Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Indian Car Dealerships

Old 20th July 2011, 15:12   #1
BHPian

Thumbs down My experience with VW Service Centre - VW Secunderabad

I wanted to put down my service experience with VW Secunderabad. I had a small accident with my Vento TDI on June 24 2011. Let me warn you that this is a long post :-)

Actually, it was my mistake. I was travelling to Chilkur, a very famous temple about 30km from Hyderabad. The road was newly laid (converted to 4 lane) till the outer ring road. I was cruising at about 100 and was enjoying the early morning drive. I took my eyes off the road for a second to show my wife the new outer ring road. Please note that there were no sign boards (atleast nothing that I could have missed). The next moment I realized that it is end of the road and I am heading into a roundabout. It was too late and I braked hard. There was still construction going on, so there was lot of sand on the road. This resulted in instant skidding. I had option to either get down the road into rocks head on or sideways. For some reason, I chose sideways. The car went over the rocks and stopped. I was really shocked for a second. This probably was the most stupid moment in my driving ever. Well, I checked my wife and she was fine (we had seat belts fastened so were not thrown around).

Got down and looked the damage. The alloy wheel was scratched, no cracks. The bumper was broken a bit and had come off on the right side. I feared for worst with under body taking a hit. Checked for any leaks and luckily there was none. Took the car out of rocks and it seemed in a good shape to be driven back. We cancelled out program to the temple and headed back. I dropped my wife at my home and headed for VW Secunderabad service station.

And from here, starts my interesting experience with VW. I was present at 9AM at the service station and there was so service advisor around. After waiting for 15-20 mins, a service advised named Ameen turned up. I explained my problem and handed over all the forms for insurance claim. Funnily, I was advised that my insurance company (HDFC Ergo) would be closed on Saturday, and that day being Friday, I was advised to get the car back on Monday. I had never heard of any private insurance company not working on Saturday. With no other option (as I did not wanted to leave the car there), I asked him to check the under body to see if there is any damage and it is actually safe to drive. He just checked the under body at the place where I had parked the car and said all is fine and I can use it but asked me not to drive much. I was not convinced and asked him to take the car in and check the under body. He agreed finally and I went with him. Luckily, there was not much damage. Bumper had to be replaced, under body was scratched at few places but nothing serious. We also noticed that a cover on the oil sump was torn and I asked him to replace this and he confirmed that it will be replaced. We checked the headlamp and I was assured that it was fine i.e. no damage. I was now feeling better as the damage was not as bad as I had expected.

I dropped the car on 27-06-2011 at the service centre. I handed over all the insurance claim forms. This time I was dealing with another service advisor Qutub. He informed me that they do not have a body shop here and it needs to be painted at Madhapur service centre. I asked him to send me the detailed estimate when they open the bumper. I was promised that this will be done. Below things would have to be replaced for sure -
1. Bumper
2. Alloy
3. Plastic lining which covers the wheel well and below bumper area (don't remember what is this called)

Now, starts the fun part.
I did not hear anything till 28-07-2011 and i give them a call to get the status. Qutub said that bumper painting has started and expected to finish in 1-2 days (3-4 days to paint a bumper). He reminds me again that bumper has to be painted in Madhapur service center. I asked about other parts and the approval from HDFC. It was still pending (I had asked for a TR copy for car as my copy was submitted to RTA). They had procured it a day before and had sent it to HDFC for approval. I asked for the estimate. They were below items -

1. FRONT BUMPER
2. FRONT BUMPER RH GRILL
3. FENDER COVERING
4. RH HEAD LGIHT
5. CENTER GRILL WITH CROME
6. ALLOY WHEEL
7. FRONT BUMPER SPOILER
8. RH HEAD LIGHT BRACKET

I was shocked to see headlight in this and enquired with SA. He confirmed that it needs to be replaced as it was damaged. I told him that I had it checked few days ago and it confirmed by the service centre that it is fine. He said the connector below the headlamp was broken and it was only visible when they opened the bumper. I thought it might be possible and asked him to go ahead.

I called SA after 2 days to find out that bumper had not arrived and he may be not able to deliver the car by Friday. I did not like this. I asked him to speed up and try to deliver by Friday or by Saturday. However, by Friday it was clear that they cannot do anything as they had not received the bumper. They promised delivery date of Monday. When I called up on Monday, I was told that bumper had arrived but it was scratched during transportation and they had sent it back for re-painting. I was really pissed off now. German auto gaint cannot get a bumper painted and fitted in car in 7 days. I was also informed that the intercooler is damaged and that has to be replaced. I had no other options but to wait. Unfortunately, there was 2 day bandh in Hyderabad on 29-30 June. However, SA did not inform me that service centre is closed for next 2 days. I had to call them again to check this and was promised delivery on Friday 01-07-2011. I did not like it but again this was beyond their control, but i was expecting a call about this. I escalated this to service manager as well to ensure that I get my car by Friday.

Finally, I get a call from SA on Friday requesting me to collect the car. I should give them due credit where they deserve it. They had done a very good painting job. But that is about it. The bumper was not aligned properly on the side of the impact. I pointed this to SA and the response was that it cannot be aligned as after the impact some panel have been mis-aligned. I felt a bit strange that this is coming from VW. As the gap was not very bad, I decided to collect the car. I also noticed that head lamp was not replaced. Upon enquiry, I was told that head lamp is fine and it was not necessary to replace it. I reminded him about the insurance quote and he said they double checked it later and it is not required. I was really amazed. Yes, they charge 19k for alloy. Be careful with alloys in your car.

Billing took quite some time, paid the remaining amount after insurance pay-out and collected the car. I asked for a feedback form and they did not had it. I drove it for few days and felt that atleast they had done a good job even if they had taken 2 weeks. But even this feeling was short-lived.

About a week after delivery, one fine day I noticed that bumper has popped out on the right side (side which took the impact). I pushed the bumper and the clips locked again. I thought that they had not fit it properly and that could be reason for gaps as well. I took the car to them on the same day. I had to wait for good 45 minutes before someone could attend to me. Qutub was not in, so another person attended to me. I made my intentions very clear about their shabby work done on the bumper. The car was taken in and this time I went with the car. They confirmed what I feared. The bumper was not fitted properly and over a period of time clips gave away. They refit this again and this time the finish was much better and gap was reduced to a large extent. I asked service advisor why I was given a silly reason at the time of delivery about gap. He had no answers and said that he will check with service advisor.
I had forgotten to ask if they had checked the alignment before the delivery as it was not mentioned in the invoice. Again, they were not sure but said mostly it would have been done FOC and that is the reason why it is not present in the bill. I asked for a TD to check if the alignment is a problem. We went for a short TD and the mechanic confirmed that alignment is fine. I was relieved. I asked him to check the engine oil as I was planning for a long drive in 2 weeks and I did not want to come back again. He checked the engine oil and found it good.
He then started filling the water in windshield washer container. To my horror, the water was leaking and there was a small pool below the tyre. I asked what's happening. He said there is some leak. I was now very unhappy. I asked him check the under body to see what could be problem (hoping that it is another small screw problem). When the car was hoisted up, he confirmed that the leak is present for sure and bumper needs to be opened to verify the source. Now, I went down the car and there was another shock waiting for me. The sump cover which was torn was not replaced. The mechanic said that this is a new hit and I assured him it is not. I met service manager and he informed me that he had joined few days ago and he was not aware of my case. I explained him the story and he accepted that it was mistake from their end but he is helpless now. He mentioned that sump cover is about 5k and I was in no mood to pay up that amount. He suggested that as it is a cover and not a critical part, they will get it stitched. I was reluctant but finally gave my approval. The leak was checked and to my shock, the plastic container which holds the water was cracked. They had to replace this and I only agreed to pay 50% of the cost. They agreed and replaced it.
Finally, after 4 hours in the service centre including 45 mins for billing, my car was returned.
I will scan the bill soon and upload it here.

I am scared to take the car back to them now. How can a customer verify if they have verified/replaced all the damaged parts?

Finally, I was certainly not expecting this from VW. And till date, I did not get any call from VW about service feedback. I had a FIAT Palio earlier but atleast they were not this bad.
windsurfer is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 20th July 2011, 15:49   #2
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: My experience with VW Service Centre - VW Secunderabad

This is a clear case of incompetent Authorised Service center. This is what I had expressed in this forum to be beware of for buyers of VW cars. Before jumping into buying a new car one should give a good thought on the after sales service. Skoda is yet another sister company where we have A.S.S. issues.
DieselFan is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 20th July 2011, 16:07   #3
Senior - BHPian

Too many VW threads on the front pages of Team-BHP and all for wrong reasons.
Hope that VW goes through the case of FIAT and learns the lessons before its too late. But then Skoda is their sister company.

@windserfer: Change the A.S.S asap. These guys are clearly not upto the mark.

OT: @windserfer: Palio 1.6 Sport 2006 - Sold??? But why??? That's a cult car.

Last edited by download2live : 20th July 2011 at 16:10.
download2live is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th July 2011, 17:00   #4
BHPian

We have only one dealer in Hyderabad (I mean owned by the same company), changing dealership might not be too helpful here.

download2live : I still miss Palio but I did not had parking place in my apartment and I did not want it to park outside. So, no other option :-(

Last edited by windsurfer : 20th July 2011 at 17:01.
windsurfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th July 2011, 17:11   #5
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by download2live View Post
OT: @windserfer: Palio 1.6 Sport 2006 - Sold??? But why??? That's a cult car.
May be the rising Petrol prices no were no longer making the palio "sport" any sense , because i see the vento is a TDi which means diesel economy was a requirement in purchase !

EDIT: sorry windsurfer, i gave an irrelevant answer probably

Last edited by kri$hna : 20th July 2011 at 17:13.
kri$hna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th July 2011, 17:18   #6
BHPian

I see the parent company is following in Skoda's footsteps, is bad A.S.S. something we should expect from any VW Group Company? I shudder to think of what an Audi owner must go through.
kadanaJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th July 2011, 17:59   #7
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kri$hna View Post

EDIT: sorry windsurfer, i gave an irrelevant answer probably
OT :
Not entirely incorrect, it did play in my mind but the major decision to change the car was CLC option (to save taxes) and not able to get more parking space. Otherwise, i would not have let go my Palio.

I still rate Palio better in handling compared to Vento

Last edited by windsurfer : 20th July 2011 at 18:01.
Old 20th July 2011, 18:41   #8
Senior - BHPian

Sorry to hear your story. Its really scary to feel that VW goes the Skoda way. Shame on them.

On a good note, i have to say the sundaram motors VW service centre in chennai is turning out to be good and are doing a really good job with respect to service and replacement.

They even replaced my friends horns quoting the horn was already on the recall list.
VW2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th July 2011, 19:15   #9
Distinguished - BHPian

Man, you just can't trust the A.S.S., can you?

There shouldn't be any problem changing A.S.S. so if you find this one incompetent, go to the others for your next services.

Btw, haven't you informed VW about this? Not changing parts as promised, not observing damage etc. is not acceptable. What's the point of insurance if you end up paying in the end.

Do have correspondence with VW about this.
libranof1987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th July 2011, 19:20   #10
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by libranof1987 View Post
Man, you just can't trust the A.S.S., can you?

There shouldn't be any problem changing A.S.S. so if you find this one incompetent, go to the others for your next services.

Btw, haven't you informed VW about this? Not changing parts as promised, not observing damage etc. is not acceptable. What's the point of insurance if you end up paying in the end.

Do have correspondence with VW about this.
Well, i am giving VW a week to get back to me. Probably, I would need to write to them to tell them what happened? Atleast, TATA used to call me up every time i picked up my car after service.
Old 20th July 2011, 21:27   #11
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by windsurfer View Post
Well, i am giving VW a week to get back to me. Probably, I would need to write to them to tell them what happened? Atleast, TATA used to call me up every time i picked up my car after service.
This is getting bad! There is another thread on VW Downtown, Bangalore where the service again is not up to the mark. So far the VW service in Bombay & Pune have been good as per @Noopster and other Bombay/Pune Vento owners (touchwood).

Please do not take this lightly. Especially since there is only one dealership in Hyd, all the more important. Even if VW or the dealer doesn't take feedback, please mail them your experience. In fact, I would suggest to send this thread's link too (could help, as they would understand the reach of T-BHP & the effect it would have on future sales)

We have to understand that the individual dealers are mainly are at fault; and VW needs to get cracking on them.
ninjatalli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st July 2011, 08:19   #12
Team-BHP Support

Sorry to hear about your bad experience windsurfer. This raises a question: if I conduct repairs under insurance (as you did) and the service station screws up, do I have teh option to finish the job under insurance as well? I think that's only fair and there was no reason for you to have paid 50% for the part that got missed initially.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjatalli View Post
This is getting bad! There is another thread on VW Downtown, Bangalore where the service again is not up to the mark. So far the VW service in Bombay & Pune have been good as per @Noopster and other Bombay/Pune Vento owners (touchwood).
Nope not me. My first service experience is today (well...it's a monsoon checkup and it's free, but at least I will see how VW Pune treats its customers on the service front- hoping it's better than their sales experience ). Wish me luck!
noopster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st July 2011, 10:44   #13
BHPian

Just to clarify about the 50% for the part that I paid. It is a plastic part and I would have paid the same amount even with insurance. If it was metal part, I would not have paid anything.
The sump cover is also similar story but as this was only a cover, I went for temporary fix. Yes, I am not happy about it but it's not critical either.

Noopster : I have the same question about insurance but I think the claim would have been closed and it will treated as new claim. This is just my view. Can someone confirm this?

Last edited by windsurfer : 21st July 2011 at 10:45.
Old 21st July 2011, 14:23   #14
BHPian

I have written to VW today with a link to this thread. Let's wait and see how serious is VW about after sales.
Old 21st July 2011, 16:41   #15
BHPian

Update on this : VW called me just now. I have provided all the details. They assured me that it will escalated to next level. The funny thing is they think it is a complaint and they want to resolve it. I informed them dealer has fixed all the issues and this is just a feedback on the service.

Let's see how this moves now.
windsurfer is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote