Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Indian Car Dealerships

Old 17th February 2012, 09:48   #16
BHPian

Default Re: Ford India adds 45 Sales & Service outlets in one day!

Quote:
Originally Posted by smartcat View Post
This means Ford now has the 4th largest sales/service network in India - after Maruti, Tata & Hyundai.
Wow, that's so unexpected. I always thought Ford to have really tiny presence in India. Hard to believe that Ford has a larger network than Mahindra!

Btw, does anyone know how many sales/service network Mahindra has? I always thought Mahindra to have really large network, comparable to Tata.
DevilsCry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th February 2012, 10:02   #17
Distinguished - BHPian

And Bihar still has one dealer to support its sales & service network? Needless to say how monopolistic they are in their deals (sales & service) with take or leave attitude screaming.

With increasing number of Ford's spotted in this part, its high time to provide a service outlet at the bare minimum on scattered locations. I hope Ford is listening.
Sheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th February 2012, 10:32   #18
BHPian

Ha . Its a joke .See the delearships /Service centers in Kochi.
Its all owned by Kairali. No new vendors. So Keralites should not expect anything drastic with this.
A customer is benefited only if there is some real comepetition rather than the same dealar opening multiple shops.
bullboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th February 2012, 11:45   #19
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bullboy View Post
Ha . Its a joke .See the delearships /Service centers in Kochi.
Its all owned by Kairali. No new vendors. So Keralites should not expect anything drastic with this.
A customer is benefited only if there is some real comepetition rather than the same dealar opening multiple shops.
There is a new one opened, Malayalam Ford opposite The Wyte Fort Hotel, Maradu. Is it also owned by Kairali? I think not.

But I agree with condor. Ford needs to stress on the reach and not the number. I see there are close to 5 dealers in Kochi, but many Tier 2 and Tier 3 cities in KL are left out.
deetjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th February 2012, 12:03   #20
BHPian

Note from Mod: There are several spelling & grammatical errors in your posts. This negatively affects the board experience for other readers.

Kindly ensure that you proof-read your posts prior to submission. Also, it would be a good idea to use spell-checkers.

Last edited by GTO : 17th February 2012 at 14:13.
arin_12 is offline   Reply With Quote Received Infraction
Old 17th February 2012, 13:14   #21
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bullboy View Post
Even the new one that's opened here in Chennai is part of an already existing dealer, MPL. Don't know why both Skoda and Ford allow the same management to open multiple dealerships, instead of encouraging new ones and in turn increase competition.
Daewood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th February 2012, 14:11   #22
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by smartcat View Post
This means Ford now has the 4th largest sales/service network in India - after Maruti, Tata & Hyundai. Chevrolet too has around 200 outlets.
Mahindra definitely is No.4 (if not No.3). Their first choice (used car) outlets alone have a count of 150.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayankjha1806 View Post
This is good news, but i guess all in one day to catch some headline news, and this too soon after the 75K refund fiasco.
This ET news article (ET says Ford puts Gujarat on hold. EDIT : Ford says GJ Plant is going as per schedule) was far more of a disaster.
GTO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th February 2012, 14:13   #23
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daewood View Post
Even the new one that's opened here in Chennai is part of an already existing dealer, MPL. Don't know why both Skoda and Ford allow the same management to open multiple dealerships, instead of encouraging new ones and in turn increase competition.
Isn't Kairali in Kerala also a part of the MPL group? I think its common to have same dealers operating for multiple brands.
vb-san is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th February 2012, 14:47   #24
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vb-san View Post
I think its common to have same dealers operating for multiple brands.
It's ok if the same company has multiple dealerships for different brands, but having multiple dealerships for the same brand results in monopoly and lethargic service.
Daewood is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 17th February 2012, 14:54   #25
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deep Blue View Post
Sigh! How I wish my town was in the list. I still have to trudge 60kms to Mangalore for service or any issues. They do hold service camps in Udupi, now twice a month. But I am not too confident to give the car for service at these "camps".
Even I am disappointed. How can they just keep ignoring Udupi, it is a really big district. I prefer not to buy from any company that doesn't have a dealership in my local town. That leaves me with just Maruti, Hyundai, Mahindra and Tata.
Samurai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th February 2012, 15:06   #26
Senior - BHPian

The new MPL 3S facility at Chennai has been functional for more than 2 weeks now. Seen it. Real big. This should ease the pressure on the overloaded OMR Service Centre.
kiku007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th February 2012, 15:46   #27
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daewood View Post
It's ok if the same company has multiple dealerships for different brands, but having multiple dealerships for the same brand results in monopoly and lethargic service.
Agreed, I have experienced that when I contacted some of the dealers. The comfort of monopoly was quite evident in the way they responded.

But I guess in some rare cases this works in a positive way as well. Last year, we had an issue with our old Ikon, and the service center folks quickly managed to source the parts from the next City (dealership under the same umbrella).
vb-san is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th February 2012, 18:06   #28
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai
Even I am disappointed. How can they just keep ignoring Udupi, it is a really big district. .
Cauvery Ford is bought land in Udupi some 2 yrs back. I don't know what is preventing them from opening a service centre here. When I bought my Figo in May 2010, their promise was to open a service centre in a months time. My mails to Cauvery Ford and Ford have given the standard " we are now holding 2 service camps in a month" reponse. One SA told me most of the new Fiesta sales from Mangalore Cauvery Ford have been in Udupi dist. I sincerely hope we get lucky next time around.
Deep Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th February 2012, 22:29   #29
BHPian

My second post on the same topic.

This is a Joke. Somebody is on morphine and planning this.

How can this Manufacturer afford to deprive the market of 44 service outlet and wait till the time a 45th one is required and then open it all at once. Not done. Not done.

Network growth is organic. Always. You open a touch point where there is a need, take it through the learning curve and then proceed to the next. Set best practice examples and put forth a polished team of people for your customer.

Why on earth did Ford wait and lose advantage of opening 44 touch points incrementally.

You left us to the mercy of Harpreet Ford and it's dimwitted Service Advisors.

Seriously, whose idea was it?
BeamerBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th February 2012, 17:28   #30
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeamerBoy View Post
How can this Manufacturer afford to deprive the market of 44 service outlet and wait till the time a 45th one is required and then open it all at once. Not done. Not done.

Network growth is organic. Always. You open a touch point where there is a need, take it through the learning curve and then proceed to the next. Set best practice examples and put forth a polished team of people for your customer.

Why on earth did Ford wait and lose advantage of opening 44 touch points incrementally.
I can't imagine that Ford India is stupid enough to lose business/ sales just for the sake of a big bang headline or a marketing gimmick. I guess there are a few things in the car business that we don't understand.

- Perhaps Ford finds its cheaper or easier to train all the service advisors / sales executives at one go at their facilities rather than train one bunch from each new dealer every month.

- Perhaps Ford would like to protect the margins of existing dealers (Happy dealers = good for sales in the long term) and not go ahead with dealer expansion unless there is a significant new model launch coming up.

- Perhaps Ford would like to keep an eye on the existing bunch of dealers for a few years so that they achieve their desired quality levels, before taking on a new set of dealers.

Last edited by smartcat : 18th February 2012 at 17:29.
smartcat is offline   Reply With Quote