Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > What Car? > Hatchbacks

Old 24th February 2011, 11:33   #16
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: Buying an 8 year old Indica?

The headlights do look like they are flood affected (Mud residue in the lens), also the taillights are from a face lift model, check for the paint finish/accident repairs in this area. Otherwise from the pics she looks clean!
Maverick5490 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th February 2011, 11:44   #17
Team-BHP Support

Its entirely your choice. The car may or may not be a lemon.
anyways, you have to get the car inspected, rule out any major accidental damage.
You do have to check a few things. Everything can be fixed in a non Authorized service center for cheap except for the fuel pump
1. Check the power steering system. Hoses are prone to leaks and all. Its a cheap fix if you know a good independent work. It will cost around 1000rs
2. Check the electrical setup. What is the idle current at battery terminal? Lucas Alternators start giving problems after 70K and while you can go for piece by piece replacement, I would recommend invest in a brand new alternator. It costs around 10K
3. Check the glow plugs. Are they working. A set of 4 costs around 1200 INR. Is the glow plug timer working? It costs 2000rs. In mumbai you may not notice them not working due to warm climate, but a mechanic will be able to check that
3. Check for rear wheels. Do they show too much camber(negative or positive?). If so stay away. It means the vehicle has been used for "loading". Entire suspension fix will set you back by 5K if this has been the case
4. Thankfully front struts and tie rods are pretty cheap
5. check the rear brake shoes and drums. Indica is notorious for leaking rear master cylinder, total cost of repair may come to around 1500rs if both need to be replaced.
7. As with all used cars, check compression also. If there is an issue stay away. Watch color of smoke. This black smoke is okay, blue smoke is not.
8. A good way to gauge engine health is expressway run. She should reach 100kmph without much struggle, infact even 110-120 should be okay. If she starts struggling at 90 it means fuel delivery issues, repair can be expensive.

That said, and indica in good condition will easily run 100,000kms before you need a clutch change.
Engine is good till 150,000 as long as regular oil changes have been done.

On the non engine front, check the compressor. Is there a whine from the compressor bearing? If so, remember it can be 5000-10000 for reconditioning of compressor. Some indicas cut off AC due to slight overheating in traffic, usually the cause is dust in condensor fan. A good pressure wash to the front air dam takes care of this issue.

Other than that the thermostat is niggly, and remember around 60K you will need a full radiator flush and cleaning. This is esp true if the user has been using tap water.

so get all the checks done, and then decide.
tsk1979 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 24th February 2011, 17:29   #18
BHPian

Buying an 8 year old car from an unknown person itself is a challenge.

Though I agree with the benefits of buying a pre-owned car, the challenge is in having the patience to go through numerous prospective love-affairs and evaluate them without being emotionally attached.

Buying an 8 year old indica: challenge+, diesel indica: challenge++.

I would suggest spreading the word that you are looking for a used car in your friends circle (P.S: That is how I got a good per-owned car - a friend's friend).

Else, take a trustworthy mechanic/person who knows diesel indica's well.

It is easy to get sucked into buying a car based on the looks of interiors/ICE/body etc. That is just the cover by which you can't judge the book as tsk1979 has explained.
vasanthn21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th February 2011, 02:33   #19

Thanks for all these valuable inputs.

I think i will rule out the buying of this particular vehicle.
she_abs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th February 2011, 07:05   #20
Awaiting Email Confirmation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maverick5490 View Post
The headlights do look like they are flood affected (Mud residue in the lens), also !
!!!!!!!Thats a fantastic and probably correct observation. Are you into forensics. If you have not yet decided on your career have a look see into investigative journalism or something to do with investigations.
drpullockaran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th February 2011, 10:30   #21
MAS
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maverick5490 View Post
The headlights do look like they are flood affected (Mud residue in the lens), also the taillights are from a face lift model, check for the paint finish/accident repairs in this area. Otherwise from the pics she looks clean!
Good observation. But it is highly possible that the plastic/rubber used to cover the aperture for the bulb is gone. That way a lot of dust gets into the headlight reflector assembly. It happened to my Fusion and that is why i doubt if it is flood affected
MAS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th February 2011, 14:14   #22
BHPian

The car seems surprisingly low run considering the fuel it runs on and the year of make. Do check this out. Also as pointed out, the tail lamps are of the second gen Indica's. This could mean the car could have been rear ended making the owner go for a total repair.
In general, I would suggest you to avoid this car. A new Indica Petrol has been a major source of headache for our family, I just wonder what an 8yr old diesel car will hold for you. Also, pre V2 models are notorious for their reliability. This was the learning curve phase for Tata's.
If you do not have a very high running, I suggest look for other Petrol Cars that can be easily available in the same budget. And if you do have a high running, do consider a CNG kit if the fuel is available in your city. Works out to be cheaper than Diesel.
Sinner666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th April 2011, 11:11   #23
BHPian

My first car (indica dsl) was purchased in April 2003 and I was absolutely in love with it. It had a whole series of niggling problems like the horn not working, indicators not working, A/C shutting off occasionally etc etc and I used to love spending time with it.
When I think back I did spend a lot of time and money in the garage and if my wife was not so supportive I would have landed up in a pretty mess with my marriage.
The ONLY reason for someone to buy a second hand indica is Nostalgia.
AGAR GADHI SE PREM HO TO TO PARI KYA KARE
noidea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th March 2015, 15:05   #24
Senior - BHPian

This bug has suddenly bit me.
As most of you know, I already have a 2007 Indica DLG turbo, which is currently in tvm. Due to multiple circumstances, I am expecting to spend a fair amount of time in both chennai & tvm in the near future, and am considering the prospect of buying a second car.

I am not so keen on buying a new car, as I have a bit of liquidity crunch, and I might need to sell it off again within a year or two - which draws me towards a used car, which should reduce the depreciation impact. I've set apart a budget of about 1.5L plus annual expenses of 40-50K

I have been driving around an assortment of wagon R's, alto's and santro's from my friends, and they all feel weird, and rather insubstantial - all of them feel like a downgrade from my Indica. Hence my plan to go for a 2007 or later Indica turbo/CS/Xeta 1.4. I have a fairly good amount of experience with them, so I feel that I'm better off buying a known devil, plus there is the familiarity & the nostalgia.

I'm not in a hurry to buy one - My plan is to keep scanning the classifieds until a good deal comes up and buy it. Would appreciate any inputs on my plan
greenhorn is online now   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 17th November 2015, 15:12   #25
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenhorn View Post
I'm not in a hurry to buy one - My plan is to keep scanning the classifieds until a good deal comes up and buy it. Would appreciate any inputs on my plan
I was reading a thread on the best Hatchback for the Highways. Most of the Bhpians there were recommending the Indica as the Hatchback most suitable for the higways. The Indica is by no means a less accomplished car. Not wanting to sound cliched, I think its the Taxi image that is keeping a lot of buyers away. I have heard stories of Indica owners being flagged down at Bus-stands by Passengers waiting for a Bus and then getting stared at when the Owner did not stop!

I have also been watching Olx regularly and see Indicas available dime-a-dozen. I have heard stories of Taxi Owners sending off Indicas in running condition to the junk yard for 40,000 rupees since there are no buyers for the car. You should easily be able to find a used Indica. Your main problem will come 3-4 years later when you want to sell it

Last edited by TheARUN : 17th November 2015 at 15:14.
TheARUN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th November 2015, 15:56   #26
BHPian

No! Don't get it. My Marina burst into flames when it was 7 years old and had run 79000kms. Nothing was left of the car. There are other cars you could get for this money and they are better than this. As a former Tata owner I'd strongly advise against this.
AnInternetUser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th November 2015, 16:31   #27
BHPian

Quote:
As most of you know, I already have a 2007 Indica DLG turbo, which is currently in tvm. Due to multiple circumstances, I am expecting to spend a fair amount of time in both chennai & tvm in the near future, and am considering the prospect of buying a second car.

I am not so keen on buying a new car, as I have a bit of liquidity crunch, and I might need to sell it off again within a year or two - which draws me towards a used car, which should reduce the depreciation impact. I've set apart a budget of about 1.5L plus annual expenses of 40-50K

I have been driving around an assortment of wagon R's, alto's and santro's from my friends, and they all feel weird, and rather insubstantial - all of them feel like a downgrade from my Indica. Hence my plan to go for a 2007 or later Indica turbo/CS/Xeta 1.4. I have a fairly good amount of experience with them, so I feel that I'm better off buying a known devil, plus there is the familiarity & the nostalgia.

I'd suggest you go for a Maruti esteem petrol 2006,2007 in that budget. A lot of them in good condition in the market. Spend the 'annual expenses' on fuel. You might be able to get decent resale too.
drsingh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th November 2015, 16:52   #28
Senior - BHPian

Posted late; been meaning to reply since a long time.

Quote:
My suggestion: Look around for a decent Honda City ( VTEC/ 'Dolphin' ) or a Baleno.

Both lovely cars, and the driving experience is simply sublime- The Baleno in particular, is lovely to drive.

The 'Dolphin' City (and also the V-TEC) feels a bit vague- the brakes feel overservoed. And yeah- the handling and overall stability isn't great.

But THAT engine. When VTEC finally kicks in.....

Last edited by FINTAIL : 17th November 2015 at 16:56.
FINTAIL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th November 2015, 18:01   #29
BHPian

Or , stick to the TATA brand and buy a brand new TATA Nano Twist ( from any large dealer's unsold stock) . Will come within your budget and in fact if you go in for a used Nano, you will have lots of money left over even after buying a damn good car!
Oh, and what annual expenses with a Nano?

Last edited by john doe : 17th November 2015 at 18:04.
john doe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th November 2015, 11:37   #30
Senior - BHPian

I've given up the idea after i was hit with around 80K worth of expenses for this year for my current indica - I've spent 40K already, the other 40K has been deferred. It was extremely sobering
greenhorn is online now   Reply With Quote