Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > What Car? > Hatchbacks

Old 14th December 2005, 23:12   #16
Team-BHP Support

tata indigo marina is the only estate in india ever that wasn't a flop,i dont think any other estate can sell well in india.fiat palio adventure was a nice car but was to expensive and drunk too much fuel for a utilitarian car and thats the reason it did not sell well,and when diesel was launched the company was in trouble and it was too slow for a car of this price segment,interiors were bad for a car priced too high.
.anshuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th December 2005, 23:13   #17
Senior - BHPian

Fusion is a Mini SUV.. I think lol
abhibh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th December 2005, 00:59   #18
BHPian

The Skoda Octavia Combi sure is a looker! i jus saw one yesterday nite, and it looked classy! nice thing, doesnt look cheapish! it has a nice style of its own! way to go! Skoda!
Insane Devil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th December 2005, 07:32   #19
BHPian

Fusion may be Confusion, but it's one of the most practical cars going around. Loads of space, superb driving dynamics, and a reasonable boot space(combined with split-folding rear seats).

Best part: huge discounts going around! I got an offer for 6.5L on-road, for the top-end model with ABS recently.
I cant think of any other car which is as big as the Fusion, with ABS/EBD, driving experience, and sheer fun, in this price range. Its as easy to drive as M800 in the city, which is saying *something*.
ballkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th December 2005, 09:30   #20
Senior - BHPian

Forrester: What better station wagon can you get? The more I try to think about it, the better I feel. What a wonderful vehicle!!

Skoda Combi: A combination of solidity and space. A good vehicle to have.

Fiat Adventure: Another lovely vehicle. It is pretty butch looking and has all the space you need. The engine is powerful and the ride is wonderful. Except for 4x4, it has everything you need in that budget. But it is not selling well, thanks to Fiat.

Opel Swing: Those red and yellow colours are wonderful. The 1.6 litre version would be good, though I doubt whether it is being produced now.

Indigo Marina: It is an ideal budget choice. Has got loads of space and the power is good enough. Comfort is also pretty good. I feel it is the best looking amongst the Indi*.

Ford Fusion: Another good vehicle let down by the high sticker price and also by the shape, which has not found many takers in India. Anyway, it is a very practical choice.

Suzuki Baleno Altura: Is it still in production? I have no idea.
deepakhon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th December 2005, 09:41   #21
BHPian

Come what may...its the baleno altura for me....its affordable...and has got the performance of a baleno with the utility of an estate....and yeah with those nice wrap around tail lamps and classy D-pillars the biggest issue of a baleon's rear-end looks is also take care...

well, the only grudge is that the car has been discontinued by MUL and its difficult to locate one in the used car market.

~A
adityapd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd February 2006, 16:38   #22
Ram
Senior - BHPian

Why the resurgence of interest in station-wagons?

They are practical. They hold more people/cargo than a car. And they can be fast as well, particularly the rear-wheel drive wagons.

The rear-wheel driven station wagon's rearward weight bias helps it handle well when pushed hard and have much much better traction ("hook-up" as it's called in drag-racing) than front-wheel drive cars.

A rear-wheel drive wagon gets better as you load it. A front-wheel drive wagon is a compromise from the word, "go". It gets worse as you load it and performs best when empty. Then why have a wagon anyway?

So dump the All-show & no-go front wheel drive station wagons. That vaporizes the Octavia, Baleno-Altura and Marina!

Go for a serious rear-wheel drive.
Ram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd February 2006, 17:04   #23
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ram
So dump the All-show & no-go front wheel drive station wagons. That vaporizes the Octavia, Baleno-Altura and Marina!

Go for a serious rear-wheel drive.
In India, I suppose that leaves us with only the Tata Estate ????

I don't think any of the others mentioned are RWD.

Do we have any other options ?
falcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd February 2006, 18:35   #24
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbasak
What is/are the best Station Wagon/s in India (either new or used)?

Could you please post your opinions?

I also wonder why some of the earlier cars were withdrawn!

Opel Swing - I always fascinated this nice looking car (surprisingly I couldn't find a comprehensive review of this car in team-bhp)

Fiat Siena Weekend - not much seen on road

Indigo Marina - how'z it?

Baleno estate - looks bulky

Tata Estate - probably India's 1st estate car, just crap now
Baleno Altura is a good estate option...if you want to buy used, then it comes at a real good bargain...
adit1329 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd February 2006, 19:19   #25
Ram
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by falcon
In India, I suppose that leaves us with only the Tata Estate ???? I don't think any of the others mentioned are RWD.
Do we have any other options ?
The Tata Estate, Sumo, Sierra and Safari are all rear-wheel drive. So are all the Mahindras. So is the Maruti Gypsy and Omni van (it's great for very short distance runs to the marketplace) Then the Tempo Traveller and I think the new Tata baby-trucks are also rear-wheel-drive.

Looks like the rear-wheel drives outnumber the front-wheel-drives.
Old 3rd February 2006, 19:30   #26
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ram
The Tata Estate, Sumo, Sierra and Safari are all rear-wheel drive. So are all the Mahindras. So is the Maruti Gypsy and Omni van (it's great for very short distance runs to the marketplace) Then the Tempo Traveller and I think the new Tata baby-trucks are also rear-wheel-drive.
Ram buddy!

I was only referring to the station wagons available in India...

India has a lot of RWDs... Sumo, Sierra, Safari, all Mahindra Jeeps, Gypsy, vans, tempo traveller, all the tata baby trucks, the older gen cars like Ambassador, Fiat, Contessa, etc. are RWDs, but they aren't station wagons

Last edited by falcon : 3rd February 2006 at 19:31.
falcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd February 2006, 19:55   #27
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbasak
What is/are the best Station Wagon/s in India (either new or used)?

Could you please post your opinions?

I also wonder why some of the earlier cars were withdrawn!

Opel Swing - I always fascinated this nice looking car (surprisingly I couldn't find a comprehensive review of this car in team-bhp)

Fiat Siena Weekend - not much seen on road

Indigo Marina - how'z it?

Baleno estate - looks bulky

Tata Estate - probably India's 1st estate car, just crap now

the indigo marina is the best Station wagon in INdia the car has good power , Fe, toooo practical good suspension ,large space ,. i have done40000ks and no problems yet .
garvit2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd February 2006, 19:59   #28
Senior - BHPian

What abt the Octavia Combi. Its a station wagon too, but i doubt how many people will actually use it that way.
karthik247 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd February 2006, 20:35   #29
BHPian

Dude,go for the Skoda combi RS.....and keep it stylish
Veelubai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd February 2006, 21:01   #30
Ram
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by falcon
Ram buddy!

I was only referring to the station wagons available in India...

India has a lot of RWDs... Sumo, Sierra, Safari, all Mahindra Jeeps, Gypsy, vans, tempo traveller, all the tata baby trucks, the older gen cars like Ambassador, Fiat, Contessa, etc. are RWDs, but they aren't station wagons
falcon, my friend, I didn't mention Ambassador, Fiat, Contessa because they are not station wagons.
(Although, Ambassador and Fiat station wagons were made and sold in India too!)

The Contessa (Vauxhall VX-2600 station wagon never came to India).

By strict, strict definition of station wagon,
Sumo, Qualis and 2-wheel-drive Sierra(not Tata Gurkha 4x4) and 2-wheel-drive Safari, the 2-wheel-drive hardtop Mahindra Jeeps (not forward control, only normal control)
ARE STATION-WAGONS.

Station wagons are of two types: car-based and truck-based.

Today, the USA no longer produces car-based station wagons.
Station wagons have been replaced by SUVs and minivans in the USA.

Examples of truck-based US station wagons are the Chevrolet & GMC Suburban and Dodge Durango. Back here in India, the Tata Sumo, Toyota Qualis and Chevrolet Tavera.

But car-based wagons are still very popular in Europe. The range of wagons is much broader, covering the whole spectrum of small (Corsa Sail) to large (Volvo & Peugeot), and functional (Octavia-combi) to high-performance (Mercedes T-class, BMW, Porsche, etc).

In the bollywood movie "Chalti ka naam Gaadi", the villain's henchmen dump out a dead-body from a 1956 Plymouth Savoy station wagon witnessed by the hero: ManMohan (Kishore Kumar). The Plymouth Savoy was sold and serviced by Premier Automobiles, Kurla, Mumbai

Do read my (An Indian station wagon from the past)An Indian station wagon from the past.

Last edited by Ram : 3rd February 2006 at 21:14.