Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Indian Car Dealerships

Old 4th May 2011, 23:24   #31
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: Timing belt snaps, engine damaged. Who is responsible?

[quote=SS-Traveller;2338714]Err... you mean none of the petrol engines in the world is an interference engine?
quote]

That is what I was told by a very experienced mech. If I am wrong then I am sorry. I take back what I said. But I do need to do some studying on this matter.
pgsagar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th May 2011, 23:32   #32
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgsagar View Post
..... It makes a world of difference between petrol and diesel when it comes to snapping of timing belt. In petrol cars, nothing happens when timing belt breaks.....
.... But in case of a diesel car, any make, all the hell breaks loose. Because all diesel engines are interference types ....
IIRC, pgsagar, I had expressed my doubts on your similar post in some other thread.

If timing belt snaps, it will cause similar damage to a petrol engine and a diesel engine. Mine is a Petrol engine, and will get damaged in case of timing chain failure.

Timing belt - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Last edited by dhanushs : 4th May 2011 at 23:43.
dhanushs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th May 2011, 23:33   #33
BHPian

Quote:
chandan Re: Timing belt snaps, engine damaged. Who is responsible?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Naparajito
Sorry to hear that. But in my opinion its cheap, as Mahindra Logan's costs a whooping Rs. 1 lakhs.

Are you sure we're talking about the same problem here ??
Ya I'm pretty sure, when my dad used to work for mahindra he used to look after more than 1000 logans. I asked him about this, he said its too costly for the 1.5Dci.

The whole engine head needs to replaced if it is damaged:(.

Last edited by Naparajito : 4th May 2011 at 23:34.
Naparajito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th May 2011, 09:58   #34
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragul View Post
I think one can claim much more than the cost of repair as damages for the mental agony and resulting unpleasant experiences. some extra moolah will restore a peaceful outlook and massage the mind into relaxation.

Besides its not about the 23k alone. Its also about making a point and forcing corrective action on the part of Hyundai.

--Ragul

Sure go ahead make a BIG noise at Hyundai..one should put one's point across. But the time & effort that will go into fighting a case in the consumer forum may not be worth the effort is what I am saying.

Cheers

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgsagar View Post
It is strange that discussion has run into 2 pages but neither thread starter has pointed out nor any one else ( including some senior BHPians ) have asked whether the car is petrol or diesel. It makes a world of difference between petrol and diesel when it comes to snapping of timing belt. In petrol cars, nothing happens when timing belt breaks. The car stalls. You put in a new belt and be on your way within an hour or two's job. But in case of a diesel car, any make, all the hell breaks loose. Because all diesel engines are interference types, i.e. piston tops and valves occupy same space at different times ( because of high compression of diesel engines ). So, when timing belt breaks in a diesel car, pistons and valves run into each other under great impact and it destroys upper half of the engine. sometimes, it even blows the entire engine -- con-rods bending and the worst case scenario being busted crankshaft.

The cost of repair as mentioned in the first post itself, clearly tells that it could only be a petrol. Had it been a diesel one would incur far greater expense. But yes your observation is good

Last edited by .anshuman : 5th May 2011 at 13:17. Reason: Back to Back post within 30mins, Please use Multi-quote button when quoting more than one post. Thanks
Ricky_63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th May 2011, 13:00   #35
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by chandan View Post
Rs 40/km if it is outstation. In my case, I had to pay for 157km, from Mysore to HNpura & back.
Ouch!! That's quite a steep price. Even a full truck load will not cost that much. Is this a standard across all A.S.S's?

How much do these people usually charge for towing if it's within the city limits?
ajman28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th May 2011, 14:32   #36
BHPian

Towing charges here has been exorbitant by about 2-3 K

On the timing belt itself having not been replaced and the car failing the dealership is responsible and you should hold them responsible

In the case of my accent in 2006-7 after the 60000km service the oil filter was not changed as there was none in stock and the car broke down after a high speed run in the ECR.

After the break down instead of towing the car they started the car, it made a high cluter noise and even after repeated requests from us to stop.

Kun Hyundai was held responsible and had to pay out close to 60000 for the entire engine repair works

You have to fight them before the delivery of the vehicle otherwise gets very difficult

Nevertheless i think you should go ahead and fight it with your A S S , can be through consumer court too
kaushikkrishnan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th May 2011, 14:45   #37
DKG
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
It is not your fault at all. You can go to consumer court, and charge them with negligence. You are getting all services done from Hyundai, and its their responsiblity. You are not even supposed to know what should be done at how many kms.
I suggest you write to hyundai, or try the consumer court route.
totally !! Chandan you really should do this.

A mfg honours a warranty claim as long as a vehicle is regularly serviced as per the schedule. Which implies that a mfg expects a car to be in the best of condition as long as its being serviced by their dealer. Now your timing belt snapping has to do with the dealer being negligent and hence the onus rests squarely on the dealer to have to bear the brunt of this negligence and a mfg should demand it be addressed or else they could write you a cheque out of goodwill

Last edited by DKG : 5th May 2011 at 14:50.
DKG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th May 2011, 13:13   #38
BHPian

Don't waste your time and money. You may have a chance if the service center had missed out replacing the part at 80000km service. They had clearly mentioned as not replaced due to non availability of stock. You should not have taken delivery at that point . Once you took delivery knowing well that the part was not replaced, the responsibility is on you to get it replaced later. The service center will say that they assumed that you had got it replaced at some other place , since you had not asked for replacement in subsequent services.
raju2512 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th May 2011, 10:23   #39
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: Trident Hyundai goofs Up !!

Quote:
Originally Posted by chandan View Post
Well, they did not inform me. I just had a look at the service advisor's comment sheet after this incident & realized they had overlooked it. Had they informed me then, i surely would have asked them to change at 90k.
I don't think in this case they will be responsible, as the SA seems to have done his part by mentioning that it needs to be replaced, but is out of stock. Now, it's the owner's duty to follow up on the item and get it replaced and going strictly by the letter, not drive your car around.

Please make sure you get more involved with the car's maintenance. It's a good thing that you have been dealing with an authorized service centre and have been maintaining the records/documents. That should serve you well in future in case something similar takes place. There are many things we take for granted, when we send our vehicles in for servicing or repairs. It is better to make sure these things are explicitly mentioned and understood, preferably in writing.
honeybee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th May 2011, 20:51   #40
BHPian

Default Re: Trident Hyundai goofs Up !!

Quote:
Originally Posted by honeybee View Post
I don't think in this case they will be responsible, as the SA seems to have done his part by mentioning that it needs to be replaced, but is out of stock. Now, it's the owner's duty to follow up on the item and get it replaced and going strictly by the letter, not drive your car around.

Please make sure you get more involved with the car's maintenance. It's a good thing that you have been dealing with an authorized service centre and have been maintaining the records/documents. That should serve you well in future in case something similar takes place. There are many things we take for granted, when we send our vehicles in for servicing or repairs. It is better to make sure these things are explicitly mentioned and understood, preferably in writing.
Right said Fred !!! We all should get more involved with the car's maintenance. Especially read the "Repair order" sheet that comes with the cash invoice. There is a box with heading "Remarks & advise for customer, if any ", this is very important. I'm sure this reflects in the service record too, so it's also the duty of the A.S.S to follow the comment atleast at the next service. Wish they could follow up on this more than reminding us about the service due or making calls for feedback on service.

Anyways, here's the detailed bill:

coolant: 210.49
belt V 614.79
gasket 64.17
thermostat assy: 433.21
gasket-water pump: 153.18
water pump assy: 1779.39
tensioner assy-vlv timing belt: 1301.37
belt-valve timing 1319.05
gasket-cylinder head: 1474.26
seal-valve stem 821.46
valve-exhaust: 673.16
valve-intake: 796.78
seal-oil: 267.65
plug assy-spark: 213.21
consumables: 400.13

plus tax at 14%: Total: 12039.0

towing charges: 6080.00
lathe charges: 2000.00
head assy-cylinder: 1128.5

plus tax at 10.3%: total: 10156.0

Grand total: 22195.0

Looks like we have a mixed opinion here as regards claiming damages from them. I would not be interested simply because it requires a whole lot of time, energy, patience & money. I donot have any of these right now. Thank you all for your valuable suggestions
chandan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th October 2012, 07:49   #41
Senior - BHPian

Is there a list of which cars have an interference engine and which don't? In particular, does the Swift petrol have an interference engine or not?
carboy is online now   Reply With Quote