Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > What Car? > Hatchbacks


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 27th April 2012, 11:03   #211
Newbie
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 18
Thanked: 5 Times
Default Re: Upgrading from Swift. Which Hatch?

Optimum choice would be to go for the Figo TDCI Titanium. Diesel makes more sense and Figo performs well enough to keep the smile intact.
ABerry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th April 2012, 21:29   #212
BHPian
 
satyamkaushik's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 264
Thanked: 103 Times
Default

I got a quote for my santro as well from the ford guys, they are giving me 1.55 for it.
So its not much of a difference between the old swift and the santro.

I was thinking of selling of my santro and keep the swift.

Santro is a segment below the swift and the swift is better drive any day.

What say ?

And was confused between the figo diesel zxi and the titanium ?
Which one should i opt for ?
satyamkaushik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th April 2012, 22:39   #213
BHPian
 
Shome's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 238
Thanked: 90 Times
Default Re: Upgrading from Swift. Which Hatch?

You already have another swift! which is a better handler than the older one in my humble opinion. Why do you want both! Sell that and keep the santro.

But if I was you, I would sell both the petrols i.e. the older swift and the Santro and go for the Figo diesel. But thats just me
Shome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th April 2012, 22:56   #214
BHPian
 
DRIVE_ADDICT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 409
Thanked: 180 Times
Default Re: Upgrading from Swift. Which Hatch?

Quote:
Originally Posted by satyamkaushik View Post
I got a quote for my santro as well from the ford guys, they are giving me 1.55 for it.
So its not much of a difference between the old swift and the santro.

I was thinking of selling of my santro and keep the swift.

Santro is a segment below the swift and the swift is better drive any day.

What say ?

And was confused between the figo diesel zxi and the titanium ?
Which one should i opt for ?
No need to be confused, if you can afford to go for TITANIUM go for it.. Since it comes with Airbag and ABS which is a life saver in emergency situation. Also 2012 ZXI got some of its existing features stripped down by Ford, No electric ORVMs, No seat height adjust, No rear wipers. Plus TITANIUM comes with Alloys also.
DRIVE_ADDICT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th April 2012, 00:06   #215
BHPian
 
satyamkaushik's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 264
Thanked: 103 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shome
You already have another swift! which is a better handler than the older one in my humble opinion. Why do you want both! Sell that and keep the santro.

But if I was you, I would sell both the petrols i.e. the older swift and the Santro and go for the Figo diesel. But thats just me
The old swift and the new swift are 2 completely different cars.
The feel while driving, the interiors , plus the old being a Lxi and the new one a Vxi there are a whole lot of differences between the two.

I cant sell of both the hatches. That would leave me with two hatches and i would have to use the civic as well for the daily use, because at present the civic stays at home and the others are used by me, my sis and my dad on a daily basis.
satyamkaushik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th April 2012, 00:42   #216
BHPian
 
DevilsCry's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Delhi
Posts: 557
Thanked: 503 Times
Default Re: Upgrading from Swift. Which Hatch?

Quote:
Originally Posted by satyamkaushik View Post
The feel while driving, the interiors , plus the old being a Lxi and the new one a Vxi there are a whole lot of differences between the two.
Even though I own a Figo myself and love its driving dynamics, I love Hyundai i20 more because it gives me the most premium feel among hatchbacks, second to none. I often wonder if Figo is really worth its dynamics and zero turbo-lag. Yes, i20 is overpriced, like you said but for me, the premium pricing of i20 is totally worth it!

But i20 is not without flaws. I guess you already know about its steering rattling problem, poor AC and obscene maintenance cost. If I would go with my heart, I would go with i20. If I use my head, I would go for Figo Titanium. Figo is already so cheap, so why not spend a few extra bucks to get Titanium for the safety, namely ABS + EBD? This will give me peace of mind.

As for other cars, it is hard to pick another car over i20 and Figo diesels. Hope this helps

Btw, I noticed that Shome above owns a Swift and yet says he would go for a Figo. I am a Figo owner and yet I say that I would go for i20
DevilsCry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th April 2012, 03:17   #217
BHPian
 
Shome's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 238
Thanked: 90 Times
Default Re: Upgrading from Swift. Which Hatch?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevilsCry View Post

Btw, I noticed that Shome above owns a Swift and yet says he would go for a Figo. I am a Figo owner and yet I say that I would go for i20
Hey Devil....the only reason I suggested the Figo was because he already has a Swift. After the Swift, Figo is the best option available. I like cars with good dynamics and if Figo had a better engine, I probably would have bought that instead of the swift :P
Shome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th April 2012, 13:12   #218
BHPian
 
satyamkaushik's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 264
Thanked: 103 Times
Default

Figo is definitely at the top amongst its contenders..
Will have a word with dad for the titanium rather than the zxi.

Figo is simply has a distinct drive from the others, tested the polo the swift vdi even the fabia but there's none like the figo.

The only thing it lacks is the rear power windows, but thats a minor thing, one can live with it.

Heard about the poor headlights as well but i guess that can be take care of by an after market solution.
Just a thought, will upgrading the stock bulbs prove any good ?
satyamkaushik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th April 2012, 14:25   #219
BHPian
 
DevilsCry's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Delhi
Posts: 557
Thanked: 503 Times
Default Re: Upgrading from Swift. Which Hatch?

Quote:
Originally Posted by satyamkaushik View Post
Heard about the poor headlights as well but i guess that can be take care of by an after market solution.
Just a thought, will upgrading the stock bulbs prove any good ?
Fog lamps solve the problem. I guess Titanium comes with fog lamps so no need to worry about the headlights. The only aftermarket stuff I can think of is tyres. Mine came with MRF tyres. Though they are very tough but I would like quieter and grippier tyres. An international brand like Yokohama makes Figo even more comfy, silent and easy to push.
DevilsCry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th April 2012, 17:09   #220
Senior - BHPian
 
Epic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 1,246
Thanked: 335 Times
Default Re: Upgrading from Swift. Which Hatch?

Quote:
Originally Posted by satyamkaushik View Post
I am planning to replace one of the above cars, confused whether to replace the Old Swift Lxi or the Santro Xing.
Quote:
Originally Posted by satyamkaushik View Post
After getting done with the old car, which new car should i opt for ? Buy a petrol or a diesel ?
Well firstly, are you looking for an enthusiastic car or a regular city driving car?


Quote:
Originally Posted by satyamkaushik View Post
Next comes the Ford Figo diesel.
I had a smile on my face after i test drove it.
The TDCi has no lag, its a fun to drive car, happy with the way it handles and when it comes to the price its a total Value for money car. Well theres a lot already talked about the car on other threads so there is nothing much to say.
The Ford Figo is definitely a VFM choice but I personally did not like it. As far as I have heard, Ford's like all American cars are a bit expensive to mantain too. Unless, that has changed now like in the case of Skoda.

Quote:
Originally Posted by satyamkaushik View Post
Also visited the VW showroom for the Polo, the car indeed is a killer on looks, the inside too gives a nice feel over all.
Also did a test drive the car is a bit noisy thats what i felt.
You probably found the car noisy as it must have been the 1.2. It has a 3 cylinder engine so it is bound to be noisy. Try out the 1.6 too.

I chose it simply because of it's driving characteristics. Pure enthusiasts car!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by satyamkaushik View Post
The i-gen i20 is just too over priced. The punto is a great looking car but what puts me off is the TATA name attached to it and others at home are not keen on even having a look at it.
Agree on both counts!

Quote:
Originally Posted by satyamkaushik View Post
Had also thought about the fabia , but the experience i had at the showroom (the one at moti nagar) pissed me off.
there was no one to entertain me, i had to wait for about 15 mins for someone to attend me.
When i asked the guy to tell me more about the car, he replied " sir khud dekh lo aapke aage hi hai car".
Then i already have heard a lot about the skoda after sales, so the fabia is not something i am looking for.
Keep away. After sales service is still an issue here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by satyamkaushik View Post
The old swift and the new swift are 2 completely different cars.
The feel while driving, the interiors , plus the old being a Lxi and the new one a Vxi there are a whole lot of differences between the two.
If you go through my thread, I upgraded from a Swift and test drove most of the models mentioned here too and my first choice was the new 2011 Swift again, but I somehow didn't like it as compared to the old one. Felt much smaller and didn't really find it an upgrade as nothing much had changed in the new model.

But the Polo 1.6 just blew me away on its looks, power and mainly quality! Yes it is pretty overpriced and I was probably lucky to get good discounts on it so it ended up being priced just 20k more than the Swift Zxi so it was totally worth it for me.

However, other than the price, the main turing point was the 6 year anti corrosion warranty offered by VW and by no other manufacturer I know. I had alot of issues with corrosion on my Swift.
Epic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th April 2012, 01:13   #221
BHPian
 
satyamkaushik's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 264
Thanked: 103 Times
Default Re: Upgrading from Swift. Which Hatch?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevilsCry View Post
Fog lamps solve the problem. I guess Titanium comes with fog lamps so no need to worry about the headlights. The only aftermarket stuff I can think of is tyres. Mine came with MRF tyres. Though they are very tough but I would like quieter and grippier tyres. An international brand like Yokohama makes Figo even more comfy, silent and easy to push.
Even though I own a Figo myself and love its driving dynamics, I love Hyundai i20 more because it gives me the most premium feel among hatchbacks, second to none. I often wonder if Figo is really worth its dynamics and zero turbo-lag. Yes, i20 is overpriced, like you said but for me, the premium pricing of i20 is totally worth it!
Read in some thread that even the OEM fog lamps from ford are not that effective. Well that's completely a secondary thing and can be sorted out for sure once i personally experience it.

I like the i20 on the looks, the interiors are definitely class apart.
but the car is just out of my budget, as i m looking for a diesel and that would cost me above 7-8L on road delhi.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Epic View Post
Well firstly, are you looking for an enthusiastic car or a regular city driving car?
Well i do dont know
i want something in between both of these.
i am not one of those, who'll get a tuning box for the car, but am certainly not the one who's happy with what ever he gets to drive.
i love to drive, and i need a car which is fun on the roads.
The handling, the control, the pickup, the breaking and the "SPEED".
In short i want an all rounder.
Confused..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Epic View Post
Ford's like all American cars are a bit expensive to mantain too. Unless, that has changed now like in the case of Skoda.
The representative at ford told me that, they have now started manufacturing parts in india itself instead of importing them and that has reduced the cost of maintenance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Epic View Post
You probably found the car noisy as it must have been the 1.2. It has a 3 cylinder engine so it is bound to be noisy. Try out the 1.6 too.
The 1.6 has a petrol engine i guess.
i am presently looking for a diesel option right now, and the polo diesel didn't impress me much with it's engine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Epic View Post
my first choice was the new 2011 Swift again, but I somehow didn't like it as compared to the old one. Felt much smaller and didn't really find it an upgrade as nothing much had changed in the new model.
I don't know but somehow i am happy with both my swifts, both of them seem to 2 different cars for me and give me a different experience.
If i didn't have the swift Vxi already, i would thought for the Vdi instead of the Figo.
But now its a different story, i dont want to have a Swift garage in my house having 3 of them (if i get a diesel as well). lol
satyamkaushik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th April 2012, 11:15   #222
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Delhi
Posts: 2,133
Thanked: 1,002 Times
Default Re: Upgrading from Swift. Which Hatch?

Quote:
Originally Posted by satyamkaushik View Post
But now its a different story, i dont want to have a Swift garage in my house having 3 of them (if i get a diesel as well). lol
Actually it is not a bad idea

Seriously, I would get rid of both the older cars and get a new one. If you consider the overheads of keeping a spare car, it is better to dispense with them and drive the Civic regularly.
Aroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th April 2012, 13:12   #223
Senior - BHPian
 
S2!!!'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 1,810
Thanked: 9,104 Times
Default Re: Upgrading from Swift. Which Hatch?

Quote:
Originally Posted by satyamkaushik View Post
Well i do dont know
i want something in between both of these.
i am not one of those, who'll get a tuning box for the car, but am certainly not the one who's happy with what ever he gets to drive.
i love to drive, and i need a car which is fun on the roads.
The handling, the control, the pickup, the breaking and the "SPEED".
In short i want an all rounder.
Confused..
l
Just get the Ritz VDi and end your confusion. It is like your beloved Swift but is not a Swift. It handles well (not Figo or Punto well but well), has a tried and tested DDiS motor, decent equipment and adequate room inside. Moreover you get the Maruti Service advantage and that should be a good enough reason for you to get over the rear look of the car.
S2!!! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th April 2012, 13:35   #224
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Chennai
Posts: 61
Thanked: 6 Times
Default Re: Upgrading from Swift. Which Hatch?

I would encourage you to TD the Fiat Punto 90 HP. If you were happy with your Swift, it's the same engine that does duty there; only this time it's 15 more horses and variable geometry. Plus, notice that there is zero body roll and the ride and handling is the same at 40 or 140 KMPH. However, if you crave extreme initial acceleration; the Punto is not a straight line performer in the 1st and 2nd gear due to an outdated gearbox. But if you are a highway star, it doesn't get better than this.
Relativity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st May 2012, 20:01   #225
BHPian
 
satyamkaushik's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 264
Thanked: 103 Times
Default Re: Upgrading from Swift. Which Hatch?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aroy View Post
Actually it is not a bad idea

Seriously, I would get rid of both the older cars and get a new one. If you consider the overheads of keeping a spare car, it is better to dispense with them and drive the Civic regularly.
I do drive the civic about once/twice a week.
its not just the running cost of the civic, it is also the size of the car.
All my traveling is in the city (including other members in the family), and finding a parking space is a big issue in Delhi. Moreover there are place where i just cant take the civic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by S2!!! View Post
Just get the Ritz VDi and end your confusion. It is like your beloved Swift but is not a Swift. It handles well (not Figo or Punto well but well), has a tried and tested DDiS motor, decent equipment and adequate room inside. Moreover you get the Maruti Service advantage and that should be a good enough reason for you to get over the rear look of the car.
I personally dont like the rear of the car, i feel it's a bit oddly shaped, plus it's a bit dated as well.
I had driven the car once, its was nice but nothing great about the car.
Somehow i just dont like it

Quote:
Originally Posted by Relativity View Post
I would encourage you to TD the Fiat Punto 90 HP. If you were happy with your Swift, it's the same engine that does duty there; only this time it's 15 more horses and variable geometry. Plus, notice that there is zero body roll and the ride and handling is the same at 40 or 140 KMPH. However, if you crave extreme initial acceleration; the Punto is not a straight line performer in the 1st and 2nd gear due to an outdated gearbox. But if you are a highway star, it doesn't get better than this.
Actually as i mentioned i need a city car, I hardly use any highway.
For sure the Punto is a beautiful looking car but i found the interiors a bit dull, not so impressive and my heartbeat increases thinking about the A$$ and the TATA tag.
satyamkaushik is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
From a hot hatch to a HOTTER hatch : A pre-worshipped '02 Fiat Palio 1.6 GTX swiftnfurious Long-Term Ownership Reviews 70 13th July 2017 10:35
Upgrading the Swift DDis Suspension Zahir Modifications & Accessories 1 10th April 2009 11:48
Which bike: Upgrading from CD100ss kkr2k2 Motorbikes 26 15th April 2007 21:58
upgrading tyres and alloys for swift vxi in chennai ravisak Tyre & Alloy wheel Section 8 9th September 2006 20:30
Upgrading to a 4-wheeler? Which one? Haque Hatchbacks 28 19th October 2005 22:01


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 10:23.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks