Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Indian Car Dealerships

Old 16th February 2012, 22:39   #1
BHPian

Default JMD and Autobahn Skoda Service - such a rip-off!!

The airconditioning of my 4 year-old Skoda Laura was not cooling as well as it used to when it was new. I took it to the Skoda workshop at JMD Bhandup. They inspected and pronounced that the compressor had gone weak and would cost 85000/- to replace! I took the car to a reputed garage in Bandra who specialized in fixing airconditioning issues. They overhauled the entire aircon system and fixed everything in three hours flat. Cost? Rs 9000/-. The aircon is working like a dream, like new. This is not the first time that I have experienced a rip-off at Skoda workshops. They are all the same - Autobahn, JMD etc... crooks to the core.
Varaman is offline   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 17th February 2012, 05:43   #2
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: JMD and Autobahn Skoda Service - such a rip-off!!

Wow, 85K - 9K is quiet a drop, and good you got it done with ~10% of the cost estimated by Skoda. Skodas have always been expensive to maintain, especially the Laura, some of it is because of being European, and most of it is because of Dealers stupidity.

So what was the problem, just overhauling fixed it, or was there some part malfunctioning? Did the guys checked the compressor specifically and declared it fit?
mayankjha1806 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th February 2012, 07:02   #3
Senior - BHPian

@Varaman: Your statement by itself has the answers. You'd mentioned the workshop in Bandra overhauled the compressor. Now that's repair which the dealers wont do. They would only replace faulty parts. Because they're to disclose the stock and tax details, the end customer has to pay a high price. The dealers cannot do any repair/overhauls other than replacement because of the policies set by the respective parent companies.

This is unfortunately the case with every other car dealer & manufacturer.
nitinbose is offline   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 17th February 2012, 09:40   #4
BHPian

I agree with Nitinbose, Skoda dealers never repair anything whenever you go to a Skoda dealership they always suggest you to change the part. I faced the same issue with my Laura's suspension, they made a quotation of 65k and I got a quotation for the same work from European Motor Works for 34k (yes some parts need to be replaced).
ricky_1605 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th February 2012, 10:27   #5
Team-BHP Support

Incredible! 85K to fix an AC? By the way, is this a climatronic unit or a manual one?

When my Swift AC broke down (car was 3 years old then) I complained as hell when MAS charged me around 7K for a full overhaul and repair job. Now I'm smiling!
noopster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th February 2012, 10:30   #6
Senior - BHPian

It would be good to have details of the overhaul done by the Bandra workshop.
Did they replace the compressor (with some OEM equivalent or refurbished one) or actually repair it? Or was it not related to compressor at all?
anandpadhye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th February 2012, 10:40   #7
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by noopster View Post
Incredible! 85K to fix an AC? By the way, is this a climatronic unit or a manual one?

When my Swift AC broke down (car was 3 years old then) I complained as hell when MAS charged me around 7K for a full overhaul and repair job. Now I'm smiling!
Don't smile yet, you too own a VAG car now

But I agree with the above posters, with an official service centre they just replace and do not repair. So if the car is outside warranty its always a good idea to take it to a reputable independent garage and have them take a look.
Akshay1234 is online now   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 17th February 2012, 10:43   #8
Distinguished - BHPian

Here's something I found out during my Corsa's recent clutch overhaul.

There's some small part (costing ~Rs. 300) in the gear linkage assembly that had developed too much play and needed to be replaced. The SA ordered it twice as the A.S.S. didn't have it stock but each time the General Motors central spares dispatching unit in Pune refused to send it saying just that part can't be shipped; the entire assembly would need to be ordered.

So, probably, that's why the A.S.S. quoted such a big amount.

And of course, they work on the replace-not-repair principle so things just get easier for them to change the entire unit and not bother diagnosing the problem.
libranof1987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th February 2012, 11:25   #9
Team-BHP Support

1. Skoda & VW parts are expensive compared to the Japs & Koreans.

2. Such practises are common with all car companies. Search the forum and you will find lots of threads discussing the same. I had a Elantra CRDI and the AC failed, a particular part was identified but still the ASC wanted to change the whole compressor, only because i knew someone at another Hyundai ASC i got the other ASC to change only the specific part, not the whole compressor. Here is the quote from my ownership thread:
Quote:
Last week the AC stopped working. My car was with Dad, he got the Car AC checked at a Local AC mechanic in Dabwali (This place does not have a Hyundai Service station), the fault was traced to AC compressor clutch.

The car was later taken to Hyundai workshop in Hisar. The mechanic even without a proper check-up declared the Compressor to be dead, the Estimate for repair was quoted Rs.35000+ Labor+ Taxes.

I got the car back to Gurgaon to my Trusted Hyundai workshop, the check-up revealed only clutch and coil were damaged, after replacement the AC is working great again.

Cost- 12K for Clutch + Coil + Gas+ Oil + Labour + Tax

Lesson Learnt: Always take an alternate advice before saying yes for an expensive job. In my case i managed to save over 30k.
Link to the thread:
https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/long-...ml#post1911300

Last edited by .anshuman : 17th February 2012 at 11:27.
.anshuman is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 17th February 2012, 12:13   #10
Distinguished - BHPian

Thank God I have a Civic. Replacing the condenser cost me under 12k at the dealership!
sgiitk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th February 2012, 14:17   #11
BHPian

Hi guys! Guess you're right - Skoda does not repair, they only replace. The private workshop opened and overhauled the compressor, cleaned and flushed the lines, topped up the aircon gas and fitted everything back... inside three hours and for only 9000/-. Skoda charged me Rs 2000 just to inspect the vehicle and tell me that the compressor was weak and needed replacement. I guess my gaadi is going to Israr-bhai's garage from now onwards for minor and major repairs. In any case almost every Skoda part is available in Opera House... at 40% of the price charged by the company dealers.
Varaman is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 17th February 2012, 20:07   #12
BHPian

Good to know that it works perfectly now. Can you please share wich workshop in bandra you visited? Was it Kamal air?
Y@SH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th February 2012, 22:38   #13
BHPian

Israr-bhai's garage. Near ICICI Bank on Waterfield road. He is GOOD

Last edited by Varaman : 17th February 2012 at 22:39. Reason: Typographic error...
Varaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th February 2012, 10:49   #14
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Varaman View Post
I guess my gaadi is going to Israr-bhai's garage from now onwards for minor and major repairs. In any case almost every Skoda part is available in Opera House... at 40% of the price charged by the company dealers.
Good to know.
Can you also share the opera house contacts for skoda parts?
For guys like me who are in Pune, it will be better to call up before making a trip for parts.

For wiper of my Laura, Europa charged me 2100 + 100 (labuor), I feel like at myself. These are by far the easiest wipers to replace but the skoda dealer won't let you do it on your own. Also, the wiper price looks plain rip-off.
anandpadhye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th February 2012, 15:16   #15
BHPian

Guys speaking of AC I have just bought a used Octi auto. The only problem it seems to have is that the air recirculating switch does not have the desired effect. I mean the switch lights and all, but does not switch to recirc mode. On inspection at a local garage we came to know that the motor itself is not there. The local AC guy recommends to put it permanently in recirc mode by locking the flap. Should I agree or scour for the flap motor?
an_and is offline   Reply With Quote