Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > What Car? > Hatchbacks

Old 12th July 2015, 12:10   #46
BHPian

Default Re: VW Polo TDI vs Honda Jazz, which one?

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankmehta View Post
Digging this one up after a few years of dormancy.
The battle still remains.
The Polo TSi vs the Jazz V CVT.

Which one would you go for??
I have been a huge fan of your 'Workhorse' thread. And trust me when I say this, we may be petrol-heads to the last strand and we may be radical bikers to the last shoe lace, we all want our cars to be with us for the long haul and not getting hauled to the service center at every whim and fancy. With the afore set, you can't go wrong with either one of them.

However, I did check out the Jazz recently and I was also going to get my car swapped for the Jazz. Long story short, I am not trading. The Jazz that my brother drives for the last 5 years and the car I saw at the showroom are genetically different. Its like a namesake, the heart was transplanted but you don't get the same person, now do you. I am stickler for keeping things simple and squeak free. I get rattled inside if I hear a squeak in my car (that annoys my wife quite a bit). But over the years, I have grown to appreciate the quality of products used by VW, my car has been with me for 4.5 years now and I can hold on it easily for longer, until that urge to get a new car comes.

With the VW, you will get quality (and that also means expensive) parts and stuff in the car. The car from Honda reminds me of the song "All ... that... Jazz" and nothing much beyond. The service costs of Honda has risen and the service intervals of 6 months is just plain ridiculous. The VW requires service every 15000KM/ 1 year that will set you back by 11K.

There's obviously the other consideration of drivability. You said your drives will be the highways and city, mixed. For the urban congestions, I have no doubt in my mind that the VW engine is more suited. The Honda i-Vtec doesn't perform in the lower torque band, hence in stop go traffic you will start wondering when the car will move. It's only beyond 2500RPM that the car becomes responsive, I had major issues with this since I mostly drive my car in the city confines. The i-Vtec simply does not cut the chase. The CVT will not be much different, since the new Jazz has been primarily tuned to spurt out incredible mileage figures. For the Highways, both will ne competent, since both the engines have rather good top end grunt.

My vote's for the TSI.

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmohitg View Post
On the other hand if it is only going to be self driven with front seats occupied 90% of the times etc. then go for the Polo with your eyes closed.
Psst. I hear you buddy, had gone for the Polo and still loving every bit of it. Initially there were these punks in their swifts and stuff, but my man has aged very well. Whereas I see the other covered in dents and fading colors.

Last edited by methecupid : 12th July 2015 at 12:28.
methecupid is offline   (5) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 12th July 2015, 12:55   #47
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
Jazz was on the City pan. I guess it still is. The original story on Jazz MkI being so expensive was that while it is a world car the City is built to a price So the Jazz is a better car!
I am aware of that. What I was trying to convey in that (nearly) 5 year old post is that it offers the practicality of a sedan (big flexible boot / spacious interiors) in a hatch back package.
suhaas307 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th July 2015, 13:54   #48
Senior - BHPian

Booked a White Polo GT TSi. Awaiting delivery next week!

Elated at my decision! There couldn't be a better successor to my Ford Fiesta S than this car.
frankmehta is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 13th July 2015, 21:54   #49
BHPian

Quote:

Elated at my decision! There couldn't be a better successor to my Ford Fiesta S than this car.
Well, I am selling my Cruze at half life and going for the Polo TSI (the decision of moving to a petrol hatch was independently taken, so let's not compare Cruze with hatchbacks). I have driven the Polo TSI and I like to drive it more than the Cruze AT. I am elated too.

I considered Jazz too. The Jazz wins easily in space and maintenance cost, but the Polo GT TSI wins everywhere else. Once you start to live with a good performing car, it is hard to accept an engine like that of Jazz. No, it's not bad, but it is only good for what it can do.
deb_majumdar is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 16th July 2015, 10:32   #50
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deb_majumdar View Post
Well, I am selling my Cruze at half life and going for the Polo TSI (the decision of moving to a petrol hatch was independently taken, so let's not compare Cruze with hatchbacks). I have driven the Polo TSI and I like to drive it more than the Cruze AT. I am elated too.

