Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Indian Car Dealerships

Old 27th July 2011, 22:23   #31
BHPian

Default Re: Concept Hyundai: Ill-mannered sales staff

"I'm sorry sir we are currently accepting any further bookings for this vehicle, but would you like to take a look at it "

I don't think that's too tough to say. Millenium Toyota said that to me when I had enquired about the Fortuner and this is despite the fact that they knew I was there for the Innova.

I would attribute the current high handed behaviour of some dealers to one thing.. most of us would still be buy the car ignoring their nasty attitude simply because we want to buy that particular car.

I'm sure most VW owners would not be too happy with the way they were treated, but they still bought their Ventos. The feeling is not wrong cuz where was the option...its finally the car that matters..

Its like saying the spirit of Mumbai brings it back to life after every terrorist attack.. dude.. where is the option..???

Now I won't even talk about Skoda, but like it or not they have an amazing success story despite of all their nonsense.

Fiat Linea is genuinely loved by all despite of their pathetic per sales and after sales. Our own T-bhp member bought the T-jet after selling his Linea cuz it was the love for the car.

The dealers now know this and are unfortunately taking us for granted.

Honda was known to be a bit snobbish at its peak but now.. they've called me atleast 10 times to ask if I'm interested in their offer.

Coming to the point..I think it is a lack of options in the market that leads to this.

The Honda City at its time never had real competitor in the petrol market.
The Fortuner is still leading its segment.
The Innova is a class leader
The VW was storming into the charts till the ANHV arrived.
Same for the i20.

Things would be different if we had a Honda City Diesel or say a Mitsubishi Outlander sport, a Nissan MUV.. basically, genuine and worthy competitors to the class leaders. The market is still not very buyer friendly.

Dealers need to understand the definition of 'Value for money' and Luxury' is not limited to the physicality of the vehicle. Its the entire process that matters. Its not a one-night stand but a proper relationship !

I had a situation where the Modi Hyundai was offering me my brand new i20 with a scratched bonnet. His argument was that the vehicle would anyway get scratched on Mumbai roads. What do say to them ?
Hyundai won't be bothered now because they have their numbers. If they were really bothered then all i20 steerings would have been solved by now.
Toyota did that. They installed larger discs in Fortuners for all owners then

The only company that has kept its cool is Maruti. They have ruled the numbers game and I'm sure you wont find anyone being miffed with the way they were treated at a dealership.
Turbocharged-KC is offline   (4) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 28th July 2011, 10:56   #32
Distinguished - BHPian

Default Re: Concept Hyundai: Ill-mannered sales staff(Bookings stopped for ANHV)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rohan_iitr
By treating prospective customers like dirt, Hyundai is actually increasing the aspirational value of the ANHV. Sounds stupid, but thats the way it works.
LOL, Rohan. That's one absurd logic. BTW, I hope the manufacturers trawling our forum don't assume that your logic applies to all Indians and assume that we love waiting lists.

As it is, it is a shame that we have to wait months for a Swift/Ritz/Dzire/Vento/Etios/Liva and if the customer is also not treated courteously, then it is the pits. The ANHV is a good-looking car and also does most things well I understand, so no one is denying Hyundai the kudos in coming up with a winning product. But just because they cannot meet the demand, it does not mean that they shoo away customers. "We don't take bookings" can be surely said in a non-offending way.
supremeBaleno is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 28th July 2011, 11:19   #33
BHPian

Default Re: Concept Hyundai: Ill-mannered sales staff(Bookings stopped for ANHV)

Quote:
Originally Posted by supremeBaleno View Post
LOL, Rohan. That's one absurd logic. BTW, I hope the manufacturers trawling our forum don't assume that your logic applies to all Indians and assume that we love waiting lists.
Actually this is the same strategy used by ultra premium brands like Louis Vuitton, etc.. VERY top of the line.. "snub to build snob" its referred to as in some studies.

NA for HYUNDAI
Equus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th July 2011, 00:59   #34
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gaurav911 View Post
Oh gosh! Another disgusted customer. Key question here is, would your friend ever buy from that dealership again?
I am assuming that he would still be interested in the car at least. A car is a product that we generally keep, lets say for 5 years and would still purchase the vehicle we actually like, irrespective of the treatment given by some silly SE. However, treating customers by dealerships is an Experience. Dissatisfaction here would lead to a 'never return' policy.

Nope my friend has made up his mind not to buy from the same dealership ever again. He is however (and rightly so) still interested in the car. The only reason why he is looking at options is due to the huge waitlist for the car currently. All I can say is that the dealer lost a potential customer!
carfreak77 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 1st August 2011, 11:04   #35
BHPian

Well seems that the problem is in all places. I guess the complacency of car manufacturers comes from the lack of options for customers. Firstly, there would probably be just 1 or 2 cars that appeal to him(and the family) based on the requirements and budget.
Next, the number of dealerships are limited (barring Maruti's spread). So where is the choice? He invariably has to shunt between those couple of dealers if he wants to buy a particular make !

Quote:
Originally Posted by carfreak77 View Post
Nope my friend has made up his mind not to buy from the same dealership ever again. He is however (and rightly so) still interested in the car. The only reason why he is looking at options is due to the huge waitlist for the car currently. All I can say is that the dealer lost a potential customer!
Yes, that's exactly what i thought!
gaurav911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st July 2017, 22:31   #36
Senior - BHPian

Old thread - but my Gujrati friend needed to hitch a ride on the highway

He got picked up for a fee by a brand new and top end (with steering mounted controls) red i20 being shipped by, according to the driver, a dealer who was moving the car from

Surendra Nagar to Ahmedabad, around 125 km. The odo had been disabled, as confirmed by the driver as well, so that the mileage consumed on this trip wouldn't show up.

According to my friend, based on his google search (haven't confirmed this myself and the driver didn't tell him which dealer he worked for), Concept seems to be the only Hyundai dealer with branches in both cities.

He was pretty annoyed by this, contacted me with "you're a bhpian right, please post it there" so here goes.
hserus is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 24th July 2017, 17:33   #37
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hserus View Post
Old thread - but my Gujrati friend needed to hitch a ride on the highway

He got picked up for a fee by a brand new and top end (with steering mounted controls) red i20 being shipped by, according to the driver, a dealer who was moving the car from

Surendra Nagar to Ahmedabad, around 125 km. The odo had been disabled, as confirmed by the driver as well, so that the mileage consumed on this trip wouldn't show up.

According to my friend, based on his google search (haven't confirmed this myself and the driver didn't tell him which dealer he worked for), Concept seems to be the only Hyundai dealer with branches in both cities.

He was pretty annoyed by this, contacted me with "you're a bhpian right, please post it there" so here goes.
Wow! Great to know that Hyundai also does this (I know its the dealership. But they are the face of the brand after all.)

Its not a big surprise though. It will always be the standard practice to disable to ODO to make customers think they are buying a brand new car which is untouched. Anywhere in the world I guess. The pictures posted even on many TBHP threads are so unbelievably low many times.

The customer thinks its a car barely run, when many a times they get cars that have even been in accidents with touch-ups, re-paints done on them.
Reinhard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th July 2017, 14:50   #38

What you have faced with the Hyundai dealer in your city I have faced something similar with Honda dealerships in Bangalore when I was out to purchase a car as I was thinking of buying the new city in march 2017 (it had a wait time of 2 months min).

It is something quite common in a lot of dealerships. This kind of attitude I feel is shown by dealerships for cars that have a wait period, because it does not generate revenue instantly. In the sense, just pay minimum booking amount and keep waiting and in the meanwhile a lot can happen inside the customer's head like cancel the booking and go for a different car of that segment or something similar. Where as a car that is readily available will be sold soon and the dealership can make immediate money. This is just my thought and I could be totally wrong.

However as far as Hyundai,their dealerships and their after sales service is concerned, I can vouch for them. I have been using an i10 and recently purchased an i20. The entire experience of dealer visits, TD, booking and delivery has been nothing short of exceptional right from the way they have interacted with me to going above and beyond in solving my problems. Not just in one city but I have experienced this across 4 different cities and different service centers.

In fact in one city I had a terrible terrible experience with a Hyundai dealer service when I met with an accident and had to go in for repairs. But I did escalate this issue to Hyundai and they acted promptly and got everything sorted out to my satisfaction. I did not write off Hyundai for this dealer's experience and went on to purchase another Hyundai.

Yours could have been a one off case as this particular dealer is supposed to be the best in town (your own words) and they would not have become the best if they did behave that way with all or most of their customers.

I do understand how you would have felt as I have faced this from different brand dealers and would just like to implore you to not write Hyundai off just for one of their dealer's behavior.

Cheers!

Last edited by Dhananjay_Desai : 26th July 2017 at 14:58. Reason: missed adding a a couple of words to a sentence and rectified some grammatical mistakes
Dhananjay_Desai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th July 2017, 15:10   #39
Senior - BHPian

Hi, this happened to a friend who lives in Gujarat, not to me. I live several states away in TN so I just shared the experience he underwent, because he is not on tbhp and requested me to post it here.

I wouldnt buy a Hyundai personally speaking but that is more because the vehicles are not to my taste, nothing to do with the practices of individual dealers. If you find a good dealer and a car that you like please go ahead, don't let this stop you.
hserus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th July 2017, 15:16   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by hserus View Post
Hi, this happened to a friend who lives in Gujarat, not to me. I live several states away in TN so I just shared the experience he underwent, because he is not on tbhp and requested me to post it here.

Oh no sir, sorry about the confusion. My reply was to the thread owner I am typing everything from my mobile so I'm a hurry forgot to quote his post. Apologies for the confusion.
Dhananjay_Desai is offline   Reply With Quote