Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Indian Car Dealerships

Old 18th February 2012, 13:02   #1
BHPian

Default Horrible Audi R8 test-drive experience. *UPDATE* Audi makes up for it!

Audi R8, most unfortunate experience ever.

I was invited for R-8 drive and was confirmed at 8.30am to take the vehicle on expressway, experience it and click pictures to write about it.

I reached sharp on time at Audi dealership only to find locked door and marketing head called me to inform that he is delayed and he would instruct guard to allow me in and wait while he joins me shortly.

Finally, the marketing head arrived at 9.10am after over 40 minutes of wait. He made me wait for another 30 minutes before informing that vehicle is delayed since Audi India is doing a photoshoot on Expressway.

He advised me to drive to beginning of expressway where another gentleman will meet me. Reluctantly I started for expressway. 30 minutes later when I was about to reach expressway, I got a call from the second gentleman that Audi India officials are trying to rush back so we can't take a Expressway drive instead you can drive back to Audi dealership. I was shocked to hear this but kept my cool and offered my car with driver to ferry Audi India officials back since it does not make sense for me to drive R8 in thick traffic, this defeated the entire effort and purpose.

I got a call back that Audi India officials are refusing for this and I may leave back. I was really pissed off and shocked to hear such statement that also from officials of a brand like Audi. Whatever happened to the customer centricity!

Anyways, I am also a senior executive and my time is also at premium. I hate to have gotten up at 6am and wasted my 5 hours and not to mention fuel. I know this won't make a difference to such an unprofessional brand but you just lost a customer.

I resolve to never buy an Audi and also influence every possible way through my blogs and networks to friends, colleagues and family to never consider an Audi due to poor customer centricity and high headed attitude.

Thanks for wasting my time. I will ensure that I don't leave this incident here.
rishi_kapoor is offline   (11) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 18th February 2012, 13:23   #2
BHPian

Default Re: My Audi R8 experience :(

My son works for Audi in Mumbai, Have passed this on to him to forward to Audi India. This is the worst kind of publicity they need, especially in today's competitive market!!
adilkhan5 is online now   (7) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 18th February 2012, 13:30   #3
Senior - BHPian

Very unfortunate happening and also what make's it worst is that they invited you for the drive and then did this. Like an old saying, "inviting for lunch and then saying there is no lunch
Something's wrong with VW group companies, all of their brands suffer from poor customer service, well that's not stopping people from buying them it seems.
DicKy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th February 2012, 13:47   #4
Senior - BHPian

Rishi Kapoor i think your approach is wrong or maybe i have got it wrong. I dont think its right to black ball Audi India due to a Dealership representatives fault. As you say your a Senior Executive yourself, so a flaw by a dept does not mean the entire company is at fault. I do agree your time and fuel was wasted in the excercise, but that again was a choice you made. I personally dont wait beyond 10 mins at a dealership if i have taken an appointment and just ask the person to send the car either to the office or at home at a time that suits me. The dealership representative that you dealt with should be taken to task. I also do believe the Audi India officials are not sales representatives and do not do sales calls and cannot hand over the car to just anyone unacommpanied by their sales staff, you need to be a real big shot (G.H.S. caliber) for that too happen. So i guess its just right what they did in asking you to ge to the dealership and accompanied by the sales person to take a TD. The Bombay dealers have been friendly..before time and helpful, so no complains with them atall. This is just my two bits here.
speedy is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 18th February 2012, 14:14   #5
Distinguished - BHPian

Sad reflection on AUDI.

I never understood the logic behind saying that its the dealers/representative's fault and not the company. For Gods sake the dealer/SA is the face of the company to me. This is no middle man I found over the internet. This is a guy certified by the company itself to showcase there product range to the customer. If they don't deliver to my expectations its the company's fault, If they give me bad service it is the company's fault. You can't pass on the blame on to the dealer and say that the company per se is not at fault here.
drmohitg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th February 2012, 14:23   #6
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedy
Rishi Kapoor i think your approach is wrong or maybe i have got it wrong. I dont think its right to black ball Audi India due to a Dealership representatives fault. As you say your a Senior Executive yourself, so a flaw by a dept does not mean the entire company is at fault. I do agree your time and fuel was wasted in the excercise, but that again was a choice you made. I personally dont wait beyond 10 mins at a dealership if i have taken an appointment and just ask the person to send the car either to the office or at home at a time that suits me. The dealership representative that you dealt with should be taken to task. I also do believe the Audi India officials are not sales representatives and do not do sales calls and cannot hand over the car to just anyone unacommpanied by their sales staff, you need to be a real big shot (G.H.S. caliber) for that too happen. So i guess its just right what they did in asking you to ge to the dealership and accompanied by the sales person to take a TD. The Bombay dealers have been friendly..before time and helpful, so no complains with them atall. This is just my two bits here.
I respect your perspective but brands are worn in heart by exec who work for them. Not sure how much Hindi you know but still let me quote "Ek hi ullu kaafi hai barbad gulistan karne ko"

Not sure if you noted, this was not done by dealership, this was due to Audi India's senior officials' pressure.

Talking about senior leadership, if I get such a escalation about any of my leader, I guarantee, he will be thrown out in less 30 minutes.

Don't be judgmental. By the way...I am big shot!
rishi_kapoor is offline   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 18th February 2012, 14:46   #7
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rishi_kapoor View Post
I feel sorry for your experience.

Just goes to show that beauty lies in the eye of the beholder. I always wear a band on my sleeve that says "I am a big shot" to avoid all confusion. But I find nobody takes it seriously.

Cheers,
diffsoft is offline   (7) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 18th February 2012, 14:48   #8
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedy View Post
Rishi Kapoor i think your approach is wrong or maybe i have got it wrong. I dont think its right to black ball Audi India due to a Dealership representatives fault. As you say your a Senior Executive yourself, so a flaw by a dept does not mean the entire company is at fault.
I don't quite agree with you! With the statement you make, No companies should have dealers; they should directly start selling & servicing the cars they manufacture! If they assign dealers to work on their behalf, then they better train the staff to behave properly & stick to the commitments they make!

And above all, we are talking about an R8 !!! How many R8s do Audi sell in India every month? And if they treat an R8 potential customer what should people perceive about Audi India or their so called dealers?
swiftnfurious is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 18th February 2012, 14:52   #9
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by diffsoft

I always wear a band on my sleeve that says "I am a big shot" to avoid all confusion. But I find nobody takes it seriously.

Cheers,
Haha. I didn't men to offend anyone. It doesnt matter whether you are big shot or not. Every organization must treat every customer as its only customer, that's my philosophy.

I have nothing against anyone. May be speedy misunderstood, I never wanted vehicle alone. They were in a convoy and an experienced rally driver would had accompanied me. They invited me for this drive and kept a separate slot for me. Do you feel it was justified to just say "sorry you may leave"?

Nevertheless, it was good now at least Audi is off my list. So now I just have to decide between a BMW and Merc.

My heart says Bimmer
rishi_kapoor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th February 2012, 15:36   #10
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedy View Post
I dont think its right to black ball Audi India due to a Dealership representatives fault.
The dealer representative represents the dealership which in turn represents the brand Audi. For all the marketing millions that companies spend on branding, the face of the company is the sales person. That's precisely why so many brands spend a lot of time & effort in training the sales executive. For most people who are physically exposed to the Audi brand, he is the ONLY face attached to it.

The pre-sales experience is one of the most important influences on a purchase, and it entirely depends on the sales representative (who the dealer & brand are responsible for).

Quote:
I do agree your time and fuel was wasted in the excercise, but that again was a choice you made.
His choices were made based on the information provided to him by the dealer.
GTO is offline   (6) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 18th February 2012, 15:50   #11
BHPian

I am sorry to add, but this is the same state with almost all VW owned brands - Audi, VW and Skoda.

Maybe in Mumbai, you might have had a better experience with the Audi dealer (perhaps because there are 2 of them and some internal competition still keeps them on their toes).

Down South, it's just 1 dealer for each of these brands. While Merc and BMW are still not a 100% pro-active; Audi and VW simply have this take it or leave it attitude; they could not care less. Now why would I would I want to plonk 50 or 60 big-ones with a company represented like this?

I for one would take a whole bunch of the top and mid level management from Toyota and move them to Audi / VW; so that they can get their customer-centric bearings right !!
ecclipse78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th February 2012, 16:20   #12
BHPian

Default re: Horrible Audi R8 test-drive experience. *UPDATE* Audi makes up for it!

Quote:
My heart says Bimmer
Your heart says bimmer !?

Palio, Petra, Cedia, Outlander As if you ever listen to your head.

Every single car that you own is bought by a person who loves to drive and cares two hoots to other peoples reviews, perceived image, ease of maintenance etc.

So why the confusion. Go for the bimmer big shot.

Last edited by revintup : 18th February 2012 at 16:21.
revintup is offline   (6) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 18th February 2012, 17:49   #13
Team-BHP Support

Default re: Horrible Audi R8 test-drive experience. *UPDATE* Audi makes up for it!

It's funny how big companies manage to be either really horrible, or excellent; when it comes to delivering their services. At times, they do such an amazing job that the owner is left happy and satisfied. On other occasions, they make a meal of it.

I agree, that it isn't right to treat a potential customer, that too someone who expresses interest in buying one of Audi's most expensive cars. It's not good for business. A customer who is ready to plonk 1.5 crores on a car will certainly like to be treated like someone who spends 1.5 crores on a car. Heck, no one expressing any interest in buying any car should be subject to such behaviour.

That said, completely writing them off may not be the answer. Make them apologize. Give them the cold shoulder. Show some attitude and tell them that you're tilting towards Porsches and BMWs.

They may be losing a potential customer, but the potential customer is going to miss the opportunity of owning a wonderfully sorted piece of automobile exotica.

Always look at both sides of the coin. perhaps Audi was in some sort of pickle and there were some serious communication issues. Maybe it just wasn't their day. Everybody has bad days. I'd give them the benefit of doubt.

Quote:
So? In a way, you're asking to be judged.

Last edited by suhaas307 : 18th February 2012 at 17:51.
suhaas307 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th February 2012, 18:17   #14
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by suhaas307
So,In a way, you're asking to be judged.
no my friend. I am very ordinary Indian. I was only making a point. I have no airs about my position etc.

I am only an auto enthusiast. I am considering an Audi, Bimmer or Merc purchase in next some time but only very humbly to move in that category.

I can't afford a 1.4cr vehicle today but will definitely own it someday soon.

I received an invite to experience R8 and that is how this story started

By the way, the intent is to make them realize that they did a mistake and that is all. I have nothing against Audi or any dealer.
rishi_kapoor is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 19th February 2012, 10:16   #15
BHPian

Guys, Just wanted to update you. In evening I got a call from a senior Audi official. He owned up the mistake and offered unconditional apology for goof-up. I guess this was good enough, I wanted them to realize the mistake and was happy that they owned it.

Even though I told them that this is enough, they insisted that I experience Audi R8 Spyder and promptly sent a whole team this morning to my place and gave me sports car to experience for over an hour and I gladly obliged with couple of rounds on expressway.

I will share the pictures and "turned positive" experience shortly on forum.
rishi_kapoor is offline   (8) Thanks Reply With Quote