I considered Jazz too. The Jazz wins easily in space and maintenance cost, but the Polo GT TSI wins everywhere else. Once you start to live with a good performing car, it is hard to accept an engine like that of Jazz. No, it's not bad, but it is only good for what it can do.
I sold my Cruze too! And I am sure we will miss the Diesel Locomotive pull of that addictive engine. But then, there's more to cars than just plain pulling power.
I just made payment for the car right now. Registration process should begin today.
frankmehta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th July 2015, 10:46   #51
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Congrats deb_majumdar on your decision and Welcome to the GT Club.

Selling a Cruze to go in for a GT TSI is quite a thing. Wish you all the very best with your German bullet association.

Quote:

I just made payment for the car right now. Registration process should begin today.
Amazing decision frankmehta and I know its a bit premature, nevertheless:

Welcome to the GT Club

Considering the fact on how you had detailed your ownership on the Fiesta S, looking forward to your GT thread now. Rest assured, you will love every moment of your 'Gran Touring' !!

Last edited by Vik0728 : 17th July 2015 at 10:51.
Vik0728 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 19th July 2015, 08:12   #52
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I sold my Cruze too! And I am sure we will miss the Diesel Locomotive pull of that addictive engine. But then, there's more to cars than just plain pulling power.
Congrats on the car Frank. Any reason why no diesel inspite of a running of a 100 kms a day ?
sumeethaldankar is online now   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 19th July 2015, 10:04   #53
Senior - BHPian

Nothing diesel and automatic was fitting my budget. That's why! Or the TDI DSG Rapid would have been the right choice! Also, the difference between the Polo and Vento is 4.25 lakhs. With the dwindling difference in fuel prices, that kind of a premium for diesel and a boot was silly.
Old 19th July 2015, 10:38   #54
BHPian

Quote:
Congratulations on your booking frankmehta. However, I just wanted to ask you whether the i20 elite was on your radar before you made your booking? It is a pretty feature loaded car and drive quality is pretty amazing too in my opinion (this is subjective, to each his own).
agd19682 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 19th July 2015, 12:00   #55
BHPian

Quote:
Well, I am selling my Cruze at half life and going for the Polo TSI
Quote:
I sold my Cruze too!
I just made payment for the car right now.

Congrats to the two of you for your very wise choices.

We need more people like you to tell the manufacturers that India has matured and will willingly prefer hatchbacks if they are worthy. A boxy boot is not our prime requirement in a car for everyday use.
arunkumarsarat is offline   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 19th July 2015, 12:19   #56
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by agd19682 View Post
Congratulations on your booking frankmehta. However, I just wanted to ask you whether the i20 elite was on your radar before you made your booking? It is a pretty feature loaded car and drive quality is pretty amazing too in my opinion (this is subjective, to each his own).
It wasn't even on the radar because there is no auto version of the i20 elite! Or I'd have thought about the Hyundai at least.

Quote:
Originally Posted by arunkumarsarat View Post

We need more people like you to tell the manufacturers that India has matured and will willingly prefer hatchbacks if they are worthy. A boxy boot is not our prime requirement in a car for everyday use.
Thank you. I have always chosen driver friendly cars over 'practical' sedans. I had the Ford Fiesta 1.6S, which was a less 'practical' option than the Honda City at that time. But when I'm the one having fun I'm not complaining
Old 19th July 2015, 12:45   #57
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vik0728 View Post
Congrats deb_majumdar on your decision and Welcome to the GT Club.

Selling a Cruze to go in for a GT TSI is quite a thing. Wish you all the very best with your German bullet association.
Quote:
Originally Posted by arunkumarsarat View Post

I do not deserve the congratulations yet, because the sale is not yet complete and hence I have not yet made the payment to VW. If the sale doesn't happen, I will keep the Cruze.

My primary reason is that I want a petrol car. The Cruze is great, I have spent several days thinking whether I should really sell it, but I spend significant time at the driver's seat in traffic jams when the car is almost idle, and after more than four years of the diesel sound and vibration, I don't like it anymore. A silent petrol engine will help my wellbeing.

I started with looking at Vento TSI, but Vento is so identical to Polo GT feature to feature, dashboard to dashboard, interior width etc, I am not going to pay nearly 2.4 lakhs extra for a Vento TSI highline once I felt Polo's bootspace is enough for us.

After getting used to a powerful turbo charged engine (petrol or diesel), it is difficult to move to a non-turbo. After getting used to automatic, I felt it is difficult to move to a manual. That explains why choosing anything other than the 1.2TSI automatic was difficult.

I suspect, after getting used to the DSG, it may be difficult to move to anything else either. Like everyone else, I hope DSG behaves well with me.

Last edited by deb_majumdar : 19th July 2015 at 12:48. Reason: better explaining my problem with diesel
deb_majumdar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th July 2015, 07:44   #58
BHPian

Heartening to see that I am not the only one who thinks that the TSI is a better choice then the Jazz CVT.

The way I looked at it, positives for the Jazz:
Good comfort at the back (mom loved the comfortable seating and space), soft tuned suspension that rides well over bumps, amazing boot space, airy greenhouse that gives a big car feel.

What I didn't like was the 1.2 petrol low rpm performance (MT), period.

The Polo on the other hand has superb acceleration, great handling and better interior quality than the Jazz. Suspension is a little more stiff at the back and rear being a smaller place than the Jazz.

However, with both (TSI n CVT) costing around 9.5 lacs on road Noida, the TSI surely is a more fun and enjoyable bet.
prateekswarup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th December 2015, 11:24   #59

I made up my mind to book Jazz VX this week until a visit to my friend changed all that. Was really impressed with his Polo 1.2 TDI Highline. It has class written all over it. He strongly recommended to test drive both Jazz & Polo and decide. Another friend who uses GT TDI also recommended to check Polo.

Somehow Jazz disappointed me with its overall package. Both I and my wife did not feel it to be worth of spending 10.6 lakhs. Honda seems to have compromised the quality to offer jazz at competitive prices. Polo may lack rear space, but it compensates that everything else. Due to year end offers, managed to get 1.5 TDI highline at 8.8 lakhs OTR.

I am really thankful to those two buddies and all the BHPians for their inputs on both Jazz and Polo.

Will be taking my Polo next Saturday and looking forward to experience German Engineering!!!
Sarmaji is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 22nd December 2015, 06:33   #60
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarmaji View Post
I made up my mind to book Jazz VX this week until a visit to my friend changed all that. Was really impressed with his Polo 1.2 TDI Highline. It has class written all over it. He strongly recommended to test drive both Jazz & Polo and decide. Another friend who uses GT TDI also recommended to check Polo.

Somehow Jazz disappointed me with its overall package. Both I and my wife did not feel it to be worth of spending 10.6 lakhs. Honda seems to have compromised the quality to offer jazz at competitive prices. Polo may lack rear space, but it compensates that everything else. Due to year end offers, managed to get 1.5 TDI highline at 8.8 lakhs OTR.

I am really thankful to those two buddies and all the BHPians for their inputs on both Jazz and Polo.

Will be taking my Polo next Saturday and looking forward to experience German Engineering!!!
Great decision! Congratulations. I am personally looking to change my Maruti Suzuki Swift and since, the new Polo 1.5 Tdi, I fell in love with it but since, we already own a VW Vento, family doesn't want to go for it. I drove all the hatchbacks in the segment, nothing impressed me like the new VW Polo 1.5 Tdi.
kvsingh13 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote