Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Indian Car Dealerships

Old 2nd August 2011, 23:16   #1
BHPian

Default Peninsular Honda, Trivandrum - My sad story

Since my purchase of my Honda City ZX EXi car in 2006, I have been facing hardships and terrible service experiences from Peninsular Honda, Trivandrum.
Being the only dealer/service team in Trivandrum, I am unfortunately left to their mercy.

There has been covert replacement of original parts with defective ones when the vehicle has been given for routine service..such parts have included tyres, windscreen wipers, small parts etc.

The service engineers are incapable of locating faults, correcting them or returning calls made to them when they are not available to talk to.

The latest outrage happened during my last service with them at 55000 km. I complained of a noise from my airconditioner which they were unable to diagnose. Finally they suggested replacement of the airconditioner pulley mechanism. Their precise words were "We THINK that is the problem!!!"
My own feeling is that it is a problem with the airconditioner clutch mechanism since the vehicle seems to drag a bit when the airconditioner is switched on.

Moreover, on taking the car out later in the rain, I found to my horror that my super smooth wipers had been removed and some other carís wipers had been installed instead. Adding insult to injury, they also abstracted the cap which covers the wiper nut from both the wipers leaving the nut visible!!
I was so disturbed that they were not able to diagnose my airconditioner problem that I did not notice that these were missing when I took delivery of the car after service.

Anyway, bowing to their advice I ordered a replacement pulley mechanism from them last month as they donít seem to have any spare parts available with them at all. I was told I would be informed in a week when the part arrived.
A month later and after several frustrating attempts to get the service engineer on the phone, I was told today that the part has not been procured by them as of date and they had no idea when it would be available.
They are probably waiting for my entire airconditioner to break down so that they can make more money!!

Which ingenious mechanism they have used earlier too when I complained of squeaking from my brakes and was told that everything was fine. Only to be told that my entire brake mechanism had to be replaced just 1000km down the line!! It cost me 9000 of the best...

Once after a service at 15000km, I had not travelled 20 km before I noticed that the car was behaving erratically and found one of the tyres was not matching with the other four!! They had simply swapped my good tyre with another carís tyre!!

Before that in another service at around 10000km, I had noticed uneven wearing of the tyres and excessive road noise from the tyres on the move. Again the engineers told me that was normal wear. My tyres had to be replaced at 25000 km. On replacing with Bridgestone tyres all problems were settled.

Such unscrupuous and incompetent people has Honda Siel appointed as sales and service managers for their excellent cars!!
Complaints made directly to Honda have only elicited token response. No actual remedial measures are ever taken by Honda Siel and the customer is always left to the mercies of the dealer/service team.
No wonder they are losing customers faster than they can make new ones!!

Even though the car has been excellent, the whole ownership experience has been vitiated by the terrible service provided by Peninsular Honda, Trivandrum..so much so that in spite of loving my Honda City ZX so much, I would never buy another Honda Car or recommend any of my friends or colleagues to buy one either.
penlax is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 4th August 2011, 13:32   #2
BHPian

Default re: Peninsular Honda, Trivandrum - My sad story

Quote:
Originally Posted by penlax View Post
Even though the car has been excellent, the whole ownership experience has been vitiated by the terrible service provided by Peninsular Honda, Trivandrum..so much so that in spite of loving my Honda City ZX so much, I would never buy another Honda Car or recommend any of my friends or colleagues to buy one either.
@penlax,

Sorry to hear the happenings.These kind of things will generally happen when a particular dealer has monopoly over such an important area as Trivandrum. This also illustrates the necessity for Honda to widen their network and appoint more responsible dealers.

Sorry to learn that you will not buy or recommend another Honda car. I,being someone who recently purchased an ANHC and overjoyed with the purchase,am extremely saddened by your decision.

However let it go as an example for Honda and let them learn to treat the customers with dignity and make sure that the faulty dealers will not go unpunished,if they want to keep their faithful customers.
charthom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th August 2011, 13:59   #3
Senior - BHPian

see, all things above can be attributed to ignorance, and sheer laziness.
but the tyre bit?
and you havent written anything as to what you did post the incident.
I hope you made a royal ruckus and and FIR against them, i mean, c'mon.

I know when you leave a car at a workshop, youre supposed to take everything from the car that can be nicked easily.
but for gods sake, tyres???????????
whats next, only bring the defective section of the car, cos hey, if it dont work, we cant steal it?
Sir, if AC condenser is bad, please bring only the condenser.
Geez!!!
mayankk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 4th August 2011, 21:48   #4
BHPian

Update: I made a strong complaint to Honda Siel India on the 31st of July mentioning all these happenings and till the 2nd of August there was absolutely no reaction from then at all!!

On the 2nd of August night, fed up with the situation, I wrote them another email and SPECIFICALLY mentioned that I had posted my experiences on teambhp.com where potential buyers would read my experiences!!
On the 3rd morning, I got a call from the service engineer who oversaw my last service and another two calls from the service engineer today (the 4th)!!!

Thanks teambhp!!!

I hope that my complaint will now be taken to its logical conclusion...
No hopes of Honda adding another dealership to Trivandrum in the near future however!! :(
penlax is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 5th August 2011, 19:08   #5
BHPian

Update:
After mentioning teambhp.com on the 2nd, things moved very swiftly..Everything was fixed by today (5th)..

I was right, it WAS the A/C clutch bearing which had broken and not the compressor bearing...

Thanks to teambhp!!

PS: I will be following up with Honda about the service standards of Peninsular Honda, Trivandrum..
penlax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th August 2011, 19:16   #6
BHPian

penlax,
This is not a single instance of Peninsular Honda providing ABSURD treatment to its customers. My friend with his OHC VX had complained of a loose RORVM. The GREAT peninsular Honda service team "fixed it" by screwing the mirror body to the mirror pillar. I could rate their service as the WORST in Trivandrum....always Overcharging for a workmanship which will never be better than a roadside mechanic
shineshine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th August 2011, 19:34   #7
Senior - BHPian

Unhappy re: Peninsular Honda, Trivandrum - My sad story

Quote:
Originally Posted by penlax View Post
Exactly, the whole issue was with the dealer and not with the car. You should have taken a firm stand from the day one the problems surfaced and also written to the managment about the unscrouplous behaviour of the dealer. It was good to know that your complaints have now been taken seriously. So are they replacing all the parts which you think have been swapped with other car parts.

Also request you not to misguide people into not buying Honda car, you can make them alert of the dealer relationship though.
ghodlur is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 5th August 2011, 21:13   #8
Distinguished - BHPian

No misguiding here.

Relationships with dealers will rub off on the brand itself, however good the cars --- and it is right that it should. Manufacturers will only correct their dealers if they are faced with a problem to their reputation, which threatens their sales.
Thad E Ginathom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th August 2011, 22:52   #9
BHPian

@ghodlur: Why would I be misguiding buyers? I have clearly stated that the car is excellent and that I love my Honda City ZX..so much so that I refused to part with the car when offered a lakh rupees above market rates for my car!!
I just wanted to let potential customers know what they are getting into when they need to get their car serviced from Peninsular Honda, Trivandrum.

But customers have a right to proper service for their vehicles, especially, as in this case, where he has no choice but the single local dealer. Where there is a monopoly dealership the company has to ensure that its customers are not ripped off..

I did complain first to the top people at Peninsular Honda and then directly to Honda themselves.

In these cases there is no proof that my tyre was not damaged by me or that I had not lost the wiper covers myself - so Honda sides with the dealer and not me, knowing that I have very little choice than to take it or leave it.

Being a busy medical practitioner, it is hardly feasible for me to drive to Kochi where I have a better choice of service and dealers for every small service needed!!

@Thad: Absolutely, the prime example is that of Fiat which manufactured some excellent and value-for-money cars but did not focus on A.S.S.
Ultimately they have earned notoriety for themselves so much so that any potential buyer thinks a lot before investing in a Fiat car..
I really hope that Honda too does not go the Fiat way.
penlax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th August 2011, 23:17   #10
Senior - BHPian

a car is not just a car.
The "honda" brand doesnt end with car.
it has to be carried by everything that carries the H post the buy, aint it?

why when MSIL can build whole ad-campaigns around their network to sell the car, can Honda not be held responsible for its dealer/service network?
mayankk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 28th January 2014, 18:31   #11
BHPian

Default Bad experience at Peninsular Honda, Tvm

Mods: Please feel free to merge if other threads if necessary.

I had booked a Brio SMT Exclusive edition. On road price offered to me was Rs.5.5 Lakhs. No discounts.

I was told that i will get the spoiler, the rear parking sensor, door sil guards, door visors and exhaust tip along with this edition.

Booking amount paid. Car in transit. Car reached. Balance amount paid. Went to yard to have a look. Looks good. Happy with everything.

Went back to the showroom to sit with the sales exec to go over other optional accessories. He gives me a list of those with prices mentioned. He ticks all those which are free since i am buying the exclusive edition. I select fog lamps and door/bumper guards as additional.

Say bye with all smiles and leave after saying next Wednesday i'll take pickup.

Walking out waiting to cross the road i get a call from him. I imagine i might have forgotten to pick up something. Get back inside, he then asks me sit down and gets the manager to come out of his office as well.

Then comes the shocker. He says all those said accessories which were supposed to be free with the exclusive edition are all optional and that i have to pay! They said that in their price list they have shown only the car price with black interiors for which i am paying the odd premium over the regular SMT edition. You can imagine my reaction

I told them if that is the case why hasnt anyone told me about that? Its not mentioned in their price list either. I mean c'mon, you think you get xyz items free and then they call you back and say that's all paid?!

Those options cost another 30 odd grand. I told them no thanks. I have paid for the car without any discounts so you might as well offer these to me as free which you had committed in the first place.

Have to go back tomorrow and see...

Oh thanks for coming with me JKDas
deathwalkr is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 28th January 2014, 19:45   #12
BHPian

Default Re: Bad experience at Peninsular Honda, Tvm

Quote:
I was told that i will get the spoiler, the rear parking sensor, door sil guards, door visors and exhaust tip along with this edition.
Buddy, while making the booking, were you not given in black and white that the accessories will be given free of cost. Were they verbal commitments?

My experience says that when we book a car, the dealer writes all the committed things on the booking form and then one copy is given to you and other remains with him for records. This ensures that no dispute arises at a later stage and all remain on the same platform.

I would advise you to ask them for a complete refund of the amount and tell them clearly that you are not buying the car. This threat of yours may change their mind.

Worst, write to Honda directly and see what is the outcome.

Do keep us updated on the progress. I appreciate and share your concern.
mints21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th January 2014, 21:41   #13
Distinguished - BHPian

They should be so damn lucky that they got a buyer for Brio! Had we known this prior to handing over the cheque, I would have pulled you out of the showroom :P

Well, get i10 Grand if they dont give the deal which they had offered.
jkdas is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 28th January 2014, 22:23   #14
BHPian

@Mints21: It was all verbal unfortunately. Funny part was even while talking about accessories they ticked off all those i was supposed to get and said you are anyway getting all these so select other accessories if required.

In their price list the regular SMT was at 5.4lakhs on road and the exclusive was at 5.5lakhs. So basically for the 10k premium i got all black interiors :P They accepted the mistake in not being clear about this. All i said at the end was i have paid you the money in full sans any discounts so you either give me a hefty discount or you offer all these committed accessories as a token gift.

Realistically i understand that at such a marginal difference i may not be due all these said things nor did they influence my purchase decision. I wanted to get all power windows and it started with the SMT edition only. It was just sad when you are promised something and suddenly its no longer there for no mistake on your side. Leaves a bad taste in the mouth.

I dont mind picking up the car as it is. I am a very reasonable man but in this case not without milking them for what its worth.

@JK: Yes dude. Crazy buggers abound everywhere And it will be the brio only my friend. Like i said why look a gift horse in its mouth. Dont want to go to all the trouble again.

Edit: Besides i have given them time till tomorrow to update me on what they can do. Lets leave it till then. Chuck all the eye candy accessories they promised and maybe get the practical ones

Last edited by deathwalkr : 28th January 2014 at 22:25.
deathwalkr is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 29th January 2014, 06:39   #15
BHPian

Write to Honda - they are extraordinarily responsive.
Equus is offline   Reply With Quote