Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Indian Car Dealerships

Old 5th July 2011, 15:51   #16
Distinguished - BHPian

Default Re: ‘Torque Automotive have sold me a used car’ - Yet another Skoda story

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alter_Ego View Post
Manufacturer is responsible for the dealer.Thats the significance of the "AUTHORIZED" word in the dealership tag.

Moreover its the Manufactures duty to ensure no unfair practices are followed at their dealership.The manufactures can take up the dealership to task in case of reporting of such instances.
I should have said this earlier.

While I agree that Skoda is responsible for its dealer, I made the earlier statement (about how is it Skoda's mistake) going by most of the replies which said Skoda is this-and-that.
libranof1987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th July 2011, 15:57   #17
BHPian

Default Re: ‘Torque Automotive have sold me a used car’ - Yet another Skoda story

Quote:
Originally Posted by libranof1987 View Post
I should have said this earlier.

While I agree that Skoda is responsible for its dealer, I made the earlier statement (about how is it Skoda's mistake) going by most of the replies which said Skoda is this-and-that.
Agreed.

But the fact remains that inspite of such widespread reports of scams happening in almost all Skoda dealerships across india, Skoda India has failed to reign in its dealers.I love almost all the skoda products(except Fabia) and they are excellent VFM but thats where it ends.Own one and then you are left to fight a lone battle with the dealers and Authorised service centres.

If Skoda had kept a check on the dealership practices , instances like this could have been avoided.
Alter_Ego is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 5th July 2011, 16:01   #18
Senior - BHPian

I believe it is too early to draw any conclusions here. Too many loop holes in the story.
Yes, the dealer made a mistake in not updating the database.
But, have they mentioned:
1) Kms on the Odo
2) If the door was actually damaged, was the owner not aware of this while taking delivery of the car?

The owner can actually take the VIN and go to the RTO to make things more clear.
That said, I agree, Skoda woes just dont seem to end.
Swanand Inamdar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th July 2011, 16:40   #19
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alter_Ego View Post
Manufacturer is responsible for the dealer.Thats the significance of the "AUTHORIZED" word in the dealership tag.
I doubt if the actual 'selling' of the car has anything to do with the manufacturer. If the dealer sold it to two different people, it's the dealer's mistake, not the manufacturer. The manufacturer would be responsible only for the manufacturing defects in the vehicle. So let's not be overly hasty in blaming it on Skoda.
honeybee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th July 2011, 16:41   #20
BHPian

I am a little confused here. How can a car which was not registered with RTO be called a used car? Even if the dealer has a different owners name in service booklet, it has no significance because RTO registration is the final word.

Also, I don't think dealers allow a user to use car without registration and change the car at their fancy if they find it unfit.If it was a Demo car, the owner is at fault as he should have checked the car before taking delivery.
GearOn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th July 2011, 17:02   #21
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by honeybee View Post
I doubt if the actual 'selling' of the car has anything to do with the manufacturer. If the dealer sold it to two different people, it's the dealer's mistake, not the manufacturer. The manufacturer would be responsible only for the manufacturing defects in the vehicle. So let's not be overly hasty in blaming it on Skoda.
Question is why does this happen only with Skoda dealers! If it had been BMW, the dealer would've lost his dealership. If you think 'perhaps, for premium cars', trust me Maruti-Suzuki isn't far behind. I was amazed at the concern the sales guy at MS had to satisfy my friend, when she bought her Alto. Looks like Skoda is too easy with its dealers.

But I agree that the details in the present case is too sketchy to conclude anything. Did the owner get a follow-up call from Skoda after he purchased it? That would settle the doubts i guess. The service booklet part does make me smell something fishy though.

I own a Skoda - happy with the car, but not with the dealer.
2cents is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th July 2011, 23:05   #22
Senior - BHPian

OK, so what's new in this? This just one more "Yet another Skoda story".

Pity such good cars have to meet this fate. But then, if the manufacturer doesn't care about it, well, you know the fate even before you buy one
sachinj12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th July 2011, 23:21   #23
Team-BHP Support

He drove the car for a whole year and then decided that it was sold to him "used"? How on earth is he going to prove that, pray?

Did Mr. Dagaat least get an RC book in his name? Am sure the local RTO willl be happy to inform him if he is the first owner. And of course the VIN number will help.

Seeing someone else's name on your service receipt is a nasty shock no doubt; it's unlikely that in these days of computerisation someone can make an error like that. So he needs to proceed carefully, gather all possible evidence and stick to the facts, which he doesn't seem to be doing.
noopster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th July 2011, 23:22   #24
Senior - BHPian

If it's true, then Skoda should probably close down India operations or get new trustworthy dealers. But for that person, it's just a simple check for VIN that will tell him the date of manufacturing. Ideally it should not be more than 1 month within date of purchase.
theragingbull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th July 2011, 23:52   #25
BHPian

It's wrong to point fingers at the manufacturer.
AFAIK, the manufacturer "sells" the car to the dealer. It's the dealer's responsibility to further sell it to a consumer.
True, Skoda India hasn't been able to put up some strict ground rules for its dealer, and considering it's been in India for about a decade, it ought to have learnt from the bad owner's reviews. But I also wonder whether everybody sends in their complaints to Skoda?
If the dealer is unable to handle your complaint, I think it's better to write to Skoda before thinking of taking legal action.

To me, this entire story looks a little exaggerated. Even if the dealer is responsible, it's still wrong to blame the manufacturer. Of course, a dealer is the point if contact between the customer and the manufacturer, but marketing practices are mostly autonomous actions by dealers.
AbiDas is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 6th July 2011, 11:16   #26
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AbiDas View Post
It's wrong to point fingers at the manufacturer.
AFAIK, the manufacturer "sells" the car to the dealer. It's the dealer's responsibility to further sell it to a consumer.
True, Skoda India hasn't been able to put up some strict ground rules for its dealer, and considering it's been in India for about a decade, it ought to have learnt from the bad owner's reviews. But I also wonder whether everybody sends in their complaints to Skoda?
If the dealer is unable to handle your complaint, I think it's better to write to Skoda before thinking of taking legal action.

To me, this entire story looks a little exaggerated. Even if the dealer is responsible, it's still wrong to blame the manufacturer. Of course, a dealer is the point if contact between the customer and the manufacturer, but marketing practices are mostly autonomous actions by dealers.

It is the manufacturers responsibility to keep an eye on the dealers - if you and I start "buying" from Maruti and then start selling it - nobody will buy from us. If we next put up a board in front of our "dealership" that we are authorised Maruti dealers - Maruti would quickly put an end to the non-sense. Now if that is how it works - Maurti is responsible for how their "authorised" dealers behave

Replace Maruti in the above with Ford, Hyundai, Honda ... and the story remains the same. why should Skoda be different? Because they have a habit of keeping shitty dealers?
vina is offline   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 6th July 2011, 11:40   #27
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AbiDas View Post
Of course, a dealer is the point if contact between the customer and the manufacturer
This is precisely the reason why the onus is on Skoda to look into this matter. I fully agree that legally it is the dealership which is at fault, and if the customer's claims are found true, legal action will be initiated against the dealer. However, it is Skoda's name that will bear the brunt and get a bad reputation. Why? Beacuse the onus of 'authorising' the dealership lies with the OEM, in this case Skoda. The OEM sets forth certain prerequisites and guidelines that needs to be met for a business / individual to start selling its (the OEM's) products. The dealer is not selling its own products and services, it is selling Skoda's.

What does the dealer lose in this whole affair? Very little. For all you know it can shut its Skoda shop and start a Ford.

Notice how your manufacturer's warranty gets void if you tinker with your car in an independent garage. That is because your car manufacturer has legally designated your A. S. S to carry out after sales service on your car on its behalf.

Last edited by Gooney : 6th July 2011 at 11:42.
Gooney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th July 2011, 16:04   #28
Senior - BHPian

All Authorised Dealers are Selling and providing After sales service on behalf of the manufacturer. It is Manufacturers' responsibility (Or bottomline ) to ensure that no malpractices are carried out. There can be lot of checks and balances that can be put in place. One of the easiest checks and balance is to have customer invoice by the manufacturer drawn out in the name of customer before the car leaves the factory and insisting that all dealers mandatorily adhere to provide this invoice to end customer before the customer takes the delivery. I am surprised why such a simple process is not put in place by Skoda. In my opinion Skoda will have to take most part of the responsibility for this goofup.
DieselFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th July 2011, 16:50   #29
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by h@r$h@l View Post
‘They have sold me a used car’
Quote:
Originally Posted by poloman View Post
The customer is thinking too much without doing much. Why can't he go to the RTO with VIN details and verify his doubts of ownership.
Quote:
Originally Posted by noopster View Post
Did Mr. Dagaat least get an RC book in his name? Am sure the local RTO willl be happy to inform him if he is the first owner. And of course the VIN number will help.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Swanand Inamdar View Post
The owner can actually take the VIN and go to the RTO to make things more clear.
That said, I agree, Skoda woes just dont seem to end.
If i read the VIN as TMBCHE1Z1AA152581 from the picture then its a Laura Ambiente - Manufactured on 03.06.2010
wildon is offline   (4) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 6th July 2011, 17:20   #30
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildon View Post
If i read the VIN as TMBCHE1Z1AA152581 from the picture then its a Laura Ambiente - Manufactured on 03.06.2010

Well in that case, it was a (very) old car - he bought it in Dec 2010 meaning it was probably a used car (may be used as a TD vehicle, may be something else, but it is hard to imagine the car sitting in the lot for 6 months) as he claims.
vina is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote