Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Indian Car Dealerships

Old 20th February 2012, 21:26   #16
BHPian

Default Re: Purchased BMW Performance kit; Parsoli Motors (Surat) won't return my original pa

Tints indeed effect operation of remote. Also excessive water usage while installing may cause some elec component failure and cause window motors to stress and fail soon. So bmw guys are right when saying it may void warranty.

Anyways who i am here to judge.. I have tints, 19" wheels and lowered on kw v2.

Last edited by taranonline : 20th February 2012 at 21:29.
taranonline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th February 2012, 23:31   #17
Team-BHP Support

Default Re: Purchased BMW Performance kit; Parsoli Motors (Surat) won't return my original pa

Quote:
Originally Posted by cvc2145 View Post
The funniest thing that ever happened to me was when the service manager came to my car and exclaimed 'Oh Shoot! Sir, you've installed window tints. Your car warranty might be voided now'. Repeat, cars warranty declined because of applying window tints to it.
No comments on his reasoning for the above, however, i have heard of some issues on 320ds with tints.

In particular; the (aftermarket?) tints getting scratched due to the tiny additional thickness they add to the glass, which touches some part on the window sill.

Perhaps 320d owners here can expand on this...

cya
R
Rehaan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th February 2012, 23:37   #18
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rehaan View Post

cya
R
Its because there is no felt lining on the inner part of the trim so the tints get scratched. Of course there is a remedy Moleskin Felt Anti-Scratch Window Tint Kits which I shall be getting for my car soon
Akshay1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st February 2012, 05:03   #19
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbanator View Post
CVC2145

First of all Congrats on your new purchase .

Do you have a written Quote from them ? Are you very sure they have not adjusted any money against the original parts ? This may be different from Trade-in , like last month my company guys bought an Innova & Toyota Dealer in chandigarh conveniently kept all 5 steel wheels , when I came to know and checked with there spare part adviser , he cleverly told that they have charged Rs 1000 less for Alloys . I immediately sent Rs 1000 to get 5 steel Rims back . So communicate with someone senior at dealership preferably by mail and ask for price break up . You will have a written proof if you want to escalate this issue with BMW .

Tint films probably affects operation of window glass in few models , most likely because of profile of Glass , I had faced problem of some noise in my X6 front window as thickness of 3M film that I had used was interfering . Maybe dealer was not able to explain you properly .
Quote:
Originally Posted by taranonline View Post
Tints indeed effect operation of remote. Also excessive water usage while installing may cause some elec component failure and cause window motors to stress and fail soon. So bmw guys are right when saying it may void warranty.

Anyways who i am here to judge.. I have tints, 19" wheels and lowered on kw v2.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rehaan View Post
No comments on his reasoning for the above, however, i have heard of some issues on 320ds with tints.

In particular; the (aftermarket?) tints getting scratched due to the tiny additional thickness they add to the glass, which touches some part on the window sill.

cya
R
The sales receipt I got had no deduction from the original parts. Just had the breakdown of all the new parts used and their costs.

I understand all your concerns about the window tinting and possible after effects. All your points are correct, but that cannot lead the manufacturer to void their warranty on parts, much less warranty on the full vehicle. The tints interfering with the remote can only cause an inconvenience because of disruption in the signal, but it will not damage any of the cars electronics. I'm not very familiar with this, as I've never seen any remote issues arising with tinted cars except for the S-class previously mentioned, so it is hard to say.

Regarding the window motor life and operation, the manufacturer have to water proof these modules as they already are subjected to alot of water abuse, mostly rain water and car wash water going down through the window sill, no matter how good the window sill sealing is.

Good info on the tint surface scratching, probably I should ask akshay to get me a pair of moleskin felt kit along with his ; But then again this is a personal drawback of having tints in 320D's and would affect only the longevity of the tints installed, the scratches would be on the tints surface, not even on the surface of glass. They in their right mind cant use some tint scratching as a reason for voiding the cars warranty. Plus according to the manager the bmw handbook says 'tints are not recommended.' It is a recommendation, not mandatory.

Last edited by cvc2145 : 21st February 2012 at 05:09.
cvc2145 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st February 2012, 10:02   #20
BHPian

Some swift owners had ecu bust from windows tinting. So you really cannot be sure about mods.
taranonline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st February 2012, 10:20   #21
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by taranonline View Post
Some swift owners had ecu bust from windows tinting. So you really cannot be sure about mods.
I'm sorry but this is what leads to misconceptions. ECU's never get bust due to window tinting. They have a very rare chance of shorting during installation of front sunfilm alone.

For front sunfilm installation one has to clean the inside of the front glass. This is done using a spray solution. Excess water may drip into the front AC vents and seep into the area where the ECU is located. This may cause a short circuit and fry the ECU. Extremely extremely rare case only.

Else sunfilm is completely harmless.

edit: just saw your earlier post where you mentioned the same.

Someone mentioned about remote locking not functioning after sunfilm fitting. This is a possibility as well as poor mobile signal reception after fitting of sunfilm in the car. This happens when you opt for reflective tints that resemble a mirror from the outside. These tints have metal particles which give it the reflective property as well as higher heat rejection. The metal particles can block radio signals like FM radio, cell phone and remote locking.

If you go for regular black tints then this will also not happen.

Last edited by Vid6639 : 21st February 2012 at 10:30.
Vid6639 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st February 2012, 11:08   #22
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
For front sunfilm installation one has to clean the inside of the front glass.
How is that the warranty is not void if the dealer fixes the same tints. The case of VW where the dealer fixes the tints as part of sales does not void warranty while the same VW questions tints when fixed by outsiders.

Even maruthi cries out loud if you request them to fix a horn when you buy it from outside. THe same horn may cost 20% more in maruthi and they will only fix that.

I do not see any one manufacturer being decent with warranty.

The same window sill i told about previously is still being installed at US in dealership who want to ensure warranty is not impacted because of this changes.
VW2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st February 2012, 17:12   #23
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by cvc2145 View Post

On goes the installation and after everything gets done, they conveniently decline handing me over the original parts that came in with the car. Now, even when the power kit was paid in full, and no trade-in was discussed, they took over the brand new original parts just because they had first access to it. They are yet to give me a logical reason behind it rather than 'Sir, bmw company policy'.
A couple of logical reasons I can think of -

- They don't want BMW parts to end up outside the manufacturer-dealer network.

- They probably have "green" procedures to dispose off parts in an environmentally friendly manner.
smartcat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 21st February 2012, 21:57   #24
BHPian

Guys, just a quick update. I'd gone to the dealership today and the service manager extended his hearfelt apologies. He also promptly returned all my parts which were pre-packed properly in boxes. I had a long discussion with him regarding my complaints with the dealership which he tried to understand and apprecaited the frankness. He also assured me that my warranty will not be voided due to the installation of tints or even non-rfts. I'm travelling right now and unable to find a computer to go online. Ill catch up with the discussion when I can get a pc nearby. Thanks for all the suggestions and opinions provided. Cheers.
cvc2145 is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote