Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > What Car? > Hatchbacks

Old 27th November 2010, 13:15   #16
BHPian

Avoid the petrol Figo. Its a great car but the petrol wont impress you much in terms of power delivery (you might like the hi-rpm sound though).

i10 - great fit & finish, excellent engine (1.2), 5 passenger can sit but not very comfortable. There are many options if you are ok with 4/4.5 passengers space - Beat, Micra, etc. But I say stick to i10 - its gonna be a hassle free ownership.

Vista: Leads in terms of space - no doubt. Decent diesel engine. But thats about it, if you compare with competition (i10).

Do update us, goodluck.
Vibhanshu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th November 2010, 20:17   #17
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vibhanshu View Post
Avoid the petrol Figo. Its a great car but the petrol wont impress you much in terms of power delivery (you might like the hi-rpm sound though).

i10 - great fit & finish, excellent engine (1.2), 5 passenger can sit but not very comfortable. There are many options if you are ok with 4/4.5 passengers space - Beat, Micra, etc. But I say stick to i10 - its gonna be a hassle free ownership.

Vista: Leads in terms of space - no doubt. Decent diesel engine. But thats about it, if you compare with competition (i10).

Do update us, goodluck.
Not comparing Vista with i10; If I had a substantial running, would've booked Vista QJD by now; i10 struggles with the AC on the myraid slopes here.

Tried to haggle with the i10 dealer but he postponed the discussion by saying wait a week for "December year ending" schemes with cash discounts.
Does anyone have any idea what kind of discounts are offered by Hyundai in the last month of the year?
Archon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th November 2010, 00:47   #18
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archon View Post
Not comparing Vista with i10; If I had a substantial running, would've booked Vista QJD by now;
Im comparing coz these 2 vehicles offer 2 different things with your budget. One for space and other for interior quality/fit & finish.
Quote:
i10 struggles with the AC on the myraid slopes here.
I disagree with this point. Did you take a test drive on the i10 1.2 ? i10 is very peppy on mid-high revs.
Vibhanshu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th November 2010, 11:34   #19
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vibhanshu View Post
I disagree with this point. Did you take a test drive on the i10 1.2 ? i10 is very peppy on mid-high revs.
Yeah it was the Kappa2 VTVT and it is peppier on the mid-high revs but it still struggled. I am not saying other small cars can do better, just that it was a little disappointing. Or maybe I wasn't giving it time to get into higher rev after gear shift?
Old 11th December 2010, 12:32   #20
BHPian

Default re: Advise needed: First car purchase. EDIT : Booked a crystal white i10 Magna 1.2 VTVT

Booked a crystal white i10 Magna 1.2 VTVT with KUN today

Yet to apply for loan

Thanks for all the help folks!

Last edited by Archon : 11th December 2010 at 12:33.
Old 12th December 2010, 19:07   #21
BHPian

Default re: Advise needed: First car purchase. EDIT : Booked a crystal white i10 Magna 1.2 VTVT

I too have bought the I10 crystal white I10 Magna 1.2 VTVT and will take possession of it in a few days. I have made a few changes to the Magna edition and have incorporated some of the features on the I10 Sportz version. To give you an idea, I have...

1. Added the Wiper switch lever of the Sportz to my Magna. If you have noticed, the Magna does not have a wiper intermittent feature (the wipers move once every few seconds). This feature is present in the Sportz model. I found out that the easiest way to replicate this feature in the Magna is to replace the stock wiper lever with the wiper lever of the Sportz. Hyundai sells the the wiper lever of the Sportz for about Rs 1200, at least here in Goa. The Hyundai mechanics attached the Sportz wiper lever to my Magna and hey presto, the wiper intermittent function is activated. The only odd thing is, you will have to make do with a 'rear wiper' switch on the wiper lever, which literally does nothing as the Magna does not have a rear wiper.

2. As opposed to the Sportz, the Magna has door close switches on only the two front doors and not on the two rear doors. This switch essentially lights up the cabin light if any of the four doors are not closed properly. In the interest of safety, I got the Hyundai mechanics to add door switches to the rear doors as well.

3. I will also install the luggage lamp feature (which is present on the Sportz) on my Magna. Hyundai has ordered for it as they do not have it in stock and it will be installed within the next 10-15 days.

The other features on the Sportz (driver vanity mirror, defogger, rear wiper, rear spoiler, driver seat belt warning, digital clock on audio and electric heated mirrors), which are absent on the Magna, did not appeal to me.

As such, I have got my Magna custom-designed with the Sportz features that I needed and have saved about Rs 23 K (the difference between the Sportz and Magna) in the process. While the difference between the two variants is about Rs 35K, I will be adding the JBL 333 + 4 JBL door speakers on my Magna for about Rs 11K (an integrated music system is already on the Sportz). The additional wiper lever and luggage lamp works out to about Rs 1500.

Regards,
Melvyn

Last edited by misquitas : 12th December 2010 at 19:24.
misquitas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th December 2010, 20:29   #22
BHPian

I read somewhere that i10 kappa2 has one of the quickest 0-100 timings amongst the small cars. Is that true?
altius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th December 2010, 22:47   #23
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by misquitas View Post
I too have bought the I10 crystal white I10 Magna 1.2 VTVT and will take possession of it in a few days. I have made a few changes to the Magna edition and have incorporated some of the features on the I10 Sportz version. To give you an idea, I have...

1. Added the Wiper switch lever of the Sportz to my Magna. If you have noticed, the Magna does not have a wiper intermittent feature (the wipers move once every few seconds). This feature is present in the Sportz model. I found out that the easiest way to replicate this feature in the Magna is to replace the stock wiper lever with the wiper lever of the Sportz. Hyundai sells the the wiper lever of the Sportz for about Rs 1200, at least here in Goa. The Hyundai mechanics attached the Sportz wiper lever to my Magna and hey presto, the wiper intermittent function is activated. The only odd thing is, you will have to make do with a 'rear wiper' switch on the wiper lever, which literally does nothing as the Magna does not have a rear wiper.

2. As opposed to the Sportz, the Magna has door close switches on only the two front doors and not on the two rear doors. This switch essentially lights up the cabin light if any of the four doors are not closed properly. In the interest of safety, I got the Hyundai mechanics to add door switches to the rear doors as well.

3. I will also install the luggage lamp feature (which is present on the Sportz) on my Magna. Hyundai has ordered for it as they do not have it in stock and it will be installed within the next 10-15 days.

The other features on the Sportz (driver vanity mirror, defogger, rear wiper, rear spoiler, driver seat belt warning, digital clock on audio and electric heated mirrors), which are absent on the Magna, did not appeal to me.

As such, I have got my Magna custom-designed with the Sportz features that I needed and have saved about Rs 23 K (the difference between the Sportz and Magna) in the process. While the difference between the two variants is about Rs 35K, I will be adding the JBL 333 + 4 JBL door speakers on my Magna for about Rs 11K (an integrated music system is already on the Sportz). The additional wiper lever and luggage lamp works out to about Rs 1500.

Regards,
Melvyn
That seems like a good deal man; do share your experiences with the JBL ICE. havent thought about which one to buy yet. will get the wiper lever and the map fitted if I feel the need otherwise I agree with your assessment of Sportz's extra features.
Quote:
Originally Posted by altius View Post
I read somewhere that i10 kappa2 has one of the quickest 0-100 timings amongst the small cars. Is that true?
13 secs...among the top 3 or 4, but I think this data is for kappa1. kappa2 came around in aug-sep I think.

Btw, does anyone know how I can edit the title of this thread to reflect my final choice?

Last edited by Archon : 12th December 2010 at 22:48.
Old 13th December 2010, 01:05   #24
BHPian

Quote:
Congratulations Archon. Great Choice.

I was in the same Dilemma few months ago. However, being a new driver, I chose to buy a second hand Maruti Esteem (2005, Vxi). Hate to ruin a brand new car while I improve my skills.

Looking forward to your buying experience.

MaSh
mashmash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th December 2010, 01:13   #25
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by misquitas View Post
I too have bought the I10 crystal white I10 Magna 1.2 VTVT and will take possession of it in a few days.

Regards,
Melvyn
Hey Melvyn,

Congratulations on your new car.

Just an unsolicited advice. If you still can then do get the defogger with the electric heated ORVMs. This feature is a boon especially in the rains as it helps the mirrors especially the ORVMs to stay absolutely clear. We have this on one of our cars and sorely miss it in the others and it does rain much more in Goa compared to Dilli.
khoj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st December 2010, 07:55   #26
BHPian

Default Re: Advise needed: First car purchase. EDIT : Booked a crystal white i10 Magna 1.2 VT

Quote:
That seems like a good deal man; do share your experiences with the JBL ICE. havent thought about which one to buy yet. will get the wiper lever and the map fitted if I feel the need otherwise I agree with your assessment of Sportz's extra features.

13 secs...among the top 3 or 4, but I think this data is for kappa1. kappa2 came around in aug-sep I think.

Btw, does anyone know how I can edit the title of this thread to reflect my final choice?
Quote:
Originally Posted by khoj View Post
Hey Melvyn,

Congratulations on your new car.

Just an unsolicited advice. If you still can then do get the defogger with the electric heated ORVMs. This feature is a boon especially in the rains as it helps the mirrors especially the ORVMs to stay absolutely clear. We have this on one of our cars and sorely miss it in the others and it does rain much more in Goa compared to Dilli.

Thanks for your comments. I followed this thread closely before eventually picking up our I10 on December 13. I have documented our ownership experience at:

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-d...ve-dwarfs.html

Thanks for your inputs on the I10. Khoj, I don't feel the need for a defogger here in Goa because if the rear glass gets misty, I simply put on the AC and it clears away the mist.

Regards,
Melvyn
misquitas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st December 2010, 02:13   #27
BHPian

Default Re: Advise needed: First car purchase. EDIT : Booked a crystal white i10 Magna 1.2 VT

Hi archon, firstly congrats!!
I am in a similar (if not same!) dilemma here, just want the reasons you left out the figo diesel (except its price, if thats one), all my needs are similar to yours and even the monthly usage is!
I am leaning towards the figo tdci as it is very closely priced to the i10 asta which I was considering!!

Please enlighten me!
Thanks
theoriginal9321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st December 2010, 07:37   #28
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by theoriginal9321 View Post
Hi archon, firstly congrats!!
I am in a similar (if not same!) dilemma here, just want the reasons you left out the figo diesel (except its price, if thats one), all my needs are similar to yours and even the monthly usage is!
I am leaning towards the figo tdci as it is very closely priced to the i10 asta which I was considering!!

Please enlighten me!
Thanks
Thanks!

I recalculated my monthly usage after the time I posted here I think and it was coming to hardly 500 km/month. I compared the cost savings in terms of extra mileage and lesser fuel cost of diesel to the price overhead of buying a diesel car, and it appeared that it would take a good 6-7 years of this kind of usage to recover that cost (not taking into account the higher charges of maintenance which people associate with diesel engines) So against my hearts wishes, I decided against a diesel and went for petrol.

So yes, in the final analysis, it was price which decided it for me. I would also recommend that you have a look at Vista Aura+ Quadrajet if the TATA dealership in Lucknow has a decent reputation (and you're still considering diesel): i was quite impressed by the car (especially with the heavy discounts running this month).

PS If I had the budget for an i10 Asta and it was priced similar to Figo Titanium TDCi/Vista QJ Aura+, I would go for the one of the latter two options

Last edited by Archon : 31st December 2010 at 07:39.
Old 31st December 2010, 09:26   #29
BANNED

Quote:
Trying out i10 Magna; quoting at almost 5; i would rather go for figo in petrol, unless i get a discount.

Quote:
First of all, thanks all for the valuable inputs. HAve an update on "next gen" i10 Magna. being quoted for 4.8l OTR with mp3 player and other accessories (which should be free in any case). effectively its just OTR quote - insurance with freebies.
What? I think the sportz is around 4.9 OTR without any discounts.

Quote:

Yet to apply for loan

Thanks for all the help folks!
Congrats.
Live To Jive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st December 2010, 09:30   #30
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Live To Jive View Post
What? I think the sportz is around 4.9 OTR without any discounts.

Congrats.
Thanks!

AP/Karnataka probably have the highest road tax in all of India. Despite that the roads are pathetic :( Finally got an i10 Magna without accessories for <4.7