget(6.5L) is not a constraint, I would suggest that you finalize 3 cars. Micra of course, the VW Polo and the Ritz/Swift. If your monthly running is more and you are looking for a diesel car; then of course Micra is ruled out because they don't have a diesel variant yet. You may need to wait till the year end for the diesel Micra to be launched.

Micra top end model XV has some really interesting features like start/stop button and in the 3 weeks I have driven the car, I can vouch that it is perfect for city driving. The feather light steering makes city driving really fun and the car is absolutely suited for the city and rush hour. Plus the A/C is fantastic and chills the cabin really quickly. The colors, styling and interior space will blow you over; so I think its a good choice for city driving.

Polo is again a fantastic car with rugged build quality and a similar 3 pot engine like the Micra. Both engines output ~75Bhp power which is sufficient enough for daily use. Also Comfortline and Highline variants of Polo have good features for the price. In my case, my budget was 5L and; for 5L pune on road price for the base trendline variant was working out to be a bit too high for the features, so I didn't go in for it. Downside is the waiting period for 3-4 months and slightly cramped rear seat space. Micra has more legroom and head room than Polo at the rear.

Ritz top end ZXi model would cost you 5.6L. If you can stand the looks from the rear, then on paper and theoretically it's the most perfect car for both city and highway driving. But it appeals more to the head than the heart; in the end I feel you should listen to what your heart says!

Quote:
Originally Posted by adimicra View Post
power/weight ratio of Punto 1.2 is hoorible
Exactly, that's why Punto 1.2 is not an option. I cannot say about the Punto 1.4 because I haven't driven it.

Don't think too much about it. I would recommend the Micra XV version or Polo comfortline/highline without as much as a second thought. You can't go wrong with any of these two cars.

Last edited by W.A.G.7 : 17th August 2010 at 20:35.
W.A.G.7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th August 2010, 21:00   #19
BHPian

I am of the same opinion as Amartya: Figo fits best from your description of priorities, but take a test drive of Punto too because it (probably) fits even better.

And in my humble opinion, any hatch-buying decision should involve test driving the Swift too.

All these three cars have a way of making a test-driver fall in love immediately. Go for whichever of these does that to YOU.
rajushank84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th August 2010, 14:34   #20
BHPian

Hi Guys,

Thanks for all the feedback.

Just a quick update. Was not able to visit the showrooms over the weekend due to other work. I am planning to do a TD of the Punto. Will also check what are the current offers available for the same.

I am still not able to get a test drive of the Micra but plan to TD all other cars once more before I take any decision.

@W.A.G.7 Liked your ownership review of the Micra and have been following the same. Can you let me know what is the exact service schedule of the Micra? I have not been to find that anywhere. That and the rear seat comfort are a concern area for me in the Micra. Ritz is out of the reckoning primarily because of shape and boot size (Even though it is not the most important factor, do need it at times when going for short trips). With Polo, the waiting period is a big dampener and I think the Highline is coming out a bit above my budget.

@rajushank84 The swift is a very good drivers car, but somehow the rear is rather cramped. There are plenty of occasions where we go out with friends and I prefer to have a car with good space in the rear. That is about the only reason I dont want to go that way.
aniketvu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th August 2010, 20:28   #21
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aniketvu View Post
@W.A.G.7 Liked your ownership review of the Micra and have been following the same. Can you let me know what is the exact service schedule of the Micra? I have not been to find that anywhere. That and the rear seat comfort are a concern area for me in the Micra. Ritz is out of the reckoning primarily because of shape and boot size (Even though it is not the most important factor, do need it at times when going for short trips). With Polo, the waiting period is a big dampener and I think the Highline is coming out a bit above my budget.
Service schedule is every 3 months or 5000kms whichever is earlier. Initially there is a free checkup after 1month/1000kms. My car will be going for the checkup on the 28th of this month, so I can tell you cost of spares/services after that.

Don't go by the rear seat on the base version that I have. The mid and top end versions have much better contoured seats than the flat bench that my base variant has. Rear legroom, head room and shoulder space is much better than in the Polo, so the cabin has a nice airy feeling to it.

Boot space is ok, not great shakes but just about enough. Since you are planning to TD the Punto, I suggest go straight for the 1.4 petrol or 1.3 diesel. Don't even consider the 1.2 L engine, you will come back disappointed.
W.A.G.7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th August 2010, 21:00   #22
BHPian

Please do have a test drive of Punto 90BHP. The engine is well known multijet best among the class proved its presence now. The build quality of Punto is good. Space might be a concern at the rear. This is a very good car on highways and as well as in the city's. The engine has a good amount of torque.

VW Polo is a nice package with solid build and it has also good fit and finish. Its a 3 cylinder engine. But its a German!

Indica Vista, you will get what you want. You may need to compromise slightly on the interior quality. King in space, and the best in value for money. The car is very rigid and you'll feel safe on highways. It is very comfortable and road handling is pretty good. Quadrajet (multijet) is the best option. For your range you will get the Aura+ABS+Airbags.
yogeshnaik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th August 2010, 23:38   #23
BHPian

For a better understanding of the micra you should look at GTOs review. But i dont understand the comparison cause the micra is only available in petrol. Firstly, You should be sure about what fuel type you want to buy - petrol or diesel.

In addition i would suggest you take a look at the August Ed of ACI. It has a shootout of all cars in your price range.

From my end, I would suggest the Fiat GP 1.3 VGT if you have a lot of highway driving

Last edited by acidkill : 18th August 2010 at 23:40.
acidkill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th August 2010, 13:10   #24
BHPian

@acidkill I have no particular preference for Diesel or Petrol. The reason I am comparing Figo & Vista diesels is because those are supposed to be the better engines for both those cars and they both fit in my budget. I have been following GTO's review since the day it was posted. However, I dont think I can really decide on anything until I have a TD.

@adimicra I believe you decided not to go with the Micra because of panel gaps and the back seat. What is your opinion about the engine though (I know you mentioned the engine is just adequate but would love more details) ?
Old 19th August 2010, 13:44   #25
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
@acidkill I have no particular preference for Diesel or Petrol. The reason I am comparing Figo & Vista diesels is because those are supposed to be the better engines for both those cars and they both fit in my budget. I have been following GTO's review since the day it was posted. However, I dont think I can really decide on anything until I have a TD.

@adimicra I believe you decided not to go with the Micra because of panel gaps and the back seat. What is your opinion about the engine though (I know you mentioned the engine is just adequate but would love more details) ?
Look, I will be frank with you..Micra is a jack of all, master of none!
The engine is ok, not bad but not good either. You will not feel any great punch while driving. The gearbox is also pretty lousy and the throws are long. Driving experience is not exciting at all!
Back seat, even in the top variants is not good at all and it also does not have the rear headrests!
Panel gaps are huge in the bonnet area and the tailgate.
It has loads of space, plastic quality is good, good-sized boot, nice gizmos and very short turning radius though!
My honest suggestion is - If you are passionate about driving, then do not go for the Micra - the engine lacks performance and handling is not great either.
If you want to potter around the city gently. want good space and japanese reliability and care about gizmos, the Micra might suit you.

Looking at your requirements, The Punto should be the best for you - test drive the 1.4 petrol or the diesel and see which one suits you better!
Though Punto does not have great plastic quality, it does feel more 'premium' than the Figo.
The Figo looks a dated car from outside and does not feel premium at all! Inside the Figo, the plastics are hard and rough and the interior screams 'cheap' - it is the ultimate VFM car but it feels cheap no doubt! The test drive of the Figo was the shortest ever TD in my life because I rejected the car the moment I sat inside - I was looking for a premium hatch and it does not feel premium whichever way you look at ti
adimicra is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd August 2010, 10:27   #26
BHPian

Hi Guys,

Small update. Went with wife for a TD of all concerned vehicles: Punto 1.3/1.4, Figo 1.4 & Polo 1.2.

Polo 1.2 completely ruled out as the dealer is saying 6 month delivery timeline.

Wife like Figo's driving position and comfort but completely turned off by the interiors. Very impressed with Punto interiors and handling but finds the steering a bit hard as compared to the other cars.

Micra TD still not avaiable.

Looks like the Punto's chances went up considerably. The dealer is currently offering free insurance + extended warranty + a 10k cash discount. Is this along the same lines everywhere or do you think there is scope for negotiation?

Also noticed that the build quality between the Punto TD vehicle (2009 make) v/s the vehicle displayed in the show room (the latest 90BHP) seemed a bit different.

Thanks

Aniket
Old 1st September 2010, 22:59   #27
BHPian

Hi, nice informative thread.

I have been doing extensive research on diesel hatches and have narrowed down to Figo Titanium and Vista Aura+. The questions that still remain in my mind are along the following lines (and I did not find some of them in your list). So thought I will pitch in and add to your dilemma -

1. TCO -
a) How much do Figo's spares cost extra compared to Vista's? I knew this gap to be considerable but have been reading in the forum that it has come down. However, have not seen any quantitative analysis. Would be great if any Figo owners can pitch in. What happens if you need to replace a bumper or a A/C knob, side mirrors etc.
b) Mileage: I believe Vista's mileage is more than Figo's by 2kms/l overall?
c) Extra Cost per Service - Again I think Ford is more...can Figo/Vista owners help clarify
d) Resale Value - Not fully convinced that Ford has a great resale reputation. I have personal experiences with Ford engines (both India/US) conking out at 150k. Maybe its changed now. Fiat motor may have a better life. Ford may look better 3 yrs out from now whereas indica may look/feel OLD.

2. A.S.S - Tata has a reputation of being bad but so does Ford. However, lately reading that both Tata and Ford (Thomas's Figo review) have improved quite a lot. Tata obviously has a edge in coverage as they may have a bigger network but Ford may have better customer service. Does this affect the spread/proximity 24x7 road help?

3. Handling bad roads: Figo look quite low slung to me (probably leading to good driveability). Note: I have not TD'ed it yet. Not sure how it affects it handling bad roads. I do a lot of touring - off the beaten track and that means driving on bad roads! Well I dont just mean pot holes, I mean village roads/mud/metal roads where half a road might have disappeared due to rain. Consider this with full load of 5 people and luggage in the boot..

Hope experts/owners can pitch in on this one. All these points could apply to the Punto too.

Quote:
Hi Guys,

Small update. Went with wife for a TD of all concerned vehicles: Punto 1.3/1.4, Figo 1.4 & Polo 1.2.

Polo 1.2 completely ruled out as the dealer is saying 6 month delivery timeline.

Wife like Figo's driving position and comfort but completely turned off by the interiors. Very impressed with Punto interiors and handling but finds the steering a bit hard as compared to the other cars.

Micra TD still not avaiable.

Looks like the Punto's chances went up considerably. The dealer is currently offering free insurance + extended warranty + a 10k cash discount. Is this along the same lines everywhere or do you think there is scope for negotiation?

Also noticed that the build quality between the Punto TD vehicle (2009 make) v/s the vehicle displayed in the show room (the latest 90BHP) seemed a bit different.

Thanks

Aniket
rohing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th September 2010, 14:44   #28
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rohing View Post
3. Handling bad roads: Figo look quite low slung to me (probably leading to good driveability). Note: I have not TD'ed it yet. Not sure how it affects it handling bad roads. I do a lot of touring - off the beaten track and that means driving on bad roads!
To add to your confusion, I can say that both the Vista and Figo have very good ride quality (maybe amongst the best in hatches). Did you take a back to back TD ?

What is the difference in their OTR cost ?
sajo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th September 2010, 14:54   #29
BHPian

I drive a Vista and I feel:
1)With 5 persons onboard Vista too has Ground clearance problem and it scrapes its belly easily over big potholes or speedbreakers.
2)Maintaining Vista will be always cheaper than Figo.
3)Spare parts availability of Vista at present is better than Figo.But if Figo sells in large numbers the scenario can change.
4)Vista will give you small niggles with switches,power windows motor and so on but thankfully no major niggles.
5)Tata Service has improved immensely so just making a picture that Tata Service is bad would be wrong.You can make Dealers do work by giving a negative feedback when Tata Customer care people phone you after your service.I have had no issues with the service. I got my power window motor replaced in 15 mintues with a car wash given.I just used the word"warranty claim".
6)Figo is a better built car than Vista. Vista has more space than Figo can seat 3 people comfortably without any shoulder overlap.
amit_purohit20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th September 2010, 12:19   #30
BHPian

Quote:
1. TCO -
a) How much do Figo's spares cost extra compared to Vista's? I knew this gap to be considerable but have been reading in the forum that it has come down. However, have not seen any quantitative analysis. Would be great if any Figo owners can pitch in. What happens if you need to replace a bumper or a A/C knob, side mirrors etc.
I think somebody had put up a price comparison of the spare costs of all the vehicles. I dont remember the exact thread but I have the image saved somewhere. PM me know if you want it and I will send it across. As usual, some parts cost more in Figo while some others cost more in Vista. However, what I understood was that the service cost of Vista is definitely lower.

Quote:
b) Mileage: I believe Vista's mileage is more than Figo's by 2kms/l overall?
c) Extra Cost per Service - Again I think Ford is more...can Figo/Vista owners help clarify
No clue about these two. I think b depends heavily on the drivers comfort with diesels and c is again a bit dependent on the Service Center.

Quote:
d) Resale Value - Not fully convinced that Ford has a great resale reputation. I have personal experiences with Ford engines (both India/US) conking out at 150k. Maybe its changed now. Fiat motor may have a better life. Ford may look better 3 yrs out from now whereas indica may look/feel OLD.
Right now, Ford resale value is not really high (primarily due to its image as high maintenance) but that could change.

Quote:
3. Handling bad roads: Figo look quite low slung to me (probably leading to good driveability). Note: I have not TD'ed it yet. Not sure how it affects it handling bad roads. I do a lot of touring - off the beaten track and that means driving on bad roads! Well I dont just mean pot holes, I mean village roads/mud/metal roads where half a road might have disappeared due to rain. Consider this with full load of 5 people and luggage in the boot..
I agree that both Vista and Figo have good ride quality. However, I found the Figo a bit better when doing back to back comparisons.