Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Indian Car Dealerships

Old 4th August 2006, 18:00   #61
Senior - BHPian

As quicksilver said, even on my OHC, I had the same problem of misaligned digits as well as oscillation between 20-60km/h markers. And it was a new car. So that may not be an indication...
sandeep108 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th August 2006, 15:52   #62
BHPian

I had seen many cars in True value. I never liked it.. They quite too too high price. One close person working in True value bangalore only told me they quote around 15,000 More.. (leaveving bargain price) coz they give 3 free service & 1 yr warranty.

I personally felt there is no need for this, bcoz Maruti cars rarely get serious engine problem.

I finally got my car from a dealer called Sunil, he is really good at it..
prakash2757 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th September 2006, 11:14   #63
BHPian

Hi,

I had a similar experience.
I bought a second hand 800 in Nov 2001 and the odo was showing 40K It was a 1995 model. After 3 months when I went to RNS motors in Bangalore to service it, their record showed that the odo was at 57000 a year back ! When I called the gentleman( not sure if I should still call him a gentleman) he told that he doesn't understand the technology in reversing the odo and knows nothing of it ! And it was me who purchased the car after test driving it. So my advice: please don't purchase if you suspect any such thing has been done. At least ask for the chronological service records if you like the car very much.
car_whizz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th September 2006, 12:02   #64
BHPian

There is a good resource on how odometer works.
http://auto.howstuffworks.com/odometer1.htm

Tampering is done either by removing the flexible cable which turns the odometer and running the vechicle for long periods in such state or by removing the odometer and physical manipulation. See the link to understand more about it.

This manipulation is a punishable offense in some european states and us states. We should have a similar mechnism to prevent abuse.
Old 5th December 2006, 03:59   #65
Senior - BHPian

Its better to look out for a new car and give up this deal. You dont want to live with this car all your life looking at the odometer everyday and wondering whether its telling the truth or imagining what the real value on that could be. I think its high time we have something like CARFAX in the US to check the vehicle's history. Most people do not buy a car without checkiing CARFAX history in the US.
rr_zen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd August 2007, 11:35   #66
BHPian

Question Is Maruti True Value Trust Worthy?

Hi All,

Would like to know from all fellow members on the forum, how they feel about Maruti True Value. Does everyone here find them trust worthy and do they really do the point checks that they mention they do.

If members have also had some good or bad experiences dealing with True Value that would be helpful and if they could mention the state within the country that would be even better.

Note from the Support Staff: Thread merged with existing. Continue discussion here.

Last edited by aah78 : 23rd August 2007 at 22:58. Reason: note put up.
musicmanaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd August 2007, 13:02   #67
BHPian

their margins are huge for the services offered and i think selling old maruti is not the major purpose of true value. the main idea is to control the second hand car market for the maruti products. second hand value of the vehicle does play a big part in deciding on which new car to buy,

for example people would rather get an esteem than investing in ikon flair although i believe ikon is a better car but does not have good second hand value.there are numerous examples like this.

this is good strategy from maruti's point of view which is being followed now by companies like Honda, Toyota and many more.
msharma_79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd August 2007, 13:29   #68
BHPian

Cool

Hey is this a market survey or an honest enquiry????? You have not stated your reason. Are you a buyer/seller???? Or a company person just doing a market survey sitting in your office.

Sorry your post does not sound quite right.
Country Road is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd August 2007, 13:46   #69
BHPian

With regards to Country Road's query

I'm planning to dispose my 99 carb Zen and get either a New Maruti or a second hand from True Value, and my previous experience buying from a local dealer wasn't very good, atleast I suppose the odo meter will not be tampered when bought from True Value.
musicmanaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd August 2007, 15:03   #70
Distinguished - BHPian

I bought the WagonR from Maruti true value about an year back, and am pretty happy with the services offered.

Warranty is not just in papers, as i have made them replace a few things here and there. Also, the call once in a while to enquire about the condition of the car.

Dealer is popular, trivandrum, kerala.
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd August 2007, 15:22   #71
BHPian

how do you know that your odo meter is not tampered? these things are still being taken care of at the dealers end. so please dont be so sure about it. for warranty they do charge atleast 25% more than the regular market, only benefit i see from the true value is that they dont sell accidental cars.
hackling can help in the local market if you know few things about the car.
msharma_79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd August 2007, 16:26   #72
BHPian

Default There is no TRUTH in MARUTI TRUE VALUE..till now !

This is my sincere view as i have been to various TRUE VALUE centres in chennai and even to their Mela's. One thing is certain . Their profit margin is EXORBITANT .. if someone says that is the price you pay for piece of mind,all i would like to say is there should be a reasonable business approach in making profit. I can quote their price then you know what im trying to convey.

For example- In this week one True value IN CHENNAI is quoting 2.75Lakh for 2007 ALTO LX which has done 300 kms, no flaps.no sun screen & may be 2-3 month old. let it be even 1 month old. do you think this price is reasonable when the new ALTO LX with additonal accessories like all flaps & sun screen is being offered abt 2.83 to 2.84 on raod price- after discount, in chennai. for a second owner car that too only with 1 year true value bumber to bumper warranty- except electrical or rubber part- is being offered for 2.75 ( so u wont get 2 year 40000 kms warranty ). Will MARUTI say we have done 120 point checks & refurbished this one & now it has become NEW. Even if it is NEW what is the cost of depreciations when you become the SECOND OWNER? Just eight thousand .

Another ZEN 2001 at MELA which should be around 180000-190000 with dealer warranty is being offered at 2.47 (??) . 57000 MORE than market price.( ref CAR WALE). When i quoted their huge difference Dealer said we can come down (!!!) to 2,40,000.00.
MARUTI says that we give better value for our existing customers when they come for exchange..does it mean those who go for used car should be penalised. But the truth is MARUTI dealer arranges some other dealer to buy the exchange vehicle and i have seen myself that many are not happy with the price offered.
so the CRUX of the matter is whether you go for low end M800 or 97 98 ZEN & even little used ALTO , SWIFT..TRUE VALUE is literally KILLING in the name of PEACE OF MIND. Buyers who just go by the word MARUTI & TRUE VALUE will come to know " who gets the TRUE VALUE" only after getting to know the real value of their purchase latter or will come to know the true scenario when they start cheking out forums like team-bhp.

IF MARUTI is really keen in delivering TRUE VALUE & DO ACCORDINGLY unorganised dealer will run for their money. Due to TV s high pricing, unorganised dealers - with their pros & cons- are making good business . In this regard i can say MY TVS is better though they give warranty only for Engine & gearBox-for cars which are less than 5 year .But pricing is much better than MARUTI TRUE VALUE & you have various make/brands to choose.

one more add on info. True value has a very good concept as far as having an "online" for selling true value vehicle. But it has its own drawback. In the last few months i have come across many vehicle which are either sold out even before they are placed ONLINE or pricing is higher than what they quote in their online.There were times when vehicle details would be there even 3-4 days after particular car has been sold. so ONLINE has its own hiccups and i even narrated all these ISSUES to few dealers ( they accept these issues and blames the online admin) . 2 months back I took time to inform Maruti TOLL FREE..Honestly i DONT SEEN EVEN AN IOTA OF IMPROVEMENT - even till today early morning.

I have placed these info w/o any bias. I do like MARUTI CARS...But i would not prefer True value till & untill they ACT as per their BRAND NAME---TRUE VALUE both to the buyer & seller . This is POSSIBLE in this Business.
shapath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd August 2007, 17:03   #73
Team-BHP Support

Well you have poured out your woes. However to put in a nutshell, true value is a huge money spinner for dealers and for maruti. They do not do any inspections (forget all that checklist stuff... its only for general consumption and surprise audits). They bank on the fact that if they generally have a look at the car and it looks ok chances are 8 out of 10 cars will be ok for the kind of warranty they give. For this they earn huge premiums on the rates. And if one car proves out to be a bad apple it does not hurt to repair it in warranty because of the huge profits the business brings them.

I learnt all this the hard way 2 years back when I dealt with these guys extensively. I even saw a post on some forum at that time (can't remember where... maybe mouthshut, but not sure) where a person was sueing a local TrueValue dealership because they sold him a car that suffered some sort of an accident in the past. He learnt it after 6 months when his local garagewalla found extensive weldings done on the undercarriage and even in the engine bay. Of course TV washed its hands off saying that the guy probably got into an accident and is now trying to shift the blame on to them.

Moral of the story? All used car dealers are the same... big time con artists. They will always try to take you for a ride as long as you are amenable. So always be wary of these guys and take someone who knows cars. TV is no different and has no halo around its name. And bargain hard... I have known TV and AutomartIndia to reduce the asking price by as much as 50000 rupees on cars.

Last edited by Zappo : 23rd August 2007 at 17:06.
Zappo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd August 2007, 17:31   #74
Senior - BHPian

yes. true value may not be great value for buyer...my first car was a 2000 model ESTEEM LX which i bought from TV @ 2.7 lakhs back in 2004 - when i went back to them in 2005 to sell it off ( a year later ) - they quoted their best offer as 2.15 lakhs !!! surprising thing was when i sold it back only i was told that the value offered is bcos my car had undergone a gas conversion and so the value is low !!! these guys never told me that the car had a gas kit earlier when i bought it from them !!

but one advantage of this is that they give u an indication of the buying/selling price of ur car in that market

if ur a seller - get ur car assessed by TV and if they quote X - u can then go ahead and quote around X+10-15k depending on ur model to a direct buyer

same way if ur a buyer - chek put TV prices and u know u cud pick up a similar car at around 10-15k lower directly from owner...
narayan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd August 2007, 17:32   #75
BHPian

Default Reg Zappo Post...

ZAPPO posted - I have known TV and AutomartIndia to reduce the asking price by as much as 50000 rupees on cars.

Reduced 50000.? can u pl narrate this..in case if this has happened to your known circle.
shapath is offline   Reply With Quote