Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Indian Car Dealerships

Old 6th January 2012, 22:52   #61
Senior - BHPian

Default re: mahindra first choice-dealer jk moto tries to scam,caught. Mahindra intervenes

Mayank, stories like this keep me from going to dealers, even for selling my vehicles!

However, I feel that this thread title may be updated, since Mahindra has taken prompt action on their part.
architect is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 7th January 2012, 09:47   #62
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by architect
Mayank, stories like this keep me from going to dealers, even for selling my vehicles!

However, I feel that this thread title may be updated, since Mahindra has taken prompt action on their part.
Requested mods already.
Let's wait.
mayankk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 7th January 2012, 10:53   #63
Distinguished - BHPian

Default Re: mahindra first choice-dealer jk moto tries to scam,caught. Mahindra intervenes

Just went through the entire thread. Kudos mayankk!

One of the main reasons why I went for a new car, when used cars from a segment up are available at the same price. The car may be wonderful (and clean), but how can you trust the persons selling it to you (with those flashy fake smiles, I might add)?

Unless one has good, solid contacts in the used car business, it would be really dangerous to venture into this territory.

Hats off to Anand Mahindra as well. He is running such a huge business (and must be busy with stuff at the Auto Expo right now), yet he took immediate action in response to the tweets he got. Says a lot about the man, I must say! Salute to you, sir!
RavenAvi is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 7th January 2012, 12:06   #64
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: mahindra first choice-dealer jk moto tries to scam,caught. Mahindra intervenes

I am going through this thread and would like to share my thoughts:
1. The dealer really tried to show his cockiness at wrong place and with wrong person. If at all he has to show that he has to show it to the seller and not to the prospective buyer.
2. I don't think Mr. Anand Mahindra really had any choice. If you are allowing yourself to be available on Twitter and anybody posting any complaint via that, you are bound to take action. I think any person of that level will be smart enough to acknowledge that the complainant has twitted him as the second last option before consumer court. And while the whole world is watching his actions, he is bound to deliver something positive especially what is at stake is Rs. 20000/ vs Mahindra's reputation.
3. The dealer should be given some award for his foolishness as if at all the case goes to consumer court, it will definitely be considered as cheating by misrepresentation of facts and will be taught a lesson as early as possible.
4. Now as regarding why they do it in first place, I think that s the norm with all the used car dealers except Maruti True Value (even for them I'm not sure). But MFC is going one step ahead and not only pricing their cars higher but also reversing the Odo. To say they have 118 point check and not knowing the correct Odo is sheer lie which I am not ready to believe even 0.1%. I see this as nothing but Indian way of doing business that is practiced by all the businesses be it Banks, Moble Cos, Auto Cos, Local Kirana shops that "Either I'll screw you or you'll screw me, why should we live happily together and in case of dispute let the govt. screw both of us."
5. I really can't understand all this praise for any businessman who is in the Indian market just to do business despite delivering unsafe products (scorpio, xylo), untested products (XUV500), absolutely no customer friendly service back-up and still praised like anything just because of SINGLE FACTOR that is right(if this is a proper word) PRICE. And we blame Maruti for "Kitna Deti Hai?" Ad. Going by that they should also be praised to for bringing out that Ad. Can anyone assure me that what happened with Mayankk would not be repeated afterwards at all MFCs outlets all over India and even at JK, I don't think so. And blaming dealers and junior staffs is sheer mistake as how is it possible that majority of the MFC dealers in India are reported as not genuine and Carnation and Maruti True Value are generally considered as good. Infact when one says Carnation the first thing comes to mind is that it has been started by Mr. Jagadish Khattar, so blaming junior staff and praising CEO is really most blatant example of our mentality. I think Ambanis, Mallyas, Rajus, even Gandhis etc. get their guts from this mindset only.

6. The junior and middle staff is always at the receiving end. In mayankk's case, if he refunds the money, he gets fired for going against company's policy, if he doesn't he is fired for harassing customers if complained against by the customer and numerous curses he gets daily by customers while saying No for any freebies and discounts is his extra income. Best solution is to appoint female staff from companies point of view.

Last edited by carwatcher : 7th January 2012 at 12:09.
carwatcher is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 7th January 2012, 13:12   #65
Senior - BHPian

Congrats Mayankk! Glad this matter was solved (is being solved) in right direction, but it would be best if it would have done so without Mr.Mahindra's involvement. Shows that the MFC wants to suck money out of customer by showing petty rules which apply only to the customer.
ani_meher is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 7th January 2012, 13:38   #66
BHPian

Phew, that is quick(By Indian standards). Kudos To AM for his personal interest in resolving the matter. While this speaks volumes about his personal high standards of ethics, customer care & concern for brand value, at the same time, reflects poorly on his team. Good to see him intervene personally to get a person his legit dues. Hope he puts systems in place to nip the problems in bud. That's how brand goodwill is created & maintained. If everything is sorted out only after escalation to Mr. AM, it's sorry state of affairs at Mahindra. Though these matters can't be sorted out in a day, but it helps to put transparent, responsive & above all, accountable systems & team in place to challenge the biggies in Automotive world. One has to only see the examples of Maruti as to what can be achieved on sales front through efficient after sales service network. Reasonably good, fairly reliable smartly priced products coupled with "UNBEATABLE' A.S.Service network is the reason they are dominating car industry in India for more than 2 decades.
Hope an Indian company Like Mahindra does the same. They have more than capable leader, but can he put together a team that shares his vision & help him achieve his goal?
I sincerely wish so.
nawalsingal is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 9th January 2012, 11:21   #67
Senior - BHPian

@carwatcher, single most important reason to consider a Mahindra vehicle as a serious candidate for purchase. To look at things differently can i post a direct complaint to Mr Jagdish Kattar and be assured of a response within a few hours (and not days), can i do the same with Tata, Toyota, Maruti, or for that matter anyone else. Now its not as if there are no problems in other cars (pick any manufacturer of your choice) but the avenue and channel to get to the highest boss possible is non existent.

Kudos to AM for being more proactive then the rest. I know its very difficult to engineer a 100% perfect product, at least AM is making a serious attempt to deliver what has been promised.
mayankjha1806 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 9th January 2012, 13:10   #68
Team-BHP Support

Remember this thread posted my me: POLL: Can branded used car dealerships be trusted? I feel dealerships like Mahindra First choice and Maruti true value have the much trusted names of Auto majors but most of the business here is run by franchise owners without much interference from these Auto companies. Even at these branded outlets most cars are clocked with suspect maintenance history, they are not worth the extra premium they ask for. Do not trust them blindly, get everything they promise in writing.
.anshuman is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 9th January 2012, 14:34   #69
BHPian

@Mayank First of all congratulations that your issue has reached the perfect resolution although not through an ideal path. I saw AM's tweet but was not aware about this thread. Thanks for posting.

I have always been skeptical about the used car market. In Bangalore used car showrooms have sprung up in every other main-road (next only to the dental clinics these days) and all of them have quite a good collection of vehicles and even sport private bank tie-ups. Unless a customer is aware and inquisitive I am sure smooth talk and some cooked up papers are the norm of the day.

I follow Mr AM on twitter and retweet all such customer complaint tweets that he directs his executives. I have also got good response from the Scorpio twitter account. But as many of them have pointed out why should such complaints first of all occur from a reputed dealer and second if they occur why does some one so up (really the top guy!) has to direct the low rung staff to do the common-sense/right thing to do? And till when can we expect AM to clean up the mess(I would love to have AM on for ever but ..). What would be the plight of the person who is not aware of such malpractice? By the way MFCs tag line is "Honest Deals Great Wheels" and their banner on their website flickers with all those messages which are joke after reading this thread.
rohi_rao is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 9th January 2012, 15:22   #70
Team-BHP Support

Mayankk- glad your story ended happily, hope you get the refund soon. It seems so silly to celebrate something that is rightfully yours to start with, since the sale was not in good faith and you paid for a product that was different from what was claimed. But the, this is India and anything goes! Thankfully at least the Chairman of the company acted wisely and well, and you are right to run a mile from these guys in future.

My own experiences with MFC have been quite positive (How is Mahindra Firstchoice? (formerly automart)) but to tell a prospective customer they have no way of verifying mileage is quite silly. I assume MFC sells only cars that they themselves buy, and they do a thorough check of the vehicle when they buy it- that much is sure! Also, setting the odometer back is typically a stunt pulled by a used-car dealer and not a car owner himself, so it's highly probable the car was bought with 57K+ clocked and these guys tampered with it to make it more saleable, which is disgusting.

Am sure your Dad is disappointed, though- why not search through online options like carwale and the T-BHP classifieds instead?
noopster is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 9th January 2012, 16:17   #71
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by noopster View Post
Mayankk- glad your story ended happily, hope you get the refund soon. It seems so silly to celebrate something that is rightfully yours to start with, since the sale was not in good faith and you paid for a product that was different from what was claimed. But the, this is India and anything goes! Thankfully at least the Chairman of the company acted wisely and well, and you are right to run a mile from these guys in future.

My own experiences with MFC have been quite positive (How is Mahindra Firstchoice? (formerly automart)) but to tell a prospective customer they have no way of verifying mileage is quite silly. I assume MFC sells only cars that they themselves buy, and they do a thorough check of the vehicle when they buy it- that much is sure! Also, setting the odometer back is typically a stunt pulled by a used-car dealer and not a car owner himself, so it's highly probable the car was bought with 57K+ clocked and these guys tampered with it to make it more saleable, which is disgusting.

Am sure your Dad is disappointed, though- why not search through online options like carwale and the T-BHP classifieds instead?

He is already looking to go for a first hand 3-box, so thats put to rest.

So that may pop up as another thread/query.
His take is that with a new car, he knows who to scream at, unlike what happened here.
mayankk is online now   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 9th January 2012, 16:54   #72
BHPian

Mayankk. Good to see that the matter has been settled in right manner.
Wanted to put 2 thoughts
1. If there was to be a legal battle over this, not sure which way it could have gone. While there s argument about mis-selling, i guess the odo still ready 37k and unless there s proper paper to establish that the owner sold & JK accepted it at 57k, there s nothing to provide whether JK or the owner did the back-clock. ( If the previous owner is reading, extremely sorry , this is just theoretical argument and not an opinion/judgement). Considering these JK guys, they might not bat an eyelid on making that allegation. With their fine-print of not checking the ODO on buying, they might be able to get away with this.
2. The above case brings to our attention that if we are seller to these dealerships, i think its in our best interest to insist on registering ODO on the sale to ensure that we arent caught in future legal infractions.

To clarify, should ownership transfer not be registered with RTO and would the ODO need to be mentioned there.
vigneshA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th January 2012, 18:52   #73
BHPian

Hats off to Anand Mahindra. Kudos to him
Chalu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th January 2012, 14:21   #74
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayankk View Post
He is already looking to go for a first hand 3-box, so thats put to rest.

So that may pop up as another thread/query.
His take is that with a new car, he knows who to scream at, unlike what happened here.
I agree with your dad. Personally I would be a lot more comfortable buying and owning a new swift than a used accord. There is a reason why "used car salesman" is considered an expletive. Dont want to insult any profession, or maybe I do!

Kudos to Anand Mahindra.
jalva is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 11th January 2012, 12:46   #75
BHPian

Thanks Mayankk for bringing this forward. First Choice is known to indulge in meter tampering. I bought a Toyota Corolla from Mahindra First Choice Gurgaon (near Central Mall MG Road) somewhere in 2008. The meter showed 44000. When I went for the 50K service, Galaxy Toyota informed that the 70K service has already been done six months back. Height of cheapness. I didnt do much then as the car was otherwise running properly.

By the way, just check these two ads on carwale vs first choice. Its the same safari. Carwale shows it has run 1.09K while fc shows 85K!! What do I say!!

Used 2007 Tata Safari 4x2 LX (D309236) for sale in New Delhi - CarWale
Buy Certified Used Cars/Second Hand Cars | Mahindra First Choice
rudder is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote